Man Attempts To Rob Taco Bell, Then Asks For A Job Application

Well this guy is doing it wrong: We’ve been alerted to a report from Haverstraw, NY where police say a man entered a Taco Bell, waved a gun around, demanded money — then asked for a job application.

From WLTX:

The man, whose description was sketchy , entered the fast-food restaurant just after 2 p.m. Monday and pointing a gun at the cashier, demanded money and told the cashier to get on the floor, said Lt. John Hickey of the Haverstraw Police Department.

The man then walked into the manager’s office, which is located at the back of the store.

“He requested an application for employment and the manager said ‘No,'” Hickey said. The manager asked the suspect to leave; he left the premises in an unknown direction.

This is total failure. He got neither money, nor tacos, nor a job application.

Police: Man Robs Taco Bell, Then Gets Job Application [WLTX] (Thanks, Nicholas!)
(Photo:Morton Fox)

1. thehouserules says:

Give me all the cash in the register! And three Black Jack Tacos! And some Fire sauce please!

• Difdi says:

@thehouserules: I grew up around hot pepper fanatics. If someone were to rob me, then demand I fix them spicy food for their getaway, they will probably end up in the hospital with pepper-related chemical burns…

2. usa_gatekeeper says:

The guy will be back next with his attorney to sue Taco Bell because they refused to give him an application – discrimination and all that. The earlier incident, he’ll insist, was just a misunderstanding. He was on meds, he’ll say.

• zacox says:

@usa_gatekeeper: Refusing to give someone an application isn’t grounds for any type of discrimination. Simply “not hiring” is the only argument they would need to give.

It’s only when a person becomes an applicant that the employer has to treat the applicant with non-discriminatory practices. And a person doesn’t become an applicant until filling out an approved application.

• bonzombiekitty says:

@zacox: Maybe it depends on the state, but I was under the impression that you MUST give a person an application if they ask for one, whether you are hiring or not.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@bonzombiekitty: that was my understanding of florida law when i was in retail management at three different companies – you must accept the application for employment even if you have no intention to hire the person

3. Jesse says:

This reminds me of that sketch in The Onion Movie where an armed gunman holds a bank up in order to get a job.

• GMFish says:

@Jesse: Or the scene in the movie I’m Gonna Git You Sucka where the Black Panthers (not called that in the movie) go down to protest at a local government building, only to get cushy government jobs instead.

4. VioletPheonix says:

Call me crazy but… why not give it to him?? Then you have every bit of his information to give to the cops!

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@VioletPheonix: The manager was in the back so they didn’t see or hear the holdup and the guy didn’t point the gun at the manager so they didn’t know he had one.

• Hooray4Zoidberg says:

@VioletPheonix: That’s true he might have been dumb enough to fill it out. I remember watching one of those dumb criminal shows where some guy held up a liquor store and told he clerk to give a bottle of vodka from behind the counter. The clerk said he can’t without seeing ID so the guy showed him his drivers license. After he left the clerk called cops and gave them his full name and address.

• ExtraCelestial says:

@VioletPheonix: I’m crazy as well then because I was thinking the same thing. In fact I assumed that was going to be the story when I read the title.

Ooo but what if he ended up getting hired because no one realized it was the same guy? They couldn’t get an accurate description from any of the witnesses.

5. rpm773 says:

The man, whose description was sketchy

“I can’t have police draw a picture of him, because I can’t remember what he looks like,” Tom said sketchily.

6. lehrdude says:

Maybe he just wanted to leave his references so they would know he really meant business…

7. Segador says:

This one’s easy. He was simultaneously job searching and protesting South Carolina’s strict open-carry laws.

8. Fuzzy_duffel_bag says:

I thought they meant his description was “sketchy,” as you have to be kind of sketchy to rob a Taco Bell

9. chiieddy says:

Manager was stupid. Should have had him stay and fill it out, complete with address info!

10. GitEmSteveDave_ H1N1 Symptoms List says:

Reminds me of this sketch from The Onion Movie. Life imitates art once again.

11. Saboth says:

That’s gotta take some balls. Someone with a gun asks you for a job application, and you tell them no, and tell them to leave.

12. evilpete says:

the manager should have given him an application and marked it so it could be later identified and routed to the police.

13. MPB says:

Probably not the first time this idiot was in Taco Bell ~ further proof that junk food rots your brain.

14. valthun says:

Well it worked in “Empire Records” why not in real life?

15. sonneillon says:

You need that kind of crazy to work the Taco Bell graveyard shift.

16. smrtypants44 says:

Why didn’t they let him fill out the application then give his personal info on it to the police?

17. Sheogorath says:

Now here I was driving all over town and back again looking for a job.

Next time I’ll just have to take my dad’s .44 with me. THEN somebody’ll hire me!

18. macinjosh says:

“have you ever been convicted of a crime?”

“Not yet.”

19. Danj3ris says:

I’ve been to this taco bell.. The back parking lot is surrounded by what looks and sounds like a rain forest. I could have sworn I’ve heard monkey howling coming from over yonder while I enjoyed my crunch wrap supreme.

20. JennyMack says:

What is this, Empire Records?

21. Smashville says:

Hate to blame the victim here…but doesn’t arbitrarily saying “no” to a request by a guy with a gun seem equally stupid?

22. Traveshamockery says:

Sounds like my last attempt at negotiating a raise.

23. DeeJayQueue says:

Someone’s been watching Empire Records:

Every HR person I’ve ever worked with in retail will confirm that if it’s not a bona fide law, it’s at least common-law or widely enough practiced that for all intents and purposes it is a law to make applications available to anyone who asks for them.

This keeps employers from discriminating by telling applicants they’re not hiring when in fact they may be. It doesn’t stop them from tearing up the application as soon as the applicant leaves, but it keeps the lawsuits down.

Plus, especially in retail, businesses ARE always hiring, at least they should be. There are tons of people looking for jobs and some are more qualified than others, even moreso than current employees. Since, according to [] , all states to some degree or another are at-will states, meaning employees can quit or be fired with little or no notice and for little or no reason (getting fired usually takes some doing, but you can quit whenever you want). There is always turnover, even when the store is full and there’s no extra payroll hours to spare, people quit or move on or up all the time.

24. nstonep says:

People don’t know a good joke when they hear one.

25. TheKuudere says:

I’ve had much the same thing happen at my work (minus the gun and outright robbing).

A few times I’ve seen someone shoplift from us, then ask for an application right after. On one of these occasions, I was able to get the two women to stay and fill it out in store, which gave our loss prevention plenty of time to get police to the store. And we now had all their information willingly given to us. It’s crazy how stupid some people can be, or how smart they think they are.

Yes, the applications get thrown away. Good luck ever getting a retail job with shoplifting on your record.