Target’s New Return Policy: Better, If You Can Figure It Out “Mega-retailer Target has improved its return policy, but it’s still far more complicated and less consumer-friendly than Wal-Mart’s.” [Consumer Reports Money]

Comments

1. semanticantics says:

Not sure I get the “no receipt” thing. The article says “return” many times, but later references an “exchange”.

So say I have a video game, new in package, no receipt. Can I take it back to Target as a “return” and get either cash for a gift card?

2. Pibbs says:

I will still shop there instead of Wal-Mart, thank you very much. It just feels so much cleaner and upscale. Wal-Mart feels so..cheap.

3. 2 replies says:

Better than Walmart, but will Target let you return a box or rocks, or a brick instead?

4. sleze69 says:

I used to work in retail customer service and, unless the buyer had a really good record of sales, we ALWAYS rejected a return if there was no receipt and no way of verifying if the guy actually purchased it at the store.

Of course, we could see all purchases at all stores for the last 2 years so a name, address or credit card could help track down the receipt for actual purchases.

5. TheKuudere says:

I don’t understand what’s so complicated about the policy. Yes, it is lengthy, but it could be a lot worse.

Receipted Returns: Are unlimited and have to be made within 90 days of the purchase date.

Unreceipted Returns: Keep the total amount of unreceipted returns under $70 for the year. They can look up most transactions, except for cash transactions. There really isn’t much reason to not keep a hold of your receipt if you paid in cash.

Exchanges without receipts: They have allowed leeway on this for the upcoming holiday returns. You can even-exchange (different size) even if you’ve gone over your $70 limit. Apparently you couldn’t do this before. It looks like you can also exchange for something in the same department, if it is less than the amount you’re returning. You will have the difference on a gift card/store credit. If it’s more than what you’re returning, I’m sure you will be required to pay the difference.

Gift registries can now be used as receipts for the gift receiver. I assume that the person who didn’t give a gift receipt would also have had to remember to get the registry papers scanned when purchasing the item, though. Not sure if it would still work if the registry didn’t show that more than one of the item was purchased.

Everything else from their old policy, besides these little changes, still applies.

• Cant_stop_the_rock says:

@TheKuudere: I agree. Not too complicated

• bobateaforyouandme says:

@TheKuudere: I never did understand why gift-givers didn’t give a gift receipt. When it comes around to holiday time, I write the last name of the family on an envelope and stick all the receipts in there. It’s their “extra gift”. I usually have about 5 different envelopes and it’s not terribly hard to take it out of the bag or my wallet and deposit it in the envelope.

6. Outrun1986 says:

I’d rather figure it out, this is definitely better though. I think all stores should allow leeway on the holiday returns at least until Jan 1st at the very minimum, because at least in my family, its difficult to control the gifts you get and the givers NEVER include a receipt. Asking for one is still faux-pas in my family.