Tweet URLs may be tiny, but they can also be dangerous Twitter and Facebook users clicking a condensed URL have more to fear than a surprise Lemon Party: a hacked micro-URL generator site last month demonstrates that with a little work, millions of links can be redirected to phishing or spam sites. [Consumer Reports Electronics]

Comments

1. lawnmowerdeth says:

Ok, the lemon party reference made me laugh.

DO NOT SEARCH FOR THAT!

2. 2DaysTillTheState_GitEmSteveDave says:

Finally, I can get more exposure for my website, and much like Jenni of JenniCam, get on Letterman and Diagnosis:Murder.

3. Jason McKay says:

There are also scripts via userscripts.org via Greasemonkey that lengthen and decode the short URLs when viewing online.

4. Andy Harrison says:

Some services have convenient ways of allowing you to preview urls first.

tinyurl allows you to turn on a cookie that automatically cause every url to be previewed before accessing it. [tinyurl.com]

[is.gd] allows you to append a ‘-’ dash character to the url to display a preview.

The methods for preview on other services aren’t as convenient, but most have the capability.

5. WorldHarmony says:

I used to google the shortened URL before visiting it, and sometimes the site it referred to would show up and I could decide whether it was worth visiting. I didn’t know about these preview services- much better than googling!

6. chiieddy says:

Tweetdeck has an option that will decode shrunken URLs before sending you off to them. I highly recommend using it if you use the program.

7. James Stafford Hawkins Jr. says:

Ironic…? Here’s the tweet for this article:

Tweet URLs may be tiny, but they can also … [] [tinyurl.com]

8. Wombatish says:

So that’s why Consumerist shortens links too, right? RIGHT?

But seriously. I always check the full URL before I click, and sites that shorten/mask them in any way are annoying to deal with.