College Student Needs Personal Assistant To Help Him Be College Student

Oh, college. Remember how busy you were, between classes, activities, part-time work, and a social life? Instead of adjusting his schedule accordingly, a busy student at Georgetown University (the #7 most expensive college in America) is hiring a personal assistant.

“As my PA you will receive an email once a day by 9:00 am with a task list for that day and a time estimate for each task,” Cooper wrote in the job listing, which was first reported by the student newsmagazine, Georgetown Voice. “Important tasks will be bolded on the list and must be done that day (even though everything on the list should theoretically be finished on a daily basis). At the end of the day you will send me an email telling me what tasks are incomplete or that all tasks have been completed.”

The Washington Post verified that the student, Charley Cooper, is enrolled at Georgetown. He is a sophomore double-majoring in finance and management, and considering a career in either finance or entertainment. Or maybe both. He will pay his PA $10-$12 per hour and provide a car.

Cooper’s photo on Facebook, no longer public, was described as “a man in a striped polo shirt holding a champagne flute.” No word on the popped or non-popped status of his collar. [Edit: Gawker has the picture, and the answer.]

Georgetown student advertises for a personal assistant [Washington Post]
Georgetown sophomore seeks personal assistant, takes premature self-importance to whole new level [Vox Populi]
Meet the Georgetown University Sophomore Who’s Hiring a Personal Assistant

(Photo: purpleslog)

Comments

1. Paladin_11 says:

Congratulations on creating jobs and hiring in these economically challenged times, Mr. Small Businessman!

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

@Paladin_11: i think you mean “Maj. Douche-bag”

• dohtem says:

@gStein_has joined the star bandwagon: Douchebag or not, he realizes how important his time is and is willing to pay someone to deal with his menial tasks. This guy is management material.

• WraithSama says:

@dohtem:
          Absolutely. If you have the money and your time is stretched too thin, why not create a job and delegate? Nothing wrong with that.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@WraithSama: @dohtem: I agree. If someone has a problem being this guy’s personal assistant it’s because of ageism and not wanting to work under someone your own age.

• Trai_Dep says:

@WraithSama: Because if you can’t run your own sh*t as an measly undergrad, you’ll never learn to run it when you’ve got direct reports.

• ohenry says:

@Trai_Dep: I’d argue that as a double majoring undergrad, depending on if the guy works as well, you’ve got more to do with less time to do it in as a student than a manager. At least with a manager you’re, generally, in for your 8 to 10 hours and then out, and free to use the rest of your day as your please. There’s no such luxury in college between reading, studying, essays and homework, and actual class time.

• Trai_Dep says:

@ohenry: It’ll do his character wonders to suck it up, then. He’s hardly the only undergrad who’s ever had a double major from a decent school.

• crymson777 says:

@Trai_Dep: True, but…if he can afford it (and he probably can since he is providing a car too), then why not? He is really no different that any other rich person that needs an assistant to help get things done. It’s not like he is turning them into a prostitute…

• veg-o-matic says:

@ohenry: Some of us did just fine working and completing three majors. I know of some rare nerds who did 4. This person is obviously free to throw his money wherever he likes, but one hopes he does understand that he can’t always have someone else do the things he doesn’t like to do.

Well, maybe in his world he can, I guess..

• treimel says:

@veg-o-matic:

But of he can afford to make his life easier, why shouldn’t he? I know I would. It’s the very nature of being wealthy to be able to afford things that those who aren’t, can’t. He should refrain from having an assistant because it causes those poorer than him to feel some weird envy or disapproval? In his position, I ewouldn’t care one jot for what others thought, nor would I be convinced that there’s some “life-lesson” I’m missing out on by hiring a servant. The lesson here is: it’s better to be rich than poor. I think it’s great that a college student can spend his time studying, and can afford help for other tasks. Good for him.

2. blizl says:

Ah, my alma mater. Sadly, I know for a fact he is not the first to enlist a PA. Nor is he likely to be the last.

• say what?! says:

@blizl: yeah, i really don’t see what the big deal is. I go to a similar tier-1 school and this is like an everyday thing.

• goodpete says:

@say what?!:

You don’t see what the big deal is?

Think of it this way. Let’s say this becomes popular in “tier-1 schools.” Teachers might start to see that students have a little too much free time on their hands because they’ve outsourced many of their responsibilities. The teachers might respond by increasing the load of material taught in their classes.

This might not seem so bad to you. But it furthers the gap that already exists between financially stable students and students that work their way through college.

Imagine you already have to spend 40 hours a week working at McDonald’s to get through college. Your classmates (whom which you’re often competing against for grades and scholarships) don’t need to work. Not only that, but they don’t need to do regular chores, now.

This can only succeed in increasing the gap between rich and poor students. A gap that’s wide enough already, thank you.

Now, I feel a little bad because this student actually seems to have a legitimate amount of stress. He’s doing a lot right now and he could probably use a bit of a hand. But I don’t think that he should be able to hire an assistant because of the larger issue here.

So what to do?

Well, the answer is pretty simple: The school needs to issue assistants.

It should be against the rules to hire a personal assistant directly. However, the school should employ a number of students who have some free time as PAs. If another student is overstressed due to circumstances outside of their control (such as this student). Then they could apply to the school for a PA for the semester. They would then pay the school for the PA through a school fee (so that students on federal aid can use that aid to pay for the PA).

If the school determines there’s no need for a PA, then a student can’t have one. It’s that simple.

Schools (and governments) already provide personal assistants to help students with physical handicaps. It seems reasonable to extend that kind of program to students with significant life events that might make things rough in school for a semester.

I’m sure it won’t be perfect. I’d be a little concerned that this might lead to a system where lower and middle class students do chores for upper class students to pay their way though school. However, that’s what will probably happen anyway if the trend continues.

I would hope that if the school moderates the practice, then a student who comes in and says, “I need a PA because I have a kid to take care of, a sick mother with no health insurance, a full time job, and 15 hours of classes,” will be more likely to get a PA then the guy who feels that laundry is getting in the way of his social life.

• l_d says:

@say what?!: If he were just hiring a PA, it would be one thing. But it’s more than that. You should read the Georgetown Voice article to see what the big deal is.

In seven hours a week, the PA is supposed to:

“Organize closet -make bed -Drop off / pick up dry cleaning -Drop me off / pick me up from work -Do laundry -Fill up gas tank -bring car for servicing -schedule appointment for haircut -Pay parking tickets -manage electronic accounts -shopping and running errands -other random tasks.”

One way that all of these activities could be accomplished in so little time, is, surprise, Mr. Massengill won’t pay for all of the time worked.

“Tasks such as doing laundry that involve a lot of waiting around (time when you could be doing other tasks or doing your own stuff) will be counted for the approximate amount of time it would take to do the labor involved. For instance, laundry will be counted for half an hour even though a laundry cycle takes 1.5 hrs to complete.”

Makes me “proud” to be an alumna.

3. wrjohnston19283 says:

Insert Van Wilder joke here.

4. scootinger says:

“He is a sophomore double-majoring in finance and management, and considering a career in either finance or entertainment.”

In other words, he’ll most likely end up being a $10-12/hour personal assistant for another rich, spoiled Georgetown douchebag after he graduates.

• 12-Inch Idongivafuck Sandwich says:

@scootinger: Hahaha…

Isn’t a double major in Finance and Management only a difference of a few classes? And he wants a career in Finance? I hope so, since he is a Finance major…

• calquist says:

@12-Inch Idongivafuck Sandwich: At my school it was just 4 more classes. In my opinion (bring on the hate), getting just a management degree is an awful idea. If you want to be in management, you are going to need to know marketing, finance, accounting or SOMETHING else to be a good manager, so you might as well double major and take the couple extra classes. And by the end of my college career, I was pretty positive that marketing isn’t what I wanted to do… so I would say not necessarily.. but luckily business majors are all pretty versatile and you can basically get any job with any of those degrees.

• unpolloloco says:

@scootinger: In two and a half years, I highly doubt he’ll have an issue finding a job. Business, science, and engineering majors are much more recession-proof than most other majors, from what I can tell.

• Tawnie is Monster Mashing says:

@unpolloloco: Business is not recession proof. I have a degree in Business Management and it has been difficult to find a good job. I am now back in school to become a paralegal.

Given that this kid went to an expensive prep school then Georgetown, he probably has family connections and money to support him when he graduates.

5. H3ion says:

I saw this in the Post and had a difficult time retaining my breakfast. Apparently, this is for real. At least if you’re going to be an elitist, use some discretion. The Post also reported that the student went to a local prep school whose tuition would probably be close to what his parents are paying for college.

• yevarechecha says:

@H3ion: Nah, Landon’s *only* $30,000/year.

I’ll actually applaud this guy for paying someone else to do it for him. I went to summer camp for a few years with these prep-school types (Phillips Exeter, Milton, Holderness, Deerfield, etc.) and they all just had their parents coming in and doing everything. They also tended to move their entire bedrooms with them for a 5-week stay. One girl had her mom doing her laundry every week via FedEx. It blew my mind.

• Tvhargon says:

@yevarechecha: FedEx laundry! You’ve finally solved my problem!

• varro says:

@yevarechecha: This is just inconceivable (cue the Princess Bride references).

What’s so difficult with putting the laundry in the machine while you study? How long does it take to drop the dry cleaning off if you have to wear a suit to your job? Isn’t there a barbershop on campus? (There was at UChicago where I went, and it was relatively cheap, good, and right in the Reynolds Club, one of the student union buildings.)

• Trai_Dep says:

@varro: Because FedExing the maid in a box with holes poked in it to her would have been prohibitively expensive?

• HogwartsAlum says:

@varro: It’s not difficult unless you have never done it for yourself or never had to.

A certain person here is like that; has never had to worry about paying the bills, and can’t understand how difficult it is for people who do.

• treimel says:

@varro:

So these tasks aren’t diffcult, so what? Most domestic help and PAs do tasks that aren’t difficult in themselves, though they may be in the aggregate. He simply wishes to spend his money to have help with them, and I’ve yet to hear what’s wrong with that.

6. tnoetz01 says:

I did this two years ago when I was in college… is that really news?

If you’re interested in how it actually works, you can read about it here:

[www.theupwardlymobile.com]

7. ARP says:

Let’s face it, he’s a huge elitist d-bag, who’s daddy will get him a job with an investment bank or lobbyist firm, and he’ll make more in a few years than most of us ever will.

He’s a poster-boy for reinstating the inheritance tax.

• ARP says:

@ARP: Oh, and I should add that I’m tempted to use a fake identity to apply, just to meet this guy and post his picture and ad from Adams Morgan to Foggy Bottom.

• StanTheManDean says:

@ARP:

Damn, you are harsh.

Job well done.

• lmarconi says:

@ARP: Though I will say, wealth isn’t entirely kind to these kids. I know a lot of kids who went to expensive private schools and now pay full tuition at an expensive college – mine : ( Some of them don’t handle their workload very well, some of them have no idea of how to interact with anyone different because they’ve never had to, and some of them can’t get an internship without parents help. Though some of them have daddy edit their papers, have no job all through school, have daddy set them up at a big fancy internship every summer, and graduate and work for an investment bank and perpetuate the wealth cycle. Meanwhile, I’ll be enjoying my cardboard box and student loans…its hard to know whether to hate them or wanna be them.

8. blueneon says:

My unemployed spouse is my personal assistant :)

9. Ronin-Democrat says:

at least he is paying a living wage…… f-u walmart.

10. RandomHookup says:

When his PA graduates, maybe he can be a houseboy for some rich industrialist.

11. mcnerd85 says:

Found him.

[www.hahastop.com]

12. Rachacha says:

To Do List October 23, 2009
    1) Do Laundry. Make sure to check under the bed for smelly socks.
    2) Karen called, she forgot her thong the other night. Locate and send back to her. Karen’s is the red one, not the black one, that one is mine.
    3) Go to finance class at 10:30
    4) Can you take my Business midterm next week? There is a pencil convention I want to attend.

13. drandreabonior says:

Aw, come on. You left out the fact that he’s got a close family member with cancer. He could very well be struggling just to get through the day, and there are plenty of worse ways to cope than paying someone to help you.

Having worked as a psychologist and professor at universities for years, I know firsthand that many students who get overwhelmed end up giving up, acting out, abusing substances, developing eating issues, falling behind, failing out, or asking their professors for unreasonable accommodations. This student, instead, is doing what he can to avoid those paths. He’s got a seriously sick family member is probably stressed and overwhelmed– and yes, even college students are allowed to be stressed! Would we rather him take the usual path of boozing it up and letting his life fall apart?

He’s trying to cope in a functional way and isn’t hurting anyone in the process, and we’re on his back? Wowzers.

14. Alarm Bell says:

spoiled rich kid. How, if he doesn’t have time for a job, does he have the money to pay someone to be an assistant? Rich Daddy Warbucks giving him thousands a month in pocket money?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Alarm Bell: He does have a job. That’s part of why he doesn’t have time to do some basic upkeep. He works part time for a financial company. Consumerist did fail to mention as well that another reason is that a family member has a chronic illness and has checked into the Georgetown Hospital – so he has to take on time spent there as well.

15. denb says:

Cosumerist, are you really posting this?

I am surprised that people still haven’t heard about Tim Ferriss’s 4-hr workweek. This chores outsourcing trick is straight out of there. He pays someone to do his boring tasks while he gets to do something he wants and likes (even if it’s partying).

Yeah, a 20-year-old college student outsourcing tasks he could have done himself is bizarre and obnoxious. But, heck, if he can afford it and pays honestly then what’s the problem with yet another job being created in this crappy economy?

• bohemian says:

@denb: There is also a difference between having someone send your mom flowers and pick up the dry cleaning vs. someone writing your papers and doing your research.

• Laura Northrup says:

@bohemian: If you check out online freelance job sites, there are a lot of job postings for the latter.

• denb says:

@bohemian: If he pays $12/hr to do research & write papers, he’s a cheap-skate douchebag. Not that I approve of paying someone to perform academic tasks – one’s education is their own.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@bohemian: He definitely doesn’t have any academic tasks on his job description. He just needs someone to run errands, shop for food, do the laundry.

• Trai_Dep says:

@pecan 3.14159265: Only because if he advertises for it, he’ll be up on academic probation charges.

• treimel says:

@Trai_Dep:
            And your evidence for that is … oh, right, none at all.

He has a job, goes to school and has a family member who’s hospitalized undergoing cancer treatments–that’s plenty charcter-building, and plenty time-consuming already. I’m honestly shocked at the response this is getting.

• Laura Northrup says:

@denb: Speaking for myself, not for the site: if he were a 25-year-old entrepreneur rather than a college sophomore, I wouldn’t find it nearly as entitled and douchey.

• ExtraCelestial says:

@denb: Honestly, I didn’t see anything wrong with it either.

• Trai_Dep says:

@TinkishDelight: It’s not Snowflake’s fault, but it IS his parents.
        I’m willing to bet William and Harry didn’t have personal assistants until they undertook official responsibilities. And if they don’t rate, neither does Snowflake.

It’s good to teach young ‘ens, even supremely wealthy ones, to perform and think independently.

16. B says:

That’s the best to-do list ever. I’d put the cookie at the top, though.
    If I had to guess which University, Georgetown would definitely be my first guess.

• ExtraCelestial says:

@B: Definitely. There are a lot of private unis that are filled with spoiled rich kids, but at least with schools like UVA or Villanova your last name will get you in the door but if you can’t keep up you won’t last a semester. At Georgetown your degree is truly tied to the depth of daddy’s pockets.

17. Trai_Dep says:

Anyone have any idea of how much it would place an ad for that guy that broke Nancy Kerrigan’s kneecap with that telescoping metal club thingie?
    I’m quite certain:

1) We’ll find more than enough people willing to contribute

2) Mr Popped Collar will scream more like a girl than Nancy*.

* Who, let me be 110% clear on this, handled it 1,000% more manlier that I would ever dream I would do.

• mazzic1083 says:

@Trai_Dep: While I wouldn’t mind seeing the sobbing and tears from this guy I think Nancy Kerrigan did handle it pretty well given the fact that her career looked to be over and no one knew what the frig just happened.

18. superberg says:

Sorry, but if you are a college student in need of an assistant, you are doing something wrong. Or, more likely, you have a lot of money and want to spend more time partying. Either way, a personal assistant while in college is utter self-indulgent nonsense.

It’s like when I see stay-at-home-parents with housekeepers. I guess it’s good to keep people employed, but it’s also incredibly lazy. Especially if your kids are in school all day.

I suppose I’m just bitter, having spent years working for brain-dead layabouts. But the point stands. You simply do not need an assistant to make your way through college. Ever. I think it defeats the purpose. A bachelor’s degree seems to mean less and less every day.

19. pecan 3.14159265 says:

There were days during college I wish I had an assistant. I don’t blame this guy for at least recognizing that he can’t completely handle everything going on. A job, school, family illness -who has time to sit in the laundry room (and you do have to sit with it if you want to keep your clothes).

20. luftmenschPhil says:

My graduate alma mater – it was bad enough seeing a crucifix in every classroom, but to read about spoiled jerks like Cooper, it’s no wonder I don’t participate in any alumni functions.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@luftmenschPhil: a JESUIT university. You knew that was a religion, right? What do you expect?

• H3ion says:

@pecan 3.14159265: Hey, I went there also (law school), didn’t have an assistant, didn’t have wealthy parents, and managed to feed myself, maintain an apartment with another sloppy guy, and hold down a job (and repair my car when it needed it which was frequently). It’s not Georgetown and it’s not the Jesuits. It’s the student and his parents.

21. feckingmorons says:

Why not just use an agency? Explain the details of the job to the agency and let them handle the logistics. The PA, from the job description is not a 1099 type employee and I am going to drop a dime on him to the IRS.

Not real good in management or finance I would assume.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@feckingmorons: He would probably have to pay a fee to the agency for finding him someone. He’s not hiring out of Georgetown. He wants to hire a fellow student who is familiar with the city. Why create a middle man when you know what you’re looking for.

• Laura Northrup says:

@feckingmorons: This story was in the Washington Post. I’m sure someone with power at the IRS has at least glanced at it.

• treimel says:

@Laura Northrup:

You’re a lot more hopeful about their diligence than I am. Moreover, should an employee of the IRS investigate a person based on an ad for employment that does not yet exist, it is that agent, not the ad-placer who’s in trouble. Also, what’s the indication that he *won’t* comply with the tax requirements?
        Bottom line, an enforcement action here would entail … waiting months to (maybe) nail a guy over (maybe) 400 bucks in, say, missing fico contributions based on an employment that may never come to pass, or be perfectly lawful? Not buying it.

22. TopcatF14B says:

He seems to be proactive about his schooling, I just see a bunch of haterade in the comment section…wah wah wah I have no money and neither should he…wah wah wah.

23. Esquire99 says:

I saw the Facebook photo…his collar was NOT popped.

24. henrygates says:

I bet he’s just doing this to meet chicks. Sure babe, I can hire you, but what are you going to do for the job?

25. wezelboy says:

Sounds like someone is ready for congress.

26. halfcuban says:

To be fair, like others have pointed out, none of the duties in this job are anything that you can’t already hire a company to do for you. In fact thats kind of the point of the various “maid” services that people fire for their homes, or the laundry pick up service that many dry-cleaners offer. Hell, I use a delivery service for my work clothes to pick up and drop off. Admittedly there is an additional sheen of absurdity to this, but its mostly in the form it takes, not in the content.

27. Quasigizmodo says:

MOLE!!!!

28. lesbiansayswhat says:

‘Tasks such as doing laundry that involve a lot of waiting around (time when you could be doing other tasks or doing your own stuff) will be counted for the approximate amount of time it would take to do the labor involved. For instance, laundry will be counted for half an hour even though a laundry cycle takes 1.5 hrs to complete.’

I always get a kick out of people who are too privileged to realize what behavior is appropriate and what isn’t when it comes to things like this. Take 2-3 hours out of your day to center your life around one of my needs but since it’s possible you can be doing something to further your life at the same time in my mind it’s like you owe me now so I’m going to nickel and dime your pay.

• henrygates says:

@lesbiansayswhat: Yeah, no one is going to do 2 hours of work for 30 minutes of pay. The guy’s an idiot there.

• veg-o-matic says:

@lesbiansayswhat: Of everything wrong with his list, that one was perhaps the most ridiculous.

If laundry is so multi-taskable, why can’t Captain Wow do it himself?

• econobiker says:

@lesbiansayswhat: Sounds like he is ready for a corporate vice-president position and whose first task will be to outsource an entire back office staff to an India based firm and only pay for the time the people are working – breaks and lunches are unpaid…

29. nstonep says:

I would think this would be a breach of the code of conduct of the university (depending on what he’s actually going to do).

You can have an assistant if you’re handicapped…maybe he’s mentally handicapped ;)

• treimel says:

@nstonep:

What university on earth would have a code of conduct that prohibits one from hiring someone to help out with laundry and such? Who exactly is mentally handicapped in this scenario, again?

30. ninjatoddler says:

So he figures having someone do his “menial” chores would make his life better. I went to college and I can tell you they like to “borrow” stuff quite a bit and snoop around.

Something tells me young Chuck Cooper is about to learn a lesson of a lifetime after this is over.

• misslisa says:

@ninjatoddler: Absolutely correct – amazed you’re the only one who’s pointed this out. I value my privacy too much to trust anyone outside my immediate circle with my home, clothing, computer, car, etc. I’d rather allow a task to go unfinished than pay someone to complete it, all the while running the risk that they could snoop around, steal my identity, rip off my stuff, etc.

31. CFinWV says:

Well, considering the publicity he’s getting I hope he’s paying attention to any labor laws and filing taxes. Good practice for the real world.

32. GreatWhiteNorth says:

There was a time when this sort of conspicuous consumption would have caused me to vent expletives about the worthlessness of the individual.

But, no longer. If the student, or anyone for that matter, has the money and wants to spend it, then that is good for everyone. Better the wealth be shared than hoarded. As long as it keeps changing hands it keeps the economy moving. Just like the folks who have to buy an obscenely expensive car, house, boat, plane, vacation homes, renovations, trips, clothes, jewelry, etc. It all keeps the money moving and the economy turning over.

Now when I drive down the road and see the $200k dollar car in my rear view mirror I give them a silent thanks for keeping the money moving. When I watch the folks buy that classic cottage on the lake, tear it down in order to build an obscene McMansion, I thank them for both employing the trades, but also paying a larger portion of taxes…

Keeping it in perspective.

Now for the person who gets to be this students PA… if they are lucky they will build some connections, get some experience, earn some money and learn some life lessons… Good for them.

33. treimel says:

Why all the hate? This guy feels he needs an assistant, and is willing to pay a decent wage and a car to whoever chooses to apply. Where, exactly, is the problem there?
    I think a lot of these comments are rooted in simple envy.

34. thesadtomato says:

I think what this guy really wants used to be called a manservant or valet.

• flugennock says:

@thesadtomato:

You could be right about that.

Still, this little bastard is no Bertie Wooster. Wooster may have been an idle rich layabout, but at least he had some class.

35. flugennock says:

I’m from DC — that is, actually born and raised in this area — and I can assure you that this city is absolutely crammed full of wretched, conceited pricks like this, especially on Capitol Hill, where my wife and I live. Pretty much all of them are from out of town — waaaaaaayyy out of town — and show up here to attend Georgetown or GWU mostly (GWU, there’s another useless, stuck-up school), and often have internships on the Hill. There’s four or five of them sharing the house next door to ours, a bunch of insufferable bastards with a sense of entitlement that oozes out of every pore and orifice, who act as if they own the goddamn’ neighborhood.

36. Buckus says:

I’m not really for or against this person. I had a hard time going to school, a full-time job, and a kid, and it was only a public university. If I could afford someone $10/hour for a few hours a day to do some of my other stuff, I probably would have. Damn, now I’m wondering why I didn’t hire a personal assitant myself.

I can see some people’s opinion that he’s not learning life lessons, but then again, isn’t outsourcing your life one of the keys of being successful? I.e how many CEOs do you see picking up their own Starbucks or dry-cleaning?

37. econobiker says:

At least he is hiring a citizen and not applying for an HI-B visa immigrant…

38. kmw2 says:

Doesn’t this kid have a dorm-mate on financial aid and with better organizational skills?

39. irv says:

Why are people bashing this? If he gets very high grades (and has other accomplishments) because of the extra time, he could end up earning much more in salary than he paid his personal assistant. It’s an investment, like education in general.

I think a lot of people do what he is doing, but they lean on their parents or spouses for free.

• treimel says:

@irv:
      People are just envious of people with money. There’s not a thing wrong with what he’s doing.

• lesbiansayswhat says:

@irv: because if you read the actual ad it’s full of absurdities (see: laundry)..other than that people are just making fun of the excess of wealth and what that sometimes results in.

40. Carlee says:

I don’t see anything wrong with this. I mean, I wouldn’t want to be doing someone’s laundry (and getting paid less time than it takes because he thinks it should be calculated a certain way), but heck, we live in a capitalist country. If he can afford it, and if he isn’t asking the PA to do anything illegal, who cares?

I highly doubt it’s against school rules (on what basis?). Maybe there should be a school rule that college students with kids should watch their kids themselves – how dare they hire a teenager to babysit?

Granted, maybe this guy’s parents are paying for his tuition and it’s actually their money that he’s using to pay for a PA (though he has a part-time job?) – but if his parents are fine with it, so what?

(I admit – when I first read the headline, I was kind of like “what the heck?” – but after reading the article and thinking about it, it seems fine).