TwitterPeek: “Epic Fail of the Week”? I am amazed that Consumer Reports, a magazine devoted to thriftiness and smart purchases, is not impressed by a $100 device that only does Twitter and has an $8/month service fee. [Consumer Reports Electronics]

Comments

1. hypnotik_jello says:

if you plan on using the device for more than a year, you should be getting the $200 version w/ lifetime service.

2. Riff Raff says:

For $15 a month, “messaging” phones can get unlimited Internet. Since I’ll bet that 99% of people using Twitter already have cell phones, this concept is inherently retarded. I really fail to see the purpose of this device.

3. Papercutninja says:

This is most likely for older people who can’t handle multi-function gadgets. For chrissake, i see people with an iPhone AND an iPod being used simultaneously. IDIOTS.

• downwithmonstercable says:

@Papercutninja: I lawl at that also. Listening to their ipod while using the internet on their iphone.

• Orv says:

@Papercutninja: My guess is the number of older technophobes who also have a desire to use Twitter is vanishingly small.

• valthun says:

@Papercutninja: my ipod has 80GBs of storage as compared to 16GBs of storage, so I don’t have to worry about which songs to put on it. Also, I will use the ipod while commuting, the battery life is much better for that purpose and i don’t have to recharge it every day. On top of which, when necessary I can put the ipod in the car, hooked up to the radio and i don’t have to remember to grab it to still accept calls.
      I do listen to music in the iphone occasionally, but most often its used for apps, internet, texting, and the occasional phone call.
      There is still room for a phone that does everything and a standalone media player. I also travel, with an iphone, ipod, DSlite, PSP.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Papercutninja: I only get that if you hae your iPod and iPhone, want tunes, but you don’t have a cord to recharge your iPhone. It’s a big battery killer if you want to listen to music for hours.

• RobertBaron says:

@Papercutninja: I see nothing wrong with this. The primary function of my iPhone is as a phone. Yes I can listen to music and do all other things on it, but those eat up the battery. So if I know I maybe away from a charger then I’ll save my iPhone battery and use an iPod to listen to music. Also, I can store most of library on my iPod whereas I get a fraction on my iPhone.

Of course, I’m referring to an iPod Classic. I, personally, don’t see a point in owning a Touch and a iPhone.

4. wgrune says:

In the words of Alton Brown, it is a unitasker.

5. guroth says:

maybe I can hook this up to my toilet to twitter every time I flush

6. TaviRider says:

It’s a target market fail. The target market has to have two attributes: They have to be hardcore Twitterers, and they have to lack a mobile phone.

7. Michael the Great says:

I don’t own a mobile phone. If I were into twitter, I would go for the $200 because it’s so much cheaper than a good phone and data plan even over the period of a year!

8. PsiCop says:

The weird thing about this is that Twitter was explicitly designed to be used on cell phones using just plain old messaging, it doesn’t even require a browser or data connectivity at all. That’s the reason for the 140-character limit, among other things. Why would anyone who already has a cell phone pay for this?

9. Danj3ris says:

@Colonel Jack O’Neill: While I agree with the general sentiment expressed by your post, I believe it could have been worded in a matter more becoming of a consumerist reader.

10. Sneeje says:

@SaraFimm: cheaper because you you’re assuming they won’t want cell or data service?