Slap Chop Remix Becomes Real Informercial

The Slap-Chop rap remix is going to become an actual infomercial, reports TMZ. Unfortunately, it seems they couldn’t get the rights clearance to the Breakin clips used in the original and replaced them with stock footage of people breakdancing poorly. They do throw in a bunny costumed person dancing in the street, so that’s cool. I guess we now have a new rule: internet memes trump hooker-beating.

Comments

1. missdona says:

I hope DJ Steve Porter is reaping the monetary benefits. Or at least scored a free Slap Chop and Graty.

• Yoko Broke Up The Beatles says:

@missdona:

DJ Steve Porter is no idiot. When he sees a dumptruck full of cash pull up to his house, he doesn’t turn it away.

2. Thaddeus says:

Do we really want internet memes selling stuff? This could get weird and gross and once it starts it wont stop and THEN what? Then what?

That being said I love the video so I’m all for this one.

3. TheStateOnDVD2Day_GitEmSteveDave says:

White people breakdancing? I don’t believe it. I also find the rabbit used about half way through it another source of dis-belief that this will be used on “real” tv.

4. Van Wolfe says:

All I have to say is this is one of the greatest ideas EVER. although after the 15th time watching it it will get as annoying as most infomercials but that will be a blast seeing it on TV

5. trunkwontopen says:

I showed this to a colleague at work, and he plays it 4-5x a day, even jams the MP3 in his truck. I really like what DJ Steve did with this.

6. GyroMight says:

Billy Mays is rolling in his grave, didn’t he despise the Slap Chap?

• Chris Stone says:

@GyroMight: I don’t know if he hated the product itself as much as he hated Vince and the ShamWow. But yes, in an interview, he referred to it as the Crap Chop.

• Yoko Broke Up The Beatles says:

@GyroMight:

I’m sure he hated more that someone was stealing a little of his spotlight. His organization should get some club DJ to remix Orange Glo or some shit, and Billy will be right back on top!

• Jim Topoleski says:

@GyroMight: He hated Vince over the Shamwow because the product was basically one of the ones he was selling first earlier.

Really Slap Chop is the same thing too. We had a professional version of it for years in my family for stuff like onions, so its not anything new.

7. Skin Art Squared says:

People actually watch infomercials?

8. hypnotik_jello says:

Hah. check out woot.com now, they be dissin’ the slap chop

9. missy070203 says:

totally have the Youtube version on my Myspace page followed by the WTF blanket video…..

10. topgun says:

Why does anybody care?

11. Willow01 says:

That dancing bunny rules…

12. cete-of-badgers says:

It’s rather unfortunate that they linked a product called a “Slap Chop” with a guy who seems to have a predilection for beating up prostitutes in hotel rooms. All I can think of when I see that Vince guy is what a piece of shit he is.

• Joe_Bloe says:

@cete-of-badgers: I’m not sure if one incident = predilection. Didn’t the hooker bite his tongue and not let go? I’m not saying he’s blameless, but it sounds like they were both drunk idiots.

ShamWow Guy In Slap, Chop Bust

• liquidnumb says:

@Joe_Bloe:

Vincebo: They drew first blood, not me.

Trautman: Look Vince, let me come in and get you the hell out of there!

Vincebo: They drew first blood…!!!

• cete-of-badgers says:

@Joe_Bloe: I never read anything saying that his tongue was damaged (articles say he was treated for injuries, but not what kind) in any way by the incident, while the woman ended up with FACIAL FRACTURES. They were both doing something massively dumb, but that doesn’t make Vince any less of a piece of shit.

Predilection was probably the wrong word, I’ll admit…

13. ephdel says:

the break dancers in the new version are HORRIBLE. ffs, i think my eyes are bleeding.

and WTF WAS WITH THE RABBIT?!

14. Joe_Bloe says:

My wife seriously bought the slap chop because of the remix.

Obligatory product review: not impressed.

15. Yoko Broke Up The Beatles says:

What’s next? Ric Flair using DJ Steve Porter’s “I’m the WHOOO” remix as his official promo? I’m all for it!

16. Ghede says:

@EarlNowak: … Shit, now I want one too.

Well, maybe we can get a fund-raiser going. There is a reason informercials go on in the middle of the night, advertising time is cheap then.

17. Swizzler121 says:

i’m glad they are in the “here and now” enough to poke fun at themselves.

18. Skin Art Squared says:

@cete-of-badgers: “It’s rather unfortunate that they linked a product called a “Slap Chop” with a guy who seems to have a predilection for beating up prostitutes in hotel rooms.”

In his defense, she BIT him. You wouldn’t defend yourself against a rabid, possibly disease infested, biting prostitute? Not to mention, as a paid service professional under a verbal contract, biting your customers is very unprofessional. Maybe punching her was uncalled for. He could have just politely requested that she cease biting him, then file an e-mail complaint with the United Prostitutes Association of America.

In Slap Chop’s defense, he was hawking that crap prior to the prostitute incident.

• cete-of-badgers says:

@BZMedia: Rabid? A prostitute with rabies? I guess I would defend myself against…one of those…

• Skin Art Squared says:

@cete-of-badgers: “A prostitute with rabies?”

Sure… didn’t you see “Quarantine”? Not sure if there was any hookers in it, but definitely some rabid people.

• Tonguetied says:

@cete-of-badgers: I would defend myself against anyone biting my lip and refusing to let go.

It’s obvious rabid was used in the sense of “crazy whacko” rather than “infected with rabies” but if you want to avoid the commonsense understanding that when your lip is being gnawed on by a crazy woman it’s okay to try to get her off you by any means necessary then go right ahead.

19. Zclyh3 says:

DJ Steve Porter should be hired for real infomercials. I’d probably buy a slap chop if I saw his remixed version.

• ichiban1081 says:

@Zclyh3: When I first heard the remix I knew it was going to be something huge. If he doesn’t get some sort of job doing remixes or something then that is a huge loss. I would actually stop fast forwarding through commercials with my DVR if more commercials were like this.

20. Zclyh3 says:

Ok the replacement break dancers are utter garbage.

21. fuzzymuffins says:

crappy dancers look wayyy out of place here …. too bad they couldn’t have remixed in more footage instead.

i happen to think the song ITSELF holds weight even w/o the video…. i DJ the song at my gigs….

22. cmdrsass says:

I loved the remix, but for general audiences it will go over about as well as Snakes on a Plane.

• Skin Art Squared says:

@cmdrsass: “Snakes on a Plane” was a breath of fresh air and a slice of classic American film history. Someday we’ll reflect back on that wondrous work of pure genius and marvel at the nuance and intricacies of what is surely, Hollywood’s finest hour.

23. Aphex242 says:

I saw this about a week ago and couldn’t believe it. I’ve been a fan of the YouTube mashup for months and it was actually pretty cool to see it on TV.

The bunny in the street is about the only good part of the added footage.

24. Syntania says:

Heck, this Slap Chop thing’s been around for years…I remember my mom having the 60’s version of it, was a knob with a spring that went into a metal cap, and it fastened onto a glass jar. You put your stuff in the glass jar, lid on, whack it a few times, and presto….badly cut stuff. Good for onions though, at least you didn’t tear up with everything inside a glass jar.

25. KMan13 still wants a Pontiac G8 says:

watch this … you’re gonna love my nuts

26. allstarecho says:

This explains why DJ Steve Porter keeps deleting requests on his YouTube page for him to do a tribute to Billy Mays using Billy Mays’ original Quick Chop infomercial. I know I’ve asked him twice to do it and so has others, only to find the requests mysteriously gone the next day.

Vince’s Slap Chop and Graty? Billy Mays was promoting Quick Chop and Quick Grater long before Vince.

Vince’s ShamWow? Billy Mays was promoting Zorbeez long before Vince.

Long live Billy Mays, the ‘King of Chop!”

27. InnerRayg says:

I saw this on TV a few weeks ago.

28. CumaeanSibyl says:

You’re telling me they couldn’t get the rights to Breakin’? What’s the matter, didn’t find enough change in the couch?

I love those movies with a love both pure and true, but come on, they can’t be that expensive.

29. Dahmer says:

Haha, I just read this and it’s on TV right now. Amazing. I wonder how long it’ll take till I want to break my TV in anger.

30. trujunglist says:

I don’t have a problem with the dancers or the bunny rabbit, the part them really suck is the composition of the shots. They’re all pretty much the same framing; full body shots, lots of space especially around the white chick and the rabbit. They need to have some different angles at the very least, and maybe replace the fist sequence with something equally random. Have the rabbit hold a carrot. Chop it. Whatever. Anything other than full body shots with lots of space! How about some rabbit close ups? I don’t get why they didn’t see this as a problem.

• trujunglist says:

@trujunglist:

btw that’s the first time i’ve seen that and i have to say the chorus is amazingly well done. it probably took him a really really long time to do all that. the result was worth it.