Top Posts Of The Week And Open Thread

Vaginal Mints Are A Very, Very Bad Idea
Jobs With The Highest Stress For The Lowest Pay
Copycat Company Sues Original Artist To Void Copyright Claims
Top 10 Crappiest CEOs (According To Their Employees)
Iceland Is So Messed Up McDonald’s Is Giving Up And Going Home

Happy Halloween! Our top posts his week contain spooky tales of copyright theft, bad jobs, and mints that go where most mints dare not go.

(Photo: glx79)

1. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

How hard is it to mount a flatscreen on the wall?

It’s not that big a flatscreen. We’re starting to have to childproof so I’m thinking getting a tippable screen up on the wall is a good idea. Followed by getting a real console of some sort that all the cords can hide in/behind.

I hope I am not getting the H1N1. I feel rotten.

2. AdamBC says:

Is [turning on your porch light = we have candy for Halloween/no porch light = no candy] pretty universal? If not, how do you signify to kids/parents which are the houses it’s OK to trick-or-treat at?

• Paladin_11 says:

@AdamBC: I placed a red “Biohazard” sign on my door yesterday in preparation for Halloween. Today I’ll put up a “Quarantine: Swine Flu” sign. That should keep the little buggers at bay.

The truth is that I separated my shoulder performing my Paladin duties this week and just don’t want to run up and down the stairs all night.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

@AdamBC: I won’t have to worry about porch lights; I’m just going to drive around in my white van with a “Free Candy” sign on it.

3. HogwartsAlum says:

I was wondering how long it would take for the wigged cats to show up on Consumerist.

We had a skating Halloween party tonight, but it got canceled because not enough people signed up. Jerks! I had been invited to a wedding tomorrow, on Halloween, at a haunted hotel, but no, I can’t go because I’m broke. Rats! Rats! Rats!

So I guess it’s just me and the synopsis and some scary movies tomorrow, unless something comes up. :P

4. Smashville says:

Started running recently and have a blog and a twitter devoted solely to that…so I need some readership.

Blog: []
    Twitter: @runnoobrun

5. MostlyHarmless says:

Lets get this on.

1. Had a crazy/fun extended weekend with the parents last time. Went to Clemson-Greenville-Atlanta-Chattanooga. Met up with old profs, and people I used to work with in Clemson. And oh the Clemson Girls. Beautiful, beautiful clemson girls.

2. Going as “cowboy and indian” for halloween tomorrow. Will post pics on twitter.

3. Trai_Dep, you need to get on twitter. Pecan Pi, resolve your twitter issues (create a new one). Others, if you promise not to be annoying and spammy, feel free to join. If you can find me.

4. Finally a weekend where I do not have any work planned to do except for laundry.

5. Maybe I will create a nice looking graph of something.

6. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

First.. New Post-name-phrase thingie.. Opinions?

Second.. My system at work is DOWN and I’m FREAKING OUT.

That is all. For now. Freaking. Out. OMG.

7. MostlyHarmless says:

Oh, and if you have not, do read Phil’s Book. What you say about it says a lot about you.

8. gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

So, i thought it might be fun for everyone to show their pumpkin carvings…
    i’ll go first:

(made with an image from the internet, MS paint skillz, and a dremel.)

9. h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

I had my interview for both promotions at work yesterday, and I’m pretty pleased with how it went. I got to interview for both a high school and a middle school position, which is cool since all the high school team knows of me is what they’ve heard throughout the department.
    I am, however, displeased with how long everything will take. My boss said we should start hiring in late November and argh, it’s so hard to wait that long! I know I’m going to drive myself nuts until then.
    (And okay, it’s also because if I get this thing I’ve promised myself a new set of microdermals, and I reaaally don’t want to try to heal those things up in the winter.)

10. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

“The readers who joined that got error codes and were unable to get the annual sub will be recontacted and provided a link to sign up for the one year trial.”

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

11. pop top says:

Does anyone know whatever happened to nakedscience? I was looking at my old messages and saw one from her and realized I hadn’t seen her posts in a long time — because her ability to comment was disabled. Ha. So if you’re out there NS, I want you to know I miss you! :(

Boring weekend for me. Heading to another casino since my aunt is in town (my mom and aunt LOVE to gamble). Probably getting wasted tomorrow at a bonfire. Sunday will be “hit up the local greasy spoon for recovery food” day, maybe chore day too. :D

12. JulesNoctambule says:

The new Trader Joe’s opened down the road from my house! No more long drives to get my cheap wine and tasty frozen goods — we can even walk there.

13. bornonbord says:

So I just started a new job (hooray!) and they had me freelance for a couple weeks first.

While freelancing (before I turned in any paperwork), someone came by and gave me a company credit card with my name on it. I asked my boss about it and was told that they had requested it. I asked if any of my personal information was needed in order to get the card, and my boss assured me the answer was “No”.

Later that day I had to make a purchase with said card and needed to activate it first.

In order to activate it, I had to enter in the last four digits of my Social Security number.

I called my boss out, who then talked to accounting, and they had, in fact, used my SS# to open the card. They claim that my credit wasn’t touched, and that there is no way that this card could effect my credit.

I told them that I understand that I would probably be getting a company card, but I would really appreciate it if they inform me before using my personal information.

I’m skeptical. What should I do? Is this even legal? Or am I just being a wuss about this?

14. theblackdog says:

So I had my performance review and they still like me here, which is always a good thing. Can’t wait for tomorrow because I am going back to King’s Dominion for their Halloween Haunt, and taking a bud who hasn’t gone here. He should enjoy it.

15. jamar0303 says:

…I feel like I’m missing out, being in a country that doesn’t celebrate Halloween. No, it’s iPhone launch day here.