Stop Buying Sleeping Pills and Fancy Pillows, Here Are Eight Free Ways to Sleep Better Stop washing down your late night Jumbo Slice with Red Bull and vodkas, and cut out the midnight web surfing, and you might feel a little more rested in the morning. [Consumer Reports Health]

Comments

1. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

Contra the not eating late at night, gut-bombing is a time-honored strategy for getting to sleep … eating a ton of warm carbs (like, say, pizza) and then wrapping up in a dark room. All the warm and digestion makes you sleepy.

It works great with little kids. Gut-bomb them, put them in a dark room in front of a Disney movie with the sound turned down low, and they’ll be out like a light in 20 minutes.

2. SupremeCourtNominee_GitEmSteveDave says:

I know exactly what gives me an excellent night sleep. It’s either being drunk, having someone else in the bed, or a mixture of the two.

3. nakedscience says:

“‚Ä¢ Pick a bed time (and a wake up time) and stick to it. Going to sleep at different times every night-10:00 p.m. one night and 1:00 a.m. the next-disrupts optimal sleep. Try to go to sleep at around the same time every night, even on the weekends. And wake up around the same time every day (with not more than an hour’s difference on the weekends). “

Hellz no. I have to be at work by 7am every day, sometimes 6:30. I am not getting up by 6am on weekends unless I have to.

• Kelly Lum says:

@nakedscience: I simply love these recommendations that invariably tell you to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day. I guess that works for my 55 year old parents. Me, I actually like to hang out with my friends past 10:30 PM on Friday evenings. As far as getting up at the same time every morning, I get up when my dog wakes me because he has to pee, and he really doesn’t grasp the concept of proper sleep hygiene.

4. Sir Winston Thriller says:

A very hot shower always makes me sleepy. Never fails.

5. Eilonwynn says:

Keep in mind that if you’ve still got issues after trying this stuff, *see your doctor*. Some people do have serious, serious sleep conditions that these tips just will not fix, and often times get told that they’re “just not trying hard enough.”

6. ShadowFalls says:

Late-night TV watching and surfing the web will stimulate you.

Not for me, helps me fall asleep.

As for the “light snack” a trick is to have some turkey and a glass of milk. It will go a long way to helping you sleep. You can substitute the milk for a cup of chamomile tea as well.

7. Ratty says:

You mean if I don’t want to drag ass out of bed every morning I shouldn’t be playing WoW and enjoying Mountain Dew and Cheetos until 2:30 AM? Maaaaaaaaan. I would have never thought.

8. JulesNoctambule says:

My husband’s a massage therapist, so I get a massage every night before we go to bed. Anything that works better than that probably requires a prescription!

9. 6502programmer says:

Link is busted, so I can’t see the list, but if it doesn’t include orgasm, then prudishness won out over utility.

10. MostlyHarmless says:

“…and cut out the midnight web surfing…”

Yeeeaaah Riiight.

11. Kelly Lum says:

So no TV or computer right before bedtime. No exercise several hours before bedtime. I’ve also heard reading is out, because that can also be too stimulating. So what, exactly, am I supposed to do before bed, stare at a wall?

• spanky says:

@Kelly Lum: I used to take my mother’s old decorating magazines and read those before I went to sleep. They’re very mildly pleasant, pretty boring, and they’re not likely to get me worked up–either angry or excited–like other things might.

Oh, that’s a good paint color. Hmm. A transom. Maybe I should get a chair like that someday…zzzzzzzzzz

So yeah. It’s like staring at a wall, except it’s actually pictures of other people’s walls.

12. H3ion says:

Or you can put a brick in your pillowcase and fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow.

13. howie_in_az says:

I have to take 3mg of melatonin to get to sleep (and stay asleep). I’ve been doing this for years.

I’m an addict.

14. thesadtomato says:

Recently started biking for about two hours every evening and even without the four hours between exercise and sleep I definitely have had amazingly good, restful nights.