Heather at The Greenest Dollar read How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer earlier this summer, and it made her see Costco in an entirely new way. The point behind all that crazy luxury stuff for sale at Costco isn’t just to sell it, she says; it’s to prime your brain with feel-good dopamine so that you’re far more likely to splurge on the more affordable items deeper in the store.
Why Costco Taunts You With High-End Luxury Items
By cwalters September 18, 2009
More From Consumerist
- What Not To Buy At Costco
- Report: Costco Has Plans To Sell A “Kirkland Signature” Chevy Truck
- Does Using Someone Else’s Costco Card To Steal From Store Count As Burglary?
- Federal Court Rules In Favor Of Costco In Gray-Market Omega Watch Case
- 4 Things We Learned About The Psychology Of Costco’s Free Samples