NeatReceipts Offers Extra Neat Customer Service

Christopher made a mistake when he ordered a NeatReceipts scanner from Woot. He made some incorrect assumptions and ordered the Windows version of the device when he uses a Mac. But even though he was the one who made the mistake, the neat people at NeatReceipts happily swapped scanners with him—for free.

I recently bought a NeatReceipts unit on Woot for $75 ($150 MSRP). I’ve wanted one for a while, and the price was hard to beat. Before buying it, I looked at the NeatCo website to verify which product I was getting; and I noticed they offered two versions: Mac and PC. I assumed it was the same hardware and that I could just get a copy of the Mac version of the software later. Bad consumer = me. The unit arrived, and I opened it and plugged it in. My iMac didn’t recognize the scanner and the bundled software was Windows only. After more thoroughly reading through all of the support docs on the NeatCo website, I realized the Mac and PC versions were truly two different products. My heart sank, but I emailed NeatCo support anyway. To my amazement, they (next day) gave me a link to download the Mac version of the software with a serial number to register it and offered to ship me a replacement scanner (Mac version). I happily agreed. A little over a week later, my Mac edition NeatReceipts scanner arrived. Return shipping for the Windows version? Pre-paid.

I could not be happier with the speed and friendliness of the support I received, especially considering the mistake was mine. NeatCo rocks the party.

I just connected the scanner a few minutes ago and started my first batch of receipts. I cannot yet vouch for the product, but if it’s even half as good as their customer service, it should be fantastic.

1. post_break says:

I also made this same mistake.

2. GC says:

I had a lot of trouble with the unit I bought from Costco recently. Their support for 64 bit versions of Windows is nearly non-existent. They only provided a driver for the 64 bit version of Vista a little while ago, years after it’s release. There’s no Windows 7 driver that works for it as of yet either, and their customer support is not even willing to attempt to assist. I returned mine after several hours of frustration.

• ianbeyer says:

@GC: I bought mine from Costco as well, and grabbed one of the two kinds of packages that were there. As near as I could tell, they were identical. Only when I tried to hook it up to 64-bit Vista did I find out the difference: One was version 3, the other was Version 4. Neatco told me that if I wanted the 64-bit driver, that I was going to have to shell out extra cash for the upgrade, and they refused to budge from that position.

• Con Seannery says:

@GC: Windows 7 is based on Vista’s kernel. The same drives work in most cases.

• GC says:

@ShadowFalls: Oh, I tried both the XP and the Vista drivers. The thing was that the drivers installed just fine, but the scanner would never proceed past the calibration stage. I even tried other scanning programs and ran into the same issue – the hardware will just lock up and refuse to do anything shortly after it begins.

3. Cant_stop_the_rock says:

I believe the hardware is the same for Mac and PC, but the “problem” is that you can’t download the software for free. You typically can with software that is tied to a hardware device; granted, you could use their software with other scanners, but I found that their software isn’t very good anyway.

The “PC” version of the scanner will work with a Mac though – I believe you can buy the software separately, or you can use third-party software with the scanner. I’ve done it on my Mac.

• coren says:

@Cant_stop_the_rock: Hm. That might be the case, but if so, why would the company go to the expense of paying shipping both ways and trading units (and receiving a unit back that they’ll probably have to sell as open box or similar)?

4. Copper says:

It was really nice of NeatCo to do that, but I’m wondering why there’s a difference in hardware for the two operating systems.

5. Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

About a year ago I did the same thing – bought one from Woot ($69.95 or something close), it was for pc, I have a mac. I contacted them and was very pleasant about the whole thing but I didn’t get free mac anything, only a link to purchase the mac version.

Later I sold it on ebay for a nice profit.

6. davere says:

Just another comment to say that I’m also very pleased with the product and the company. One of the better purchased I have made lately.

7. gmark2000 says:

I called them over the summer to ask if I could get the Mac software free if I bought one of the Windows models at Costco. They told me that I would have to buy the Mac software separately – no exceptions.

8. Dafrety says:

This wouldn’t have had to happen if they had both products as the same thing in the first place. I’ve never heard of a piece of hardware like this being just for one platform.

9. Diebesbeute says:

The scanners may be different, but the Mac software would work with both. My experience has been a little different. I have the Windows version, I purchased it just before they came out with the mac version. Instead of giving me a code for the Mac version, they have very nicely told me that I can have the special deal of paying FULL price for the Mac version… so I wasn’t as lucky as this guy even though I went through Neat’s beta of the mac version.

10. breny says:

I’m just adding my 2 cents that I bought one from Woot as well and I absolutely love it. The OCR is great for business purposes. The small size and portability make it great for multitasking. I scan while watching tv in with my husband. I can’t do that with my all-in-one.

I’m also using it for archiving my important documents and other things I want to keep and index (like recipes and decorating ideas I’ve pulled from magazines).

To each his own. Some people see value in the purchase, others don’t.

11. Nitrokart knows CPR and took that guy's wallet says:

Like other people who posted here, why are they making two different versions of the same piece of hardware for separate operating systems? Why not make it easy and have 1 piece of hardware that comes with a CD for Mac and Win drivers? Even better, why not put the drivers up on the website for free? It’s not like you can do anything with the drivers if you don’t have the hardware.

And two, why would the OP purchase the Win version instead of the Mac version, when they had a Mac? Were they hoping to get a CD with Win and Mac drivers? Why didn’t they play it on the safe side and buy the Mac version?

Oh well, at least they got the issue resolved.