Red Robin Tipping Message Lost In Translation

Anyone who speaks multiple languages is used to rolling their eyes at bad and inadequate translations. There is probably a perfectly reasonable, non-bigoted explanation for the differing English and Spanish texts on this Red Robin receipt.

Chris happened to notice the variation on the receipts at a Red Robin in Arizona. He writes:

Turn your attention to the bottom of the receipt. In English, it says “Thanks for visiting RED ROBIN. Please Pay Your Server”. Underneath that, in Spanish, it says “Please Pay Your Server. Tip is not included.” I guess they’re insinuating that Mexicans don’t tip and have to be reminded to include a tip, whereas English speaking people are good tippers and are welcome at Red Robin any time. One might argue that perhaps tipping isn’t common in Mexico. However, tipping is just as prevalent and expected in Mexico as it is here, so that isn’t a valid argument.

Maybe the English message has been changed since the Spanish one was written, and the Spanish one just never changed. Or maybe I’m just grasping at reasonable, culturally-sensitive explanations for the disparity.

Comments

1. craigkay says:

Perhaps they should consider adding:

“Service non-compris” for our European visitors.

Or….Please pay cashier before dining, for those in the Deep South (e.g., Denny’s)

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@craigkay: I was trying to think of another restaurant that does that and all I can think of is Ryans.

• Ben King says:

@craigkay: Wait, you have to pay first at Denny’s in the deep south?

• fantomesq says:

@Ben King: Specific Denny’s in the deep south had a habit of charging black customers before seating them… even black attorneys, as it turns out… led to a high profile case that Denny’s lost.

• liz.lemonade says:

@Ben King: Nope. Never seen that in a Denny’s down here. (Though, from the looks of things upthread, we do get to be hit with “dumb hicks” stereotypes. Sigh.)

• theczardictates says:

@craigkay: Funny story about that. I was at a restaurant in Switzerland one time and the menu was in 6 languages (all 4 swiss languages, english and spanish.) It said “service included” in five of them… and “service not included” in English.

But I’m sure it was an honest mistake, and not an attempt to take advantage of the fact that the British habitually tip whereas continental europeans do not… ;-)

2. Darrone says:

Perhaps English readers know there is no tip? And those unable to read English may not be aware of this? Eh eh?? I think thats a good cover.

• Nick Wright says:

@Darrone: That’s a good question. Do they automatically add gratuity more in Mexico?

• Johann says:

@AbsurdHero: If you read English, you can read the whole receipt and realize it doesn’t say anything about a tip being included. You can’t do that if you can’t read English.

• Wrathernaut says:

@Johann: This is exactly what I took away from the receipt, and I applaud Red Robin’s efforts to make it clear to both whether or not tip was included.

3. SybilDisobedience says:

In some European cultures, tipping is not normal, as the gratuity is often rolled into the cost of the meal. I don’t know if this is common in Mexico or other Spanish-speaking countries too – does anyone know?

• xip says:

@SybilDisobedience:

That was my initial thought too.

• nakedscience says:

@SybilDisobedience: But the majority of our Spanish-speaking citizens here in Arizona are from Mexico.

• SybilDisobedience says:

@nakedscience: That’s why I was asking if the practice is common in Latin American countries like Mexico too, since I didn’t know.

• nakedscience says:

@SybilDisobedience:

…From the article. So, uh, yeah.

Also, Tucson is like, an hour from Mexico, so I am fairly positive that’s why they have it in Spanish as well.

• Michael Belisle says:

@nakedscience: Not only is Tucson an hour from Mexico, but it once was in Mexico. We paid good money for Tucson. Especially when you compare with what we paid Mexico for the rest of the southwest.

• SybilDisobedience says:

@nakedscience: Ah. Missed that in the article. Thanks.

• The Porkchop Express says:

@nakedscience: The only problem is that the writer may have been to a turisty part of mexico. the rest of mexico may be different.

I’m sure that isn’t at all the reason.

• Anonymous says:

@nakedscience: this is just not true. I dont care what the article says, i have family in both mexico and the states; and tipping is just not customary in mexico.

Maybe the author of this post asked someone who is mexican, or checked the internets for an answer. But as someone who is Mexican, people usually dont tip.

Additionallly, if you are planning a party, people will usually place the correct time on the invitation going out to non-mexicans, and a time an hour or two prior for mexicans…as they tend to arrive late for a variety of reasons (border holdups included)

• Galactica says:

@nakedscience: I’m in Tucson, and this is very prevalent here. You can’t go anywhere without reading or hearing things in Spanish. I called Food City (a grocery store), and the girl who answered didn’t speak a word of English.

• locakitty says:

@Galactica: Well, it’s Food City, usually located in heavy Latino sections of town. Although, they do have cheap produce and pretty good prices on their chorizo. Bonus if the tamale lady is out front.

• Damocles57 says:

@SybilDisobedience:
      In Brazil the tip is automatically added to the bill when you get it. Tipping extra is very rare.

Also, an interesting thing at many of the nicer restaurants I went to with groups of people, at the bottom of the bill the total price was divided by the number of adults in the group and often people would pay the average. Made sense too when multiple bottles of wine were ordered. No muss no fuss.

I asked and the theory is the same groups eat out often enough together that it averages out.

• Foodie92 says:

@SybilDisobedience: In Spain, tipping is not usually customary, though if the service is excellent, one might leave one euro.

4. MakinSense...ForOnce_GitEmSteveDave says:

Well, as far as I can figure, if the person is not able to read the receipt in the English it is written in, they will NOT know that the tip is not included, as the Spanish word for total, according to Google Translation is :Total, but the other words on the receipt don’t translate that easily.

5. WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

I noticed this at Red Robin the other day. It’s a good thing they put it there, I was totally going to dine-and-dash until I read it.

6. floraposte says:

At what level are these messages programmed? Are we sure it wasn’t just a server or server’s buddy trying to get away with a tip nudge under the eye of an Anglophone manager?

7. pdj79 says:

Sorry, but $8.49 for a regular cheeseburger is retarded. Its not like their burgers are that great, either. And unlimited baskets of fries are great…if they basket contained more than 20 fries and was refilled more than twice. Red Robin sucks!

• xdeliriumx says:

@pdj79: You bite your tongue.

• labeled says:

@pdj79: So, you went off-topic, I’m just following… You are wrong, and have clearly not had their cheeseburger topped with a fried egg.

• calquist says:

@pdj79: Sorry, but using the r-word makes your opinion totally worthless.

• nakedscience says:

@pdj79: This had what to do with this post?

• ludwigk says:

@pdj79: Heh, try moving to the west coast, where there are any number of restaurants and gourmet burger places where the ‘normal’ burgers range from $8-11. Of course, they server Niman and Prather Ranch beef, which partially explains the kicked up prices.

Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr’s “Six Dollar Burger” is like $5, and, hell, $6 doesn’t even get you a restaurant burger here!

• Rachacha says:

@pdj79: Sorry, I disagree. Sometimes you are just in the mood for a burger, and where I live I have yet to find a good “burger joint” so while there are better options available, I am not incluned to drive 9 hours to my favorite burger place.

Red Robin is one of the few restaurants that generally tries to place customer service at the front.
      1) Unlimited Fries – Sure not any huge expense, but their fries are yummy.
      2) 1 free refil on kids meals (if you have growing children, and the kids want more pizza, Mac & Cheese or a burger, ask the server and they will bring out another kids meal free of charge.
      3) I recently went to Red Robin and there was apparently a miscommunication between the hostess and the server as we kind of got forgotten about. A buss person noticed that we had been sitting there for a while and noticed that we looked like we were ready to order and came over and asked if we had been helped yet, took our drink order and found our server who came immediately over, apoligized, and took our food order. We were not upset, and had not actually been waiting that long (maybe 5 minutes). The manager came over, apoligized again, we said it was OK, no big deal. She volunteered to pick up our ENTIRE CHECK including any drinks or dessert that we wanted. We told her it was not necessary, but she insisted. It is difficult to find this type of service these days.

• tbax929 says:

@pdj79:
      Fail. I love Red Robin. If you can’t for $8 for a hamburger, then stick to what passes for meat at McD’s!

• Shadowman615 says:

@pdj79: Show me a comparable sit-down restaurant where you’re getting a decent hamburger + sides for substantially less than that.

By comparable I mean Red Robin is above the level of Denny’s or a diner, but still not quite cloth napkins.

• pdj79 says:

@Shadowman615: Sorry, but not a single person in here made a valid argument that excuses a restaurant for charging THAT much for their BASIC burger. They advertise this with unlimited fries, which you get even if you order a salad, so the price is for the burger alone, which isn’t that good unless you’re ordering one of their specialty burgers, which naturally cost MUCH more than this. This is why I DON’T go there anymore. Sub-par food (my burger was dry and tasteless…could have been an off night, but I got the Blackened Bayou burger…no excuse for that), atrocious service (as I said, unlimited basket of fries that amounted to roughly 40 fries total because our server only showed up twice during the meal…don’t get me started on not receiving any refills for my drink until I had to bother another server to get it), and a layout that makes about as much sense as antivirus software on a calculator.

Was “the r-word” a bad choice? Yeah, I’ll give you that. But it sums up how I feel. Offended? I apologize, but I still think its absolutely ridiculous to charge that much for their regular burger…its just not that great.

As for the 1 free refill on kids meals…yeah, that must be a local thing because my store doesn’t offer that. I have 2 children and they didn’t get anything but the promise of “all-you-can-eat” fries, and they failed at delivering that.

In the end, I don’t go to sit-down restaurants and compare the price of burgers, but I do know that Cracker Barrel’s burger had more flavor at $2 less. It has nothing to do with the price than the fact that this is their entry-level burger and its just south of $10. Even Outback has a cheaper burger…and that’s saying something.

And I’ll go off-topic if I want to…you don’t have to read it.

• Joeb5 says:

@Shadowman615:

[s126613707.onlinehome.us]

$4 big burgers with fires on mondays.

8. ARP says:

With the exception of the US and Canada, it’s not always clear if tip is included. So, I actually don’t see anything wrong with it. I can see how it might be viewed as insensitive, but I think that interpretation is too…well, sensitive.

• ChuckECheese says:

@ARP: It’s clear to Mexicans, in Mexico and out: They want a tip.

• Shoelace says:

@ARP: People coming from Mexico to the US may not know how tipping is handled in the US, so the message on the receipt may be to make sure they understand how it works here.

• Joe Reilly says:

@ARP: Agreed.

I wish they had this message elsewhere in the world. I was on business in the Netherlands and I did not know that gratuity was included and I ended up tipping 20 euros on top of the 20 that was already included in the bill. I only found out when I submitted the receipt to be reimbursed for the expense and was denied my additional $30 or so. Oh well, good night for that waiter!

9. wcnghj says:

This consumerist needs to stop $4 lemonade. Unless ‘lemonade’ is code for some alcoholic beverage, they paid way too much.

• Takkun says:

@wcnghj: That’s four dollars? You don’t put bourbon in it or nothin’?

• ChuckECheese says:

@wcnghj: Thank you for crying out against the insane greed of many chain restaurants. There are far too many $2-$4 nonalcoholic beverages on menus these days. You think they’d know that this sort of money-grabbing annoys their customers, but they don’t seem to care.

• zigziggityzoo says:

@wcnghj: The lemonade does include fresh fruit. And they have bottomless refills, and will even give you another one to go when you’re done eating.

As someone who is very thirsty during a meal, I see no problem with paying what amounts to $1 per glass for this very tasty berry-filled lemonade.

10. CreativeLinks says:

From Mexico.com:

Before you tip in restaurants, bars, and even snack bars in large hotels, check your tab and see if a service charge has already been added to the total. Service charges are quite common.

So, if it is common in Mexico for tipping to be included in the bill, then perhaps one should inform visiting Mexicans that a service charge HAS NOT been included.

• Real Cheese Flavor says:

@CreativeLinks: This makes sense to me.

I wonder how many people are going to ignore it and keep on posting.

• ChuckECheese says:

@CreativeLinks: Mexico.com is written by the travel industry for tourists. Their suggestions would apply to tourist traps/major hotels and the people who frequent them. For those who live, work and dine outside the resorts, tipping is customary.

• ludwigk says:

@CreativeLinks: This is similar in Italy (at least when I went 15 years ago, and based on what our guide told us). Tipping and service fees were rolled into the price, which is why it often is not the same as the sum of your food’s prices. They’re not trying to rip you off (or so we were told), its the way pricing is done there.

• The Porkchop Express says:

@ChuckECheese: How do we know this to be the case? unless you are a mexican from the non-tourist filled part of mexico…you don’t know what happens there.

• Joe Hass says:

@CreativeLinks: To validate this: during the DaimlerChrysler days, my brother worked at a nice restaurant that was a par 5 away from DC HQ in Auburn Hills. They would also put in German, Spanish and English “Gratuity not included” to cover this scenario. So yeppers: it’s just a heads up to non-American guests that they have to pony up the 20%.

• newfenoix says:

@CreativeLinks:
      This hasn’t been my experience in Cancun and Playa del Carmen.

11. Admiral_John says:

Is it possible that tipping isn’t a common practice in Mexico? I used to work as a sever at a restaurant in upstate New York that had quite a few Canadian customers that didn’t tip well, if at all, because I guess it’s not something that’s done much in Canada.

• cuchanu says:

@wchamilton: Tipping isn’t common in Mexico, or most of Latin America for that matter, unless there are a lot of tourists.

• Saltillopunk says:

@cuchanu: I resided in Mexico for 4 years, and the locations I went to all had tipping as a common aspect of dining out. However, the tip generally was a lot smaller (10%) as opposed to the U.S. (15 to 20%).

• tryingnotto says:

@cuchanu: Man! So i’d been tipping for nothin in my 26 years of existence here in Mexico. Ok, I’ve only tipped for the last ten or so but still. And I’m not from a touristy part.

• redskull says:

@wchamilton: No tipping in Canada? They’re looking more and more appealing all the time.

• shepd says:

@wchamilton:

Most Canadians (well, at least ones from Ontario for sure) tip “poorly” because we don’t have a special minimum wage for servers here. Servers get paid AT LEAST as much as the people working at your local fast food joint, bag boys, or any other job, often more.

Whereas, in the US, serving minimum wages are less than half minimum wage, and tips are expected to make up the difference.

US servers see tips as a real source of income. Canadian servers see them as a bonus.

Not many Canadians know that in the US the tips are the majority of the wages. US restaurants near the border would be prudent to find a covert way of explaining this to Canadians…

• Anonymous says:

@shepd: I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, but there is absolutely a ‘server’ wage in canada, at least in ontario.
        right now its 8.75 vs the 9.50 minimum, which is why tipping is MANDATORY.
        employers are legally allowed to charge food and liqour servers less because tips are expected.
        The general public needs to read ‘waiters rant’, although based in new york, is very very well written and describes where the money goes when you tip (or dont!)
        Bearing in mind servers have to portion out their tips at the end of the night to the kitchen staff, bartender, bussers, hosts and expeditors, tipping is a service that makes everyone more determined to work harder for you. And viceversa.

• annexw says:

@wchamilton:

Tipping is customary in Canada, but only at 10-15% as servers are paid minimum wage not servers wage as I think its called in the States.

12. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Maybe the English receipt printer message has been change since the Spanish one was written, and the Spanish one just never changed.

My first thought was that the error is that they meant for the English version to also say “Tip is not included”.

13. hypnotoad says:

It’s likely that that particular restaurant wanted a bilingual receipt but had no guidance from head office (or the franchise holder), and rather than paying a professional translation service they just asked a staffer. If this same staffer happened to be a server who had some tip-related grievance… You’d probably get this result. I doubt it’s systemic racism on the part of the company.

14. Free as in Rick says:

Hey Chris, not all spanish-speaking people in the United States are Mexicans. In fact, MOST spanish-speaking people here aren’t Mexicans. They are from a long list of many countries (including Mexico and the United States).

15. Bob Lu says:

In some region of the world, the tip, or “service fee” is usually included in the bill, sometimes included in the price of the food, or sometimes a fixed % of the food price is added to the bill. I know it is true in many Asian countries including China, Japan and Taiwan. I heard some Europe countries are like this too. Dunno about Mexico, tho.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@Bob Lu: There’s a restaurant near my job that includes the gratuity in the bill. It surprised me because I’d only ever seen the automatic gratuity thing happen with to go orders.

• Jennifer Pierce-Sablan says:

@Bob Lu: I used to work at a Hard Rock cafe in the pacific islands that catered mostly to Asian tourists and there was a 15% service fee added to every bill. It stated this on the check, the menu, and even on a small sign at every table, however the service fee went to the HRC and NOT to the server. We were told not to inform the guests of this. I think the only time I got tipped was when friends came to eat, which was rare.

16. sassenach says:

$3.99 for lemonade?

• labeled says:

@sassenach: My kids get that lemonade – it’s awesome, and they give refills. And kids always get refills.

Wish they’d do that for the mai tai’s.

17. chiieddy says:

The Red Robin in Tucson, AZ is just over an hour from the Mexican border. It’s not unthinkable Mexican citizens would be dining there.

However, Mexican culture is VERY tip based (Source: [www.mexperience.com]), so it’s MORE likely someone from Mexico would leave a tip.

• The Porkchop Express says:

@chiieddy: Last time I do this folks I promise. Website stuff is for tourists in places that probably differ from the rest of mexico.

The rest of Mexico may not have a standard of tipping.

• newfenoix says:

@Lo-Pan:
        I have been in northern Mexico, Yucatan and Mexico City and even in the “local” areas tipping was very expected.

• Lisa Cebrian says:

@chiieddy: well, not from my experience, but also in all those countries the gratuity is included on the bill. i don’t see the problem in saying ‘no tip included’ especially in arizona, where there are plenty of mexicans who probably don’t tip (since they assume it’s on the bill)

but oh do i love how all the people who took 2 years of spanish in high school come out and grammatically correct this stuff. believe me, it’s not lost in translation.

18. sanjsrik says:

This isn’t the only place where this gets lost. Ever read a box of quaker oats. In english they say use water to make oatmeal, in spanish they say use milk, interesting they know about cultural differences.

• theczardictates says:

@sanjsrik: Yay for cultural differences! I remember once getting a bilingual ad from Pacific Bell. The English side began “Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness…”. The Spanish side began “Life, liberty, the love of family…”. It was the most interesting thing I read that week.

19. veg-o-matic says:

This is an outrage!!
    I can’t believe it. I am so very offended.
    There are no words. I mean.. my god!

There is no ‘y’ in “incluida” !!!!!

Jesus.

• Baires says:

@veg-o-matic: Both the grammar and the syntax on the translation are terrible. It was obviously not proofread by a native speaker with any degree of education. I would bet it was written by a waiter or waitress with some high-school Spanish and a prejudice against his or her hispanic clients. In many places there’s a prejudice about african-americans not being good tippers. It wouldn’t surprise me if that extends to hispanics as well.

• JuantheGardener says:

@Baires: Yes, I agree, it is a bad translation. It actually comes out sounding a little rude as well, using “tu” instead of “su”.

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

@veg-o-matic: I’m outrages they have “Complete Subtotal” and “Subtotal” on the same receipted. Is there ever any need for an incomplete subtotal, or even making the distinction if they’re the same? And if they’re different, then it’s not really a subtotal (complete or otherwise), is it?

• gaywolverine says:

@Applekid:Actually if there were differing tax rates for say alcohol and non alcoholic beverages there would be a need for two sub totals.

• Charmander says:

@Applekid: Sure there’s a reason for an incomplete subtotal. It’s when a group of people decide to pay separately, after the order has been rung through as one single order. That way, each person can see their portion of the bill and know what they owe.

• shepd says:

@Applekid:

LOL, yes. You (normally) only need three totals on receipts:

Extended/line total (for multiples of the same item)
        subtotal/running total (for the carry total at the bottom of the page or to show total before taxes) and the actual total.

Although, I never actually see anyone use the words “extended” or “line” total anymore. I guess it’s old fashioned.

• Alys Brangwin says:

@veg-o-matic: Where are the accent marks?! I am so annoyed.

20. Trai_Dep says:

It’s a shame Red Robin doesn’t have a message in Old Grumpy Redneck Guy saying, “Since you’re at a restaurant and not your trailer, tip, you cheap bast*rd!”
    …Unsure of how the translation would work out, but I’d suspect it’d have fewer commas and the expletive probably wouldn’t be deleted.

21. sanjsrik says:

Anyone ever go to Target, the word used Elevator is Elevador, um, that’s NOT the word for Elevator unless you’re speaking Spanglish.

22. savdavid says:

Unfortunately, spanish-speaking people do NOT tip as well as English speakers and most don’t tip at all. I am just speaking from my experience only. Now, as far as receipts are concerned there should be no reference to tipping at all in any language, just a line labeled tip on the credit card receipt.

• nakedscience says:

@savdavid: What?! Yay, racism and stereotypes!

• AI says:

@nakedscience: Different cultures DO exist. It’s not racist to point that out. Canadians like hockey. There, I said it.

• aguacarbonica says:

@AirIntake:

No, but it is pretty racist to use anecdotal evidence to stereotype the behaviors of an ethnic group in order to justify your own biases. There, I said it.

• Ratty says:

@nakedscience: Language =/= race.

• AI says:

@Ratty: Exactly. 100% of people who speak Klingon are NOT Klingon. Seriously.

• aguacarbonica says:

@AirIntake:

If that’s the case, why lump them all together at all? 100% of Spanish-speaking people do not have the same culture. In fact, most of them don’t. What would it be about Spanish-speakers that would make them less likely to tip if they don’t all share the same culture? Yeah, nothing. Like I said, just euphemistic stereotyping.

• aguacarbonica says:

@Ratty:

Language =/= race, true. But in today’s “color-blind” politically correct society, “spanish-speaking” is just a euphemism for an ethnic qualifier.

23. kiltman says:

Tipping is more prevalent in Mexican society than it is here but the amount of tips is generally lower percentage wise. I always check with my wife(Mexican) when tipping down there. I, being a former server, find it amazing to tip 5-10% for good service.
    Of course in England, most pubs you don’t tip.
    Everyplace is different.

• Baires says:

@kiltman: In other countries people who make the lion’s share of their income through tips are not exempted from the minimum wage, so tips are usually a lesser percentage of the bill.

24. nocturnal99 says:

I don’t understand the concern. People who don’t speak English may not understand that among those various line items, none of them say “tip”. So they clarified.

25. Arphahat says:

As someone who works with needing to accommodate for multiple languages, it is easy for things to get out of sync. I could swear I recall Red Robin originally having the “please tip” message in English. I suspect someone altered the English phrase, but didn’t know to /bother to/want to pay for a translation. And, if you don’t understand the other languages yourself, you will just assume that it says the same thing. I doubt there is anything malicious here, just an oversight.

26. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

El Paso Texas is about 75% Hispanic – across all income demographics. Locals are lousy tippers, wait staff are exempt from minimum wage legislation and only get paid $2-3 hour.
    No disrespect is intended but older latino customers address waiters as “joven” (ho-ven)- meaning “boy”.

• mangochunks says:

@IfThenElvis: “joven” is used to address a waiter regardless of age.

• Baires says:

@IfThenElvis: “Joven” lacks the racist undertones that “boy” has (being what black slaves used to be called by their owners). It’s more like an elderly person calling someone “young man”.

• Cindy Cardona says:

@IfThenElvis:Garcon in french literally translates to boy so it’s not just spanish speakers. Joven is just a mannerism among Spanish speakers, and certainly does not intend to offend, and like Baires said it’s more akin to calling someone young man, or young lady.

• veg-o-matic says:

@IfThenElvis: see: Baires

It’s a normal part of polite conversation.

• Stephanie Myers says:

@IfThenElvis: As a just in case, another word that may be deemed offended by the English speaker: negro. In Cuba and Puerto Rico, people use negro/negra (meaning, black person, literally), to mean a term of affection… like, saying “honey”. But that’s only used usually between married couples (regardless of race).

27. redhelix says:

What about Spain? Anyone think of that?

28. Elcheecho says:

having worked in the restaurant business since the age of 15, some minorities consistently do not tip or only tip nominally.

discuss.

29. balthisar says:

Contrary to what the OP implies, there *are* restaurants in Mexico that include the “service” in the bill. They’re typically higher-end places, and they’re definitely not in the majority, but they do exist.

Here in Michigan at “Big Buck’s,” the bottom of the mostly-English receipt used to include the message about tipping in multiple languages, but not in English. It was a little more diplomatic (“it’s customary in the United States to tip 12% – 18%”), but it certainly was for the benefit of foreign tourists.

Even imaginging that 100% of Mexicans always tipped 100% of the time when in Mexico, how are they supposed to know that this is the strategy here in the States any more than we Americans are supposed to know whether or not to tip when in Burma?

30. mangochunks says:

Whoever wrote that really butchered the translation. It should state:

Por favor pague su mesero. Propina no esta incluida.

31. kylere says:

Much ado about nothing

32. Ratty says:

I’m sorry, but Spanish =/= Mexicans. You want to talk bigoted ignorance? THAT assertion that because of Spanish it means something about Mexicans certainly is.

33. snclfe says:

Maybe Arizona is seeing a lot of Spanish tourists…

…maybe… :)

34. Anonymous says:

So much ignorance about our neighbor to the South!

In Mexico you tip 5-10% at restaurants. Tipping is kind of an afterthought, and if service sucks, the food is bad, or you are in a hurry, leaving nothing is common. More and more restaurants are sneaking tips onto your bills.

I also disagree about Mexican culture being tip-oriented. Yeah, there are people everywhere who want you to pay for non-useful services (bathroom attendant, viene-viene), but you’re a sucker if you pay them. It’s more like begging/charity.

Anyways, I’m glad that at least two people picked up on the crappy Spanish on the receipt. I can’t really tell if the errors came from a very uneducated Spanish speaker or from an English speaker.

35. Skater009 says:

Red Robin – was great now they suck too big too fast and just wrong. Hey by the way until something changes . English is only thing that should be on the receipt. as we are in the United States ? right

36. potzertommy says:

My spanish is terrible, and I dont know what the spanish word for “gratuity” is… so if i was in a restaurant in mexico, i might be unable to tell if gratuity was one of the itemized entries on my bill. As such, I would appreciate being told that it was not included.

37. oneliketadow says:

My local favorite Mexican restaurant prints it in a similar way, I think it’s a cultural issue.

38. Anonymous says:

I worked at this exact Red Robin location as a server several years ago. I completely understand why they added this to the receipts (since I left) and think it’s a great idea. See, Tucson is a mere 45 minutes from the mexican border and there are many, many mexicans who visit that location. Virtually none of them tip. They stiff you. And since RR uses tip sharing, that means it actually costs the server money to serve these people since we have to pay a percent of the gross sales to the bus boys and expediters. Unfortunately I don’t think that small note is going to fix anything – they knew what they were doing. They were just cheap.

39. Cindy Cardona says:

Weird meats, funny music, side or rice – why are we splitting hairs?

40. Doreen DelPurgatorio says:

My husband is a bartender in a high-end NYC restaurant frequented by tourists (international as well as the flyover states). Spanish-speaking people always tip way better than English-speaking non-New Yorkers.

41. e.varden says:

Re: “Not required by law”…

Har! Check out Quebec’s Official Language Act where having signage in other than French is a finable offense. This despite Canada officially being a bi-lingual country! A bas, les grenouilles…

===
    (ALL product labels in Canada are required to present in both English and French.)

42. JGKojak says:

I hate having to pay my server at crap places like Red Robin. I’m all for paying my WAITER at class establishments, but I’d rather not have to flag down my server, wait 10 minutes for them to return while the kid fusses- just let me pay the cashier on the way out.

43. jp says:

I live near this mall. The parking structures are full of cars from Sonora, Mexico (license plates). Being only an hour from the border, these residence of Mexico come to this mall daily and fill their cars with their purchases then go back to Mexico. Being so many of their customers are from Mexico and some may not be accustomed to full US tipping customs, I don’t find a problem with this. When I used to go down to Nogalas, which is the border town here, some of the resturants there (La Roca to name one) would tell you on the menu when the tip was or was not included and it was written in Spanish and English.

44. mitchelwb says:

“I guess they’re insinuating that Mexicans don’t tip and have to be reminded to include a tip, whereas English speaking people are good tippers and are welcome at Red Robin any time.”

That’s one heck of a guess. Except your correlation is about as good as saying that mexicans like tacos and Americans wear black socks. Today’s ‘hunters and gatherers’ excel at finding these types of innocuous non-sequiters and trying to make them relevant to show that they are the defenders of humanity and therefore make themselves important.

45. dangermike says:

OP is racist. Everyone knows Mexicans tip well. It’s those dirty Puerto Ricans this receipt is directed toward.

46. jokono says:

What makes you think this was necessarily directed to Mexicans? Why not Guatemalans, or Puerto Ricans? Or, any other South American, non-Castillian speaking people?

Or, I suppose the better question is, why does this matter? Oooh look, Red Robin is so racist (actually, it would be languist) to print such a thing on their receipt!

PC alarmist dingbattery, I tells ya. Must be a slow news day.

• azsumrg1rl says:

@jokono: While you make a valid point, most Latinos in the Tucson area (and much of AZ) are of Mexican descent. I’ve known a handful of Puerto Ricans and Columbians in my 28 years here, but not many. While it’s never good to assume, I’d say it is a fair assumption here.

47. RB_Bhoy says:

i’m a far left, liberal, antifa, SHARP, but after doing my sentence as a casual diner server at 4 different restaurants in different cities, i must admit that minorities 8 out of 10 times do NOT tip, or tip decent (20% = well, 15% = decent, 10% = disrespectful, 5% = i should have spit in your food).

before you say anything, keep in mind i don’t live in BF alabama, i live in the NYC metro area, and while 15% used to be the norm 20 years ago, adjust that for 2009 inflation and make it 20%.

• Nicole Jordan says:

@RB_Bhoy: I’m a white girl (from BF Alabama, no less!) and I only tip 20% when I see excellent service. Maybe you were just a poor server.

• aguacarbonica says:

@RB_Bhoy:

I can’t believe you perceive 20% of service as just “well.” Most servers that I have had don’t even deserve a 20% tip but I usually give one anyway because I’m feeling good.

• Baires says:

@RB_Bhoy: Wouldn’t the tip be automatically adjusted for inflation by virtue of it being a percentage of the bill, which is itself subject to inflation?

48. TCinIowa says:

Anyone who’s ever worked as a waiter will tell you that Mexicans are not who need to be targeted with that message.

Unfortunately there isn’t a specific language for groups of little old ladies.

49. azsumrg1rl says:

Just another reason we should give Tucson back to Mexico. (I kid, I’m an ASU grad. Have to get the dig in whenever possible.)

Chances are this location got stiffed a few times. I’m not one to go PC on most people, but how hard would it have been to the same sentences in BOTH languages?

Had the OP wanted to prove a point (while being a bit of an a$$), he could’ve left a note instead of a tip. “It says in Spanish that tip is not included, but it doesn’t say that English. I’m an English speaker, so I guess tip is included for me. Thx, Ri!”

50. OneTrickPony says:

Someone who reads English can see that none of items included in the total reflect a tip. Someone who cannot read English will not have the same level of understanding of what is and is not already included on the bill.

51. coren says:

I’m not gonna page through 49 discussiosn to see if this was said…but there are a whole lot of people who aren’t Mexican who speak spanish. Even as a primary language. That assumption isn’t exactly a great one.

52. Nicole Jordan says:

I had a college job delivering pizzas, and I found that Mexicans were hands down the best tippers of any demographic. I can only imagine that this was because so many of them work for tips themselves. I never received less than $5 from one.

53. Michael Rochford says:

Maybe they have english only signage to that effect, and instead of spending money to replace all of the signs with translations, they just added that to the receipts…

54. nocturnaljames says:

Another case of americans being too damn sensitive to race. Who cares. Do you expect it to say exactly the same in every language? At least what it says in spanish makes sense, which is more than I can say for most corporate translations that are just plain wrong. If anything is wrong here, it should say “Tip Not Included” in english also.

55. MissPiss says:

They dont tip. I used to work at a Dennys in San Antonio, and on my server notebook, I had plastered on it “La propina no esta incluidad en la quenta!”. Just so I can remind myself everytime to let the visitors from Mexico know!

56. Lucky225 says:

Or maybe since the itimized receipt is english they’re just letting spanish speakers know the receipt doesn’t include a tip amount *rolls eyes*

57. pot_roast says:

Personally, I’m sick of seeing more and more things showing up in Spanish. Learn English, just like I had to learn Japanese when I lived in Japan.

58. ShariC says:

I think this is much ado about nothing. I live in Japan so I’m fully aware of information being offered in other languages that aren’t offered in the original Japanese. The reason some instructions only appear in the foreign language is that the locals almost certainly know such information already and don’t need to have it pointed out whereas people from other cultures need to be taught. This is because the people from other cultures are tourists in most cases, and not well-versed in local culture. That doesn’t mean some of us who have lived here awhile don’t know as well, but businesses aren’t targeting us. I can choose to be offended by this or I can choose to accept it at face value.

This has little to do with bigotry and everything to do with who may or may not need an education. If the conclusions about this receipt are correct, then Japan is chock full of culturally insensitive, bigoted signs and notes in English, Korean, and Chinese.

59. locakitty says:

More than likely, someone updated the receipt and either forgot to take it off the Spanish version OR forgot to put the English one back in.

I used to change a coupon type thing every once and a while and at one change, I forgot to put our phone number back on the receipt. Oops. Took me about a week to notice that.

60. komodork says:

Why do people give tip every time. Tipping is done for exceptional service but now its a common thing to just give your money away. They are getting paid to serve you because that’s their job!. I know that some places, if you don’t tip the person, they will ask why because it looks bad on their part.

I only give about 10% for normal service but if it exceptional, maybe more. Last time I left a 25cent tip because i had to ask the lady at least 5 times to get something. Why does she do when she sees the 25cent tip. SHE STARTS YELLING – NOT EVEN ONE DOLLAR TIP infront of everyone. I just walked out. Shows how greedy people are with money and that they are always expecting a great tip no matter how well they perform

61. EinhornIsAMan! says:

Mental note: Print same message in all languages to avoid long pointless discussions on Consumer blogs. Amount of life saved: 30 seconds

62. TheThirstMutilator says:

I think that maybe they might get asked that enough from their latino brethhren to justify placing it there?

63. slickdealer says:

They definitely need to add a line in German then. Something like “Due to the fact that your entire country doesn’t feel the need to tip when you come to the US, we have already added a 20% service fee.”

64. DjDynasty says:

As someone who works as a server. Mexicans never ever freaking tip, No matter how high, or low the check is. $1 that’s it. But maybe that’s because in every other freaking country in the world, servers actually get paid a real salary, and tips are what the intended purpose of rewarding exceptional service, not a way to keep labor costs down for employers by making the customers pay my salary. That being said, when I see a large table of blacks, or mexicans 6 or more, I give them the crappiest service possible. The reason? I work at a resturant that does not add gratuity to the checks for large parties.

One person out of the party leaves a $5.00 tip, as the rest say “oh, I gotta get change” and they never tip after getting change. Plus I gotta split that tip with another server because the resturant makes us share those large tables. $2.50 for a large group who stays for 3 hours? screw them. call me racist if you like. But some people shouldn’t be allowed to dine out. if you don’t want to tip your server, eat somewhere with a plastic tray, and food wrapped in paper.

65. Winteridge2 says:

I hope most people are like me: If you give me good food with good service at a reasonable price, I will reward (tip) the server. I do not need to be shamed into rewarding bad food or bad service automatically.

66. Bs Baldwin says:

Or it could be that we are really the only country that pays servers next to nothing and the customer has to directly pay the server’s pay.

67. synergy says:

Ugh. Not to mention that poor Spanish. It should’ve been either “paga tu mesero” or “pague su mesero.” Idiots.

68. I Love New Jersey says:

Thr shld b n Spnsh n t t ll.

• katieoh says:

@I Love New Jersey: oh no, not this bullshit.

• edwardso says:

@katieoh: right, Arizona has a large hispanic population, always has. Don’t like it, don’t go there.

• ARP says:

@katieoh: Red Robin is a private business and can put (almost) whatever it wants on its bills. Unless you’re a Native American, you weren’t the first one here and have no place to talk.

If you are a Native American from Jersey, I would like to meet you (especially if you have a heavy accent).

• ludwigk says:

@katieoh: I don’t really think its bullshit. It’s insensitive, but efficient. Look at Switzerland, a 1st world country, superpower, with 4 national languages. People from different parts of the country sometimes can’t speak to each other because they know no languages in common.

I mastered english, and can get by in French, German, Japanese, and Korean. I don’t think its too much to ask that immigrants learn english. Or they can learn german, and we should still get along.

• nakedscience says:

@ludwigk: It’s kind of insulting that people assume that immigrants aren’t trying to learn English. Please remember that learning another language is not easy. People always assume that, as soon as someone moves here, they should know the language perfectly. Most immigrants are learning the language (because it IS easier on them), but you can’t expect EVERY SINGLE person to be able to do it, especially the older folks.

• edwardso says:

@nakedscience: And English is an incredibly difficult language to learn.

• rwakelan says:

@edwardso: Not incredibly difficult. It’s somewhere in the middle. Most romantic languages are easy to learn. Germanic languages, including English, tend to be in the middle. And then we’re all topped by traditional Chinese, which has enough letters in its alphabet to dwarf the rest combined, it seems.

• Odiase says:

@rwakelan: Are you kidding? English is insanely difficult because of the many arbitrary grammar rules. Just think of all the grammatical mistakes you come across when engaging native English speakers. I feel for anyone who has to pick up English a secondary language.

• datafox says:

@rwakelan: Romance languages are lame for feminine and masculine, German is worse in that it adds neutral.

Chinese does not have an alphabet.

• nakedscience says:

@ludwigk: So what about the Puerto Rico?

• Galactica says:

@ludwigk: Did I really just read Switzerland and “superpower” in the same sentence?

• theczardictates says:

@ludwigk: Complete and utter rubbish. I’ve lived in France and Germany and worked frequently in Switzerland. Just about everybody, including the most blue-collar, high-school educated worker, is multilingual. They not only speak each others’ languages, many of them speak English too. And no, my experience isn’t biased by only meeting English speakers: I speak fluent french and a smattering of german, so don’t speak english when in Switzerland.

Only in America (and France) do some people seem to make a big deal out of imposing their own language on *other* people. Thank goodness that it’s only a minority of Americans.

• Darrone says:

@I Love New Jersey: Perhaps there should be no Mexico

/upped 1

• Gtmac says:

@I Love New Jersey: So you clearly don’t love all of NJ then, do you?

• Skankingmike says:

@I Love New Jersey: You do realize that over half our country at one time was owned by non English speaking people Spain, Mexico, France, and Russia. It was unreasonable to believe that all those territories would have converted to English.

Also we don’t have an official language, and on top of that, this is free market where if a business wants to put another language on their menu they can because it’s free to do so.

• Lucky225 says:

@Skankingmike:

This was at a Red Robins in Arizona, I beg you to click this link:

[www.azleg.gov]

Article 28, Section 2 of the Arizona Constitution reads:

“The official language of the state of Arizona is English.”

• oloranya says:

@Lucky225: And? Private business, they can do what they want. They’re simple being courteous to spanish speakers in the area.

• Lucky225 says:

@oloranya:

Oh but according to this post they’re not being courteous, damn those mexicans not tipping because they think it’s included in the receipt, damn them!

• Cant_stop_the_rock says:

@I Love New Jersey:
      4 million Puerto Ricans speak Spanish as their native language and are US citizens just like you.

• nakedscience says:

@I Love New Jersey: We don’t have an official language, you know. And isn’t this a free market? I love how everyone yells “FREE MARKET!” until crap like this comes up.

And exactly how does several languages on a receipt harm you? WHY does it bother you? It doesn’t affect you at all.

• Damocles57 says:

@nakedscience:
        Even in those areas that have official languages, it is often considered polite, prudent, expedient, and/or profitable to include notices or instructions in the language of any dominant groups that frequent businesses and services.

You will find Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc. in Seattle, Vancouver, SF, etc. Just because there may be an official language doesn’t mean you can’t include others, only that you don’t have to by law.

In my home state, there were a couple of restaurants years ago that had menus in English and Norsk for the older Norwegians who didn’t speak English despite living in Wisconsin for (at the time) 60+ years.

• Lucky225 says:

@nakedscience:

Article 28, Section 2 Arizona Constitution. The official language of the state of Arizona is English.

• takes_so_little says:

@Lucky225: So call the fucking cops and have them arrest the manager. ONCE AGAIN, a question no one has yet answered, what’s wrong with a little courtesy, a little consideration for your customers?

• Lucky225 says:

@takes_so_little:

That’s precisely my point tho, why is everyone bishing that the spanish version says ‘tip not included’, that IS in it’s SELF a courtesy, as the entire recipt besides that portion is in ENGLISH. What if they think the word TAX means tip or some lameness. Nothing required this business to put information in Spanish in the first place, and because they did, but added the language ‘tips not included’, suddenly the courtesy became an ‘insult’, I think if anything the English version might have once said that and the Spanish version didn’t get updated, and/or it was intentionally added so that Spanish speakers would know it’s not included since the entire other portion of the reciept is in English.

• takes_so_little says:

@I Love New Jersey: Why not? (Here’s your chance to give a reason that’s not jingoistic, xenophobic, or otherwise ignorant.)

• youbastid says:

@I Love New Jersey: People that complain about this kind of shit generally haven’t traveled to another country and noticed that nearly EVERY sign, map, and menu is translated to English.

• varro says:

@youbastid: And that even if they don’t have it in English, people will still understand you if you talk to them as if they were stupid and deaf.

• Baires says:

@I Love New Jersey: As an immigrant, I like it when a business goes above and beyond by providing me service in my native tongue. It’s a nice touch, and it makes me more likely to patronize their establishment in the future. Makes good business sense. Now, if in the process they also insult me by assuming I am less likely to leave a tip, it’s a whole different story.

Government services are another matter. There are situations in which it benefits society as a whole when certain information is provided in several languages, thus making sure that people with limited English proficiency (and there are many levels of this) thoroughly understand it. Driver’s manuals and emergency information are examples of this.

• Galactica says:

@Baires: I do too! But my native tongue is English.

• Baires says:

@Galactica: You’re in luck, then. English is widely spoken ’round these parts, you should have no trouble spending your hard earned money.

• cjones27 says:

@Baires: Still don’t understand why there are “VOTE AQUI” signs.

In order to vote, you must be a citizen. In order to be a citizen, you must display a proficiency in English.

It’s not even like we’re asking them to learn a lot – vote=vote, and “here” is one of the first words you’d learn.

And people wonder why we should require a photo ID for voting.

• theczardictates says:

@cjones27: “In order to be a citizen, you must display a proficiency in English.”

Not necessarily. There are exemptions, e.g. for people above a certain age.

But I can understand how harmed you are by having signs in spanish. I can see what a burden it is to you have to tolerate those signs.

Wait, no I can’t. Explain to me again why this bothers you?

• Baires says:

@cjones27: You’re right, that makes no sense. Another one: the instructions for emergency exit seating requirements in airplanes that say, in English only, that you need to understand English to sit there, and to let the flight attendant know if you don’t so they can reseat you.

• greenunicorns says:

@I Love New Jersey:

I COMPLETELY agree. Unlike the many comments here that automatically assume that you HATE spanish people, or you don’t think spanish people are willing to learn the language, or whatever biggoted assumptions were made, I am fundamentally opposed to multiple translations of a message in a single domain.

We don’t have an official language? We should. There is no benefit to having people speak different languages in a single jurisdiction, but there are countless detriments.

As a software engineer, I follow a fundamental rule, that you should NEVER have the same instruction written twice. Why? Because when you change the instruction, you then have to change it twice. Because a new person working on it will be less likely to change it in both places. Because it takes up twice the space. The SAME applies to this stupid receipt. The spanish words on the receipt take up extra paper and extra toner. They had to pay somebody to translate it. They have to pay somebody to maintain changes in translation.

Did you notice that there is an issue with the fact that something in spanish is not there in english? I wouldn’t be surprised if it used to say that in English but when they removed the English text, they didn’t remove the Spanish text because they couldn’t read it.

English is already a mess of German and French, etc… Why are we further confusing an already difficult-to-grasp language even more complexity?

The rule should be very easy for people to get, but they assume some form of prejudice and malice. One jurisdiction? One language.

There is no benefit to multiple languages in the world any way. A living language will gain the ideas and changes from all of its users as it grows. The only reason why you would need multiple languages is if the different languages enable you to say things in different ways in which they need to be said. But that is not the case.

Yes, language is a component of one’s culture, and losing your language means you lose your culture. So language homogenization is an enemy of the cultures whose languages it consumes. But you know what? It is nothing compared to the enemy that is time. In a few generations, your language and culture will barely resemble what you know so well today. Knowing that, there is no reason to cling to a language. Forget minority languages. And that includes English. If spanish speakers manage to overwhelm the globe with their language, then forget whatever today’s majority languages are in favor of the most ideal mechanism for communication. Anybody who says otherwise is fooling himself.

• takes_so_little says:

@greenunicorns: What the hell’s wrong with just being considerate to your clientele?

• mrgenius says:

@greenunicorns: Can you write your software programs in English? Maybe we should ditch English altogether and speak in binary.

• MostlyHarmless says:

@greenunicorns: Resistance is futile, eh?

• AliyaBabasaur says:

@greenunicorns: So the parts of the US where Spanish is the most common first language should make Spanish their official language and ignore the needs of their English speaking constituents?

• jokono says:

@greenunicorns: A little wordy, but a well-formed, intelligent argument. Well said.

• anduin says:

@greenunicorns:
        exactly, time will cure all things. If people want to hold on to their culture, they should because its inevitable that things will change. It may take 500 years but it will change.

• takes_so_little says:

@greenunicorns: What a bunch of horseshit. People are different, get used to it. The human race isn’t software, Dr. Spock, we’re highly illogical. Most decent people try, at least a little, to make life liveable for those around them. That’s all this is, a little decency, common courtesy, that’s it. Join the human race you uptight twat.

• oloranya says:

@takes_so_little:

^ This.

Well said. I hate people who get all up in arms about foreign languages on signs/menu’s/etc. I had a guy come into where I work a couple weeks ago and corner me and the poor new cashier I was training at a register for a good ten minutes ranting about there being spanish on the directory signs in the aisles of the store. He kept going on about how “mexicans are terrorists trying to take over America!”

• RandomZero says:

@greenunicorns: “Forget minority languages. And that includes English. If spanish speakers manage to overwhelm the globe with their language, then forget whatever today’s majority languages are in favor of the most ideal mechanism for communication. Anybody who says otherwise is fooling himself.”

So which dialect of Chinese are you fluent in?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a business deciding on their own to provide an extra service to their customers. If it means higher costs, well, that’s their call. (And you’re exaggerating those costs – when have you EVER seen a laser-printed receipt?)

• newfenoix says:

@I Love New Jersey: I agree

• arl84 says:

@I Love New Jersey: I totally agree. And no I’m not racist. I’m shocked at how many people not only instantly assumed that, but are throwing insults wildly about this topic.

This is not about racism, people! It’s about efficiency.
      One country, one language. Whatever language it ends up being.

Otherwise where do we draw the line? Maybe one day everything will be translated into 5 different languages?

• locakitty says:

@arl84: I just replied with this to I Love New Jersey, and I’ll explain the same to you. This is in Arizona. More than likely, this Red Robin is in a mall. Many people from the Mexican States of Sonora and Sinaloa come here to buy things from stores in the mall. Then they would like to have a meal.

So, I pose this. Should every American, before traveling to another country learn that language? Because I can tell you RIGHT NOW WITH 100% KNOWLEDGE that there many many Americans who visit Mexico who can’t pronounce “fajitas” properly, let alone ask for directions to the nearest bathroom or farmacia.

Shall we demonize them for not taking the time to learn the language?

• theczardictates says:

@arl84: Oh, please.

If it were about efficiency you’d be advocating for Spanish as the official language — it’s what people were speaking before the Anglos arrived, especially in the Soutwest (like Arizona). Or perhaps the most widely spoken First Nations language.

If it were about efficiency you’d be advocating to let the free market decide. After all, isn’t the free market all about efficient allocation of resources?

When somebody gets so intensely worked up about things that other people do and that don’t affect them in the slightest — how are you harmed by a company accommodating Spanish speakers? — and there’s no rational reason for their objections… well, then its natural that observers will wonder what their *real* motivation is. The only ones I can think of are xenophobia, or compensating for the inadequate feelings you get from knowing that a humble manual laborer speaks two languages and you only speak one.

It’s not about efficiency. It’s about reinforcing and sustaining the social superiority you mistakenly think you’re entitled to.

• RandomZero says:

@arl84: Hi there. I’m from Canada. We’re a country that has functioned perfectly well with two official languages, in addition to a Constitution which explicitly requires consideration for people of cultures where neither of them are spoken (up to and including a legal right to an interpreter in some cases), for the better part of two hundred years now.

Perhaps you’ve heard of us?

• varro says:

@I Love New Jersey: We will gladly change the menu for I <3 NJ – no more quesadillas – instead, they will be called “pancakey thingies with cheese.”

Salsa will be “illegal ketchup”.

• locakitty says:

@I Love New Jersey: Well, um, see, it’s Arizona. We are right next to the border. More than likely, this Red Robin is in a mall. There are many visitors from the states of Sonora and Sinaloa that come here to shop for a few things either because it’s cheaper, or hey, maybe they were just visiting family.

So, should they learn English because they are coming here to pick up a few items? Because, if that’s the case, then EVERY American tourist who visits another country should take the time to learn that country’s language. Right?

• Consumerist-Moderator-Roz says:

@I Love New Jersey: Let’s keep comments on topic, and not start a fight that doesn’t need to be started. Thanks.

69. grapedog says:

Well, I won’t be eating at Red Robin any time soon. Any company that continues to provide SPANISH(and only spanish) as a crutch to people who will not learn English won’t get my money.

70. riverstyxxx says:

9 Dollars for a burger with blue cheese dressing and 4 dollars for a drink? Pffft, this is why i dont tip. Ask your management to give you a cut of the check and leave me alone ;)

71. personnext says:

r hw bt th lgcl xplntn snc th Cnsmrst s bvsly t stpd:

n mst Ltn cntrs, tp s prt f srvc chrg nd s ncldd n th ttl bll. n th ntd Stts, tp s ddd. Hnc, t s rmndr tht th TTL ds nt ncld tp, s s cmmn n Ltn mrc.

Bt tht xplntn dsn’t st wll wth wbst wh wnts t blly vry cmpny t thr.

• Cindy Cardona says:

@personnext: I have spent approximately 6 years of my life in Colombia, and tipping was expected. Since you are clearly here to be a troll however, i’ll leave it at that.