Next Xbox Update Will Block Third-Party Storage Cards

A reader sent along this tip, and his complaint, that Microsoft’s upcoming Xbox 360 update will block third-party storage devices.

According to Engadget, the new update will allow Xbox users to access content from Facebook, Twitter, and Last.fm, but it will also block “unauthorized” memory cards. Xbox owners are using third-party cards because the largest Microsoft memory card only allows for 512 MB of storage, whereas the unauthorized cards have memory capacities in the gigabytes.

Reader Luis, who sells memory cards, expressed his concern about the limited capacity to Microsoft, who wrote back and assured him that “we are very focused on continuing to provide more options for people to get the storage they want on our system,” so although it’s little consolation to owners of third-party memory devices, at least future Xbox owners will have an authorized high-memory option available.

Forthcoming Xbox 360 Update Locks Out Unauthorized Memory Unit [Engadget]
(Photo: Tengaport)

Comments

1. pz says:

You know, if Microsoft allowed owners of the XBox 360 to upgrade their own hard drives on the cheap (like on the PS3), this wouldn’t be too much of an issue.

• viper2000 says:

@pz: Why would they do that when they can make lots of $$$ charging you ~$150 for a ~$40 hard drive.
      Makes sense to me. Im surprised the big car manufacturers havent started charging extra to let you install a 3rd party stereo system. :D

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

@chrisclaus: Lots of cars don’t even have real DIN slots anymore for radios. They’re really integrated into the dash. So you can pay them $2000 for the DVD Video / GPS upgrade instead of $500 for one.

• KMan13 still wants a Pontiac G8 says:

@Applekid: it’s just the dashkit manufacturers that really benefit from this. sure, you get a nicer looking dash, but i’ve seen plenty of nice looking dashes with a double din unit in place from many manufacturers, including toyota, honda, and mitsubishi (all recent, new models)

• firemunkie says:

@chrisclaus: new egg sells the hdd that is used inside the “adapter” for 65 dollars not 40. add include maybe 20 for the “adapter” and custom firmware that microsoft uses on the hdd and its a little closer to a correct figure of 85 vs 150. plus you can find the hdd for 125 at stores not just online. if it was apple selling it im sure it would be ok cus no one complains about apple tax except microsoft fanboys (which i am not).

• Notsewfast says:

@firemunkie: In fairness, I highly doubt that MS buys its hard drives from NewEgg… Economies of scale and such…

• firemunkie says:

@Notsewfast: agreed but newegg doesnt sell for retail either. they sell for much lower then retail. im sure thier moto is make a little sell alot. microsoft is the other way around. but i doubt micro or newegg buy the drive for much less then 65. whats the point of bringing up economics if you failed to mention a little thing called profit. microsoft is entitled to it, we are not entitled to an “at cost” hdd from microsoft.

• Notsewfast says:

@firemunkie: My point is that MS most certainly gets 10-20% bulk discounts when they buy 250,000 drives at a time and that your pricing from newegg and other cost projections are inflated.

Nobody is asking for anything at cost, but there’s healthy profit, and then there’s obscene profit.

• firemunkie says:

@Notsewfast: obscene would be more like the cellphone companys charge for text. 100% above cost is not obscene.

• dragonfire81 says:

Point is, does Microsoft have the right to control what people do with their 360s after they purchase them? MS seems to think they do, but I’m not sure that’s true.

I got into a similar debate the other day regarding the Sony PSP. About whether or not Sony really had the right to block people from modding their systems (via firmware updates that prevent it) to say, run games off a memory stick.

How much control does a company get to have over a product after you buy it?

• Wombatish says:

@pz:]Why would a company that manufactures laptops use a laptop style hard-drive for their gaming console? The world will never know :P

• firemunkie says:

@Wombatish: um microsoft makes laptops? i know they make the os, but never aware they were in hardware for pc/laptops

• logicalnoise says:

@firemunkie: they don’t xbox was MS’ first real HW project other than keyboards and mice.

• Wombatish says:

@firemunkie: I meant Sony…

Meaning Sony’s decision is a cost thing, rather than “an exciting consumer-oriented decision”, though it works out to be the same thing.

It was meant to be @chrisclaus

• ShadowFalls says:

@Wombatish:

Sony doesn’t make laptops, they assemble them. For example, the hard drive you will find in most PS3 models will be made by Seagate. Sony also has desktops as well. Both Microsoft and Sony chose laptop hard drives as they are smaller, this case making the system take up less physical space. The point many make is Sony is less greedy when it comes to this and even gives step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade it yourself in the manual.

• Wombatish says:

@ShadowFalls: Microsoft doesn’t also assemble laptops. I’m not saying Sony makes every bit of their own laptops, I’m saying they already have purchasing power, and the avenues for purchasing and shipping set up for the parts they don’t make. /shrug

• firemunkie says:

@pz: tho i agree with you, MUs are pretty much usless for anything other then gamer profiles and saves. veryfew games use saves over a couple of megs, so i really dont get why everyone is crying.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@flyingember: Well, I guess it comes off as ignorant and condescending if you don’t interpret that as “We’re working on giving you more official options”.

Not that I’m condoning this. I don’t really have an opinon about it one way or the other to be honest. It’s just that, well, you’d be surprised how easily you’ll find ignorance and condescension when you’re looking for it.

2. Naame says:

There is going to be a lot of upset 360 owners that have these cards and update there systems without being aware of this change.

Why are they doing this? Is it an anti-piracy measure? Are they trying to get people to only buy MS storage cards? Both?

The ends just don’t seem like they justify the means no matter how I try and slice it.

• Difdi says:

@Naame: The phrase anti-competitive business tactic comes to mind.

• logicalnoise says:

@Naame: Both many people forget but this has been MS’s policy ever since 360 launched. They said straight up, “unlicensed third party devices will not be allowed to be used on xbox 360″. Only now they are enforcing it(they’ve been banning people for flashed HDDs for a while now).
      It does two things for microsft
      1)makes sure they get a cut fo whatever HW sells for their system.
      2)keeps security holes filled so XBL stays relatively safe from cheaters and hackers.

As it’s been said MS should really change their pricing on memory units.

• alstein says:

@logicalnoise: It also cost them a customer. I switched my console recently due to this proprietary crap.

The PS3 has some weaknesses compared to the 360 (matchmaking) but I’m enjoying it more overall.

• Nekoincardine says:

@logicalnoise: On 2:

*Insert long annoying laugh here*

The largest security hole exploited by the cheaters, to the best of my understanding, is actually a “man-in-the-middle” method – and there’s a lot of them (ever hear of lag pedals? They’re the key to dominance for most Arena players in World of Warcraft).

• Keavy_Rain says:

@Nekoincardine: I don’t know how common this is, but I’ve encountered a lot of cheaters in Brutal Legend.

My friends and I did a 3v3 MP match and we lost the fight in three minutes. For those who don’t play Brutal Legend, the only way to win a fight in under ten minutes is if the other player drops out.

We checked their profiles and one was Gold and the other two were Silver and they had a near-flawless record. We reported them to Microsoft and moved on, but I’m hopeful that this ban on third-party devices will stop the rampant cheating on the 360.

• firemunkie says:

@Naame: i never found a use for a MU. if you have gold you need an hdd anyways. and if you dont then ur prolly not gonna update anyways.

• lordargent says:

@firemunkie:
        i never found a use for a MU.

I used to use one back in the XBOX/halo 1 days, to carry my halo profile to friends houses when were networking xboxes together.

Now that people have moved around a bit, it’s harder to meet in person, and well, now we have xbox live. So the mem units are not really needed.

• Stephmo says:

@firemunkie:

Other than certain gamerscore cheats, passing around payable DL content amongst your buddies and a few other low-grade boosting cheats?

• wox42 says:

@Naame: If they were trying to do anti-piracy they’d block modded 360s as well. No, they’re just trying to make you pay $150 for 120GB instead of the $55 it costs on your notebook.

On a side note, you can get a whole terabyte of internal storage for $88 on newegg…

• logicalnoise says:

@wox42: they actively ban modded 360’s all the time.

• firemunkie says:

@wox42: not for a laptop, the largest hdd newegg sells is 750gig for 150. maybe you dont know videogame consoles or maybe you dont know the internals of a pc, eitherway you are wrong. laptop hdd =/= pc hdd.

3. rugman11 says:

At one point do we begin treating video game systems like computers? People would throw shitfits if Dell didn’t allow non-Dell flash drives or if digital cameras only allowed a certain brand of memory cards. Why is this still okay?

• Jon34511 says:

@rugman11: Sony is famous for this in their digital cameras, and more recently the PSP using only their duo or pro duo memory cards. When I got my first gen PSP a 1 gig card was roughly $100.

• rugman11 says:

@Jon34511: I used to have a Sony camera several years ago, but even then I was able to get non-Sony memory sticks. I know SanDisk made them at least 2 or 3 years ago. I don’t have an issue with companies creating proprietary storage systems, but banning other company’s equivalent systems is just ludicrous.

• ARP says:

@rugman11: Yes, but San Disk got a license from Sony, so Sony still got paid.

• rworne says:

@ARP:
            And the standards organizations behind SD and CF don’t get paid every time someone markets one of those cards?

Yes, Sony gets dings for going it alone with their own format, although I don’t have any issues how they handled 3rd party peripherals and user upgrades with the PS3 console. Microsoft on the other hand released the 360 with a deliberate 3rd party lockout on an otherwise standard USB port. They also showed how much they cared about their customer base by steadfastly refusing to license 3rd party wireless peripherals for the longest time.

• pop top says:

@Jon34511: When the PSPs first hit the market, you could only get Sony-brand memory sticks, but Sandisk and other companies immediately started making their own brands.

• ShadowFalls says:

@Jon34511:

Yes, but that is memory card format based. You can use a Sandisk memory stick in those devices just fine. Sony devices also don’t actively refuse any other unlicensed memory sticks to be allowed to be used on their devices either.

• sleze69 says:

@rugman11: Really? Apple has been doing this for years.

• fantomesq says:

@sleze69: That’s not true. While Apple DOES sell RAM, they don’t make/brand the RAM themselves and they neither require the RAM to have come from Apple nor do they even prominently advertise that they sell it. You are free to buy from any manufacturer -PNY, Crucial, Kingston, etc. Apple does require that the RAM meet strict specifications and have been known to diagnose problems as due to non-spec third party RAM but they certainly don’t block spec third party RAM by software… that’s inane.

• ShiningSquirrel says:

@fantomesq:
          It may not be true for thier computers, but it is true for thier some of thier other products.
          iPods come to mind. The last time I heard, they where installing chips in thier headphones so you could only use thiers (or ones authorized by them).
          This is for HEADPHONES! and they where supposed to be expanding it to other additions as well.
          Sounds pretty sleazy to me.

• fantomesq says:

@ShiningSquirrel: Not hardly comparable. The chip issue you refer to, I believe, only existed in relation to the Shuffle. I have a current Nano, Touch and iPhone and all work with every headphone set I’ve tried, including decidedly non-Apple headphones.

• Powerlurker says:

@ShiningSquirrel:

What you’re referring to is not that their chip is needed for the headphones, but for the controller attached to it that you’d use to control the iPod.

• wardawg says:

@Powerlurker: @ShiningSquirrel: Entirely true. I have a new Android phone and because the headphones have an inline music/voice controller it has to use a USB style jack. Apple has a patent on controlling portable devices via the headphones jack.

• Kevinv says:

@ShiningSquirrel: Apple doesn’t do this. The chip in the controller is for manufacturers that want to use the iPod logo on their packaging. If they don’t care about that then they can design their own chip.

Depending on licensing fees it may just be cheaper for them to use the Apple chip then test/design their own.

As for other devices – I just upgraded the hard drive in my Apple TV to 320 GB drive I bought off the shelf at Microcenter. Not exactly an easy process but no lockin from Apple kept me from doing it.

The sealed batteries on new laptops might qualify IF the batteries don’t live up to the charge cycle claims. And this is pretty new not “years”

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

@rugman11: proprietary hardware was pretty much par for the course in the mid 90s, to the point at which you needed a socket driver to remove blanks covering the ISA slots on the back of a PC.
      The first external hard drive i bought (circa 2002) was a maxtor that had its own proprietary power cable, some horrific 6 pin configuration

4. flyingember says:

doesn’t this update have them focused on providing less options for people to “get the storage they want on our system????”

By not simply apologizing and stating it’s a purposeful decision they come off as ignorant and condescending.

5. theSuperman says:

The thing I like about the Wii is the ability to save your games onto a SD card. Any SD card.
    I am afraid that my 360’s drive will fail, and I will loose all my saved games and such.

• logicalnoise says:

@theSuperman: there are products that allow you to back up your HDD data on your computer(this is also how many people hack achievements and game saves).

6. Tim says:

I don’t own an Xbox, but I’d assume the third-party cards are cheaper too, right?

• Pixel says:

@TCama: From what I’ve seen they appear to be the same price, but with *much* better capacity. $40 from MS gets you 512MB, $40 from the other companies gets you 2GB with the ability to expand to 32GB.

7. temporaryscars says:

Could this be considered monopolistic? It allow Microsoft to dominate the market and pricegouge it’s customers, which, by the way, it certainly does.

• kcvaliant says:

@temporaryscars:

Not really, they can be proprietary it just sucks.. Apple has been doing it for years..

• cristiana says:

@kcvaliant:
        I am not really sure what you mean by ‘Apple has been doing it for years’. There are very few truly proprietary items in Apple land, the iPod dock connector, and the MagSafe connector on their laptops. And, you can use all the third party hardware you want (barring driver limitations).

• logicalnoise says:

@cristiana: You forgot the proprietary EFI standard on their motherboards which locks out non-mac motherboards from running OSX.

• eddieck says:

@logicalnoise: EFI is not proprietary. It is a new (well, not exactly new) standard designed to replace the traditional BIOS. At least one motherboard manufacturer (can’t remember who) has also shipped an EFI product. I highly doubt Apple uses EFI just to make it difficult to run OS X on a PC; they use it because it is superior to BIOS.

• rworne says:

@kcvaliant:

What is proprietary on Apple’s products?

1.USB support since… 1998 or so when the first iMacs were released.
        2. Macs use standard storage devices – IDE and now SATA devices
        3. Video ports are standard – DVI, miniDVI, Displayport
        4. OS is based on BSD, and the development tools are free.

Yeah, they got a lockout bypass chip in the video cables for the iPods (which sucks) and that Apple-specific DVI cable that also carried power and USB back in 2001 or so that could be bypassed with a rather inexpensive adaptor. Can’t say the same for an Apple display during that time though – it required a $100+ box to hook it up to a PC.

• Im Just Saying says:

@temporaryscars: It’s not market domination or monopolistic, when the PS3 and Wii are out there. As kcvaliant pointed out, it’s just a proprietary system and it sucks.

• fantomesq says:

@temporaryscars: How are you defining the market? If markets were defined as an individual company’s product, then all proprietary hardware/software would be monopolistic – they aren’t defined as such, so they aren’t monopolistic.

8. zentex says:

This kinda made me mad. I’m getting the MW2 XBOX next month and saw that MaxMemory thing from Datel as a perfect tool to migrate ALL my data from the 20GB to the 250GB HDD w/o having to re-download everything.

Now what? eash. I wonder if MS still sells/gives away that transfer cable they used to have when the 120GB’s came out.

9. MrEvil says:

I too will be affected by this update. I can see Microsoft’s justification for blocking the memory cards. The problem has been the manufacturer (Datel) provides software with the memory card that allows gamers to move the data from the card to their PC (the Datel card is just a Micro SDHC card reader) and thus manipulate that data once it is on a PC (like giving your gamer profile achievements that you haven’t actually earned). Unfortunately the side-effect of this is that MS is treating us all like criminals and thus banning the Memory Units for those of us that are using them for a legitimate purpose.

I used my Datel MU for transferring my Gamer profile and all my Rock Band DLC between Xboxes when I play at friends’ homes. If Microsoft offered a first party MU with more than a paltry 512MB I would have purchased it instead. I’m just angry because they are blocking a product that they FAILED to provide.

• trrwilson says:

@MrEvil: If microsoft was really concerned about people editing saves, they would be able to lock that down. I’m not a crypto/security expert, but I’m sure there are ways.

• logicalnoise says:

@trrwilson: nothing is unhackable.

• ShadowFalls says:

@logicalnoise:

True, but they could make it much harder. Say encrypting the data to be used with a certain gamer profile and/or system only. Sure there are certain situations where that isn’t ideal, which can be worked around. Say for you profile it keeps a record of your old systems and you can do a transfer if your system is replaced.

• AI says:

@trrwilson: Yeah, they could release a new firmware every month that deletes these saved games and may cause issues, like Nintendo does.

• logicalnoise says:

@MrEvil: just take your HDD with you.

10. GearheadGeek says:

What Microsoft actually meant to say was “we are very focused on making sure people buy the storage options we want them to have on our system” of course, and it’s interesting that the Microsoftie referred to customers’ consoles as “ours.”

• kcvaliant says:

@GearheadGeek: If people are able to modify their achievement points through 3rd party cards and software I can see why they are shutting it down, Achievements are their baby..

• GearheadGeek says:

@kcvaliant: So Microsoft is closing a hole in their system by requiring that you buy things from them, rather than writing code well enough to keep you from being able to fiddle with scores and stats.

• logicalnoise says:

@GearheadGeek: the TOS states you don’t own the console just the right to use it. It’s not enforceable at all but the main gist is if you want to connect it online they can modify the console as they please with updates.

11. temporaryscars says:

I always hear this justification of banning these cards because people can manipulate their gamerscores. All I can say to that is, who cares? I don’t care if somebody has a higher GS than me. Anyone who does care should get a life!

• Quatre707 says:

@temporaryscars: Gamescore is proportional to how many games someone has played, and how often they are played. They hardly represents a score. More like an I-have-no-job rank.

• AI says:

@Quatre707: Not all gamerpoints are just given to you when casually playing the game. Usually only 400/1000 are. The rest you usually have to work for.

• logicalnoise says:

@temporaryscars: there’s a black market for increasing people’s gamings cores(just like for most online games and platforms). It results in diluting the gaming experience and opening more people up to fraud.

• temporaryscars says:

@logicalnoise:

Diluting the gaming experience? Are you serious? I’m not going to like Call of Duty any less just because I know there are people out there with fake scores. It doesn’t affect me in the least.

• logicalnoise says:

@temporaryscars: acheivements can also unlock content meaning it devalues the items on XBL something MS will of course pursue. and messing with saves can indeed mess with the gaming experience, if someone has a item you can only get for unlocking everything else in a game how does that help the gaming experience? I recall Valve punishing people for achievement whoring a while back no one but cheaters complained back then.

• Stephmo says:

@temporaryscars: Wow, you know what? Who cares about anything?

Seriously, there is a black market. Just because you don’t care, doesn’t mean you get to be king dick and decree that no one else gets to care.

There are tons of things in this life that I don’t care about or understand why others put time and effort into them. Fantasy sporting games rank really high on that list for me – bars full of people actually being pissed because someone made a touchdown on their team but it was the wrong guy is absolutely mind-boggling to me. These guys are doing algebra for fun.

But they enjoy it and if people were hacking the ESPN site to ruin the Fantasy League for them, it would be wrong. For me to step in and go, Fantasy Sports are stupid and all I can say is “who cares?” would make me a bitch, not enlightened.

It’s a consumer issue – it’s a feature that users enjoy and when people step in and make a black-market cottage industry out of it that ruins things for others, telling people “u shouldn’t care” isn’t helpful.

• ShadowFalls says:

@temporaryscars:

Yes, I know. I seen some people who had the Seriously achievement in Gears of War who I know had glitched it. Simply how did I know? Because they were terrible.

12. esc27 says:

I was considering buying either an XBOX or PS3 with my Christmas money this year, looks like I am now considering just a PS3.

13. ShruggingGalt says:

I don’t like this…I can’t remember which computer manufacturer did this, but they changed the motherboard to where you had to buy memory FROM them, because regular memory wouldn’t fit. They either stopped and went to regular motherboards or went out of business.

Olympus on their E-series SLRs will only activate the built in panoramic mode if you shoot JPGs on their Olympus branded xD cards. xD is of course, the worst memory format currently in use, and I think even Fuji stopped making cards for it. But it’s not like you can’t use another manufacturer…

I don’t mind that – certain added features are unlocked with a branded card, but not banning non-OEM altogether.

14. dbshaw says:

Given the fact they are going out of their way to disable a feature that is already supported, they could be looking at a serious anti-trust issue. lol, I mean of course if American govt wasn’t a complete whore for Big Business.

• yagisencho says:

@dbshaw:

I’m not a lawyer, etc. But to me, it seems that there’s a big difference between invalidating a licensed product versus invalidating an unlicensed one. Based on the article, it sounds like these are unlicensed memory products. Since it’s a proprietary system, with licensing available for those who are willing to pay the licensing fees, I’m not sure I see your point.

15. Pixel says:

Loverly. I was planning to pick up an aftermarket memory card in the next few weeks so when I visit my g/f (or vis-versa)saved games can come with.

Thanks MS, I’m almost as happy with this piece of news as I was when I discovered my “20GB” 360 came with only 13.3GB of usable disc space.

• Nascar24Dude says:

@Pixel:

Part of that loss is due to manufacturer inflation. HDD companies measure drive capacity in base 10 numbers: 1,000 bytes = 1 kilobyte; 1,000 kilobytes = 1 megabyte; and 1,000 megabytes = one gigabyte. However, all computers that I know of (including the PS3 and XBOX 360) read the drive in base 2: 1,024 bytes = 1 kilobyte; 1,024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte; and 1,024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte. So, a 20,000,000,000 byte drive will be read as 20 GB by an HDD manufacturer and as ~18 GB by a computer. And, yes, this is very screwy, deceptive math. It would be equivalent to a TV maker selling a 37.2″ TV as 40″ by stating on the package “our inches are 93 hundredths of real inches (.93)”.

• logicalnoise says:

@Pixel: delete the free stuff included on the drive to save up some memory, a few gigs is reserved for in game use.

• MSUHitman says:

@logicalnoise: Yeah there’s probably about 2-3 GB you can free up that’s just retail demos, XBLA demos and video trailers but there’s 3-4 GB you can’t use that’s set aside for patches and other system uses.

16. nstonep says:

What good is a memory card anyway? (even the first party stuff) I never got the idea unless there was no hard drive. Still…MS needs to quit with the bullcrap updates they use to mask the emperor syndrome they have. “The xbox is my castle, you have the plague! No plague in my castle!”

• temporaryerror says:

@nstonep:
      Like pixel said, it’s a convenient way to carry your saved games and profiles and whatever else from console to console. Of course, you could carry your HDD, but it’s so much less hassle to just carry around a memory module the size of a zippo lighter.

• GearheadGeek says:

@nstonep: I think they let you carry the card over to a friend’s house and use your character (with its respective stats, experience, etc) on their system if they have the same game. Oh, and as a backup to some of the data on their oh-so-reliable consoles.

17. Quatre707 says:

How abouts Microsoft releases an update that allows game saves and down-loadable content to be saved to flash drives!

18. ein727 says:

Why do people buy these pieces of crap?

They have a failure rate of over 50%.

You have to subscribe (pay) monthly/yearly to play online.

And now this – “it’s our equipment or no equipment at all.”

I am a life long gamer. I own a ton of consoles and handheld devices (nintendo, sony, sega, etc) and I wouldn’t dare touch this thing.

19. logicalnoise says:

everyone seems to be glossing over the rest of the update, you know where they add quite a bit of functionality to the OS. I already have the update and am completly unaffectted by this small part of it.

• Fishy007 says:

@logicalnoise: I think the problem is that the rest of the update adds no MEANINGFUL functionality to the OS. Facebook? Twitter? Yeah, I’m good thanks.

Are you using any 3rd party memory devices in your 360?

20. lakorai says:

There are a few devices sold that are adapters. Datel sells a SD/SDHC adapter that allows you to use an SD or SDHC card in place of a an overpriced official Xbox 512MB card. You can also use a BEVE series SATA 120GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue drive in order to upgrade you’re 360’s drive instead of paying the ludicrous $179 that M$osft wants. You can buy this drive online for $60.

It is believed that the newest Xbox dash update will ban both these style of devices from being used. The Datel thing really sucks, but the people who did the hard drive upgrade…. Wow, you are going to be screwed. The *stated* intent is to prevent people from artifically screwing with their gamer tag scores, achievements etc and to prevent piracy.

UPgeade your Xbox 360 hard drive yourself: [www.gamerwok.com]

Maybe if Microsoft would not charge INSANE prices for a crappy 512MB SD card (worth about $2 on the open market right now) packaged as a proprietary USB interface and charge $179 for a $50 hard drive then people wouldn’t feel the need to hack the thing.

• MSUHitman says:

@lakorai: Thing is those drives like what you linked to are part of what’s being banned. Nothing without the MS certification files or code will work on the system now so those $70 120GB HDD’s from Hong Kong sold on EBay or what you linked to won’t work in a month.

21. axiomatic says:

Its a matter of media value. MS charges such a high premium for lets say flash memory when we all know that 3rd party flash memory performs just the same at a fraction of the cost.

Microsoft has made this problem themselves by keeping the accessories prices high. Pardon me while I don’t give a shit and keep doing whatever I want with my 360.

Microsoft needs to come to their senses and play fair with pricing.

22. trujunglist says:

Now that MS has retail stores, I recommend visiting one and having a heated discussion with employees about why you’re disappointed with this decision

23. arguewithme says:

can some nerds please create an open source gaming OS… Google where are you when we need you? or how about if microsoft sold their Xbox OS so people could build their own machine… that would be wild

24. yume_ryuu says:

I purchased a 500GB external harddrive for my xbox360. Luckily I don’t connect it to xbox live. I don’t really update my xbox because I don’t play online games. I have a wii and a ps3 too, and they are connected online so I can connect with friends.
    So the update sucks but I won’t worry about it because I won’t update my xbox.

25. wvFrugan says:

More perfect timing for me as I WAS in the process of deciding whether to buy my son a PS3 or XBox for Xmas (he says he ikes both the same). A PS3 it will be! Earlier this week I DID NOT buy the Panasonic camera I wanted because of their battery BS on higher end models (thanks Consumerist for the warning a while back), I got a camera that uses plain old AA. I need to replace my aging Dell printer, you can bet it won’t be another Dell that traps me into their brand only cartridges!

26. AgitatedDot says:

Just buy a PS3! Upgraded my HDD to 320 GB for about $60. And it won’t even void your warranty!

27. richard says:

I wrote quite a long blog post on the subject a few days ago:
    Microsoft doesn’t care.

[accidentalninja.net]

28. VagrantRadio says:

I am seriously considering getting rid of Xbox Live and my 360. Microsoft closes everything off, monetizes it, charges too much for it and expects everyone to be fine with it.

Unfortunately, consumers speak with their wallets and waay too many people are fine with spending money on digital items to dress your avatar and $40 to download old games you can get for $20 in Gamestop.