Tauntaun Sleeping Bags Closer To Reality

For April Fools’ Day 2009, ThinkGeek launched a tauntaun sleeping bag as a fake-yet-awesome product. As everyone knows, pranks make the best market research, and now LA Weekly reports that they are going ahead with the product. Yes!

Shane Peterman, PR rep for ThinkGeek, shared the news:

We are definitely trying to make it in to an actual item to be sold ?on our site. As of right now, it’s still an “if,” but it’s turning in?to more of a “when.” Things are looking pretty good, we just don’t want ?to get too far ahead of ourselves. There’s certainly been enough of a?demand, both from customers and from those of us that work here. Right now, we’re aiming to have it available ?for the holidays, or at the latest, the 30th anniversary of The Empire ?Strikes Back next spring.

Don’t you want a sleeping bag that “simulates the warmth of a Tauntaun carcass”? Of course you do!

Don’t Joke About Tauntaun Sleeping Bags: Star Wars Fanatics Get Pissed [LA Weekly] (via Cinematical)

PREVIOUSLY:
Fake April Fools’ Day Product Sparks Demand For Real Version

Comments

1. Shadowfire says:

Glorious.

I just hope they don’t smell any worse on the inside…

2. geoffhazel says:

Cute! If I had little kids I’d want one.

3. DerangedRoleModel says:

I would hope for a Wookie one too.

4. zentex says:

in for one!

5. hydrargyrum says:

“Since we haven’t gotten to the production stage yet, it’s hard to say what the price will be, unfortunately. I think it’s safe to assume that the kids size will be at a lower cost than the adult size, that much I’m pretty sure of.”

There’s adult sizes!

6. peterto says:

Meh, they’ve done this before. The 8-Bit tie comes to mind:

[gizmodo.com]

• SetDipSwitchesTo_GitEmSteveDave says:

@peterto: But this is a little tougher than making a tie. This involves licensing.

• Ubik2501 says:

@SetDipSwitchesTo_GitEmSteveDave: They seem to have a habit of making one of their April Fool’s day products a reality each year. First the 8-Bit Tie, then the Soundtrack T-Shirt, and now – hopefully! – this. Interestingly enough, it seems to be a more difficult process each time – I’m sure the logistics of creating the soundtrack t-shirt were harder than making the 8-bit tie, and the licensing nightmares attached to the sleeping bag trump all of those many times over.

7. Willow01 says:

I still want one…

8. phrancis says:

They made a yoda backpack and an R2D2 trash can, why wouldn’t they make this too?

9. chiieddy says:

They instituted a sign up on their Taun taun bag page to get notified if they got the product into production shortly after 4/1. The biggest hurdle is licensing from Lucas.

10. meechybee says:

Yeah! Maybe squeezable bacon is next?!?

11. LeahReindeer says:

Great. April Fool’s Day has become Test Marketing Day.

12. SetDipSwitchesTo_GitEmSteveDave says:

Of course, next year, they will have to make Planet Hoth pajama sets, including goggles.

But I’m in for one, for the future Little SteveDave. Just have to make sure the ladies don’t see it so there will be one.

And on another vein, I hope other companies take note of this. Why? I own a king size bed. I don’t like “plain” sheets. I would but Star Wars sheets for my bed. For that matter, I would buy Under-roos as well. Maybe it’s the leak in the exhaust vent for my fireplace, or maybe it’s nostalgia, I don’t know. But I would wear under-roos if they made em.

13. ElizabethD says:

Did they custom-print that intestine liner fabric??? Wow.

Trying to imagine how much Lucasfilm or LucasArts or whatever will charge to license this.

• LoadStar says:

@ElizabethD: Given the amount that is showing on the pictured item (the original prototype), I’d guess that they only hand-inked what could be seen in the photo, rather than getting custom-printed fabric.

• non-entity says:

@ElizabethD: Photoshopped. I can tell by the pix… err, I mean, they came clean about the liner pattern during the initial furor. The liner was plain white. I’d been hoping it was some odd print that was available somewhere, but no.

There’s a flickr set of the actual construction: [www.flickr.com]

14. B* says:

I’m positive that every member of our family needs one.

15. techstar25 says:

They need to make it large enough for an adult – wait – make that an obese, geeky adult.

16. Ubik2501 says:

I know what my nephew is getting for either his first Christmas or his first birthday!

17. cmdrsass says:

I love the light saber zipper pull. The details really sell this one.

18. cash_da_pibble says:

they should rate the bag for sub-zero temps!
    *rimshot*

19. Snaptastic says:

I’m still waiting for Thinkgeek to make the caffeine inhaler that they featured a few years ago. I still remember the horrified looks on my coworkers’ faces as I tried to order 5 of them before realizing it was a joke.