Man Attempts To Rob Taco Bell, Then Asks For A Job Application

Well this guy is doing it wrong: We’ve been alerted to a report from Haverstraw, NY where police say a man entered a Taco Bell, waved a gun around, demanded money — then asked for a job application.

From WLTX:

The man, whose description was sketchy , entered the fast-food restaurant just after 2 p.m. Monday and pointing a gun at the cashier, demanded money and told the cashier to get on the floor, said Lt. John Hickey of the Haverstraw Police Department.

The man then walked into the manager’s office, which is located at the back of the store.

“He requested an application for employment and the manager said ‘No,'” Hickey said. The manager asked the suspect to leave; he left the premises in an unknown direction.

This is total failure. He got neither money, nor tacos, nor a job application.

Police: Man Robs Taco Bell, Then Gets Job Application [WLTX] (Thanks, Nicholas!)
(Photo:Morton Fox)

Comments

1. thehouserules says:

Give me all the cash in the register! And three Black Jack Tacos! And some Fire sauce please!

• Difdi says:

@thehouserules: I grew up around hot pepper fanatics. If someone were to rob me, then demand I fix them spicy food for their getaway, they will probably end up in the hospital with pepper-related chemical burns…

2. usa_gatekeeper says:

The guy will be back next with his attorney to sue Taco Bell because they refused to give him an application – discrimination and all that. The earlier incident, he’ll insist, was just a misunderstanding. He was on meds, he’ll say.

• zacox says:

@usa_gatekeeper: Refusing to give someone an application isn’t grounds for any type of discrimination. Simply “not hiring” is the only argument they would need to give.

It’s only when a person becomes an applicant that the employer has to treat the applicant with non-discriminatory practices. And a person doesn’t become an applicant until filling out an approved application.

• bonzombiekitty says:

@zacox: Maybe it depends on the state, but I was under the impression that you MUST give a person an application if they ask for one, whether you are hiring or not.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@bonzombiekitty: that was my understanding of florida law when i was in retail management at three different companies – you must accept the application for employment even if you have no intention to hire the person

3. Jesse says:

This reminds me of that sketch in The Onion Movie where an armed gunman holds a bank up in order to get a job.

• GMFish says:

@Jesse: Or the scene in the movie I’m Gonna Git You Sucka where the Black Panthers (not called that in the movie) go down to protest at a local government building, only to get cushy government jobs instead.

4. VioletPheonix says:

Call me crazy but… why not give it to him?? Then you have every bit of his information to give to the cops!

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@VioletPheonix: The manager was in the back so they didn’t see or hear the holdup and the guy didn’t point the gun at the manager so they didn’t know he had one.

• Hooray4Zoidberg says:

@VioletPheonix: That’s true he might have been dumb enough to fill it out. I remember watching one of those dumb criminal shows where some guy held up a liquor store and told he clerk to give a bottle of vodka from behind the counter. The clerk said he can’t without seeing ID so the guy showed him his drivers license. After he left the clerk called cops and gave them his full name and address.

• ExtraCelestial says:

@VioletPheonix: I’m crazy as well then because I was thinking the same thing. In fact I assumed that was going to be the story when I read the title.

Ooo but what if he ended up getting hired because no one realized it was the same guy? They couldn’t get an accurate description from any of the witnesses.

5. rpm773 says:

The man, whose description was sketchy

“I can’t have police draw a picture of him, because I can’t remember what he looks like,” Tom said sketchily.

6. lehrdude says:

Maybe he just wanted to leave his references so they would know he really meant business…

7. Segador says:

This one’s easy. He was simultaneously job searching and protesting South Carolina’s strict open-carry laws.

8. Fuzzy_duffel_bag says:

I thought they meant his description was “sketchy,” as you have to be kind of sketchy to rob a Taco Bell

9. chiieddy says:

Manager was stupid. Should have had him stay and fill it out, complete with address info!

10. GitEmSteveDave_ H1N1 Symptoms List says:

Reminds me of this sketch from The Onion Movie. Life imitates art once again.

11. Saboth says:

That’s gotta take some balls. Someone with a gun asks you for a job application, and you tell them no, and tell them to leave.

12. evilpete says:

the manager should have given him an application and marked it so it could be later identified and routed to the police.

13. MPB says:

Probably not the first time this idiot was in Taco Bell ~ further proof that junk food rots your brain.

14. valthun says:

Well it worked in “Empire Records” why not in real life?

15. sonneillon says:

You need that kind of crazy to work the Taco Bell graveyard shift.

16. smrtypants44 says:

Why didn’t they let him fill out the application then give his personal info on it to the police?

17. Sheogorath says:

Now here I was driving all over town and back again looking for a job.

Next time I’ll just have to take my dad’s .44 with me. THEN somebody’ll hire me!

18. macinjosh says:

“have you ever been convicted of a crime?”

“Not yet.”

19. Danj3ris says:

I’ve been to this taco bell.. The back parking lot is surrounded by what looks and sounds like a rain forest. I could have sworn I’ve heard monkey howling coming from over yonder while I enjoyed my crunch wrap supreme.

20. JennyMack says:

What is this, Empire Records?

21. Smashville says:

Hate to blame the victim here…but doesn’t arbitrarily saying “no” to a request by a guy with a gun seem equally stupid?

22. Traveshamockery says:

Sounds like my last attempt at negotiating a raise.

23. DeeJayQueue says:

Someone’s been watching Empire Records:

Every HR person I’ve ever worked with in retail will confirm that if it’s not a bona fide law, it’s at least common-law or widely enough practiced that for all intents and purposes it is a law to make applications available to anyone who asks for them.

This keeps employers from discriminating by telling applicants they’re not hiring when in fact they may be. It doesn’t stop them from tearing up the application as soon as the applicant leaves, but it keeps the lawsuits down.

Plus, especially in retail, businesses ARE always hiring, at least they should be. There are tons of people looking for jobs and some are more qualified than others, even moreso than current employees. Since, according to [employeeissues.com] , all states to some degree or another are at-will states, meaning employees can quit or be fired with little or no notice and for little or no reason (getting fired usually takes some doing, but you can quit whenever you want). There is always turnover, even when the store is full and there’s no extra payroll hours to spare, people quit or move on or up all the time.

24. nstonep says:

People don’t know a good joke when they hear one.

25. TheKuudere says:

I’ve had much the same thing happen at my work (minus the gun and outright robbing).

A few times I’ve seen someone shoplift from us, then ask for an application right after. On one of these occasions, I was able to get the two women to stay and fill it out in store, which gave our loss prevention plenty of time to get police to the store. And we now had all their information willingly given to us. It’s crazy how stupid some people can be, or how smart they think they are.

Yes, the applications get thrown away. Good luck ever getting a retail job with shoplifting on your record.

26. lehrdude says:

@diasdiem:

Positions Held:

Spork Bandit
    Soda Jerk
    Ham-Burglar

27. AllanG54 says:

Then I guess unemployment isn’t so bad if the people who you might hire don’t want to work because they don’t like the hours.

28. h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

@Skankingmike: Even if you manage to find people that you can hire, I sincerely hope they work out. My store has hired 2 associates in the last 2 months and both have been fired for no call/no shows. We are very clear about pay rate and estimated hours when we advertise positions and interview, so it’s not like they didn’t know what they were getting into.

29. strawberryjam says:

@Skankingmike:

I am having the SAME exact problem. I can offer full-time work, but it’s nights and weekends. I explain with more management, I can give Friday or Saturday nights off to each manager, but it’s required you work holidays – and nobody wants to work Christmas or New Years Eve. If you need a job that badly, you need to compromise on some things if you’re offered a job – like working nights and holidays.

I have people applying for a retail job at a store that’s open 365 days a year, open until 9-11pm, and they can ONLY work 9-5 Monday thru Friday and NO holidays. Do you even know what kind of a job you’re applying to?

I’d LOVE to work those hours, but if I’m here weekends, so are you. I’ll be working Christmas. And I’ll be working NYE. Do I wish I had another job? Yes. But as they say -

the best time to look for another job is when you have one.

30. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

@AllanG54: Don’t like the hours probably means not enough hours to be worth it. If it’s going to take you an hour’s worth of traffic to work 15 hours a week then you’re practically working for free.

31. Skankingmike says:

@AllanG54: @Applekid: hours are full time 40 it’s just we need a weekender and nobody wants to work Sunday.. Guess what? don’t work retail then go back to your corporate life in a office 9-5 oh that’s right you were LAID OFF!

@sonneillon: I haven’t even gotten to drug tests. our company has developed a 100 or so question test that attempts to weed out bad applicants. Ironic part is one of the store managers sisters failed said test once. If you fail the test you are ineligible for hire for up to a year.

@h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes: I hope so too, interviewing today YAY!

32. DeeJayQueue says:

@tbax929 is rooting for a Phillies repeat: Because it would be easy to tell all the colored or gay or old or retarded people that you’re “not hiring” whenever they asked for a job application.

33. zacox says:

@DeeJayQueue: Generally, anything you can do to discriminate before a person applies, can also be done after the person applies, and also after the applicant becomes an employee.

Current EEOC law (check your mandatory break-room posters, people) says that “Applicants to and employees of private employers….are protected under Federal law from discrimination….”

They didn’t say anything about lay people who want to apply, though as mentioned above, discrimination is still possible.

HOWEVER, all that being said, CRIMINAL RECORD is one area in which employers are free to discriminate at will. Since this guy just robbed the business to where he’d be applying, one would presume the business would have ample legal ground to decline the application.

34. Skankingmike says:

@strawberryjam: people are super unrealistic. You loose a job you take whatever you can, and work whatever you have too. I work Saturdays and I don’t have 2 days off in a row, mostly that’s because of school and how I set my own schedule up. But i hate when people tell me they won’t work weekends. you know what then? GTO! Retail does most of it’s business on the weekends!

35. sonneillon says:

@Skankingmike: Yeah with retail you work sundays, but if you are good about negotiation you can get two days off in a row. When I worked for 7-11 I got them to give me Wed and thursday off. Having those days in a row helps. It is not as good as the weekend but it still is nice.

I would have to be hard up to go back to retail though. Too much stress, which is considerable because I am working on my MBA right now while working full time and I think retail just beat me up more physically and mentally.

36. cymph says:

@Skankingmike: Amen, Mike and Mr. or Mrs. Jam! I’m a retail manager who recently accepted a job at a new company after having been fired from my former for working off the clock. That’s right, WORKING. My position wasn’t replaced and we all know it was shady as hell, but moving on… I’m making $5.00 less an hour and my schedule hasn’t been as forgiving but I was thankful just to get a job, let alone be so choosy about it when I was willing to sacrifice my precious free time to actually work. Its one thing when the hours are low and its not worth it, but in this economy people should be willing to take any reasonable offer extended to them. Weeding out the lazy undesirables by their own admission of unwillingness to be inconvenienced by your schedule sounds cheaper than drug testing or background checks anyway!

37. Nidoking says:

@zacox: ALLEGEDLY robbed. Isn’t he innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?