Quicken Online To Be Shut Down Next Year, Accounts Merged With Mint

When news broke back in September that Intuit, the company behind Quicken, was buying personal finance website Mint, everyone wondered how the two services would co-exist. The worst case scenario was that Mint would be absorbed somehow into Intuit’s in-house competitor, Quicken Online. Thankfully, it looks like the opposite will happen.

Mint founder Aaron Patzer, who is now the new vice president and general manager of Intuit’s Personal Finance Group, told TechCrunch, “Over the next 6 to 9 months we will end-of-life Quicken Online and their customer’s data will be migrated over to Mint.” Patzer also talked a little about what Mint might look like in the future, as Intuit weaves products like Turbo Tax into the service:

Patzer has other ideas for connecting Mint and TurboTax as well: “What I want to do is to take your stock transactions and everything you’ve tagged in Mint as a medical expense or business expense and push that over to see if you should itemize deductions. If we pull in your 1099s and deductions, we have done half your taxes for you. We could reduce the time it takes you to do your taxes to 20 minutes or less.”

“Mint’s Aaron Patzer: “We Will End-Of-Life Quicken Online” In Six to Nine Months” [TechCrunch]

Comments

1. BrandonOBrien says:

I didn’t really like mint. I prefer sites like [www.clearcheckbook.com] or [www.buxfer.com]

It’ll be interesting to see what happens to that site. Intuit seemed to eff up quicken online pretty well, so we’ll see if they do the same to mint.

2. Darklighter says:

Good things about Quicken:
    Supports my credit card
    Better iPhone app

Good things about Mint:
    Better web app

Can they please merge these lists for me?

3. Harry Manback says:

I actually have an account with both because Mint doesn’t have my credit union (which has 75% of my savings) and Quicken doesn’t have my 401k (which has 90% of my retirement funds). I hope that I can finally have one solution with all of my financial information aggregated.

4. zandar says:

As more items are integrated with Mint, it makes me wonder how Intuit will make money.

I mean, other than an increase in sales of Turbo Tax. (I’m guessing their deductions piece would only work electronically with Turbo Tax.)

Mint email offer to sign up for a “premier” account subscription in 3..2..

• qwerty001984 says:

@zandar:
      I pay for online submission of my taxes. If doing it with quicken and my mint accound makes it easier I would certainly do that.
      I think it is a great idea to be able to use what you tag in mint and automatically do your deductions.

5. Steel_Pelican says:

I have both as well. I hope that doesn’t turn into a nightmare of double transactions.

I prefer Quicken’s checkbook-like feature that let’s me track upcoming withdrawals, but Mint has a much smoother interface and better transaction recognition.

Let’s hope it’s a best-of-both-worlds scenario.

6. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

On a vaguely related note, when I started up MS Money yesterday, I got an ad offering a meager discount on Quicken. I’ll go back to hand tallied entries in a checkbook register before I give Intuit another dime though.

7. kexline says:

I hope that they build a check register (well, I guess that would be better termed a “transaction register”) into Mint. Quicken Online has it, Mint doesn’t, and I’m really not clear on why I’ve continued using Mint after I found that out.

Possibly because I’m a sucker for pretty colors. Yep.

Quicken could also teach Mint a thing or two about auto-renaming, though I haven’t used QO enough to know whether it’s any good at that.

8. iamlost26 says:

I had an account with both too. One for investment accounts (Mint) and one for bank accounts (Quicken). Mint didn’t support my local bank, and Quicken did. Quicken didn’t support any of my P2P lending accounts, but Mint did. Personally, I think Quicken’s look is better overall, except for their lack of “cents” (get it?) in the overview and the fact that they don’t have a refresh all button. Mint is getting really annoying though, especially with the 500 alerts I get each day telling me Lending Club took out $0.01 for lending fees.

• courtarro says:

@iamlost26: You can turn off alerts for fees, or enable them only for fees over a certain amount.

• iamlost26 says:

@courtarro: Actually, I’m talking about the alerts on the main page, which you can’t turn off. Sure, I can just annoy it, but my real alerts get buried within them and it’s a little disconcerting to see that I have 95 alerts whenever I log in.

9. Cant_stop_the_rock says:

Awesome. I’m wondering if they will start charging for it, because I don’t imagine that Mint is making a profit with their ads.

I wouldn’t mind paying a couple of dollars a month, it’s such a great tool it’d be worth it. Nothing has ever worked as well for me as Mint does.

10. all4jcvette says:

I miss Microsoft Money

11. Colonel Jack O'Neill says:

I’ll rather keep track of everything in a spreadsheet then to give anyone my account information.

12. RogueWarrior says:

I hope Intuit dies a slow horrible death. They’ve basically said to all Mac users “Go f*ck yourself, we’re never porting anything but the basics.”

13. AnonyLawyer says:

Mint would be amazing IF you could adjust your “month” to begin when you ACTUALLY GET PAID. My husband and I get paid once a month (close to the end of the month) and we basically pay all of our bills the last week of the month. So, our month begins on the 21st, for example and extends through the 21st of the following month. Mint doesn’t begin to calculate our “monthly” expenses until the first and this function CANNOT BE CHANGED. The graphs, spending habits, etc. were useless to us because it would calculate half of what we would spend at the end of the month and then reset our allowances on the 1st of the month.

People have complained about this on the mint.com message boards to no avail.

14. Underpants Gnome says:

Please, Mint, Please let me import my 5 years of transaction data from my old copy of Quicken now.

15. Lulu at How I Save Money says:

I have been using both systems and I actually preferred Quicken, especially since they made a few recent changes and offer more information. Oh well, I guess it will not affect me too badly because I keep both up to date…but I really REALLY liked Quicken….I hope Mint gets better.

16. Harry Manback says:

@iamlost26: This. I check every month or so, have sent in multiple requests, etc. It’s a small credit union in Vermont, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m one of the only ones requesting it. I was surprised, however, that Quicken didn’t have a way to access my MassMutual 401k. They didn’t even respond to my request.