Would You Live With Ghosts For Cheaper Rent? 69% Would

Rent.com conducted a survey that found more than 2/3 of renters ain’t afraid of no ghosts, and would live with them as long as they got a hefty discount on rent.

From rent.com’s press release:

While the survey found 11 percent of renters believe they have lived in a home inhabited by ghosts, others would be willing to do so in order to save money. In fact, 69 percent of renters would be willing to crash with Casper for the right price. More than half (51 percent) of renters would share their home with a ghost in exchange for free rent, and over one quarter (27 percent) would do it for half-price.

Three in 10 people who have rented (30 percent) said they’d bunk with the boogeyman if they received free utilities, while nearly one in four (23 percent) would do it in exchange for a free flat-screen TV with cable.

Overall, 31 percent of renters said no deal. Nothing, “not even a million bucks,” would convince them to conquer their phasmophobia (fear of ghosts). However, a greater percentage of males than females are willing to live with ghosts for any given tradeoff (74 percent vs. 64 percent).

This data just goes to prove how much more daring women are than men. Judging from the Twilight phenomenon, a significant portion of women not only don’t fear vampires, they lust after them, so long as they’re metrosexual and sparkly.

So, Consumerists, let’s have it out — would you live with a ghost? Have you?

(Photo: MReder Design)

Comments

1. halcyondays says:

Ghosts maybe, but I draw the line at bleeding walls.

2. SpiderPaintingDollars says:

If it was a friendly ghost. Sure. I’d chill out with him and play video games. I’d also let him morph into a balloon and help me to troll the world. Oh, that has already been done. My bad.

3. pop top says:

Isn’t this how a lot of horror movies start out? “You must stay in your great-uncle’s mansion for one night in order to claim your inheritance! Includes heat, water, sewer and trash.”

• mazzic1083 says:

@squinko: Hmm, Thirteen Ghosts and House on Haunted Hill come to mind. Mostly because Thirteen Ghosts was on AMC last night. I’m not an afficionado but I love this time of year!

• Difdi says:

@squinko: More places are haunted than most people are aware of (or would believe). The thing is, it takes a real superstar class ghost to register on most people’s awareness. Odds are, you’re being haunted right now, but it’s below the threshold for even your subconscious mind to take note.

4. Aristeia says:

“This data just goes to prove how much more more daring women are than men.”

“[A] greater percentage of males than females are willing to live with ghosts for any given tradeoff…”

… what?

5. HFC says:

As long as it wasn’t a Poltergeist, Amityville Horror or Entity type ghost, I’d be fine.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@HFC: Yeah, that’s my thinking as well, though aside from the rent reduction, I just think it would be an interesting experience. I don’t know if ghosts are real, and I’m definitely a skeptic, but I am also fully aware that there are things that we don’t know about and that we can’t explain everything that happens in this world.

• utensil42 says:

@HFC: Yup. So long as it didn’t try to harm or kill me or my family, I’m good.

6. VOIDMunashii says:

I used to live in a house with a ghost. He would break stuff occasionally (the inside pane of the sliding glass door once), but mostly he just changed channels on the tv when I was asleep. Not bad at all.
    If I could get a ghost to help lower my mortgage, I think I would be willing.

7. theblackdog says:

Depends on the ghost. If what I am going to see is some dude who got brutally stabbed to death and he walks around with the blood still running down his shirt, I may not want to stay there.

However, if it was some sexy coed who died in a tragic slip while showering, and she still wanders the halls in her underwear, sign me up.

8. redskull says:

If the ghost didn’t bother my stuff and maybe did some light dusting, sure, why not?

9. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

One of my coworker’s friends is living with a ghost right now and they’re trying their damnedest to get OUT of the place. While I’m trying my hardest to get our ghost investigation group in there before they leave.

10. TheWillow says:

I’d prefer a ghost to my current roommate. Unless his ghost girlfriend moves in with us for 2 months without paying rent.

11. Blueskylaw says:

If the landlord knows that you are willing to stay on a haunted property, he has less incentive to lower your rent.

So for heavens/hells sake, if the place is haunted, don’t let on you’re not afraid, otherwise the landlord will try to take advantage of you.

12. friendlynerd says:

Maybe it just goes to show that 69% of the people don’t believe in ghosts and are happy to get a discount because of other peoples paranoia?

• stickystyle says:

@friendlynerd: Yeah, doesn’t sound like there was a choice of “there is no such thing as ghosts”

and what about…
      “However, a greater percentage of males than females are willing to live with ghosts for any given tradeoff (74 percent vs. 64 percent).”

adds up to 138% WTF?

• Liam Kinkaid says:

@stickystyle: 74% of males vs. 64% of females. Since the population is about 50-50, 37% of respondents were male and would live with ghosts and 32% of respondents were female and would live with ghosts. These percentages add up to 69%.

• downwithmonstercable says:

@friendlynerd: exactly what I was thinking

13. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Wanted: Ghost to reduce my monthly rent.

Home includes creaky doors, walls and windows. Plentiful shadows and ugly wallpapered walls to creep about in, large attic spaces for lurking, hollow floorboards to hide heirlooms describing your horrific fate.

2 bedrooms, 2 baths.

Poltergeists welcome, but need to demonstrate ability to re-arrange furniture/DVDs/books with good ecto-plasmic mobility. Those who fall slightly short may compensate by demonstrating good cleanup and organizational skills.

Ghost dog and cat friendly, but living owners not responsible for ecto-plasmic poo or damage to the furniture.

All emotional baggage will be evaluated by living owners. Immediate disqualifications: Ghosts who met their fate after killing other people or pets.

14. Benny Gesserit says:

One of the previous tenants in our old apartment was a symphony conductor who committed suicide. Friends asked if we thought he’d haunt the place. I said “What’s gonna happen? I’ll get up in the night and find him going though my CD collection saying ‘Sh*t’, ‘Sh*t’ ‘How can you listen to this cr*p?'”

15. floraposte says:

Yes. I’d also be willing to live with Bunbury, Godot, and a six-foot-tall rabbit named Harvey.

• subtlefrog says:

@floraposte: Brilliant. Living with ghosts?

As Pecan Pi said – living with creaks and groans in a house, and perhaps an overactive imagination. And lower rent. Yes, I’d like lower rent, please.

16. 8one6 says:

You know, if it saves me money, they can claim to have a portal to a hellish, lovecraftian nightmare realm in the closet. I have no problem letting someone else’s delusions save me money.

• mazzic1083 says:

@8one6: Ah but that’s where they get you. First you’re all “you’re full of crap” on them and then after a few weeks/months/years you start to believe them.

At least that’s how it works in scary movies

• h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

@8one6: I would not be okay with the portal. I’m really clumsy and forgetful. One minute I’d be all “Okay, self, don’t open that door” and the next, my spare shipping boxes have gone to another dimension because I forgot and tossed them in the closet.

• thisistobehelpful says:

@8one6: Ok, I’m sorry, Cthulhu is a dealbreaker on housemates.

17. HogwartsAlum says:

I grew up in a haunted house/property. It’s not that bad. I wouldn’t mind unless the ghost kept me awake a lot, or hid stuff. Then I’d have a little talk with him/her/it.

Read this book by Richard Peck (children’s/young adult author): Ghosts I Have Been. The part about Minerva the ghostly servant is actually creepy, but kind of awesome too.

• ArcanaJ says:

@HogwartsAlum: I would totally live with a ghost. Unless they refused to reload the toilet paper, then I’m not so sure.

• ARP says:

@HogwartsAlum: Exactly. If it just float around a bit and walks through walls, I’m fine. I’d even tolerate a little re-arranging of things, especially if its Poltergeist-like.

@ArcanaJ: Or if they didn’t refill the ice tray, or if they have loud, drunk sex with their ghost boyfriend/girlfriend.

18. ohmcno says:

Already do – her name is Angela, but she’s pretty benign. House was built in the 1830s, but no break on rent though. I have come across a number of landlords that just want them gone, as they have gone through too many tenants where the spirits try and get them to leave. Just purged four of them with my group from a house on Saturday – sheets kept getting pulled down on the bed, touching on the shoulder, etc.

19. Radi0logy says:

Well, as ghosts don’t exist, I’d gladly live with one to save money. Unicorns, the Loch Ness monster and Jesus would also be acceptable.

• samurailynn says:

@Radi0logy: Jesus would be a great housemate. He’d help with the grocery bill by multiplying food and turning water into wine whenever you had a party.

• mewyn dyner says:

@samurailynn: I dunno. Bread and fish get old after a while. He’d better be able to at least make tuna for some sushi from time to time. Water into wine, though, that’s the kicker for me.

• AI says:

@Radi0logy: Yeah, I read the article as 69% of people aren’t retarded and superstitious.

• Trai_Dep says:

@Radi0logy: Whenever I take a hot bath, Nessie appears, cresting the surface like a long, sinewy serpent. Does that count?

• lpranal says:

@Radi0logy: wait, what? I mean, even if you’re an atheist, Jesus of Nazareth was a well-documented historical figure. It’s like saying Julius Caesar doesn’t exist. he might not be doing the lambada on thursday nights, but i’m sure some of his remains are still occupying space somewhere.

• Radi0logy says:

@lpranal: “Jesus of Nazareth was a well-documented historical figure”

Well documented? How do you figure, exactly? The only records of his Christian incarnation come from three books of the bible that were originally written between 40 and 120 years after the supposed death of the supposed Jesus Christ. That is hardly compelling argument, and comparing it to someone like Julius Caesar, with dozens of accounts from his peers, money with his face on it, a well documented lineage, etc, is more than ridiculous.

I guess you could listen to the Koran, that describes him as a spell-caster and illusionist.. but that probably doesn’t jive with your image of him. Or go to the original source, ancient Egypt. Of course, he was called Horus back then, and looked a little different (that beak was wack!).

• GitEmSteveDave_ThatChickRockingKicks says:

@Radi0logy: You have a new applicant for tenant:

20. vladthepaler says:

How does “a greater percentage of males than females are willing to live with ghosts for any given tradeoff” manage to “prove how much more daring women are than men”? Assuming that living with ghosts is more daring than not living with them, it seems like men are more willing to do the daring thing.

21. erratapage says:

Wow! I wish I would have thought to get a rent reduction for the ghosts!

22. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Obviously everyone afraid of living with a ghost or two has never lived on the Hellmouth. If you survive that, you can live anywhere.

23. Liam Kinkaid says:

That reminds me of this one time that my parents bought a house and it turns out there were two ghosts living up in the attic. The ghosts were kinda cool, but then my parents found out about them. Then the ghosts hired a real dick of a ghost who basically terrorized me and my family. I don’t really care much for my parents because they’re lameo spazoids, but turning the staircase banister into a giant python? Pardon me, but that’s just too much.

24. InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

I have never seen/heard/felt a ghost, though I have plenty of friends and family who have. So, I do believe in them. Would I live with one? Sure, as long as he/she didn’t rearrange my books, or harass the cat too much (it would be okay to harass him a bit, he needs the exercise).

25. Steel_Pelican says:

Yes, because ghosts aren’t real.

26. LMacConn says:

I had a pretty sweet rental, a 2BR two story plus basement house for less than a studio apartment cost in that same area. The house had been abandoned for years after the former owner died in the living room, and there was still blood on the carpet when I took my first walk around. There were a few times where I woke up to the sound of power tools being used in the basement, which stopped when I touched the basement door (the basement had no exit, nor any power tools anymore.)
    It was totally worth the every penny.
    After about a year, I got a roommate, and from there on we just assumed any random weird noises or misplaced items were the other person’s fault and not ghostly in nature. la la la la la

27. YouDidWhatNow? says:

I would live in any “haunted house” so long as my contract forced the Ghost Hunter guys from TV to come to the house every week…so I can punch them in the face for being asshats.

28. Bhockzer says:

Since I’m dead certain, pun intended, the house I grew up in, and recently had to move back into, is haunted I’d have no problem moving into another haunted place. And if there was a reduction in the rent or free/reduced utilities you can sign me up right now.

29. Xay says:

Are we talking kindly poltergeist or vindictive mother who didn’t want her son to move out and walled him inside the residence “Cask of Amontillado” style?

30. madfrog says:

When you buy a house in CT, the people you are buying it from have to verify that the house does not have any ghosts in it. It is an actual legal document. Found this out because one of my friends bought a new house about a year ago and actually showed it to me.

31. edosan says:

I wouldn’t mind living with a ghost.

I wouldn’t mind bunking with the Easter Bunny or the Lucky Charms leprechaun either.

32. YardanCabaret says:

Should compare these results with the percentages of people that don’t believe in ghosts. I think that would be more telling about the results. If the numbers match up then we know that people willing to stay with ghosts probably don’t believe in them.

33. Colonel Jack O'Neill says:

If it’s a friendly ghost, I wouldn’t mind, but if it’s a poltergeist kind ghost that’s wrecking havoc, hell fucking no.

But in the end, I really would care, cause

34. bloggerX says:

Just as long as Casper doesn’t touch the hash, everything’s groovy!

35. gerrycomo says:

Brrr…

If the cheap apartment has this kind of ghost, I’m getting the fruck out.

[www.ghost-pictures.info]

36. jonroknrol says:

We’re cool as long as they help my kids with their homework and play calypso music to reward them.

37. The Porkchop Express says:

Can I get the ghost that haunts Dr. Raymond Stantz? please.

38. h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

This would be acceptable to me if the ghost was:
    1. benign
    2. adult (random child ghosts would creep me out)
    3. prone to communication only at reasonable hours
    4. unlikely to drink my alcohol
    5. nice to the cats

It’d actually be pretty interesting. If a ghost had all these qualities, I might even be more prone to inhabiting a building that had one. We could be friends, I’d leave it a Snuggie on cold nights and everything. Presuming ghosts have cold nights, that is.

39. JGKojak says:

One of my all-time favorite SNL skits was with host John Laroquette as Bob Villa in the Amityville horror house. “Well, what we have over here is a hellpit. There’s really no way to eliminate that, so we’ll just build a nice stone wall around it, maybe some plants, make it a highlight of the room.”

40. digisplicer says:

My wife and I have both heard footsteps in our kitchen while we are downstairs in the den. Sometimes our doors close for no reason, even if they have been wide open for weeks prior. Even our dog seems to see something, barking like crazy at the hanging light in the kitchen once in a while.

Anyway, we’ve never seen anything and never felt in danger so yep, I’d live with a ghost. Ours has been nicknamed “Charlie”.

41. Mecharine says:

I would live with a sexy ghost maid if possible.

42. katia802 says:

I have before, and will again willingly live in a house with ghosts. However, I REFUSE to accept sparkly vampires!!! Those suckers are gettin fed to da pit bull!

43. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

My landlord wanted to get rid of a difficult Catholic tenant who wouldn’t move. I told them (the truth) that the previous tenant, a Freemason, died in his sleep. We found him stone cold in bed (I poked him) even though we swore we heard shuffling and noises when we knocked on his door to check on him. The tenants freaked & wished that someone had told them that before they moved in – and moved out by the end of the month.

44. bonzombiekitty says:

My girlfriend was convinced at one point that the house she lived in last year was haunted. She was saying she heard all this various shaking in the walls. I noticed it too, except my explanation was much simpler.

Me: Ok babe. When did you start noticing this noise?
    Her: At the beginning of November.
    Me: Ok. Now, when did you turn on the heat?
    Her: At the beginning of November.
    Me: Exactly.

It was just the old pipes for the radiators shaking.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@bonzombiekitty: That’s one thing I like about the Ghost Hunters; they work day jobs for Roto-Rooter, so they know about pipes and basements and such, and can debunk something like that pretty quickly.

45. Urgleglurk says:

I’m with Radi0logy on this one.

46. valueofaloonie says:

We grew up with a ghost. Little things used to go missing all the time, only to turn up in weird places…car keys in the freezer, TV remote in the breadbox, that sort of thing. There were also several occasions where everything was removed from our kitchen cabinets and stacked on the dining room table. I also (vividly) remember hearing footsteps upstairs, while I was home alone.

I can’t say how I would react if those things were to start happening now, but I would be open to finding out for a rent decrease.

47. MartaMyrrha says:

My friend and her husband live with a ghost cat…that wouldn’t bother me. He’s black and wears a red bandana. He only shows up when her cats are sick or he’s checking out the treatment of their cats (living, real cats).

48. gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

BOO!
    wait, is the ghost paying the rest of the rent?

49. LightningUsagi says:

Ever since my daughter was born, we’ve lived in nothing but haunted houses…some much more active than others. We’ve only had one that wanted to bother us, but I think that was my fault and that I offended him. I don’t mind it at all, and have gotten pretty used to it, so if something that I consider ‘normal’ would save me money, then I’m all for it!

50. Fist-o™ says:

WAIT A SECOND. Back up.

…Some people believe in ghosts?

Really?

51. vorpal_hamster says:

When I was growing up it wasn’t the house that was haunted, but rather us as a family. My brother’s dad died in an airplane crash and Mom ended up marrying his best friend (my dad) because they had a death-pact.

Apparently “Fred” did not think Dad was holding up his end of the bargain so he haunted us. Mostly he would slam the back door. The house would shake and echo with the noise, but the door was always dead-bolted shut.

About 10 years after I left home, Fred decided his business was finished and he left.

When I told Mom that I was buying a 118 year old house she had to ask if it was haunted. I knew it was clean when I first walked in and, indeed, me and the cat are the only occupants.

Dad hung around for a couple of months after he died, but he only had a few things left that he had to make sure we finished for him.

I believe my current cat Bruce is the reincarnation of my cat Boots, who was murdered by a neighbor with a baseball bat. Boots had so much unfinished business that he had to come back as a live cat.

Sometimes you have to believe in unexplainable things because the “logical” explanantions are even more far-fetched.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@vorpal_hamster: I’d like to haunt the baseball bat person. >:(

• vorpal_hamster says:

@HogwartsAlum:
        Karma is having its way with him. He ended up divorced and broke with drug problems and his kid was disfigured because of his idiotic behaviour, so his kid hates him too.

I’m not a huge believer in hell as a physical place you can go after you die, but I’ll make an exception for him. Actually, my generally Gnostic belief in hell as the human condition is working out nicely for him as well.

52. Triterion says:

I’d have to say that anyone who doesn’t believe in ghosts hasn’t lived in a house that’s a hundred years old or more. Living in Savannah GA for four years changed my mind!

53. Wang_Chung_Tonight says:

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?

54. thisistobehelpful says:

But it would seriously depend on what previous homeowners said the ghost activities were. Moving door, fine. Exorcist? Screw that.

55. nstonep says:

Yep…of my long list of things experienced…I’ve lived with the ghost of the contractor that hanged himself in my basement. He wasn’t a poltergeist per se but he did annoying stuff with the tv, moving small stuff around, and screwing with the lights all the time.

They say that animals (ie dogs) can “see” ghosts and I can attest to that, at least it seemed like she was transfixed in the hallway where most of the stuff was happening.

56. calquist says:

My parents managed to traumatize the hell out of me when I was younger by telling me how my Great Aunt Amanda died in our house by falling down the stairs. Every creek they would say “Oh, it’s just Amanda walking around”. They thought it was a funny little joke, but inside my little kid self was paranoid as all hell. I am 23 years old now and I still run as fast as I can when I am visiting and in the basement at night and need to turn off all the lights before going to bed. The other day I was out for a run in the bright sunlight next to a busy road and listening to the radio on my iPod. They were talking about the movie, Paranormal Activity and I was still starting to get freaked out. Traumatized for life!

57. WraithSama says:

“Judging from the Twilight phenomenon, a significant portion of women not only don’t fear vampires, they lust after them, so long as they’re metrosexual and sparkly.”

My girlfriend hates Twilight with a burning passion, and yet you just described her so aptly.

58. Sinflux says:

The previous tenant killed himself in one of the apartments I lived in, they only gave me $25 off a month on rent but I don’t believe in ghosts or anything so I was happy with any discount.

59. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

It would depend entirely on the particular ghost. Casper? Sure. Homicidal poltergeist? No thank you.

60. Benny Gesserit says:

It’s late in the day even on the west coast but if you’re out there the current podcast on iTunes for “The Moth” is a hilarious story by Joan Juliet Buck about her maybe haunted apartment in Paris. Very funny.

61. a_pink_poodle says:

Heck no! I don’t care if it’s Casper the friendly ghost, I don’t want no one watching me while I take a #2

“Ya know you should eat more fiber to prevent that.”
    “AAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUGH!”

62. ooloncoluphid says:

Hell yes, I’ll take advantage of a sucker who believes in ghosts.

• axiomatic says:

@ooloncoluphid: Right on. Metaphysical bullshit IMO. Give me the discount please.

What is it with these childish beliefs in the supernatural? I consider these people just as delusional as religious people.

63. Cantras says:

This reminds me that I need to go on a ghost-hunting expedition.

A dorm I lived in a few years ago had a student die in one of the rooms. Something really stupid and random like OD’d on cough syrup. But he lived in a single and it was a few days before anyone said, hey, has so-and-so been out of his room lately?
    (That part’s all true, newspaper reported on it at the time.)
    Reportedly, people assigned to that room later would refuse to stay — demanding room transfers, pledging to fraternities just to GTFO, moving in with GF, whatever, until one day one of the CAs said he’d had it, he was going to spend the night there and prove there was nothing wrong. And according to legend, he scrambled out the door at 3 a.m. and the room was eventually boarded up.

Note to self: Pull newspaper files, find room number, go see if the room numbers skip/have been painted over.

64. la.claire says:

Actually I bet there are people who would pay a higher than average price to live with ghosts.