Consumerist Meetup Great Success!

Last night’s first ever Consumerist meetup went off like gangbusters. At least 75 people showed up to Botanica Bar in New York to drink our beer, mingle with one another, watch movies, and celebrate prolific commenter GitEmSteveDave, who has been asking for a labcoat in the comments for months, receiving said much-desired and deserved labcoat. More pictures and highlights, inside… UPDATE: Adding new event pictures, courtesy of commenter NYBiker!

It was really cool to see everyone last night. People were right there when we started at 6pm and by 7pm the room was packed and filled with an excited and enthusiastic energy. I met several people who said they read the site for years, even since it began. Commenter Jpropaganda was there. He told me about a cool project he is doing called where he and his friend are competing to see who has the superior mustache. Tweet your vote and for every vote each guy gets, his opponent donates a penny to fighting cancer. Pretty rad. Reader Chris, whose story we ran last year, was there too. I met three couples where the guy was always sending the girl Consumerist stories. Jody read the site for 3 years and was only in town for two weeks and wanted to make sure she hit the party. By the end of the night I saw Consumerists who had never met before giving each other big handclaps in farewell. Many thanks to Botanica Bar for providing such an excellent venue and being great hosts, and thanks to Rooftop Films for providing the high-quality A/V equipment rental at a good price. I’m very happy with how things went and look forward to throwing the next one! (perhaps we’ll come to your hometown next!)

Dallas and Raf of Internets Celebrities present their awesome videos.

I do a little dance.

Commenter GitEmSteveDave prepares to qualify.

The presentation of the labcoat.

Meg is overcome with emotion.

This guy! He has labcoat!

The donning.

Does it fit?

It fits!

Readers throng to receive free Consumerist tshirts and free subscriptions to

Take some pics last night? Send ’em to and I’ll add them to the post.

1. pop top says:

That is awesome. Yay SteveDave!

2. donnie5 says:

I hope no one received bad customer service there…I mean, who would they write into to complain?

• GitEmSteveDave_ Natural H1N1 Cure says:

@donnie5: Actually, I did have a Camel cigarette rep lie to me and tell me the cheap Chinese knock off lighter he was giving away for my soul was a Zippo. You shouldn’t tease a Zippo collector like that.

3. MissPeacock says:

HAHAH! The long-awaited lab coat! That is SO awesome!

4. ARP says:

Does GitemSteve wear the hat in New York? Brave.

5. Bladefist says:

ah I wish I could have drank your beer

6. MostlyHarmless says:

Okay, so who is next in line? Catastrophegirl? Trai_Dep? Eyebrows?

By the way, we had a mini-meetup on Skype while these guys were downing beer.

More than 3 people showed up, and a couple of them even stayed till the end!

Oh and I got a 9/10 … on accent.

It was a fun – though exclusivist – affair. Not intentional though. We just werent sure if it would be a good idea to give out original skype ids, so we created alternate ones, and by the time we were done, it was too late to let anyone know/plan for it.

Though we WILL have the skype meetup again in the near future. And this time it will be better organized.

For starters, add mostly.harmless.42 to your skype contacts, and IMPORTANT: mention that you are from Consumerist, so I dont ignore you as spam.

Warning: Inanity Might Ensue.

7. SPENCERG says:

I missed something– why did GitEmSteveDave receive a Consumerist Labcoat?

8. Cogito Ergo Bibo says:

Yay, GitEmSteveDave! I presume we will now find you offering free medical exams throughout the city?

9. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

So, did anyone hook up? :D

• Trai_Dep says:

@Applekid: Almost. Until someone asked to check someone else’s receipt. Followed by a poorly-aimed slap, that hit a 2-year-old kid by mistake (his fault, he just got off an airplane). Which, owing to the fact that the boy had a conceal-and-carry permit, was, in retrospect, unfortunate.
      One of the resulting ricochets bounced off a shelf, which since it was imported from China, collapsed due to shoddy construction, spilling three tubs of oatmeal onto the floor. The good news was that that bullet was stopped by a mound of Snuggies, but the bad news was that it awoke whatever dark, malevolent presence was napping there.
      The last thing that anyone remembers was a feral black blur of hyperactive, antic motion that crossed from one side of the bar to the other, scattering both people and the carefully-placed stacks of free KFC vouchers. The blur dissipated a half hour later, only when the last flake of oatmeal was hoovered up in a purring, mewling, caterwauling of determined satisfaction until, like a fluffy djinni of yore, gathered itself up into a small furry bundle of sated cat, who promptly napped.

I’d normally guess the crowd would be stunned by all of this. But it’s NYC, so everyone shrugged and said, “Meh – another Wednesday night, huh?”

10. TakingItSeriously is a Technopile says:

Yay … glad to see the event went well :)

11. wickdchameleon says:

It all sounds so interesting… Did no one take a camera to the meetup? can someone post some pics?

12. Lez Lemon says:

Has that labcoat been tested for flammability?

• subtlefrog says:

@Lez Lemon: See, now this is why I need a lab coat. I may be the only one here who has actually caught a lab coat on fire in the coarse of my day – so I can be a tester!

13. valueofaloonie says:

Not only a lab coat, but your own tag as well?

I am officially (even more) jealous. :)

14. schiff says:

The best thing about GitemSteveDave’s labcoat is that he even wore it to the diner after we left the consumerist meetup! That guy should seriously write a book with all the crazy stuff he comes up with BTW.

15. Caged Wisdom says:

@nybiker: I realize that’s probably the truth but it’s not as much fun. So there.

16. ElizabethD says:

Now we know who GitEmSteveDave *really* is: Manhattan’s very own naked cowboy! right? amiright??????

Great pic. Looking forward to more.

17. cooljammer00 says:

Ah, I’m glad to see it was a fun time for all. I guess I’ll go to the one in a little under a year when they’ll let me into bars. Underage, and all.

18. celtlion says:

Looks like a good time had by all and everyone looks soooo young! ;)

19. HogwartsAlum says:

Awwww! Looks like fun. I’m sorry I couldn’t go. :P

20. Duckula22 says:

those ears make great handles for…

21. firestorm888 says:

WEST COAST::: All of us in the North Bay need to come together at this this juncture – fun is to be had – we need a Nor Cal Consumerist Meetup – Meg and Ben – any plans to come out this way – before holidays? After?

22. Laura Northrup says:

That’s me and my formidable forearms off to Mr. SteveDave’s left, by the way.

23. Toffeecake says:

So, when are they having a meetup in DC?

24. ElizabethD says:

Dudes… We need captions on those pics. Well, I know who GitEmEtc. is, and Ben and Meg. But the others?

• nybiker says:

@ElizabethD: You’re asking me to remember things after drinking. Ok, the pic with the 2 guys on the couch (one is raising a toast): They are Dallas and Raf of Internets Celebrities. Below that photo is a photo of the their director and his girlfriend (Ann, IIRC).

25. azsumrg1rl says:

Speaking of free subscriptions to, I never received mine for taking the survey. I sent an email to the address we were told, and no response. It’s a bit disappointing considering, well, you know… :-/