What will the post-bankruptcy Chrysler mean for us, the car-buying public? Consumer Reports Cars has the info, including repair and warranty information, and a preview of the new models to come from Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Fiat. One highlight is the teeny subcompact Fiat 500. [Consumer Reports Cars]

Comments

1. Canino says:

One highlight is the teeny subcompact Fiat 500.

I’ll buy one if it can tow a bass boat.

2. xmarc says:

This whole Chrysler Fiat thing reminds me on when HP brought Compaq

3. HiPwr says:

Consumer Reports calls it “hip” and “retro”. That’s enough for me, I have to have one now.

4. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

omg, WANT on that little 500. With a backseat!

5. H3ion says:

When Fiats were last sold in the US, their reputation was horrible. Probably the only cars with worse repair records were the Renaults. I know Fiat is popular in Europe. Does anyone know whether they’ve improved their quality?

• Laura Northrup says:

@H3ion: Better than Chrysler, apparently. [www.which.co.uk]

• Snarkysnake says:

@H3ion:

“Does anyone know whether they’ve improved their quality? “

Ummm…Yes ,they have. They recently ranked 35th (of 38) makes studied in Europe. Chrysler was 38th. So they have improved significantly .They used to be 37th.

The Fiat Cinquocento is cute . But that’s it. Cute sells cars to high school senior girls. If the two companies can’t come up with a bread and butter car that sells to the 60% of the market that wants mainstream transportation , they are both doomed. Chrysler severely damaged Daimler and they were far stronger that Fiat. If the combined company can’t pull a winner out of its ass real quick, it will join Hudson , Willys , Packard and Kaiser Frazer in the great junkyard of the hereafter.

• Trai_Dep says:

@H3ion: Because what Detroit was producing in the ’70s is quite the quality benchmark.

6. SafetyMachete_GitEmSteveDave says:

I want to know what the bankruptcy of Chrysler means to us, the new owners of GM.

7. ct_price says:

I have family in Italia who drives Lancia which is a Fiat brand. They are exceptionally good and last a long time if properly maintained. Plus some of the models are hot.

• Trai_Dep says:

@ct_price: OMG, I had a Lancia! Just for fun, I took it to 60mph in second gear and it barely broke a sweat. And seeing another Lancia driver was a celebration usually reserved for druidists partying over the full moon appearing twice in the same month.
      Good times.

8. Jesse says:

Chrysler should have gone out of business in the 70′s. This only delays the inevitable.

9. joel. says:

The Fiat 500 is what I’ve been dreaming about for months. I CAN’T WAIT.