Tired of Big Sunscreen profiting from your love of the outdoors? Instructables shows you how to make your own sunscreen, with a few fun ingredients and some safety equipment. Alternately, sunscreen-ify your favorite premade lotion by adding zinc oxide or titanium oxide. (Via Lifehacker)

Comments

1. Tian (www.tian.cc) says:

I’ll just use some river mud and it is cheap, thank you very much.

2. robdew2 says:

Let me guess, vinegar, lemon juice, and a dryer sheet?

3. MostlyHarmless says:

Seriously? “Big Sunscreen”? I dislike evil corps as much as anyone… but seriously?

• MostlyHarmless says:

@MostlyHarmless: (just so people know… i am just kidding.)

• Laura Northrup says:

@MostlyHarmless: So was I. ;) Though I’ve found that there’s probably someone out there opposed to Big Corporate Skincare.

• MostlyHarmless says:

@Laura Northrup: Indeed. I think there should be an eponymous law somewhere…

“Marvin’s Law” – “If it exists, theres a fringe group paranoid about it.”

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

@Laura Northrup: We totally buy baby sunscreen that’s anti-big-corporate-skincare as it’s supposed to be the only one gentle enough for baby skin that actually works. Though I’m sure it’s just a matter of time until they’re bought by Big Corporate Skincare, Inc. Not that we put sunblock on the baby, but I *have* it in the diaper bag just in case I ever forget the hat, blanket to block sun, and attached sunshade on all baby transport products. Because, yes, I am that paranoid about the sun.

• Alex Chasick says:

@Laura Northrup: I love this.

4. ZukeZuke says:

This seems foolish at best.

A ton of chemical research and UV exposure testing goes into developing the formulas for quality sunscreens. I happened to be reading a medical article on this very subject this week and there is quite a bit of complex formulation that has to go into keeping the -effective- UV-blocking ingredients chemically stable for any period of time.

Spending $8 on a tube of Neutrogena Helioplex sunscreen to avoid life-threatening melanoma skin cancer doesn’t seem unreasonable. Otherwise, try to limit unnecessary sun exposure ala sun-bathing.

C’mon, there’s cheap, and then there’s just plain stupid. Do the math.

• bohemian says:

@ZukeZuke: Please cite a source and statistics for this.

All the recipe is, is titanium or zinc in a carrier lotion, quite like the white stuff surfers and life guards use only diluted down more.

Having wasted too much money on sunblocks that did nothing I would give it a try.

• yasth says:

@ZukeZuke: Eh sunblock is a lot simpler if you don’t want it to be *completely* clear, and give up completely on the idea of water resistance (which rarely seems to work reliably anyways) or 8 hour running, and don’t care about shelf stableness.

5. HiPwr says:

Wear a hat.

6. LatherRinseRepeat says:

Just because you CAN make your own sunscreen, it doesn’t mean you SHOULD make your own. LOL.

7. Robert Synnott says:

AND THEN THEY ALL DIED OF SKIN CANCER. THE END.

Next week, we will be making our own insulin, out of twigs.