How I Lost 100.4 Pounds In 6 Months

Reader Tyler started 344pounds.com to document his weight loss journey. We’ve checked in with him before when he lost 32 and then 54.6 pounds. Now that he’s hit the hundred-pound-loss mark, Tyler wrote this feature for us to share his methods.

On January 15th, I weighed 344.2 pounds. As of July 8th, I weigh 243.8 pounds. I’ve lost 100.4 pounds in the last 6 months by eating moderately (portion control) and exercising. I’ve gone from a 4XLT shirt and size 48 pants to wearing XL and size 38 pants. I no longer have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, or back problems. Here’s how I did it.

Counting Calories

You need to use more calories than you bring in to lose weight – this creates a calorie deficit. Once you have created a deficit of 3,500 calories, you’ll lose 1 pound. Most “experts” advise that you should only lose a pound or so a week, which would require you to have a daily calorie deficit of 500 pounds.

I obviously didn’t heed this advice; I thought it was more dangerous to weigh 344 pounds than to lose an extra few pounds a month, but however much weight and how quickly you’d like to lose it is up to you.

To calculate a calorie deficit, you can find out how many calories you’re consuming by reading the nutritional labels found on all food packaging. Most restaurants also post nutritional information, but please know that these figures are believed to be drastically underestimated.

It’s a little bit harder to estimate the calories you’re using in your various daily activities. To get an idea on how many calories you’re burning, take a look at one of the many “calorie calculators” available on the web. It is said that the numbers presented by these calorie calculators are skewed a little, but you should still be able to use them as a rough guide as you start your weight loss program.

Physical Activity

I go to the gym at least 5 days a week. Not only do I go to the gym, but I also incorporate a lot of other physical activity into my life like basketball. It’s hard some days forcing myself to go to the gym, but it’s absolutely mandatory if you’re otherwise sedentary all day at an office job.

With that being said, the gym isn’t the only or even ideal option for physical activity. If you can burn calories on a daily basis by doing something that’s fun and social, like basketball, swimming, walking with the family, etc., you’ll be more likely to stick to it.

Any physical activity is good; just make sure you do it every single day. You can take days off of the gym, just don’t take days off from being active. Do something to elevate your heart rate daily.

Food & Diet

The thing I hated about past diets is that they’re all or nothing thing. Diets give you one cheat meal a week and the rest of the time it’s “no sugar” or “no carbs” or some other nonsense. I don’t want to pass up going out for pizza with the family on Friday nights for the rest of my life because of a diet. Diets are designed to restrict your life, which is why I didn’t lose 100 pounds on a diet. In fact, it was lost by eating cheeseburgers, fries, and bacon on a weekly basis – albeit in moderation. I do certainly try to eat more fruits, vegetables, and other healthy foods, but I know that it’s fine to eat what I want when I feel like it as long as I limit the portions and make sure I’m not gluttonous. If I do really want to loosen the belt so to speak one day, I’ll make sure I play a little longer on the basketball court or stay at the gym that night a few extra minutes to burn more calories than usual.

This plan worked for me and hopefully it’ll work to some extent for you!

- Tyler, 344pounds.com

PREVIOUSLY: Blogger Loses 54.6 Pounds In 10 Weeks
Losing 32lbs In 6 Weeks. Just 68 To Go

Comments

1. Aladdyn says:

Eat less and exercise more? Crazy talk. plus was wondering why this was on here but technically I guess it IS about consuming.

• Ben Popken says:

@Aladdyn: You can save a lot of money in overall health care costs if you stay fit.

• BEERxTaco says:

@Ben Popken: I’ve lost 51.4 lbs (from 310.2 to 258.8) in the last 4 months doing the same thing, basically. I go to Weight Watchers and work out at the YMCA 3 times a week. It’s amazing how easy it is once you actually commit to a lifestule change.

• whitecat says:

@BEERxTaco: This is nothing special or particularly difficult. It’s incredibly easy for any reasonably healthy male under the age of 50 to lose weight (and for most of them over 50, too). They just cut out a beer a day and walk a mile, and they lose weight. Big deal. It doesn’t work that way for everyone, obviously – if it was this simple and easy for everyone there wouldn’t be an obesity epidemic.

When you find, say, a woman over 50 with hypothyroidism and asthma losing weight by merely eating a little less and exercising a little more, come and tell us about it. I’m not going to hold my breath.

Bottom line, “exercise more and eat less” is NOT a magic formula that works for everyone.

• wkm001 says:

@whitecat:

Maybe it won’t work for you. But it will for 98% of everyone else, and that is one hell of a lot of people.

Your body can’t make something from nothing. Don’t put the bad stuff in.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

@wkm001: That’s not technically true. Body chemistry, especially where metabolism is concerned is incredibly stupid. Especially in females. You’ve seen the commercials with the cartoon woman who shows the difference between her husband’s weight loss and her own on the same diet? Women are generally meant to have a little more fat that society deems healthy, and as such, their bodies hold onto it more vigorously, burning muscle and storing ANYTHING as fat after a certain level rather than converting it to energy.

• whitecat says:

@wkm001: No, it won’t work for anyone but healthy under-40 males – less than 50% of the population. If it worked for 98% of the population, we still wouldn’t have an obesity epidemic.

Nutrition and weight and metabolism are far more complex than you think. There is much more to it than calories in and calories burned – like I said, as most real experts also say, and as should be obvious, if it was easy everyone would be exactly the weight they want and there wouldn’t be a $40 billion weight-loss industry.

Don’t make assumptions about my, or anyone’s, eating or exercise habits, health conditions, or ages. You’re probably wrong. In this case, you certainly are.

• katstermonster says:

@whitecat: It’s simple, not easy. Very few people even have the time/energy to add a significant workout schedule to their days (I went to the gym at 5:30, and I’m now falling asleep at my desk…it’s a trade-off.). Eating healthy is expensive. I don’t think anyone here is saying it’s easy, and no one here is looking down on those whose bodies, metabolisms, and medical conditions genuinely keep them from using this method to lose weight. But this general formula, adapted to the individual, works. Period. Heck, last week, a study came out that said that a calorie-restricted diet lengthened the lives of lab rats…it’s pretty clear there’s a correlation.

• EdnaLegume says:

@whitecat: do you have the links that support your statistics? who are the “real experts”?

we have an obesity epidemic because most people CHOOSE to eat too much, the wrong thing and live sedentary lives.

lol eat less, move more. aren’t you also making assumptions by assuming it won’t work for anyone BUT “healthy under-40 males”?

• gaywolverine says:

@whitecat: Please provide your “experts: who say it is much more complex than calories in versus calories out. he problem is too many people use excuses like “its glandular” or “i’m big boned” while they sit at KFC with a bucket gone then ordering their diet coke and thinking they cut back.

• DeeKey says:

@whitecat: And as I tell all my overweight friends, if they lived with me for a week, I guarantee! a weight loss as there would be no “cheating” and no sitting on your booty, and no junkfood. Portion control, healthy food, and movement are foolproof and you are lying to yourself and everyone else if you say different.
                You CAN improve your metabolism if you want to. Don’t let any quack tell you different. I am so sick of the BS excuses. Nutritionists and trainers know more about weightloss than your MD. It is a lifestyle change that is needed for anyone serious about losing fat in the double or triple digits.
                When I start losing my “winter 10″ every spring that I gained from being indoors all winter, I know exactly how to do it and do it fast without much change to diet, and this is after major surgery left me unable to stand for any real length of time.

• MauriceCallidice says:

@whitecat: The limitations you describe may make it more difficult, but if you burn more calories than you eat, you will eventually lose weight.

• HRHKingFridayXX says:

@whitecat: Well, for people under 35, yes. And if you shape up younger you won’t be the over 50 hypothyroidism lady.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@HRHKingFridayXX:

Except hypothyroidism has nothing to do with shape.

[www.mayoclinic.com]

• katstermonster says:

@HogwartsAlum: I could be wrong, but I think what he was trying to say is that if you work out at a younger age, you won’t be trying to get back in shape at an older age, with or without hypothyroidism. Although with hypothyroidism, you don’t necessarily have control over the weight gain, so we may be back to the same quandary. :) Blast! Paradoxes!

• HogwartsAlum says:

@katstermonster:

Just don’t let them cancel you out while you’re introducing your mom’s prom to “Johnny Be Good.” Of course, that would be a DRASTIC way to lose weight! ;)

• DeeKey says:

@katstermonster: Muscles have memory, if you were in shape for a decent portion of your life, it will only take half the amount of time to get back into shape as it would for someone who was never in shape. It can always be attributed to how important your parents thought exercise is/was. If they were/are sedentary and overweight, then it is likely their children will be too. So sad for todays kids and I personally think it’s criminal to lead your children to obesity just because it is your lifestyle choice. They will pay the price for their entire lives.

• Hoss says:

@HRHKingFridayXX: Try some ethnic markets — you know those small stores that you can’t read the tags. Produce in those markets is often both cheap and fresh

• Sassafras says:

@HRHKingFridayXX: Weight and age are not the determining factors as to whether you have hypothyroidism. I’m under 35 and otherwise healthy. My hypothyroid kicked in as a result of having children.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@whitecat:

I’m 44 and hypothyroid and it IS harder, but it can be done. I’ve already lost a few pounds just by getting off my ass once in a while. I don’t eat that MUCH food but I’ve been trying to eat healthier.

Go Tyler! Congratulations buddy! :)

• fairywench says:

@whitecat: There were no fat people in Auschwitz. It IS that simple. I have far worse health problems than that, including severe allergies to most fruits & vegetables, soy, dairy, wheat, nuts, beans, and a bunch of other foods, plus a physical condition that causes constant fatigue and waking up each morning with what feels like a hangover, and yet I manage to stay lean and strong. Oh and I’m a 48 year old woman. You simply have to make up your mind that you WILL do it. Not “I’m gonna try to lose weight”, but rather “I WILL lose weight and nothing will stop me.”

• grumpygirl says:

@whitecat: Good point, but keep in mind that a huge number of people who are overweight in this country are simply in need of eating less and exercising more.

I myself have no thyroid and have had greatly frustrating weight gains that simply cannot be explained by dietary changes or decreases in exercise, so I do know where you’re coming from. That said, sticking to a regular exercise plan has always helped me – even if I’ve never been lucky enough to experience the same results as Tyler writes about. No matter how unfair it seems, losing 10 lbs is better than losing 0 lbs or even gaining 5 lbs.

• HRHKingFridayXX says:

@Ben Popken: Although I’ve found buying healthy food that I like (ie not just rice n beans) costs much more than junk. Though I’d rather pay more now and save money when I’m older on health care costs, its just hard when you aren’t making as much as a young adult.

• Hoss says:

@HRHKingFridayXX: I know what you mean — but if you avoid buying prepared foods, you can actually save money be eating healthly. If you don’t like cooking every day, you can set a menu by making larger meals and enjoying leftovers, or by freezing for another time. But if you need to avoid specific staples such as wheat, dairy, salt or meat, you’re right — eating healthly can be expensive

• HRHKingFridayXX says:

@Hoss: Some of it is just being in an urban environment. The produce at conventional grocery stores is rotten, so I go over to Whole Foods. And on top of that, I have a work/life schedule that matches better to fast food than cooking and planning with leftovers. Also, I cook for one, so its hard to cook the big meal and then have the same thing for the next 2-3 nights.

• katstermonster says:

@HRHKingFridayXX: I’m a poor grad student in an area with limited grocery options (Storrs, CT is kind of in the middle of nowhere), so I’ve become a circular and coupon fiend. I have just had to adjust my expectations and only buy the cheapest produce, and then only when it’s on sale. I’m eating a LOT of watermelon…but the good news is that corn is cheap in the summer! :)

• fairywench says:

@HRHKingFridayXX: I say this with the best of intentions-there will always be an excuse. There is never going to be a time when life is perfect and the stars are aligned and it’s the right time to start eating right and exercising. You just have to do it. You have to make it your first priority in life. Too tired? Too bad, go work out. Too much stress? Too bad, deal with it and go eat some fruit, not fries. That is the ONLY way it will work.

• hisnameisdre says:

@Ben Popken:
        Very true…I used to have a bad back, and since I started working out my back has been feeling great. I wasn’t overweight either (190-195lbs @ 6 ft), but I’ve lost a lot of weight (relatively) and feel great.

Before I started working out, doctors pretty much told me that I’d have to get a shot of steroids into my spine occasionally and probably have surgery at some point. I ended up getting one of those shots and it helped me out for about a week…it also set me back a few thousand dollars (not even close to being “worth it”). Then I started working out (it was actually to get rid of a hangover) and noticed that my back was feeling much better. So I continued and now my back pain is minimal, the shooting pains in my leg are gone, and my body, as a whole, is in great shape. Everybody should work out.

It also makes me hate the health care system. I got MUCH better results by buying a cheap $30 pair of running shoes than I did by spending thousands of dollars on shot that helped me for a week. Not a single doctor recommended/suggested to me that I work out.

• calquist says:

@hisnameisdre: I don’t doubt that didn’t recommend you to exercise, but I’m sure saying that doesn’t work. Yes, exercise can improve your health, but I bet many Americans would rather take a pill or an injection to feel better. I’m not trying to start a health care debate, but if the majority of people were willing to go for a run or start exercising to feel better, I don’t think the obesity/health problems would be as great as they are (it still wouldn’t be a perfect world by any means).

• oneandone says:

@hisnameisdre: I had the same exact experience – herniated disc, 1 shot, minimal effects. I asked about PT or anything I could do, and the doctor totally put it down and said it wouldn’t help. Fast forward 2 months when I was visiting home, and my mom asked me to accompany an elderly aunt to some special yoga classes, because she wanted my aunt to keep being active. After a few of the classes, I started feeling much better and then got the instructor to show me some back/core specific stretches. I started feeling good enough to go back to the gym and after losing 10 lbs lost the back pain.

It might come back, but I’d rather try exercise first & shots/surgery as a last resort.

• Aladdyn says:

@Ben Popken: true. Was supposed to be more of a joke than really questioning.

• Jabberkaty says:

@Ben Popken: Oddly enough, I do exercise to save money. I lost a few pounds, got my pants altered (taken in) and refuse to let them be taken out, which means I have to exercise to avoid a wardrobe overhaul.

Just say ‘no’ to elastic waistbands! Otherwise you don’t know what’s creeping up on you.

• JediJohn82 says:

@Aladdyn:

I think that the editors are implying that their readers are fat and should lose some weight…which sadly might be the truth.

I could stand to lose about 30lbs personally.

• dark_inchworm says:

@Aladdyn: I’ve seen a lot of posts lately that made me wonder “Why is this on the Consumerist, of all places?” Really though, I like the variety. As long as it doesn’t become another Perez Hilton… haha

• jamiesue says:

@Aladdyn: I think it’s an ok article for the Consumerist. A nice reminder not to buy into miracle pill hype.

• Bobbie Evans says:

@Aladdyn:
      How about eat the same as always and exercise more?

I lost 96 pounds in 1 year by eating the same as always, but walking 9 miles a day(on a treadmill and outdoors). This created a 900 calorie deficit. I lost eight without going hungry and enjoyed the walking – year-round. And I’ve kept the weight off for 4-1/2 years!

• trujunglist says:

@Bobbie Evans:

This too is my plan. I have been watching what I eat a little bit, but I find the idea of not eating what I want a trade off that I’m not willing to make. I love fruits, veggies, etc, but if I want a damn burger and shake then I’m getting one.
        The trade off is to spend extra time in the gym or doing a physical activity. Tyler seems to be taking that route too, which I think is more healthy in the end, at least mentally. It can get very boring and frustrating to do a diet which ultimately can lead to ending it all together, so the solution is not to really do it (yes, do make an effort to find lower fat/lower carb foods that you can partake in and that can replace other foods for you, but don’t obsess over it), and to just spend more time working off the calories. An elliptical trainer can burn like 800 calories in an hour, so if you want a big mac instead of a low fat dressing salad, just spend an extra 15 min on the elliptical to take off the additional calories from the Big Mac.. not too hard and not much extra effort. Thankfully I already enjoy eating healthy foods, so the occasional Big Mac is more like what eating healthy probably means for some people… only very rarely.

2. Megladon says:

Congrats to him

3. JoeDirt says:

Good for Tyler. I love food and beer. I wish I could get motivated like him.

• katstermonster says:

@JoeDirt: I, too, <3 food and beer…I just express that love a little less than I used to, haha. I stopped drinking so much and now I get tipsy after one or two beers…it’s really cheap, and it makes me feel 16 again!!!! Woo! Also, it means I can drink good beer every time I’m out without going broke.

• DeeKey says:

@katstermonster: I tell myself I can always have that cheesecake or whatever TOMORROW, and if I still want it the next day, I have it, but it is usually just a passing craving. It has worked for me for 20 years.
        I did the same thing with the booze and was amazed how much more I could eat by giving up the booze calories and eating real foods. Now 2 Guinness give me a buzz and its low calorie to boot! Red wine and sprite is also tasty and not bad for you, if you have a large glass for dessert instead of that chocolate cake.

• GyroMight says:

@JoeDirt: It’s all about moderation. People think that they can never eat any good soul food ever again, but they can. Take up jogging or whatever just stay active. Eat well most of the time and it never hurts to indulge yourself two – three times a week.

• cuchanu says:

@JoeDirt: You could always marry a Mormon who is a bad cook or a great vegetarian cook. You’d be set.

• JoeDirt says:

@JoeDirt: @JoeDirt: @cuchanu: I’m going to try Jimmy Tango’s Fat Busters. Ride the snake.

4. tard says:

Awesome job Tyler!

Losing that kind of weight through exercise and eating right isn’t easy!

5. Brain.wav says:

Another piece of advice for the gym, if you’re going to be using the treadmill, stationary bike, or any other aerobic machine, bring a distraction. At least a music player, but if you can multi-task a bit, a book or portable game system (but not a fast-paced game) can be more effective.

• MostlyHarmless says:

@Brain.wav: I bring movies loaded on my PSP. So it typically is one whole movie in 3 sessions of about 30 mins each, with water and cooling off breaks in between.

I am in that annoying ‘slightly more than ideal’ zone where the weight and body fat % are very good, but all the fat is at the waist.

• MrDo says:

@Brain.wav: if you can read a book or play a game you’re not working out.

• Brain.wav says:

@MrDo: Not really. I can maintain a good pace on a stationary bike and still read or play an RPG. Pedaling and running are pretty mindless activities, which is why they’re so boring. Granted, yes, your focus on either won’t be as much as it would be if you did one, and you probably won’t get quite the workout you would if you only pedaled, but doing this will make the experience much more pleasant.

• Ratty says:

@Brain.wav
          @MostlyHarmless: : You really can’t, though. if you’re able to focus on the distraction like that you’re not pushing yourself as hard as you should be. Music at most.

• MostlyHarmless says:

@Ratty: As I said before, 0.75 efficiency is still greater than 0.0 efficiency.

• ohenry says:

@MostlyHarmless: Well said. If reading a book and only working out at even 50% of what you could be doing is one option, or the other is not reading a book and getting bored after a week and not working out at all, option 1 is obviously the best way to go.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@Brain.wav:

I take my iPod for walks and listen to relatively fast-paced music, and try to keep up with it. It pumps up my walk!

• MostlyHarmless says:

@MrDo: As long as you maintain a steady pace, its all good.

On the other hand, if you did not have the distraction, you’d be focusing on the boredom and how much your back hurts, and how much your thighs hurt, and how slowly the time is moving, thus making you dislike working out at best, and making you give up early at worst.

• Baccus83 says:

@MostlyHarmless: Isn’t it a better idea to NOT maintain a steady pace when exercising on a stationary bike or treadmill? I mean, you get a better work-out when you’re having to deal with uneven surfaces and pace-changes. Instead of keeping your heart-rate in one place and letting your body get used to one pace, it’s probably a better idea to change it up a bit.

• MostlyHarmless says:

@Gene Gemperline: Well yeah, what I meant was that as long as you dont ‘lose the flow’ you will be fine. I have seen some people slow down to a crawl while working out and reading, or watching news and then speed up abruptly to make up for it. This can be very easily avoided by using one of the inbuilt programs on the machine, instead of the manual. The resistance acts like those grooves on the side of the road, letting you know when you are drifting.

• calquist says:

@MrDo: Reading and playing video games would be hard to do if you are working out at a good level. Watching a movie, TV or listening to music is legit. Then again, any activity is better than just sitting on the couch and eating ice cream while playing the game or reading.

• Theoutlet says:

@MrDo: This.

Music is pretty much the only thing you can enjoy while working out. Well.. that and the good feeling you get from a hard workout.

• littlemisslondon says:

@Brain.wav: My “pushed out a baby, yay, now let’s lose the baby weight” gift to myself is going to be a tiny little TV to mount on the wall in front of my treadmill. I run at a pace that means I can’t really read a book or play a game, but I can sure as hell watch an episode of Seinfeld while I pound out a couple miles.

• katstermonster says:

@littlemisslondon: My gym has TV’s on every cardio machine…the downside is that I now find it hard to do the workout without the TV. Except for running outdoors, which I always find to be more interesting than watching television while running.

• DeeKey says:

@littlemisslondon: Nursing is also a huge, huge calorie loss and the best kept secret for losing baby weight. Nurse as long as you can and it just melts off even if, like me, you gained 60 lbs during pregnancy giving in to every craving and bumping Little Debbie’s stock up several points. In 10 months I was back in my bikini and relatives were stunned.

• blackwar12 says:

@Brain.wav:

Like what others said…if you’re able to READ a book while you’re working out, you’re probably -barely- in the fat-burning zone. When I use the bike, threadmill, or the elliptical, I do high internal training. My heart rate is at about 185-190 beats per minute about 70% of the time ( about 85-90% of my max heart rate), and it drops to the low and mid cardio range during rests.

The good thing about this is that not only am I NEVER bored (you won’t feel bored when you’re at 90% of your max heart beat, trust me), but it is much, much, much, much, more effective than going to the gym and …reading a book or playing a game while exercising.

Doing exercises that allow you to read/play games isn’t even 50% of the efficiency you would get from high internal cardio training. Not even close. You burn less than half the calories EASILY, and on top of that, you don’t benefit from the huge boost of metabolism that high interval training gives your body.

• chocolate1234 says:

@blackwar12:
        An “easy” workout is better than no workout at all. In college, I would work out hardcore for a half hour, and spend the remaining half hour rewarding myself by reading a book while on the bike. It was the only time I allowed myself to read a “fun” book, because I was so swamped with schoolwork. I certainly wasn’t burning as many calories as I could have if I had been concentrating solely on the workout, but it kept me going back to the gym day after day, and I ended up staying healthier that way. It’s all about balance.

6. bnelson333 says:

Counting calories, portion control, and exercise, yep yep yep. I’m on this journey too, have lost 31 lbs in 12 weeks, he’s right, it works.

• Zeke_D says:

@bnelson333: I have also lost 30-odd pounds in 3 months cutting out the daily soda, portion control (which is hard because I love food, and have eaten it all over the world), and daily light excercize. I have already hit my plateau, and am only shedding about a pound a week. only about 28 pounds to go to get to my BMI target of 200 pounds.

• Alessar says:

@bnelson333: Me too, 30 in about 3 months, hit a plateau in the winter when I threw out my back, now I’m losing again. ^_^

• bumpducks says:

@bnelson333: Kudos to all of you! Keep up the good work!

7. katstermonster says:

WOW…bravo, Tyler! I hope this inspires more people to do the same.

I’m a healthy weight (female, 5 foot 10, 150 pounds) but have been disgusted at my lack of physical activity as well as my fitness level, so I’ve been making an effort to get to the gym a few days a week. I don’t know if I’d have your dedication, so kudos for that!!! You must feel great.

• cuchanu says:

@katstermonster: Sometimes I think it’s people like you (don’t get fat even without watching diet or exercise) that have it worse because at lease fat people have a good indicator of their overall health. There are plenty of seemingly in shape people who die of heart disease.

• chocolate1234 says:

@cuchanu: You really don’t have enough information to make that kind of statement. Katstermonster mentioned her exercise level, but nothing about her diet. For all you know, she could be an incredibly healthy eater, but lack in the exercise department. I don’t exercise as often as I should (I’m trying to be better!), but I generally eat really well, so I’m at a very healthy weight, and not worried about heart disease.

8. TheStateOnDVD2Day_GitEmSteveDave says:

As someone who also lost a massive amount of weight, just want to add some things.

A lb of lean muscle will burn on average ~80 calories a day, just being on your body, so the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn, even if you are not exercising.

Also, don’t be discouraged by the scale. You will usually have a precipitous weight drop, followed by a slow decline. Remember that during this time, you may be adding muscle mass, and losing fat, so you may not notice a weight loss, but you are getting healthier.

Anyone else?

• tard says:

@TheStateOnDVD2Day_GitEmSteveDave:

That 80 kcal/day per pound of muscle makes no sense at all. So if you put on 25 lbs of muscle (which isn’t a huge amount) you’ll automatically burn an extra 2000 kcals/day even if you don’t exercise anymore?

I would agree that MAINTAINING 25 lbs of muscle through lifting would require an extra 2000 kcals/day, but if the muscle is inactive, it won’t burn any calories.

‘tard

• Gramin says:

@tard:

You’re right… a pound of muscle only burns 6 calories per day versus the 2 calories per day burned by a pound of fat.

• BEERxTaco says:

@tard: Well, if a muscle is inactive it won’t be a muscle for very long. Muscle mass loss can begin after only 3 days of inactivity, so yes you have to keep working out to build muscle mass, BUT when you are not working out (at “rest”) you will burn more calories than if you were just sedentary with no muscle mass.

• lpranal says:

@BEERxTaco: I don’t know about that 3 days figure. If you’re in a caloric deficit, without enough protein, and doing cardio, maybe. More often than not, nutrients and water leave the muscles if they’re not used, but that returns when you go back to it. If you’re COMPLETELY sedentary, like in a coma or stay in bed all day, its a different story.

• lpranal says:

@TheStateOnDVD2Day_GitEmSteveDave: I was recently reading a study (wish I could find a link to it) that involved putting hamsters on certain diets. One of the diets used saw the hamsters actually gaining weight, yet decreasing in mass. So yes, it is very possible for body composition to change without it reflecting on the scale;

For example, my BMI is currently on the border between “normal” and “overweight” but most people actually consider me skinny. I went from about 175 to 200 and actually lost an inch or two off my waist, and I eat a lot (though usually pretty healthy). Muscle mass is pretty awesome that way.

• lpranal says:

@lpranal: technically that should be gaining weight but decreasing in volume.

• Ghede says:

@lpranal: Oh. Damn. I was going to make a joke about the hamster being put on a diet and transferred to Jupiter. That’s the only way to gain weight but decrease in mass.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@lpranal:

See now this messes me up. This is why I don’t weigh anymore. I put on muscle when I began skating and the number went up, but the clothes got looser. So I use the little black dress thing. When the LBD fits and looks the way it USED to look, that’s when I’ll know I’m where I want to be and can go on maintenance!

• purplegrog says:

@lpranal: how is that possible? isn’t weight mass * gravity? unless the hamsters somehow managed to increase gravity, the only way weight should have gone up is if mass went up. Are you saying that they were gaining weight, yet decreasing in muscle mass?

• Tankueray says:

@lpranal: I wish you could too. One of my first science fair projects was using hamsters and dietary requirements. Won first place that year, took it again the next with a cloning experiment. (Don’t freak out, I was cloning plants.)

• MostlyHarmless says:

@TheStateOnDVD2Day_GitEmSteveDave: Here is a bit of a link on what /tard/ said:

[exercise.about.com]

[exercise.about.com]

• Sanspants says:

@TheStateOnDVD2Day_GitEmSteveDave:Stevedave this is completely off topic, but The State is easily one of the best shows ever. Did you preorder it and get it early and with a shirt?

• Vanilla5 says:

@TheStateOnDVD2Day_GitEmSteveDave: Agreed. As a female, I can definitely say that staying away from the scale is the best thing you can do. Numbers are extremely deceiving compared to how you actually feel about yourself and the scale can actually be counter-productive in that respect (making you feel like crap b/c the numbers aren’t dropping quickly).

I spent my whole life as a fine arts kid (principal cellist, drum major, thespian), had a very physically-active job for 6 years, and then went to a desk job, quickly figuring out that it was horrible for my waistline, energy, metabolism, etc. Then I decided to pick up a sport that didn’t require my left-handed, slow, and uncoordinated self to be good from the jump – rugby. (I’m a prop, if that means anything to anyone.)

Let me tell you – the numbers on the scale don’t matter b/c they don’t move very fast playing this sport, compared to some others. Why? I’m burning fat but I’m also re-building a lot of muscle, which is heavier than fat. We also love beer and that is a sacrifice I’m willing to make.

So, I definitely have to ignore the scale b/c while it says that I’ve only lost a small amount of weight, my pants fit waaaay looser than they did before and I have much more energy and a better mood – these are the true tests. Also – I have the equivalent of a small toddler strapped to my chest at all times. I consider that dead weight.

Way to go, Tyler! =)

• oneandone says:

@Vanilla5: I used to be a lock/second row. High five to a fellow forward (and to all the lady rugby players)!

I’m retired now, but contemplating getting back into it. I never felt better about myself than when playing rugby. I knew I’d never stay active if I wasn’t on a team, outdoors, enjoying the sunshine. Little did I know it would mostly be mud/rain/sleet, but that ended up being even better. I don’t think I ever ‘lost weight’ but I definitely lost fat and enjoyed the new super-strong shoulders and legs.

Plus, as a prop, you’re getting more of a workout than some of the other players. We had some super-friendly scrimmages where forwards & backs switched positions to see what it was like and to have a few laughs. I had no idea that while we were scrumming, they were mostly standing around. Paying attention and getting ready to run, yes, but they got a bit of a breather. Instead of all the pulling and pushing and scrumming.

Keep it up and have fun! Thanks for the nostalgia jolt.

• Vanilla5 says:

@oneandone: You should definitely get back into it! You know ruggers are always welcome home. =)

And you’re tellin the truth about the backs – they get a good overview and lots of time to catch their breath. Not so much when you’re in the pack, huh?

• Magspie says:

@BoardShortin’_GitEmSteveDave:

I lost almost 20 lbs in one day, but I had to give birth to do it. That is really hard, I don’t recommend it.

9. chucklebuck says:

Rock on Tyler. Though your story doesn’t mention how many Acai berries you ate during this process.

I kid, I kid!

10. Intertrode says:

He could have made a lot of money by saying he did it with Acai.

11. tard says:

I think an important point Tyler makes is this:

“…which is why I didn’t lose 100 pounds on a diet. In fact, it was lost by eating cheeseburgers, fries, and bacon on a weekly basis – albeit in moderation.”

People seem to think you need to drastically change what you eat. Not true. You can still drink beer and eat fast food on occasion, but just make it ONE BEER or just ONE regular cheeseburger. If you keep your calories in check YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT!!

‘tard

• kateblack says:

@tard: I frequently drink half a beer and give the rest to my partner, who has the metabolism of a woodchipper.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

@tard: One beer? Why bother? :)

• KStrike155 says:

@Applekid: I agree. I figure I can either:

1) Drink 1 beer and stand in the corner of a club
        2) Drink 12 beers and dance like I think I actually know what I’m doing (and in the process, burning calories!)

• HRHKingFridayXX says:

@tard: Indeed. That’s probably why he was able to stick to it. Going carb free, loading up on acai berries, etc is not a sustainable lifestyle.

• MaelstromRider says:

@tard: Yup, couldn’t agree more. I was very surprised to notice that over the past 2 weeks I’ve lost 11 pounds and the only thing I’m doing differently is eating a sack lunch (sandwich, fruit & chips) instead of eating fast food lunches during the work week. When I reach a plateau this way, then I’ll cut extra calories elsewhere, like portion size @ dinner.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@tard:

This is true. The weekly cheese enchiladas were part of the reason I put on a few pounds. Okay, about 40.

I haven’t been eating as much fast food and that’s helped a lot.

• ajlei says:

@tard: I can hardly eat one burger in a sitting… then again I am on the other end of the scale: skinny without trying. Not that I’m trying to brag, it’s just a nice metabolism that I have, because I do not exercise and it will probably bite me in the ass later. But I get sick of people accusing me of being bulimic/anorexic.

But hey, kudos to Tyler! That’s an awesome goal you’ve achieved.

12. Skin Art Squared says:

I accomplished this also. I did it on the Iraq War Diet Plan. Sweat all day in 130 degree temps and eat virtually nothing. Took 12 months afterwards to get back UP to a healthy weight.

• satoru says:

@BZMedia: That’s a good diet plan, however you should include the obligatory FDA warnings. Cue marketing jingle!

Side effects may include:

1) External bleeding
      2) Internal bleeding
      3) “Lead” poisoning
      4) Limb loss
      5) Nausea or headaches

• miv says:

@BZMedia: horrible, but if the army advertised iraq as a weightloss experience, it might not have as much of a problem getting more people to sign up. Maybe you’ll get too many overweight or neurotic people, but it’s still an increase in interest!

13. Dawnrazor says:

I have been fortunate enough to lose a significant amount of weight (high was 268# in Summer ’07, weigh 184# as of this morning, with a BMI of 21.9!) through a “program” very similar to what Tyler used. I’m 35 now and have not been this thin since about the 7th grade!

As Tyler points out, it’s just basic physics: expend more metabolic energy than you consume. It’s really that simple. All I have done is to limit my portions; I cannot think of a single food I’ve eliminated from my diet (it helps that I got married in ’06-the lovely and beautiful Mrs. Dawnrazor loves to cook, and does amazing things with “healthy” foods!). I do exercise more, but nothing regimented-basically just running around outside crazy with my little boys and riding bicycles.

Really glad to see this post-people make weight loss MUCH more complicated and difficult than it really is.

14. Brent Woodle says:

Just FYI, you don’t have to be obese to follow this advice to lose weight. I’m 5’10” and I just dropped from an overweight 178 lbs to a healthier 164 lbs over the last 2 months using the same strategy.

Portion control is the most difficult thing to master, especially if you enjoy going out to eat like I do…

• katstermonster says:

@Brent Woodle: I like to split my meal right down the middle when I get it. Sometimes if I’m feeling particularly hungry, I’ll be that weirdo that asks the waitress for a to-go box at the beginning of the meal, so I can get half my meal out of my sight. After a few weeks of doing this and controlling my portions in my other meals, I was amazed at how big the meals seemed. I am stuffed halfway through a restaurant portion of anything at this point.

• Outrun1986 says:

@katstermonster: The meals really are huge depending on the place you go. Chances are half of the plate will fill you up. I would not be able to finish all the food on most plates. You just have to remember that the to-go box exists so you don’t feel obligated to stuff yourself just to finish the meal. A lot of people over-stuff themselves just to finish the meal, and that is bad.

• katstermonster says:

@Outrun1986: Exactly. I have big issues with feeling full and continuing to eat, it’s a little amazing that I was only 160 lbs. (I’m 5 foot 10, so this is still pretty damn thin by most standards, but not healthy or in shape!) at my heaviest. I have to create some sort of boundary on my plate or I eat out of boredom or…just because it’s there.

• Mr_Mantastic says:

@Brent Woodle: Nice. I’m 5’10, 168 lbs. I’ve put on a little weight since college when I weighed the same but I was working out. I lost about 15 pounds of muscle after shoulder surgery, and have put on about 18 pounds of fat. I’m still thin, just noticing a belly starting to form. I wanted to get up to 170, but of muscle. I’m going to have to start implementing this plan and get my lazy ass back into the gym!

• bumpducks says:

@Brent Woodle: I signed up for a CSA share this summer. It makes it hard to go out and eat when you know you have 2 bunches of lettuce, one bunch of carrots, one bunch of beets, one bunch of chard and 4 pounds of cherries waiting to be eaten in the refrigerator. It’s a lot of work eating everything before it goes bad, but when you fill yourself up with fruits and veggies there’s less room for anything else.

My husband’s favorite snack- frozen strawberries. He pops them like ice cubes.

15. Josh_G says:

Silly Blogger, you don’t need a bunch of free weights to “get buff.” All you have to do is work on doing push-ups, each and everyday (they are free too!). Do them properly and work at doing at least 60 per day (eventually) and I guarantee you after a month or two of doing 60 or push-ups a day you will be plenty “buff.”

• katstermonster says:

@Josh_G: Sill Josh_G, pushups don’t work all the muscles in your arms/back/chest/legs/etc.

• Josh_G says:

@katstermonster:

While not all of them, by changing how far apart you place your hands and feet, elevating your feet, etc. you will end up working far more muscles then you think.

• katstermonster says:

@Josh_G: I’m aware. You don’t have anything to lose by adding some free weights, though. I only have a set of 12 pounders (I’m female and upper body strength isn’t exactly my forte…), and it takes me far beyond what I’d be able to accomplish with a variety of pushups. Plus, they make lunges just that much more fun! Er…and by fun I mean…terrible.

• Josh_G says:

@katstermonster: See free weights I’m totally into, but from what I was reading it looked like he was wavering a little on pay so much per month for a gym membership. Based on what his goals are now, it seems like to me this guy would be much better off just buying a few free weights and spend the next few months outside of the gym using the free weights and doing the whole push-ups, pull-ups, planks, etc and end up with results more in line with his overall weight-loss goal.

Especially if a personal trainer isn’t coming with this gym membership it is pretty difficult for average people to put together a weight routine that is very effective or doesn’t end up overworking some muscles and underworking others.

My advice would be to skip the gym and just work-up a body-as-weight routine and stick to that for 3 months. Odds are at the end of that 3 months he would be in much better shape then if he sticks to a weight routine in a gym.

I’m speaking from experience here, when I was 20 I weighed around 275lbs, even at 6’4″ I was fat and horribly out of shape. Pulling off an several-hours-at-the-computer-a-thon (Everquest) was about a daily thing for me. I was even a smoker.

But I got tired of that life and just turned things around. By 21 I was on a pretty constant routine of exercising and before my 25th birthday I was 188lbs. The only things I did was run (really jog for several months but still).

• katstermonster says:

@Josh_G: I think we may be arguing the same thing. From his post on the gym, it sounded like he was more concerned with the cost of the cardio equipment than the weights, etc. He’s going to go high-end on that, and if that’s what he needs to do to stay in shape, I gotta get behind him. He’ll definitely save in other areas.

As far as the weight loss, that’s fantastic. BTW: there’s a reason my friend’s now-fiance calls that game Ever-Crack. :-D Took him a few months of getting laid to figure out the trade-off, but he’s all better now. Hahaha.

• enm4r says:

@Josh_G: You’re not going to gain any serious muscle mass doing pushups. I agree they’re great for general health and simple enough for everyone to enjoy but lower weight/higher rep exercises aren’t designed for getting “buff.”

If you’re looking for mass, you need to find something heavy, lift it, and repeat.

• Josh_G says:

@enm4r:

What do you think you are doing in a push-up but heavy lifting? Try doing 60 push-ups with your feet on say a typical 8″ cement block. The weight of your body is magnified greatly.

• Brent Woodle says:

@Josh_G: Being buff is one thing but if you want to be healthy overall doctors recommend 30 minutes of elevated heart rate at least 3 days a week.

Push-ups along with running has been good for me.

• Josh_G says:

@Brent Woodle:

I was only suggesting the push-ups on top of whatever else he has been doing.

What you mentioned is pretty much exactly what I do. Push-ups daily, running 4x a week.

I had been running only for years, but just adding in push-ups and working my way up to 60 a day has increased my upper body muscle quite a bit, that includes my back, arms, and chest.

I’m serious people try it, I know weights work, but if you want to save money, push-ups are free. I know it would take most people a few months of daily enough to get to 60 or more push-ups each and everyday. But once you get there you already will notice a big different in your body.

• The Porkchop Express says:

@Josh_G: Try push up/side planks.

• GearheadGeek says:

@Josh_G: “I had been running only for years….”

So, you were probably thin, and wanted to build upper-body mass. The OP needed to LOSE weight, and was starting from nearly 350 lb and out of shape. I’m sure that working with a manageable amount of free-weights and/or machines was much more useful for him when he was starting out. I’m not suggesting that push-ups are a bad exercise or that they didn’t do great stuff for you, but it’s important to remember that not all situations are identical.

• katstermonster says:

@GearheadGeek: Agreed. And many people can’t do pushups from the get-go. Working up to pushups (or virtually any upper-body exercise) is much easier if you have a set of incremental free weights to help you.

• enm4r says:

@Josh_G: I think we might only be disagreeing on the extent. You’re not going to get buff on pushups. I’ve been doing pushups for years, as I have other fitness activities. I’m not disagreeing that they’re not great, they are. Certainly if you cannot do 60 that is a great goal to work up to.

But I’m a lean guy, sound like you might be too…there’s a limit to what pushups are going to do for you despite changes in position or elevating your feet. That’s all I’m saying. If you want to actally build mass beyond having a lean/toned upper body, you are going to need to lift some weights.

• Kd McEntire says:

@Josh_G: If you’ve read his blog (I have, he’s been on my RSS feed since the first time Consumerist posted about him) you’ll see that he primarily does cardio – as in a minimum of 45 minutes a day starting initially on the stationary bike. After a few weeks he graduated to the elliptical machine and worked his way up to the top resistance level. Now he runs on the treadmill and has started incorporating thrice weekly medium range weight-lifting in addition to playing basketball/some team sport on his day “off”. He posts a weekly breakdown of the calories consumed daily as well.

All in all, your advice is nice but probably not needed. He appears to have it under control without pushups.

• Truthie says:

@Josh_G:

There are a lot of exercises you can do in addition to push-ups to build your body without weights – pull-ups (ok you need a pull-up bar or to go to a park, but that’s not too much), crunches, lunges, squats, etc. Push-ups are good for your shoulders, triceps, and chest but don’t work out other muscle groups too much.

Also unless you are looking to add serious size, a set of adjustable weights is not too expensive and can really help you to do a variety of exercises.

Of course if you are looking to add significant muscle mass then either a gym membership or investing in a bench and a set of heavier weights makes sense.

Also – as important as how you do most of these exercises is the form you use. Doing a good push-up where you keep your back straight and go far enough up and down will give you far better results.

• ajlei says:

@Josh_G: I literally cannot do one single push up. Then again I have sticks for arms. But still, my family loves to make fun of me (they are all athletes, I am the “nerd”.)

16. gravion17 says:

MADNESS, MADNESS I SAY!!! eat less, exercise more…what is this world coming to?

17. GMFish says:

I lost 86 pounds in six months on a straight atkins diet. I gained it back within 12. The atkins is a great diet to get to your destination. However, it does nothing for you once you get there.

• BEERxTaco says:

@GMFish: Amen to that… I lost 50 with Atkins and gained back 100.

• satoru says:

@GMFish: Atkins and the South Beach diet are very popular amongst actors and entertainers. If you follow their regiment you can lose weight in a relatively short amount of time. This is good if you need to lose weight for a role. However it is almost impossible to maintain thus you inevitably rebound. Again actors only need to look good for the 1-2 months of shooting so long term maintenance isn’t an issue.

• Anonymous says:

@GMFish: I have to follow close to a South Beach diet due to a medical condition. It is doable long term but certainly isn’t for most people. My body just can’t process the carbs found in grains or starch very well. I have to eat a very high protein (lean!) diet to keep my energy up. Good thing I don’t like bread or it’d be a lot harder. I do eat some carbs, brown rice and buckwheat noodles.

Unfortunately I didn’t find out about my condition until well into adulthood. Now I’m stuck trying to loose the weight my body put on from not knowing how to eat. Luckily I like to cook and I haven’t had any trouble finding things to eat and keeping things interesting. I have not doubt I can stick to it.

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

@GMFish: That’s because people treat Low-carb/Atkins as a “diet” to lose weight then go back to the same old eating habits (2 double cheeseburgers/fries/coke every day, etc) that got them fat in the first place. Low carb/Atkins is a LIFESTYLE, not a diet. It requires a different mindset. And for that matter, NO “diet” will work if you go back to your old habits once you reach your goal weight. You have to be committed to sticking to it after you reach goal, and realizing that the lifestyle change made is what keeps you healthy. Some people simply can’t deal with that, they HAVE to have that bread/pasta/sugar. That’s their down fall if they choose the low-carb route.

• lpranal says:

@Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: the atkins “rebounders” never cease to amaze me. They go through a radical shift in diet (often without an accompanying increase in activity) and, once they hit their goal weight say “hey! I don’t need to worry about what i eat any more- i’m a skinny person now!” The thing is, outside of people with genetic disorders and other conditions, all of our bodies work the same- skinny, fat, average. Keep shoveling down carbs after your glycogen stores are full and maintain a caloric surplus, and you WILL gain fat, it’s simple science.

• DeeKey says:

@GMFish: My mother lost 30 lbs on Atkins and ended up with diabetes. Of course all she did was eat at restaurants with Atkins on the menu and gorge herself on Atkins bars, up to 5 a day. You can still cheat on a prescribed diet it seems. She has always had food issues and I have given up trying to help her change, she never will, and lies to herself and everyone else about her “diets”.

18. ganzhimself says:

I’ve done similar things in my life recently as well… I went to the doctor and found out I had Type-2 Diabeetus. Well, that caused an immediate and drastic change in my life, because I decided I do not want to deal with the complications later in life… 3 months later, I’ve lost 30+ pounds and my A1C count dropped from an extremely high 12.9 to 6.7. Seriously, just eating healthier and exercising moderately was all I needed to do. Every once in a while I have a cheat, but I do pay the price for it unless I exercise after eating something I really shouldn’t be eating. Anyway,way to go Tyler! I wish I had done the same thing BEFORE I had major health problems.

• Shamir Edoo says:

@ganzhimself: That is an impressive story. My family is genetically disposed to Type 2 (all my sisters have it and they are not considered overweight by BMI standards). I was recently diagnosed but I was not considered a risk factor for it. I have a very similar story in which 3 months My A1C went from 12.8 to 6.7 with minimal medicine. My wife is very supportive and we started an easier to manage program. It’s not really about losing weight as it is keeping my a1c in control. Our program was… simple as it may sound… getting a really energetic dog. We have to walk him about 3 to 4 miles every night to keep us sane. It keeps us active and keeps him happy. It’s not really thought of mentally as exercise so we easily do it every day. Congrats on getting your Type 2 under control! I haven’t changed my diet, just eat less of the foods I enjoy, grill a lot more, enjoy one burger a week and take in less carbs (but not cut them out, since you need them to keep your kidneys healthy). If you keep on the way you are you may be able to completely cut out any medication you may be taking. Good luck.

• ganzhimself says:

@Shamir Edoo:

Thanks… I’m on 500mg of Metformin, once daily and it’s doing its job. I don’t have much of an appetite, so that has helped greatly. I still suffer from some of the side effects of the Metformin once in a while… So, if I can get off of it completely by losing more weight (and keeping it off), that’s my goal.

• Shamir Edoo says:

@ganzhimself: I didn’t get any problems except once. Then I decided it was time to avoid anything that is too greasy, when I take it. The drug works wonders though.

19. Jimmy M says:

tyler and I are on the same journey – started around the same weight – and around the same time.

it’s unfortunate most of his blog seems to come from someone with a chip on their shoulder or a pessimistic voice. it used to be fun to read.

that being said, keep it up tyler.

• Joey_Brill says:

@Jimmy M:
      Give him time. I hit plateaus that tested my sanity at 187, 164, and 158 pounds. My no-white-food push had me at 154 pounds with ‘love handles’ that refused to leave.

Somebody finally pointed out that I didn’t have love handles – they were skin folds. I had turned into an twerpy argumentative spaz with weird veins below my navel trying to obtain something that wasn’t meant to be (without scarring surgery).

It’s five years later and I’ve crept up to 168. I’m over forty now and that shit refuses to budge without commitment – yeah, real food in smaller portions and exercise when I don’t feel like exercising.

Unspoken bonus to working out: feels like a valium 2.5 afterwards! Do it for the valium, Folks!

20. jp says:

I put my monitor and keyboard on top of a bar height table. 6-8 hours a day on PC means I stand, not sit. Burning calories while on the PC. Standing (instead of sitting) while at the PC. Try it.

• TheStateOnDVD2Day_GitEmSteveDave says:

@jp: I used an exercise ball ball instead of a chair. More motion to keep you upright and works the core.

• Skin Art Squared says:

@jp: Tried this a few years ago as my brilliant plan to combat boredom while working. All it did was frustrate me and make my feet hurt.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@jp: To save your back and feet, make sure you have a block that you can support one foot on. Also take a sit break when you take a sight break. These helped me work all day as a floor cashier when I was younger and in better trim… they’re essential for anyone who stands all day now.

• econobiker says:

@jp: Winston Churchill was also a stand up desk user and he liked to build stone walls so I figure he wasn’t too overweight especially back in that time.

Also get an anti-fatigue pad if you are standing on concrete such as in a slab foundation home or in a business building on concrete floor…

21. emona says:

Don’t forget to drink tons of water! A glass of water before dinner and you’ll eat much less. Every bullshit diet website and book says this, but it’s true. Water also kills cravings. ‘Hunger’ pangs may just be dehydration. Drink a glass of water, and they’ll go away.

22. Rectilinear Propagation says:

5 bucks says he still got shit from people about it.

• sophistiKate says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: Good call. Too many people think it’s OK to hate on the unhealthy (smokers and the overweight, mainly). You know, because what people already struggling to make good choices need is more blame, shame, and guilt.

23. Juliedr says:

I used this diet plan; Eat less, move more. What Tyler says to do. It works.

24. hi says:

:D good job!

25. MostlyHarmless says:

I see no “I have aides” jokes. Come on people, get your coffees on… we need to perform better than this.

• Gramin says:

@MostlyHarmless:

“I have aides” jokes? I’m confused… really confused…

• MostlyHarmless says:

@Gramin: South Park reference: [en.wikipedia.org]

Its a parody of the Jared guy from Subway ads.
        They reveal that he lost weight because of eating the turkey sub with no dressings and with the help of a personal trainer and a dietitian, who he calls his “aides”. Needless to say, since this is southpark, everyone thinks he is saying he has AIDS.

26. outlulz says:

I’ve started losing weight the same way. I’m only trying to get from 190 to 160 since I’m only a little overweight and I’m not in a horrible rush to do it. I’ve kept a food diary and started exercising 2-3 times a week for at least an hour. 3 weeks in and I’m down 10 pounds.

I’m convinced all these commercial diets are just scams because they’re so restricting you end up cheating and giving up in the end. I can cheat a few days a week because I know I have a buffer from eating better other days and from exercising that I can keep my average net caloric intake per day at the level I need to keep losing weight.

27. TouchMyMonkey says:

I started in mid-November last year at 254 lb. Yesterday, I weighed in at 225. I went from size 40 pants to size 36 pants. I am probably the only one at my office to have actually lost weight over the Christmas holidays. How did I manage to do this?

1. I stopped eating fast food. Period. No more cheezburgers, no more vending machine crap, no more Doritos. It’s Healthy Choice for lunch every day. If I need a snack, I have a bag of apples or a bunch of bananas near my desk.

2. I also got my wife to stop frying everything in grease and pouring salt all over it. How did I manage that? I simply refused to eat it, and complained loudly every time she tried to feed me something that wasn’t good for me. “Did you taste this?” “No.” “I didn’t think so. You probably put like a quarter cup of salt on this, right?” I was prepared for the ensuing shitstorm and wasn’t about to back down. As long as I have a left hand, I can endure the shitstorm as long as I need to.

3. I started going to the gym Monday through Friday for the first four months, then I dialed it back to three days a week because I was beating myself up going every day. I also have a sedentary job, and I agree 100% that deliberate exercise is not optional.

I have found that the eliptical trainer lets me burn tons of calories without banging the shit out of my bum ankle jogging. So here’s my workout, and it’s really simple:

Crunches
    Weights
    More crunches
    Eliptical for 30 minutes on the highest level I can stand. My iPod helps a lot with the ennui.

Total time, including changes of clothes, 55 minutes to an hour. The crunches are important – you aren’t going to lose the belly fat any faster, but you’ll tone your abs nicely, which makes you look less like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

• Princess Leela says:

@HurtsSoGood: Nice job … just one thing: Why are you apparently so incapable of cooking for yourself that berating your wife is a necessary part of your weight-loss regimen? Make your own dinner if you don’t like what she’s served you. Or better yet, cook for both of you … sounds like she would benefit from healthier meals too.

• sophistiKate says:

@HurtsSoGood: Yes. Emotionally abusing your wife is a great diet strategy. Thank you for sharing it.

• dham says:

@HurtsSoGood:

Sounds like your wife still has about 225 pounds of ungrateful husband to lose.

• mgy says:

@dham: Zing!

• Xay says:

@dham: Oh snap!

Seriously, I’m in the process of losing weight and my SO specializes in fried and/or fatty cuisine. So when he cooks, I eat a small portion and supplement with a salad or leftovers of something healthier that I cooked. Much better for my household than abusing my SO.

• TuffyBuffy says:

@HurtsSoGood: I totally get what you’re saying about limiting what your SO cooks for you.

My BF is trying to lose weight, so I’ve been put on a “Cooking Sabbatical” since Christmas. Yeah, it sucks that I don’t get to show off what a great cook I am (and I’m not one to load up on the grese and salt), but if I’m going to support what he’s trying to do, then I can deal. I’ve also started pre-portioning his snacks and even locking the pantry on occassion. If he can’t get to the food, he can’t eat it. It’s tough love from both of us, but it works.

• miv says:

@HurtsSoGood: yeah, since people’ve already said it, I’ll just put it a little nicer: changing the way that food is prepared at home is really important, but people might appreciate it more if you didn’t make it sound so abusive

28. Paul Jones says:

I lost 50+lbs last year with the same process – I tried diets and finally just refused them. I hit the gym 5 times a week and counted my calories. I was 265lbs, and dropped to 201lbs (never quite got under 200, dammit)

Getting my geek on – I used SparkPeople to track everything I ate. I used a Polar F11 heart rate monitor to track my calories burned and just started using RunKeeper on my iphone to log my miles ran. Numbers make me happy :)

Now I’ve just had a newborn baby, and the gym schedule is a little screwy, and I’ve put on about 10lbs I didn’t want (214lbs this AM) – so I’m finding things to do during the day – running at lunch and watching what I eat.

Diets don’t work.

• sophistiKate says:

@Paul Jones: Check out this month’s Wired. Their cover article is about how numbers help people lose weight (motivate them, not just organize them, which sounds like you).

29. allnitecp says:

I bet all this talk of weight loss is upsetting all the chubby chasers out there.

I have recently lost (very slowly through diet only) more than 40 LBs by cutting out all artificial sweetners and high fructose corn syrup from my diet. As a diabetic, I have found that using natural sugar (in moderation) does not cause my blood sugar to spike as high as HFCS. I don’t think the human body was designed to process the crap we put in it these days.

30. Hoss says:

Isn’t it amazing that a completely different person emerges when someone loses such a large amount?

Good for you Tyler — I wish you the best of luck!

• allnitecp says:

@Hoss: Too bad that too many times the person who emerges from a large amount of weight loss is a self-absorbed, narcissistic douche.

We will hope for the best with Tyler that this doesn’t happen to him. :)

31. Skin Art Squared says:

I’m grateful to be one of the Chosen Ones with the magical metabolism. I eat garbage 7 days a week: Pizza, hamburgers, tacos, chips, cheese, beers, you name it….. lots of salt, and lots of extra gravy…. don’t go to the gym, don’t run, don’t work out in any way…. sit in a chair all day at a computer, and yet have never been overweight in the slightest.

But I also recognize that this is not normal. It’s a gift.

32. scientisttz says:

This guy has it right. I followed the exact same plan and lost 70 pounds since last November. Down to 190 from 250.

33. satoru says:

I’ve been trying to exercise to lose a bit of weight. I’m 5’7″ and 190lbs. I figure I should be more in the 165-170 lbs range. Though I think my view is slightly tainted by the fact that every time I go back to Asia I feel like Jabba the Hutt in comparison to everyone else.

Somewhat disappointing that after 1 month of working out 5-6 times a week I haven’t lost any weight :( Though admittedly I’m only doing 20-30 minutes on the Wii EA Active. I’m trying to keep a positive and long term outlook on things. That’s still 20-30 minutes more than I was ever doing before on a regular basis, so I hope that by the end of the year I will see some better results.

• Princess Leela says:

@satoru: Yeah, I’m in the same boat … have gotten into an exercise routine and am snacking less, but the scale isn’t budging. I guess this is the point when folks like us have to realize that it’s time to step the workouts up to the next level …

I also am wondering about how hard-core of a workout one can get on the Wii Fit (though have never used one, so can’t really speak to that). Anyone else?

• satoru says:

@Princess Leela: I have both the Wii Fit and the EA Active. I tried the Wii Fit for awhile but since it’s not regimented I found it difficult to break a sweat. With the EA Active, they have pre-defined programs every day that you do, so I find that I exert myself much more. I suppose if you were more disciplined you could select the correct exercises to get a good workout on the Wii Fit. But this is discipline that I myself lack, so I find EA Active to be better in this regard.

However I do use the Wii Fit board to track my weight and BMI over time. So I use it as a high tech notepad! Also the EA Active does have some exercises that can use the Wii Fit board so it’s not a total loss.

One day I’m going to get my god forsaken Wii Fit avatar to not look like a pork dumpling whenever it weighs me! Curses to you Wii Fit! :P

• razremytuxbuddy says:

@satoru: @Princess Leela: I say don’t get discouraged if the scale isn’t budging at the moment. If your efforts have prevented the number on the scale from getting any bigger, you’ve accomplished Step 1. And, it is true that some weeks the number on the scale just doesn’t move, and you don’t feel any smaller, and your clothes feel tight again. But then in the next week or so, the scale starts rewarding you again, and you’ve shrunk a little more.

• satoru says:

@razremytuxbuddy: I agree that staying up beat about things is important. I’m trying to concentrate on the positives as you said, and just be glad that I’m doing exercise consistently and enjoying it in the process. I also need to be somewhat realistic. Though my Wii Fit seems to think otherwise, I don’t think I’m ‘obese’ but I definitely could stand to be a bit healthier.

• The Porkchop Express says:

@satoru: if you are putting on or adding muscle, you won’t see weight loss right away. Muscle is more dense.

I don’t know what activities they have on the EA “game” but it is possible that you are gaining muscle mass that may (like mine) be hidden by the ever persistent inches of insulation that are taking their sweet time to come off.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@You know what ole’ Jack Burton always says:

They’re maddeningly stubborn, aren’t they?

A friend of mine who skates and I were playing in my pool and we were talking about no matter how much we exercise, our legs will never be skinny because of skating. We’ll always have more muscle there and our butts will always stick out. At least our butts won’t be droopy!

• miv says:

@satoru: I’m probably still considered like 10lbs above ideal in the states, but ever since coming to Asia I’ve been going through some serious body image issues…lol? well, not really.

It’s too bad jogging here isn’t more common, and that the air is noticably worse here than back home. Not very valid excuses to not do anything, but it’s a lot easier to give up 10 minutes early on a treadmill here than to go ‘fsck it’ in the middle of a forest.

34. razremytuxbuddy says:

Tyler is awesome! And so are hurtsogood, outlulz and the others here who are getting with a fitness routine and sensible eating habits. I found this article and the comments very inspiring.

The other thing I would mention is how good you feel when you are getting into a fitness routine. I don’t just mean you feel good about what you are doing. You also just plain feel good all over. You EARNED those little muscle aches. With them, you also immediately feel better and carry yourself straighter when simply walking to the office from the car. You sleep better from day one of a fitness routine. Fitness is an amazing all around mood lifter.

35. r.hinojosa says:

I love this. Diets never work, or if they do they make you lethargic or unhealthy. Knowing what not to eat is very important. The rule of thumb for me is to eat real foods like meat, pork, fish, butter, lard, olive oil, whole milk, eggs, and tons of fruits and vegetables. Many people scoff at the sight of butter, lard or take off the chicken skin when they are in fact healthy fats. To absorb the vitamins in vegetables, you need to incorporate healthy fats into your diet. Try to ignore most vegetable oils, margarine and crisco because they contain trans-fats which are bad for your heart. Read Real Food by Nina Planck, it will open your eyes.

36. craptastico says:

Am I the only one that thinks he looks much happier fat?

37. Boatski says:

I started this same journey last year in August. I ate less, ate healthy, starting running/walking 5 days a week, and lifted a little bit at home 3 days a week. I did this for about 6 months and went from 275lb to 224lb. I got burnt out a little and stopped. I was doing it all on my own, which is pretty tough. Now, I’m back into it and have a dog to mess with, which while running.

38. ldnyc says:

I’ve lost 90lbs in the past 10 months, from a high of 284lbs. I went from a size 28 jeans to a size 16, 3x/4x tops to XL (the “girls” aren’t going anywhere so I’ll never be smaller than that on top). I’ve accomplished this using Weight Watchers Online (i’m not a meetings person; I don’t need a cheerleading squad to keep me motivated) and 5+ days a week at the gym where I do about an hour of cardio and 30-45 minutes of strength training. I still eat anything I want, just less of it. I’m rarely hungry and I feel terrific. It’d been about 15 years since I’d felt so good every day, so it’s a strange feeling to get used to. I’ve got about 40lbs to go before I reach my desired goal weight (the “normal” weight that I was in my teens and through my mid 20’s, before I started gaining 10lbs a year). To keep me on track now and to make greater strides in my strength training, I now work out with a trainer 3x a week, on top of what I already do on my own at the gym. Common sense and re-learning good eating habits and portion control (which is all WW really is) has worked for me and can work for everyone. It’s not a diet – it’s retraining your mind and your body so that you can continue living that lifestyle forever, rather than a quick fix just to squeeze into a dress.

39. Truthie says:

Way to go – it is hard to lose weight and 100lb is an accomplishment. Your commitment is commendable.

I should say two things though. One, it really is a good idea to lose no more than 1% of your body weight each week. In Tyler’s case that was about 3.5 pounds, which means he would be losing weight at a nice steady clip. Extremely rapid weight loss is not good for you and can actually precipitate several health issues.

Also, diets should not be about starving yourself but about making changes to your daily life that you will be able to live with for the long term. Portion control is the most important. Also important is having a good macronutrient balance (carbs vs fat vs protein). Eating things like bacon and butter in moderation will not only help you lose weight but will also significantly improve other important aspects of your health (like cholesterol and triglycerides).

The most important thing to remember is that it’s not just about losing the weight – it’s about making sustainable changes that will enable you to lose the weight and keep it off. Making changes you can live with for the long term, even if they mean you lose the weight a bit more slowly, will keep you healthier (and hopefully happier) years into the future.

I say this as someone who was obese from the time I was a child until I was 19. I made a lot of changes then and went from 230 pounds to 172 pounds and a 22 BMI. I’ve been able to keep it up for 12 years now and haven’t put any of the fat back on.

40. Anonymous says:

I applaud his efforts but I have to add what any experienced dieter knows. It aint the fall that gets ya, Its the sudden stop! I’ve lost >100lbs TWICE through an impossible level of vigilance similar to the guy above. The problem is that sooner or later you have to pay less than 100% attention to your regimen and your body has lots of neat tricks to get the weight back. This is not a cop-out, just ask the 99% of people who started with a bmi greater than 40 and were unable to keep their weight off for greater than 5 years. I’m bringing this up because while most mildly obese people should definitely use diet and workouts to control their weight, morbidly obese people should seek medical intervention. I had lap band surgery and its the smartest thing Ive ever done. If I were a betting man I’d bet that I’ll still be lean 3 years from now while our blogger is lamenting his 90lb bounce.

41. henrygates says:

I have the opposite problem. I can sit around eating cheesebugers, soda, steaks, potato chips, and weight gain shakes and I’ll lose weight.

42. montusama says:

I need to lose some weight I’m at 230.5lb. Damn I gained some weight guess its because I’m working less but I’m also consuming less soda. I’d say about 60-80 I should lose but at a certain point between that I would gain weight probably. (muscle weight that is)

• HogwartsAlum says:

@montusama:

Soda can pack on the pounds. My brother had a Mountain Dew habit and he porked up quite a bit. He cut way back on it and dropped a lot of weight. That stuff is just packed with calories, and he was drinking several 20-ouncers a day. :P

43. mrfr0g says:

Congratulations!!

44. JohnAllison says:

Smile Tyler! You’re doing a great job!

45. TaraMisu says:

Nice job Tyler, you’re an inspiration! And I’m a believer in “diets don’t work” because that’s not real life. Real life IS pizza and burgers… just eat less of them!

46. k8supergrover says:

Does anyone else think he’s kinda cute?

47. wkm001 says:

I have been following Tyler since he first appeared on Consumerist. I eat a lot more fruits and veggies and rarely eat anything fried. I lost 115 pounds in 7 months. Now I’m in the best shape of my life, and I played college sports.

48. Ubik2501 says:

Nice work! I went from about 280 during college to 225 now over a few different lifestyle changes, and right now I’m working on increasing muscle mass and losing some more body fat.

The biggest thing about eating is not to go on “crash” diets – you have to make a consistent lifestyle change, because if you go back to your old habits you’ll go back to the old weight with them too. I eat far healthier than I used to, and I’ve stopped drinking soda altogether – that alone made me lose 15 pounds almost right away. My main vice now is beer (since I’m a homebrewer and beer enthusiast), but I drink 1-2 beers per night and try not to overconsume. I still eat cheeseburgers, ice cream and other unhealthy foods, but in moderation. I feel like I’m far happier and healthier doing that than I would if I’d completely cut out indulging myself. The biggest factor for the college crowd: Cook for yourself! Eating out all the time is obscenely unhealthy, and you have a lot more control over what you’re putting in your body if you cook your own food.

I also lift weights at the gym 2-3 times per week, walk my dog a few miles every day, and ride my bicycle as much as I can, so staying active is an integral part of my lifestyle.

49. risottto says:

Wouldn’t it be much easier to just take ALLI and deal with constant oily bowels and the inability to control them?

50. Belarios says:

For working out at home, I’ve become a big fan of my $10 resistance band from SPRI. It can simulate all sorts of weight exercises with the door strap, and it is cheap and portable. I’m more likely to exercise each day if my gym is sitting there on the dresser when I wake up.

51. CopyPaste says:

In college I lost 110lbs in a year. Went from 275 to 165. I’m 180 now but thats cause I have an office job :-(

The guy is right, think about stuff before you do it. You can be perfectly happy and lose weight. Go out to eat once or twice, but dont supersize and then get right back on the horse.

People who say I love food, or beer or whatever. I got totally hammered in college, once a week. When my friends went to get burritos, I went, once or twice. Just dont do it all the time.

52. Spider Jerusalem says:

congratulations to him. Losing 100 lbs in 24 weeks is actually on the OK side of the spectrum (most experts will say that up to 2.5 lbs a week is healthy weight loss), and he’s lucky he was young when he attempted this. The young male body when more than 100 lbs overweight is actually really READY to lose weight, so it should peel off fairly quickly. What’s going to suck is this next 100 lbs, because his fat is converting into muscle and his body is going to want to hang onto this bit because it feel safe.

53. Dan W says:

1) Tyler’s site says he weighs 264 now – Tyler must be tall or carry weight well b/c I look more “overweight” and am only 230 – he looks like he is not that out of shape anymore at 264

2) Did anyone else notice that he looks really happy in all of his “fat” pictures and REALLY unhappy in his “skinny” pictures? Hmm…

• Spider Jerusalem says:

@Dan W: He does look rather studly for someone who still has an extra 60 – 100 lbs to go. But SUPER-srsly in his after pics. On the other hand, the numbers we assign to “attractive” and “unattractive” are completely arbitrarily understood by the majority of society. Proof? Listen to college-age guys talk about the boobs on various celebrities. “Wow! Look! Those must be DD’s!” “Um…those are like, B’s…”

54. balls187 says:

Great job. I’m essentially doing the same thing, but replace going to the gym with training for a marathon.

I will say, using a calorie counting app for the iphone is huge.

55. Adhominem says:

I’m trying to gain weight. If I don’t workout I lose weight. =( I’m 5’10” and I’m 155 pounds.

56. Conrad says:

He looks so sad.

• syzygy says:

@Conrad: Yeah, it’s funny – I truly applaud the guy, and hope to have similar results in a few months, but the first thing I thought when I read the headline and saw the pics was, “Dude looked happier when he was fat.”

57. jwm1314 says:

I was never “overweight”, but I had significant extra baggage and wasn’t happy with how I looked. I’ve lost 30 lbs in a year and have gained muscle. And I did the exact same thing. And while at my co-op I eat fast food every day! I just make sure to pick up a side salad and a smaller burger instead of a giant one with fries and coke. Portion control and exercise are magic.

I’m more energetic, feel better, more fit, and less like crap overall. It’s not hard and I didn’t spend any extra money on it, except for the iFitness application for my touch. Infact, from spending less on food due to portion control I’ve saved money! I spend no more than $3 at lunch now than the over $5 back when you ordered “value meals.”

58. ArcanaJ says:

“…which would require you to have a daily calorie deficit of 500 pounds.”

500 pounds? Per day? Really?

All joking aside, guys, pay me one of your teeny stipends and I will gladly be your new copy editor. This is getting ridiculous.

59. Caggeyder says:

Good for him, Tyler is definitely an inspiration for me to keep losing weight. I am a full time college student that also works part time. I find it really hard to make time to exercise. I found that if I stop eating at fast food places and spending a little more time at home cooking healthy (not necessarily expensive) meals, I feel alot better.
    My goal is to drop from 220 to 145, and now I feel a little more inspired and motivated to do it. :)

60. Fist-o™ says:

My stepfather is seriously wanting to lose weight, but he has knee problems that prevent him from running/biking. What activities can he do? This is important to me.

• Princess Leela says:

@Fist-oâ„¢: Swimming could be an option.

• Chris R says:

@Fist-oâ„¢: cross-trainers provide the walking movement without the stress to the knees from the constant stepping. Some places have a speed-skate machine, which is neat and changes up the pace a bit. Swimming and a Rowing machine are also possible options.

61. admiral_stabbin says:

I lost 45 pounds over a similar time period (~6 months) without the exercise part. I cut out soda and just started eating less.
    Then, the soda companies caught on…and started releasing crazy new things (e.g. Pepsi Throwback) that I had to try.

25 of those 45 pounds are back…but sometimes you have to do that for the cane. Cane sugar, that is. :-)

62. KStrike155 says:

Nice work bro! Keep it up!

63. kimmer939 says:

Congrats to him. If I were a dude, I could probably do the same thing. As it is, I’ve been working out with a personal trainer for 2 months doing cardio and strength training, eating 1,500 calories a day and I haven’t lost an ounce. Not one. It’s so much easier for men.

• Anonymous says:

@kimmer939: Don’t get discouraged. Women can do it. I’m doing it. In 5 weeks I’ve lost nearly 12lbs. I am working out with a personal trainer 3 times a week for an hour. I also go and do cardio the other 4 days a week, the eliptical for 35 mins. Not only have I lost weight but my body fat percentage is down nearly 6 percent. I actually eat less than calories. I’m eating about 1200 a day with a high quantity of good quality, lean protein. I take in very, very little fat, sugar (natural only), and carbs. And I love the food I eat! You can eat all sorts of flavorful, interesting foods still. I cook everything myself staying away from anything processed. Plus I have a health condition that makes it really hard for me to lose weight. Are you jumping rope during your training, doing steps? I find that weight training is not enough, you need to do polymetrics too. Good luck and don’t give up hope, we women can do it.

• miv says:

@kimmer939: don’t get discouraged (and don’t belittle his achievement)– stick with it!

64. bishophicks says:

I lost 35 pounds a few years ago using similar methods. Better yet, I have managed to keep it off without too much trouble. I took about 10 months to lose the weight. Not as dramatic as 100 pounds in 6 months, but I did go from a BMI of 33 to about 27 today and I feel much, much better.

Like Tyler, I knew a “diet” wouldn’t work. I still eat the same things I always did. I mostly just played around with portion sizes (I do a lot of cooking, so that was no problem). I might make myself a decadent burger, but it’s a 2oz patty served on a dinner roll, not a 1/3 pounder served on a bulkie. If we go out, I order something that will make good leftovers and eat half (literally pushing half the meal to the side of the plate). If we eat fast food, I order a kid’s meal. At no point in time did I feel deprived. I adopted a “I’ll have that next time” philosophy. If I had the big entree I’d skip dessert, telling myself that next time I can have dessert after a lighter entree or salad. I’ve got decades of eating multiple times per day ahead of me. If there’s something I want to eat, I’ll get to it – it’s just not a good idea to have it all today.

A funny thing happened after eating this way for a while: standard portion sizes for just about anyting look positively enormous to me – especially restaurant food. I don’t order burgers in a restaurant anymore – they don’t keep well and I am unable to finish them in one sitting.

My weight loss method, while similar to Tyler’s has a few differences, namely a little less exercise and a little more math. I have never been able to get my act together to the point where I’m exercising every day. About 3-4 times a week was the best I could ever do. The math part came from how I tracked my weight. I weighed myself every day and recorded it in a spreadsheet. Because your weight can bounce around, I used a 10-day moving average to smooth things out and allow me to see the weight coming off (or not) on a daily basis. My “true weight” on any given day was not what the scale told me that morning, but the average of what the scale told me for the last 10 weigh-ins. If you track it this way and your daily calorie deficit is about 500 calories, you will actually see your average weight drop by .14 pounds a day while your actual weigh-ins appear to be bouncing around like crazy.

Tracking daily really teaches you about your weaknesses. Mine were weekends and vacations (not a big surprise). Knowing this, I could make allowances (don’t eat out twice in the same weekend, plan vacation meals, figure out dinner plans before lunch in case you want to take it easy). After a while all this becomes second nature – I haven’t done the weight tracking thing for two years and my weight has been very stable.

This is what worked for me. I don’t expect it to work for everyone. Figure out your strengths and weaknesses, then come up with a way to eat less and exercise that uses your strengths while trying to avoid or at least acknowledging your weaknesses.

Good luck Tyler. This was a major accomplishment. I’d like nothing more than to hear a year from now that the weight is still off. Best of luck.

65. MrEvil says:

Good job Tyler. I haven’t lost as much weight as him, but I’m doing the same thing, increase my physical activity and decrease how much I eat. I’ve gone from my heaviest at 380lbs down to 290 in less than a year. Hopefully by my 26th Birthday I’ll be back to my highschool weight of 270.

What’s weird is EVERYBODY has noticed how much weight I’ve lost, my sister and mother were most shocked (since they don’t see me often). My best friend’s mom even made a comment when I was the best man at my friend’s wedding. She asked me when I was going to stop growing because I get taller everytime she sees me. I haven’t gotten any taller, just a little narrower.

66. evilhapposai says:

I am going to write the worlds shortest heath/diet book and make millions as apparently not too many people know about this miracle weight loss system. It will just have a single page and in the center will say “Eat less, move more”.

Congrats on losing, just hope more people actually try this rather than sitting on the sofa while choking down a hundred HoHo’s for a “light snack.”

67. TheAlarmist says:

This is a great story! But is he, can he possibly, does he dare, imply that he gained weight by simply eating a lot? Nice to see someone sticking to the common-sense approach of eating less and exercising.

68. JimK says:

I started at 384. Down to 250 now, and I hope to take that down to 180.

I eat *everything*. And drink beer. But I also burn a million bajillion calories a week by riding my bike and going to the gym and swimming.

Eat less than you burn. It’s a simple, easy formula that requires people to take responsibility and actually get off the couch. No wonder people don’t want to hear it. :)

69. savdavid says:

As soon as he stops working out the weight will start to return. As he ages it will quicken till he will be back to where he was in January or even larger. I mean, how long does he think he can do this?

• Princess Leela says:

@savdavid: Uhh, forever? That’s the point, isn’t it? You make exercise a permanent part of your life, you reap the benefits. Certainly you’re right that if he were to stop working out, he’d gain weight. But my guess is that he realizes this.

70. icantreplyright says:

I admittedly did not read any of the site. I did do a quick search and found no mention of McDonalds. Hear that fat people?

71. farmerjeanh says:

I lost 28 lbs in two weeks-but I was in ICU. Not much chance of marketing that diet either…

72. Urgleglurk says:

You’re right, Tyler! Keep it up!

That’s all I’ve been doing for the last 6 weeks. Results? I’ve lost about 15 pounds. I’m at 210 going for 190. My cholesterol fell from the low 200’s with drugs to the middle range of normal.

I go to the gym 5 days a week on a “two days on/one day off” schedule, one hour per session using lots of treadmill and elliptical time with occasional strength exercising on the machines. I read books while on the machines where practical.

I eat plenty of vegetables, fruit and salads. Normal, measured portion sizes otherwise. I drink flavored waters (diet) instead of sodas. Luckily for me, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth. I eat some carbs, but not like I used to. I’m finding that the more I turn down the “daily donut,” the easier it gets for me. I also have found that keeping myself active and busy helps take my mind off the diet. JP has a good idea, providing you make sure your arms and wrists are straight to prevent RSI’s.

For many of us, dieting and watching our calorie intake is a permanent lifestyle change. The benefits are undeniable. I hate exercising, but I hate being overweight and feeling vaguely ill more. Change is always hard – but if you don’t change, you don’t live and grow.

See you in the gym! :-)

P.S. If your dog is fat, you more than likely are, too! ;-)

73. groucho1062 says:

Good for you, Tyler – for doing it, and for sharing your story. Keep up the good work!
    One nitpicky point: At the end of the second paragraph, the post says “which would require you to have a daily calorie deficit of 500 pounds”. That should probably be “calories” instead of “pounds,” I’m thinking. Or you’ve got *really* high goals!

74. Anonymous says:

A year ago almost to the day, I was tipping the scales at 200 lbs. On my (diminutive) 5′ 4″ male frame, I was a certifiable fatass. I was active (ice hockey 1-2x a week, 120-minute tennis sessions 1x a week), but I estimate now that I was taking in almost 5000 calories a day. At the age of 21, I was developing chest pains and had bloody noses almost daily from the sharp increase in blood pressure.

After waking up to reality, I knew it was time for a change. I started small, substituting meal replacement bars for 1-2 meals per day, which cut my caloric intake to around 1700. Walking to classes during my senior year of college, more hockey, and discovering beach volleyball gave me a good boost of daily physical activity.

I started building upper-body muscle using the Iron Gym (because pull-up bars are a pain in the ass…this substitutes nicely…ignore stupid weekly claims about weight loss, the Iron Gym is perfect for what it is…a pull-up bar)

9 months later, I weighed in at 135 lbs, a total loss of 65 lbs. Ive gone up to 138 steady since then (April…it now being July)by virtue of keeping up with and occasionally intensifying my lifting regimen and laying off the calories. I’m STILL losing fat and gaining muscle. I’m buying all small and extra-small shirts. I’m a 29 waist down from 36.

It’s amazing what losing 33% of your body mass will do for your health. No more nosebleeds…BP is a steady 115/75. Resting heartrate is 55-60 bpm. Stamina in endurance sports (hockey, tennis) has increased more than I ever could have imagined. Attitude and self-confidence have completely turned around.

Good on ya, Tyler. The strategy more than works. It’s not just for weight loss, it’s the way to live well. “Nothing tastes as good as being fit and healthy feels.”

75. savdavid says:

and it will lighten your hair and cut it, too!!

76. springboks says:

This story has absolutely nothing to do with consumerism.

77. hamsangwich says:

Good for you buddy. I suspect you will eventually have to cut out the burgers/fries almost completely as the weight will be harder and harder to fall off. I hate excercising for the sake of excercise (I enjoy playing sports) and I’ve gone from 245 to 198 in 4 months just by eating very healthy. I’ve also discovered a lot of delicious healthy meals. I’m 6’3″ so I only have about 10-15 lbs to go to hit ideal weight.

78. parrotuya says:

A job well done!

79. alexwiley says:

He is really hot now. Thumbs up.

80. jesusofcool says:

Wow awesome for him! I’m a big fan of long distance hiking and biking but I’ve never really been able to get excited or motivated about any other form of exercise…I’ve got to find something to do this winter though.