Over at the NYT there is a raging debate going on about restaurant server etiquette. We won’t reproduce all 50 “do nots” here, but we did pick a few particularly debate worthy edicts.
6. Do not lead the witness with, “Bottled water or just tap?” Both are fine. Remain neutral.
7. Do not announce your name. No jokes, no flirting, no cuteness.
17. Do not take an empty plate from one guest while others are still eating the same course. Wait, wait, wait.
24. Never use the same glass for a second drink.
27. For red wine, ask if the guests want to pour their own or prefer the waiter to pour.
31. Never remove a plate full of food without asking what went wrong. Obviously, something went wrong.
42. Do not compliment a guest’s attire or hairdo or makeup. You are insulting someone else.
43. Never mention what your favorite dessert is. It’s irrelevant.
This is from just the first 50 of 100, and part two is promised soon. Do you agree with these? Have suggestions of your own?