Give Amazon $80, Get Video Games And $40 Credit

If you have $80 and a lust for video games, Amazon has a deal for you, which was spotted by Joystiq. Spend the money on pre-selected video games and you get a $40 credit.

You’d think the deal would be a clearance mechanism to get rid of crap games, but not so. Some of the titles eligible are the murderer’s row of The Beatles: Rock Band, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, all of which are spectacular.

Of course, you have to take into account the fact that most new video games are ludicrously overpriced, and even the bestsellers are known to drop significantly in price less than a year after they’re released. If you’re an enterprising sort, you could buy some games, sell them online for about the same price and pocket the $40 credit as profit.

Spend $80 on games at Amazon, get $40 in credit [Joystiq]
(Photo: Great Beyond)

Comments

1. gwong says:

Hmm, Toys R Us/Amazon usually did a “buy 2, get 1 free” promo around this time of year for the past few years. That had no restrictions on what games you could get. With most games costing $60 each, you’d be spending $120 in all likelihood to only get $40 in credit and not a $60 game in return. I suppose this is a good deal if you can somehow spend exactly or close to exactly $80.

• Sanspants says:

@gwong: Amazon and Toys R’ Us’ sale was a couple of weeks ago. Best Buy has the sale this week.

I agree, the 2 for 1 deal makes more sense.

• ninja-meh says:

@gwong:
      I found just that, my checkout order was around 80 with some spare change over. Going to cancel my Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 pre-order and try to apply the discount to it.

• dgingras says:

@ninja-meh:

Don’t forget the lesser or equal value restriction. You have to spend 2x $59.99 + tax to get a $59.99 game free. I believe you pay tax on the free game as well. Call tax 7.5%, and thats $133.50 for 3 games.

On amazon, you pay $55 per game, no tax, no shipping. Assuming your third game is from amazon and also $55, the grand total less the $40 credit is $125 for 3 games.

Cheaper on Amazon!

• NinjaMarion says:

@gwong: Oblivion GOTY Edition and Borderlands. Oblivion – $27.49, Borderlands – $53.99. Total = $81.48, with free super saver shipping and $40 credit to go to me finally being able to rock out to Ghostbusters and The Final Countdown when Lego Rock Band hits. :D

@dgingras: Plus, no restriction on the Amazon deal means, like in the example above, you don’t have to go full price. So I’m paying $90-100 (depending on if Lego RB is $50 or $60) for three games, shipped.

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

The Amazon deal was part of yesterday’s morning deals post. I found some great deals, though thinking about spending $80 for video games is mind-boggling. Mr. Pi has been dutifully playing one game for a while now, and it was a gift, so we actually haven’t purchased a video game in quite some time. I don’t see this deal being a great incentive for people like me who aren’t willing to pull the trigger in the first place.

3. tonberry says:

this is only good if you can spend very close to the $80 mark, as yes TRU had their b2g1 two or three weeks ago, and best buy has b2g1 this week for all games 59.99 and under. and while most games do drop in price pretty quickly now, if you pick the right games like uncharted 2 that one will most likely stay at $60 for 2+ years like the first one did. the beatles: rockband will probably stay pretty high for a while too.

4. whateverthisis says:

loving the photo

5. subtlefrog says:

Crap. BF has all these games already.

6. semanticantics says:

Toys R Us had B2G1 last week, Best Buy has it this week. Better deal, especially if you can flip a game or two, maybe offsetting the cost of a game you really want.

7. jayphat says:

Amazon did this on Moden Warfare 2 on the PC after Infiniti Ward’s massive screw-up to to bolster sales. Word is there was a massive cancel of pre-orders and this was done to bring them back.

8. Gospel X says:

This deal isn’t bad for Nintendo first-party games. Those tend to come out around $50 and hold onto that price for years. If you’re interested in a couple of those titles, it’s a good way to get them and grab enough credit for ALMOST another game.

9. consumerfan says:

It’s for console games only, not PC games.

10. dgingras says:

You can easily ring up at close to $80 because amazon dicsounts most titles by 8% compared to SRP. Choose a $60 new game and a $30 classic game. I got Infamous & the original Drakes for $80.33. The $40 credit expires 12/31/09, but it is good on preorders. I’m using mine for FF XIII.

11. coren says:

I’m gonna disagree with the crowd and call this better than Best Buy’s version – you could go out and buy a game like DJ Hero or Rock Band with accessories that costs more than 60 but still less than 120 and get 40 dollars credit too (Wii Fit is a good call here too). Best Buy won’t even allow the purchase of a spendier than 60 dollar game to count towards your free one.

12. Batwaffel says:

And again, no love for the PC gamers. *sigh*

13. Sheogorath says:

A little off-topic, but has anybody else noticed that last-gen (and even some older current-gen) console games on amazon are INSANELY expensive?

80-100 bucks for Wind Waker. 85 for Super Mario Sunshine. One hundred and four bucks for Eternal Darkness.

I didn’t think things became collectors items that quickly.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Sheogorath: It depends. New releases on older consoles carry higher price tags because presumably, the company is making fewer for older consoles but they still have to make them. If they’re older games that were exclusively on last-gen consoles, and Amazon is jacking up the price – well, that’s just shady.

14. Ragman says:

Amazon seems to be jacking the prices around for games that are eligible for the deal.

Pitfall: $21.54 not eligible (do a regular search on amazon), [www.amazon.com]

or $34.49 eligible (from the Wii “eligible” listing). [www.amazon.com]

Noticed the same for Pinball Hall of Fame: the Williams collection.

• Ragman says:

@Ragman: Nevermind – the cheaper Pitfall is sold by Galactics and fulfilled by Amazon. My bad for not reading ALL the way down. When I see “Super Saver shipping” and the lack of a seller name by the title, I assume it’s sold by Amazon.

• Ragman says:

@Ragman: When I just did a search on Amazon for “wii pitfall”, the one from Galatics is the one that appeared in the results. The eligible game did not show up.

15. anewman35 says:

I tried to take advantage of this deal, and Amazon won’t honor it. I’m just getting back into video games after not playing for a while, so I decided to buy some Wii games. One of the games I really wanted was “Wii Sports Resort”, and I was happy to see it was on their list (and, as of now, it currently still is). When you click on it in the list,you get to it’s product page ([www.amazon.com]) where at the time I ordered there was a box where you could choose your edition: “Standard” or “2 WiiMotion Plus Bundle” (it’s gone now, apparently because they’ve sold out of the “2 WiiMotion Plus Bundle”, but you can see it at this page: [www.amazon.com]). I knew my wife and I would both want to play, so I went with the 2 WiiMotion Plus bundle. There was no mention of the special offer when I checked out, but I expected that, since the terms of the offer said “The savings will not be messaged at checkout”. I was a little nervous to order without having proof I was
    getting the credit, but I’ve never had problems with Amazon before, so I trusted them.

Flash forward a week, and I’ve gotten the games and am enjoying them. After 7 business days, I didn’t get my $40 credit, so I e-mailed Amazon and asked why. This was the response:

“Hello,

Your order didn’t meet all of the qualifications for receiving this
    promotional certificate. Specifically, as Limited-Edition Wii Sports
    Resort Bundle with Two Wii MotionPlus was not a qualifying item, your
    order did not meet the $80.00 minimum.

The restrictions for this promotion are on our website here:

[www.amazon.com]

Restrictions for promotional offers vary, so I recommend reading the
    “fine print” details.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.”

I did check the “fine print” details as they suggested, and there was nothing in them about only certain editions qualifying.

Even after I explained the situation, they refused to change their mind, so, no, they won’t be seeing me again soon and I thought people should be warned – DO NOT TRUST Amazon.com Promotional offers, since they apparently think it’s perfectly ok to link to a webpage that lets you choose two versions of a product, only offer the special offer on one version, and not communicate this to the buyer in any way.

So, in short, my new mission in life is to let everybody know what jerks Amazon are, so they lose a lot more than the stupid $40 they won’t give me. Join me, spread the word, DON’T SHOP AMAZON!