An Explanation For Why Long Islanders Have Bad Breath

Brian notified us of a grave problem affecting Long Island that’s nearly as depressing as the Islanders’ suckage — the dearth of cinnamon Tic Tacs. He writes:

So, this sounds like a silly topic, but I figured with all the bank failures and credit card problems on the site, something light hearted might be nice.

I have noticed in the stores, there are NO cinnamon Tic Tacs anymore. I have tried various stores, and unless the tic tacs are old, no stores have them.

I HAVE seen a new Christmas Tic Tac that has cinnamon and mint (red + white), but that’s it.

The rest of the world still gets cinnamon, which continues to be listed as a standard flavor on the Tic Tac website. So what’s going on here? Has someone on Long Island horded the cinnamon delights or is there a trade embargo in effect?

Comments

1. temporaryscars says:

You know, I submit a quite a few tips to Consumerist that are A MILLION times better than this story, but as usual, I get a “we’ll look into it” response. Maybe I’ll start emailing my tips directly to Phil.

2. CoarseLive says:

I’ve noticed that you can’t get Flaming Hot Cheetos outside of the Mid-West. I’ve lived in Chicago, Florida and New York, and I can only find them in Chicago.

What gives with that?

3. 339point4 says:

I can report there are no cinnamon tic-tacs on the central Connecticut shoreline either (unless Walmart has them, but I’m not going to check there).

My advice to the OP is to write a letter to the maker of Tic-Tacs (Ferraro, according to wikipedia) and demand to know why there are no cinnamon flavored tic-tacs in your area. In my experience, such a letter will result in one of two things: a handful of coupons for tic-tacs (and no response as to why you can’t obtain them in cinnamon flavor), or a case of free cinnamon-flavored tic-tacs.

Good luck. =)

4. ExtraCelestial says:

If you’re from Long Island bad breath is the least of your problems.*

*Said with love!

• H3ion says:

@ExtraCelestial: I had a geology professor in college who was very fond of pointing out that Long Island was glacial waste, the equivalent of a prehistoric landfill.

• suburbancowboy says:

@H3ion: I never really thought of it that way. Very interesting.

For those not from Long Island, the island was formed as a glacier moved south. As it melted, it dumped rocks, silt etc.

• Trai_Dep says:

@ExtraCelestial: Long Island is the only thing stopping our Northern Overlords from rolling southward and conquering us, simply because they favor the aesthetic pleasure of a maple leaf flag flying from The White House.
      Not because they fear it, but because they don’t want to KEEP it.

5. shockmonk3y says:

On a tangent… Why the hell are tic tacs pumped full of artificial colors in the US? As silly as it sounds, I buy mine via a friend in Toronto.

Up there, they color the container, not the candy.

6. Red says:

I knew something was up with red tic-tacs! I have major problems finding them, as far as I know there are only 2 stores in my city that still sell them.

7. catniplover says:

No cinnamon tic-tacs in my area too…west philly suburbs. It’s been this way for a couple years, one day I looked and they were all gone. Cinnamon is the only flavour I like. Once in a great while I’ll find a cinnamon, but it’s rare. I thought they stopped making them!

But they always have orange – gross.

8. Grabraham says:

Stock up for your personal use and then get rich with your cornered market!!!

[www.amazon.com]

9. H3ion says:

They’re available on Amazon in a 24 pack. I think they ship to Long Island but you may have to bring them in by boat.

• repete7 says:

@H3ion: My husband laughed at me for ordering Cinnamon Breathsavers from Amazon when the local stores stopped carrying them. I live in Southwest Virginia. The Republican candidate for governor has allegedly said that we don’t need lower grocery taxes out here because we hunt our own food. Maybe that’s the problem. Anyone know how to get a hunting license for tic-tacs?

10. JulesNoctambule says:

When I was in Florida this weekend, I noticed that Publix was stocking Tim Tams under the Pepperidge Farm label. Foolishly, I didn’t buy any as I felt the combination of chocolate coating on the biscuit and the long drive home spent in too much Florida heat wouldn’t end well. Now that I’m back in North Carolina, I have yet to find those. Damn you, Florida weather!

• floraposte says:

@JulesNoctambule: Tim Tams? Real Ozzie Tim Tams? [checks driving time to Florida]

• BridgetPentheus says:

@JulesNoctambule:

They are real Aussie Tim Tams, though the special edition ones I still get from my Aussie friends I have a package (pepridge farms) here in Jersey but I can’t remember where it’s from. I believe last time I was hounding them they sold them in a Delaware food chain and south from there. And for some reason a winery down in south Jersey that my parents go to occasionally has real Aussie Tim Tams, seek and you will find. Thank god I don’t live in OZ anymore or I’d be 500 lbs.

11. vladthepaler says:

More importantly, why are ginger and licorice Altoids so hard to find?

12. ArcanaJ says:

I make my own Tic-Tacs at home, but I hear they make you fat and cause “the gay”, so I never eat them and instead raise my own kids like people used too instead of expecting the government interwebz to do it for me.

Wait…

• Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

@ArcanaJ:

I also heard this as well about the cinnamon flavor does cause….

(Please don’t touch the orange ones)

• ArcanaJ says:

@WatchOutNow: I suppose I could make an opposite joke about orange flavor, oranges and Anita Bryant, but that would require way too many pop culture sub-references, and I’m far too busy what with all my tic-tac making and such.

So, you know, your beloved orange ones are safe from me.

• zibby says:

@ArcanaJ: That’s nothing. I make the ingredients that I make my Tic-Tacs out of. At home, of course. Takes about 13 hours a batch (not including growing time for the sugar) but I save almost $0.98, so of course it’s very important to inform the internet.

13. Taliskan says:

The 7/11 on Sunrise in West Islip used to have them all the time. Just sayin’. :)

14. CFinWV says:

Poor dear. Might have to switch to cinnamon Altoids or something.

• BridgetPentheus says:

@CFinWV:
      Tic Tacs don’t have animal products – Altoids do for those whom that concerns they contain gelatin. Newman’s own mints are very tasty though and without gelatin.

15. taney71 says:

Cause Long Islanders are hippies.

16. Trai_Dep says:

The Tic-Tac Overlords deemed that if a locality can’t SPELL “cinnamon”, they don’t get to BUY “cinnamon”.
    It’s pretty kewl. Imagine a dictatorship, run by Grammarians. With rules instead of rifles, and a piercing, hard stare over waterboarding. And NO Cinnamon Tic-Tacs. Oh, no, there will be NO Cinnamon Tic-Tacs for you!

• h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

@Trai_Dep: Christ no, don’t go for that. If we go with the spell-it-and-you-can-have-it rule, we’d barely have any libraries and most of the country would be missing the entire month of February. Just gone, poof.

17. richcreamerybutter says:

I was going to ask, “why can’t I get Herr’s Steak & Worcestershire Potato Chips in NYC?” but it appears they might not be making them anymore.

In any case, why are we deprived of meat flavored potato chips in the US? The ones I bring back from the UK are half crumbs by the time I get them home.

18. gridman-srk says:

People actually like the cinnamon tic-tacs? I never got that. Same thing with Big Red

19. SadSam says:

Sadly, can only get UTZ Crab chips (potato chips with Old Bay seasoning) in Md./Pa./Del.

Yum, crab chips.

20. NewsBunny says:

@subtlefrog: Someone ELSE who hates eggs and mayo?

My long lost-twin!