Woman Hides Life Savings In Mattress, Mattress Taken To Dump By Helpful Daughter

A woman in Israel hid her life savings—she says nearly $1 million dollars—in her mattress. Her daughter bought her a new mattress as a surprise upgrade and threw it out. Dump employees are now searching on behalf of the family while security has been hired to keep out treasure hunters, but they don’t know which of the two city dumps it was taken to. We imagine it’s the one where the rats are all wearing tiny gold rings and toasting each other with little glasses of champagne.

The good thing about keeping your money in a bank is that it’s insured. If you’re not sure whether to trust the bank or credit union, look it up at Bankrate.com to see how it’s rated.

“Tel Aviv search for mattress containing $1M life savings” [CNN]
(Photo: oddsock and i’m george)

Comments

1. sickofthis says:

There was a Spongebob episode just like this. I hope the giant guard worm doesn’t hurt anyone.

2. AcceleratedDragon says:

OK that’s only slightly more embarrassing than having Madoff steal your million dollar fortune. At least at the dump, there’s a small chance you’ll find you missing fortune.

• U-235 says:

@AcceleratedDragon: I still think they should let the shafted investors beat him like a pinata to see if their money comes out.

• allnitecp says:

@U-235: UGH! I am so tired of the Madoff haters out there. Yes, he was a scumbag, but guess what? There are thousands of more like him out there doing the same thing everyday.

What I still don’t seem to understand is why people don’t see that most of these people would have lost the same amount in the latest “Market Adjustment” if they had just invested it in the Stock Market like everyone else.

I guess it’s all about having a face to go with your lack of good financial judgement.

• nakedscience says:

@allnitecp: “Yes, he was a scumbag, but guess what?”

The the hell, dude. Madoff is a scumbag — you even admit it yourself — and yet … you are defending him? Why? Were you his boyfriend?

• Trai_Dep says:

@allnitecp: …Wanna give me your life savings to invest? 8-11% return, guaranteed!

3. chrisexv6 says:

Great pic!

4. Copernicus42 says:

I don’t understand what this woman was thinking. There were obviously no exterior signs that the mattress contained anything so what if she got hit by a bus or something? The daughter would never know where her inheritance went and the million would be lost forever.

5. JollyJumjuck says:

It’s amazing how decades of effort and self-sacrifice can be undone in mere moments. Lady Luck is a cruel bitch.

6. tedyc03 says:

I’m calling shenanigans. She insisted that it was cash and shekels. Does anyone here realize the volume $1M USD takes up? In $1 bills it’d weigh just over a ton, and take up 39 cubic feet. In the best case, $100’s would occupy .39 cubic feet and weigh 20.4 pounds, but it’s unlikely that she had the optimal amount. Add in shekels, which are worth less than American currency, and I’m not buying the value reported. Not to mention the mattress had to, you know, have room for the coils and such.

Anyone wants to check my math: [wiki.answers.com]

• SupremeCourtNominee_GitEmSteveDave says:

@tedyc03: We have a call of Shenanigans! Please get your brooms while the call is investigate, thank you.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@tedyc03: I didn’t see anywhere in the article that mentions American dollars or shekels, just that she hid $1 million. Where are you getting the currency information?

• Radi0logy says:

@pecan 3.14159265: What, do you think it could have been a personal check?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Radi0logy: I’m not debating that she kept money inside her mattress, I’m just not seeing where the information about the specific currency came from. Shekels are coins – they weigh significantly more than dollar bills, but if they are in higher currencies ($2 shekel vs. $1 bill) the weight might not be so bad.

It’s understandable that the daughter wouldn’t suspect any increased weight…a queen sized mattress is extremely heavy, money or no money. Unless you haul mattresses every week, you’re not going to know precisely how much a mattress should weigh.

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

@pecan 3.14159265: MSNBC has the article on their site as well: “Over the years, Anat’s mother had stashed away American dollars and Israeli shekels in her mattress, and now Anat had thrown away her life savings.”

• korybing says:

@tedyc03: I thought the same. You’d think someone would notice a million dollars shoved into a mattress. Did the daughter just think it was extra-lumpy?

• picardia says:

@tedyc03: I suspect that the old woman (a) has some issues regarding security/money, and possibly anxiety as well and (b) does not have any solid idea how much money was in that mattress. She’s probably comforted herself for years by thinking that there’s about a million dollars in there; there’s no telling how much it really was, although I am guessing that after years of hoarding it could’ve been quite a lot.

• 12-Inch Idongivafuck Sandwich says:

@tedyc03: While your math may be right, have you ever actually seen $1 million? In straps of 100’s it barely fills a briefcase. That could easily be hidden in a mattress, especially an old, heavy mattress.

Realistically, if she was shoving bills in the mattress in wads of various amounts, it would be heavier due to a larger quantity of bills. But if it’s not obvious where the slits to shove the bills are, the mattress could quite easily be thrown away, filled with money.

We’ll see how this turns out I suppose…

• oneandone says:

@tedyc03: Shekels are availible in bills, so she might have had the larger NIS200 notes. My first thought was $100 bills, though, since they are not only easy to get in Israel (at just about any bank branch) but were also preferred back when Israel’s currency was very volatile. People in Russia and Eastern Europe used to have a fondness for $100 bills, and a lot of older Israelis are from that part of the world, so it may have been the woman’s standard investment practice.

Also, a lot of people outside of the U.S. don’t use mattresses with springs. If this was a foam type mattress, she could have been replacing the foam with bills.

7. mac-phisto says:

here’s hoping a homeless family found some comfort in its deluxe padding & found a way to finally move out from under the freeway.

8. HiPwr says:

The woman saves up another million dollars and tucks it away in her mattress, the daughter decides that the mattress is too lumpy and uncomfortable for her mother and throws it out, the mother saves up another million in the new mattress, the daughter can’t believe how uncomfortable her mother’s mattress is . . .

It’s a never ending cycle.

9. zibby says:

And to think, during the banking crisis she was probably all like, “Yeah, panic fools…my nut is safe and sound.”

Of course, this could be a brilliant prank to get hundreds of people walking around in garbage chasing nothing.

10. Where The Mild Things Are says:

I wonder if the security is provided by the publicly financed dumps (?) And if they’re having to compensate for having city employees hunt for their mattress.

(Mostly I’m just bitter and jealous because I think it would be super fun to hunt in a dump for a million-dollar mattress….)

11. thebluepill says:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say this has a bit more sinister plot..
    I am guessing the daughter found the “stash” of money in the mattress and concocted this as a way to steal the money from her mother.
    Its really convenient the mattress was replaced with a brand new one and the old one disappears completely..

12. chuckdaddy says:

i found the mattress! madoff’s been sleeping on it all this time in jail.

13. Unsolicited Advice says:

But we don’t need banks. Banks are evil!

14. BenderRodriguez says:

I prefer to skip the matress alltogether and sleep on “a big pile of money with many beautiful ladies.”

15. Hoss says:

If it’s really $1 million, it’s kind of stupid to tell the dump employees what you’re looking for. They probably found it on the first try and are buying vacation homes with cash.

16. brianary says:

In recent years, interest rates have been outpaced by inflation, so most deposit accounts have *lost* value. Makes you want to bury gold in the yard.

17. AustinTXProgrammer says:

Do we know it wasn’t left on the corner and collected by a scavenger? Someone may have just taken home a fortune!

18. Illusio26 says:

I have little sympathy for people who put money in coffee cans and mattress and then loose them. If you have that much money put at least SOME of it in a bank.

19. Cristy Zamora says:

When I read the article, it said that the daughter came out to find that the mattress had been taken by trash collectors.

No one has mentioned this yet, but there’s a good chance that a neighbor or needy person took the mattress if it was still in relatively good shape. It could be in the neighborhood, under her nose the entire time while they search the dump. I’m sure – I hope – she’s considered this possibility.

• SupremeCourtNominee_GitEmSteveDave says:

@Cristy Zamora: Do you know ANYONE who has taken a second hand mattress and not had some problems?

• eb0nyknight says:

@Cristy Zamora: I was about to mention this myself. I am surprised that no-one seems to be considering that the mattress never made it to the dump.

Have any of the trash workers recently quit?!?!?

• SupremeCourtNominee_GitEmSteveDave says:

@eb0nyknight: I believe the dumps take in over 2500 tons of trash a DAY. That’s a lot to pile on and things disappear quick.

• eb0nyknight says:

@SupremeCourtNominee_GitEmSteveDave: Yes, I understand that it “probably” is lost in the dump. But I think it odd that no one seems to acknowledge the “possibility” that it never made there in the first place.

I am sure they are actually investigating that angle, but I though it odd that it hasn’t been mentioned.

20. Anonymous says:

At least she claims that who ever finds the stash gets to keep 1/3, and another 1/3 will go to a childrens charity.
    And I don’t recall in the news interview that her daughter was involved, she claimed she herself forgot about they money when she replaced the mattress.

21. Ronin-Democrat says:

this is an opportunity for us all to talk to the old people in our lives and get details that matter.

like a poster pointed out, had this woman been hit by a bus or just died a natural death that mattress would have been thrown out.

So get your grands or parents to “trust” banks and document those collectables and tell you about accounts and MAKE A WILL.

22. misslisa says:

When my stepmother died, I went to the house, looked under her mattress (above the box springs), and found 45 bucks. Gave it to dad. (To clarify, they had separate beds).

When dad died, I looked under the mattress and under the bed as well. Found nearly $250 – amazingly, all of it coins.

But I never thought to look INSIDE the mattresses. Damn!

23. Quilt says:

“We imagine it’s the one where the rats are all wearing tiny gold rings and toasting each other with little glasses of champagne.”

Super cute!

24. IT-Chick says:

Mattress is definitely not the safest place to hide money, what about a fire or flood? It’s not just the good natured daughter you have to worry about. I keep several thousand dollars in a fire safe box instead.
    (I’m on the run)