The Rockstar Energy Drink/Michael Savage Connection

Look, another update! I think I misinterpreted the point of the legal threats yesterday when I wrote this post. As Savage listeners point out in the comments below, Michael Savage has never hidden the fact that his son is the CEO of Rockstar Energy Drink. The legal threats seem to be against people who are claiming that Michael Savage is directly involved in the company, which he is not. And no, there’s no behind-the-scenes shenanigans at work here making me post this; I just feel I need to clarify it after reading the comments.

Original Post:

“Rockstar Energy Drink Doesn’t Want Consumers To Know About Connection To Shock Jock Michael Savage”

Did you know ultra-conservative talk radio guy Michael Savage has intimate family connections to Rockstar Energy Drink? If lawyers for the company have their way, you wouldn’t, because over the past week they’ve started going after people who have publicized the connection. They managed to get one guy’s “Boycott Rockstar” facebook account closed without warning, and threatened him with a business libel lawsuit if he didn’t publicly apologize. A gay news website, gaywired.com, has had to publish a partial retraction. None of this changes the fact that Michael Savage’s son is listed as the founder and CEO of Rockstar, or that Michael Savage’s wife is listed as the director, treasurer, and secretary of both Rockstar and Savage Productions. Or that both companies share the same address.

For those who don’t know who he is, Michael Savage—whose real last name is Weiner—is a shock jock who likes to make outrageous statements about, among other things, gays and immigrants. Specifically, he doesn’t like either of those groups, and occasionally pops up in the media for (real examples) telling a gay caller to get AIDS and die and calling for the banning of all Muslim immigration to the U.S. He’s also a bestselling writer who’s written several books on herbalism and homeopathy, which is certainly in the same sphere of expertise as formulating an herb-laden energy drink. Who knows, maybe his son read his dad’s books in private.

We’re not calling for a boycott of Rockstar Energy Drink—personally, I think Savage is a giant colostomy bag of a man, but I don’t buy energy drinks in the first place—but we think companies owe their consumers a fair amount of transparency when it comes to who’s behind a product, or where the profits are going. Imagine buying your favorite ketchup and assuming it’s politically meaningless, and then finding out Michael Moore rakes in cash from it. Yes, Michael Moore. How’s that ketchup taste now?

Anyway, so now you know. Michael Savage officially has nothing to do with Rockstar Energy Drink. His son, his wife, and his address are all participants, however.

Update: Seriously, some of you guys see anything political as an opportunity to haul out the partisan make-up kits and clown yourselves up. This is important to consumers because of the political views involved, sure, but there’s a bigger issue, which I made explicit above: transparency is necessary. It’s unfair to hide political affiliations from consumers when the product is something that otherwise would appear politically inert. It doesn’t matter where it falls in the spectrum of political discourse.

If knowing that Michael Savage may have something to do with Rockstar Energy Drink makes you want to buy it more, congratulations. You’re now an informed consumer and making a choice in full view of the relevant details, which is far more important to me than the deliberately provocative statements of a radio personality.

“Don’t Drink Hate. BOYCOTT ROCKSTAR* my apology” [Facebook] (Thanks to Kim!)
“Rockstar Demands Retraction from Gaywired” [GayWired.com]

Comments

1. Megalomania says:

His house has been masterminding the whole operation.

2. ARP says:

Can’t say this is surprising, their target markets are about the same. Well, Rockstar has slightly more meth-heads.

3. BigFoot_Pete says:

How is this a secret? He has said so much on his own program.

• henwy says:

@BigFoot_Pete:

Because people are stupid I’d imagine.

• IronCrow says:

@BigFoot_Pete: Because most people cannot stand to listen to his vitriol long enough to find out that there is such a connection. So many know who he is and generally what he stands for but have no idea there is a strong connection, and that they may well be supporting someone of this ilk.

• Megalomania says:

@BigFoot_Pete: No one would listen to his program except people who like him and they would be more likely to buy a drink that he’s affiliated with.

However, I would guess this is more about some libel that was in the same statement than anything mentioning the connection.

4. Canino says:

Michael Moore brand ketchup contains three times the lard of regular ketchup.

• dohtem says:

@Canino: And twice the guilt.

• dingdang says:

@Canino: Get it? It’s because he’s fat! Har.

• aduzik says:

@Canino: So, let’s see: three times zero is… carry the seven… zero. That joke doesn’t work on so many levels.

• WraithSama says:

@Canino:
      Your joke, on the other hand, I did like. Poking fun at Michael Moore is always time well-spent.

• LanLOLa says:

@WraithSama: I’m pretty sure poking fun at obese hairy guys in windbreakers is universally funny.

• Trai_Dep says:

@LanLOLa: Unless it’s Rush, in which case it’s picking on the poor guy… Driving him to send his maid out to score thousands of tabs of hillbilly heroin, even! UnFAIR!
          PS: guys, dare you to go to Moore’s site and disprove the many, MANY citations that he gives that support his various arguments. “Disproved” in the normal, thinking sense: reputable sources of information, that is.
          Alternately, go to any of the Right Wing blowhards sites and see if you can find any reputable cites for their data.
          Go ahead, I’ll wait…

5. allstarecho says:

It was nice to read a couple of weeks back that he’s been banned from traveling to the UK because of his hate-speech. He is a douche bag.

• henwy says:

@allstarecho:

I’m sure he was heartbroken about it. Next thing you know, denmark might follow suit and then what will he do? OH THE HUMANITY! NOT DENMARK!

• Galactica says:

@allstarecho: If by “hate speech” you mean “abiding by our country’s laws” then, yeah.

• sonneillon says:

@Galactica: Our countries laws allow us to be as hateful and racist as we want to be. Luckily that’s still not a crime. Slippery slope if we go down that path.

• Trai_Dep says:

@sonneillon: Sure, it’s no crime. But actions have consequences.
          So he can’t really go whining like a flabby b*tch about how unfair it is that people think he’s a pathetic worm or – horrors – making informed, free market-y decisions based on that.
          Of course, he thinks free speech only applies to him, not to people he disagrees with (you don’t see his foes trying to sue him, for instance).
          Thought experiment: Would Savage be able to sue like a Mad Hatter on meth if “tort reform” passed?

• nycaviation says:

@Trai_Dep: If his foes were stating things that are factually incorrect, and it seems they may have been nothing more than circumstantial speculation, then he is completely within his rights to threaten legal action.

• Trai_Dep says:

@nycaviation: So Ruth Madoff should be able to keep whatever cash she has because she has no official, professional relationship with her husband?

• henwy says:

@Trai_Dep:

WTF are you gibbering about now? As a married couple, they share assets unless the funds were purposely segregated. If she had her own funds from sources outside of her husband, then of course they shouldn’t be seized. Why the fuck would they be? If your wife robbed a bank, you might lose any assets you had in common (such as a house) but they couldn’t garnish your wages for it.

• Trai_Dep says:

@henwy: Ruth’s claims are similar to Colostomy Bag’s: reams of smoke streaming out, yet the “victim” claiming there’s no fire. RTFA and with a straight face, tell me there’s no connection. Well, one that only a corporate lawyer armed with a stack of legalese would argue doesn’t exist.
                  Dude, don’t get me wrong: buy from the I Hope You DIE of AIDS Guy, more power to ya. I’d applaud your choice the same as if you bought a Jim Phelps watch that had God Hates Fags! across the face. But you can’t reasonably put down others for having an opposite reaction. If you do, then you hate the magic of the marketplace.
                  Then again, as backwards piece of hillbilly trash Phelps is, you know what? He wouldn’t hide behind corporate lawyers trying to hide his links, nor would he be suing people pointing out the truth.
                  So, yay (?!!) Jim Phelps?

• sonneillon says:

@nycaviation: Although if it’s an opinion based on circumstantial speculation they are in the clear.

• nycaviation says:

@allstarecho: It was completely bizarre considering Savage had never intimated any desire of wanting to visit the UK, and the other people on the list included truly evil people like Fred Phelps and Hamas terrorists.

• Righteous says:

@allstarecho: …not to mention a Zionist shill. Wake up people.

• henwy says:

@Righteous:

Ya, it’s always those dirty jews, right? First they killed Jesus and now they’re helping sell energy drinks to support their global conspiracy.

6. lutton says:

was the ketchup thing a refernce to Heinz?

7. UnicornMaster says:

I’m not quite sure how a corporation can sue you and shut down your facebook account for having an opinion on something. You are a allowed to protest, demonstrate, organize boycotts, everything short of lie about a corporation’s product, and even sometimes I think you can do that. I would say bring it on douchebags!

8. wardawg says:

Until today I neither knew who Mr. Savage was, nor was I particularily fond of Rockstar Energy Drinks. And while I still don’t particularly care, it seems that some days people just want to be against something…

Why can’t we all just get along? *insert crying indian ad here*

• thegirls says:

@wardawg: I want to be against any product that Michael Savage may benefit from. We should all try and use our purchase power responsibly.

• nycaviation says:

@thegirls: If you boycotted every single entity that did something objectionable, you’d have to live in a cardboard box in the woods.

Actually, scratch that, the box manufacturer probably did something bad, too. You’ll have to build a lean-to.

• MattTheMan78 says:

@nycaviation: Yeah but God created the trees out of which your lean-to will be built. We’ve all read stories of the atrocities committed by that guy

• nycaviation says:

@MattTheMan78: Atrocities? He says words on the radio. I can think of far worse things done by, say, the company who makes the light bulbs over my head.

• sleze69 says:

@wardawg: I’m with you. Don’t know who this guy is and energy drinks taste like ass.

9. vega480 says:

I don’t care if a product I like kills kittens for fun, as long as they make a quality product I will fund their fun.

• ludwigk says:

@vega480: One could argue that the behavior of “kill[ing] kittens for fun” would detract from a product’s overall quality and therefore be mutually exclusive with “quality product[s]“.

What happens when said product mistakes something else for a kitten and kills it, such as your baby? Or, your penis?

• William Brinkman says:

@vega480: Dude, you’re INTERNET EDGY…..

Have you thought of a career as a poster in /b/?

10. audiochick says:

I personally choose to look at it this way: If I drink a Rockstar Energy Drink, I can stay more focused at my Gay Pride parade, pro-choice rally and/or anti-war demonstration.

11. Mario Romero says:

Wow, you’re a fucking terrible consumer. That, or you agree with killing kittens for fun. Any way you slice it, however, you’re a douche.

12. Steve Pan says:

It’s not okay for government to censor people because of the first amendment but the magic of the free market makes this okay. After all, if they had the money they could buy Rockstar from Savage and make it their own hippie gerbage product.

Liberals have the right to SUCK IT

13. gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

hehehe, Whris said weiner

14. Mike Anderson says:

I had a “friend” who ran a house party in college. They fooled Rockstar into believing they were an actual bar and scored 4 free cases of swill each month. Sure, it’s gross, but a bunch of free crap that makes the ladies dance faster? At a college party? I’ll take it.

Btw, one of the lawyers representing Rockstar is Shapiro, OJ’s old council. Niiiiice.

• Auto-Erotic_GitEmSteveDave-ation says:

@Mike Anderson: Wow, a defense attorney defending a client? Since defense attorneys aren’t employed like a prosecutor, they tend to take on clients so they can earn money. High power attorneys tend to get a lot of business, so it’s no surprise he has been on the defense teams of more than one or two high profile cases.

15. Coles_Law says:

The guy’d Facebook ‘apology’ is well written and worth the read. Unfortunately, most of the comments read “I don’t drink Rockstar, so sure I’ll boycott it!”, so the effect so far will be minimal.

16. Jim Topoleski says:

WAIT is his last name REALLY Weiner? Like as in the euphemism for penis Wiener?

Boy that explains A LOT.

17. Nick says:

They sorta ripped off Rush Limbaugh’s logo.

18. SpruceStreetPhil - in a new Pine flavor says:

Just wait until Monster energy drink and Rockstar merge to be headed up by….. you guessed it Monster Cable.

A new level of dbaggery will ensue.

19. Keavy_Rain says:

I like RockStar, I like Savage, and I agree that the people should know.

I wonder how this information will affect sales, though. I know I won’t change my buying habits because of this information. I like the drink’s taste and the neon green urine I produce after drinking it.

• UnicornMaster says:

@Keavy_Rain: I won’t drink it anymore. I’ll switch to Monster. Unless i find out that it’s run by the same guy as Monster Cable. That guy’s a douchebag too.

• sonneillon says:

@Keavy_Rain: I don’t like Savage but I love rockstar. So my mild dislike for Savage is overpowered by how great rockstar is. And my pee comes out as neon yellow, bright too.

• ludwigk says:

@Keavy_Rain: Hrm. Being a first generation American, and pro civil rights, I am genuinely conflicted.

On the one hand, Rockstar is a cheap and palatable source of caffeine. On the other hand, Weiner is a surprisingly well educated prick.

I am nothing if not vengeful, so I could only continue drinking Rockstar if his wife and son were estranged and hated Weiner as well.

• Trai_Dep says:

@ludwigk: Well, there ARE about 307 other overly-caffeinated fizzy drinks to tempt you.
        Or, y’know go Old Skool hardcore: espresso, man. Lots of espresso. Espresso until your toenails not only vibrate, but saw their way out of your shoes and hitchhike to Seattle. For Kurt!

• VukZecovic says:

@ludwigk: If you want a really cheap source of caffeine, just buy NoDoz or something. Leave the Rockstar Energy Drink alone.

No money for hate.

20. fatcop says:

Next thing your going to break the news on is that Bill Clinton is a philanderer. Perhaps the sun will rise tomorrow? A broken clock is right twice a day?

As I mentioned before, I might just buy a case of this crap and give it away to kids in the neighborhood on principle.

• theodicey says:

@fatcop: The principle being…total jerks are entitled to your money?

Please mention the First Amendment in your answer, so I can laugh.

• HiPwr says:

@theodicey: I missed the part where someone said that Savage was “entitled” to anyone’s money.

• VukZecovic says:

@HiPwr: The only think Weiner/Savage is entitled to is our disdain.

He’s a sad, sick man who makes his living by telling people that Obama’s going to take away their guns. Then, when some of those people go out and shoot a couple of cops, he pretends he had nothing to do with it.

• HiPwr says:

@VukZecovic: I’m pretty sure you are referring to some specific case where some cop-killer attributed his actions to something Savage said. I say that because I don’t automatically assume that you make idiotic statements that you can’t back up.

21. I Love New Jersey says:

Would you make an issue of it if it was some left wing nut job?

22. nycaviation says:

Dear Consumerist,

I would really prefer you guys stay out of these sorts of partisan political arguments that really don’t have any serious relation to consumer issues, and I can’t imagine your fair and balanced CR overlords would not object on some level. How many people actually buy Rockstar? Probably a very, very small % of your readers and an even smaller portion of the total population. There’s no reason to get into this, it will only anger a large portion of your readers and the comments will delve into a massive right vs. left idiot fight.

Thanks,
    Me

• The_Legend says:

@nycaviation: Thank you.

• dantsea says:

@nycaviation: I must have read a different blog post than the one you’re commenting on, because what I read was that lawyers on behalf of Rockstar are sending threatening letters to bloggers and news outlets making false or misleading claims in an attempt to silence criticism of their product.

Furthermore, every blog post on Consumerist contains the personal opinion of its author, sometimes in a very creative and original way, but I guess that’s only fun until one’s sacred cow gets gored, right?

• nycaviation says:

@dantsea: I don’t give a crap about Savage or Rockstar. I just get annoyed seeing the Internet being overrun with these pointless arguments led mainly by uninformed people on both sides who just spread more false information and produce nothing of value. Consumerist is a great site in part because it usually doesn’t have that sort of stuff.

From what I can tell, Rockstar is trying very hard to shed the image that they’re associated with Michael Savage…they even donated $25,000 to a Michael Savage archenemy, San Fran mayor Gavin Newsom. (Newsom actually gave it back.) If they want to clear their name on Facebook, so be it. How do we know they’re being misleading? The evidence that he is involved is circumstantial. If there’s nothing on paper, then he’s not involved. The end. The lawyers are within their rights.

• Trai_Dep says:

@nycaviation: It’s information that consumers might use to affect their purchase decision. It’s also a case of a corporation trying to infringe upon the rights of normal joes trying to let this particular information be free.
      The fact that it’s from a guy that constantly whimpers about how his free speech rights are being trampled upon by Black helicopters, and constantly >slams “unnecessary” law suits, makes it even more news-worthy.

That said, if some Red State guy didn’t want to buy, say, Mandela brand of cola, that’d be fine. Free market, informed marketplace, individual choice: all good things in the Consumerist universe.

• henwy says:

@Trai_Dep:

I don’t understand what makes you so incredibly pig ignorant sometimes. The evidence so far is the company had its lawyers contact these individuals because they were making materially false claims, that savage was a co-owner or co-inventor of company/drink. That was clearly false and they were asked to stop or face legal action. Nowhere is anyone infringing on any asshole’s right to spread information. It’s the spreading of false information that they find objectionable, and so should we all.

23. HiPwr says:

I’ve attempted to listen to Savage before. I didn’t find anything insightful or redeeming in what I heard.

I’ve never tried this drink, however, but I might now just to irrate those that are whining about him.

• Anonymous says:

@HiPwr:
      Why would you support company that goes around trying to censor their detractors on the internet?

Welcome to the world. Your actions reflect upon those you associate with, and the actions of your associates reflect upon you.

24. bohemian says:

People should be privy to this kind of information no matter what opinion the controversial group or person is spouting. The issue is less that a polarizing figure is profiting from a product, it is that he doesn’t want people to know.

I do not want my money to help people I not just disagree with but are making an effort to take away my rights. But that is my choice. Everyone should at least be able to have the information to decide for themselves.

The teenager drinks rockstar from time to time. He will never buy another one when I tell him this.

25. HiPwr says:

I’ve never tried this drink, however, but I think I will just to irritate those that are whining about him.

26. arthurborko says:

Well, thats enough for me to forgo ever purchasing that drink again.

Boycott by association!

27. HooFoot says:

So you believe in guilt by association? You’re lucky that you’ve never been stuck with a loud, embarrassing family member who in no way represents you or the rest of the family.

I’m willing to give Rockstar the benefit of the doubt, although I agree that trying to supress that information is a dick move. A “We do not in any way represent Michael Savage” press release would have been sufficient.

• dantsea says:

@HooFoot: See, here’s the thing that sticks in my mind about it: Why not just a press release saying “nope, not affiliated.” Why the frantic, angry counterattack with the lawyers whenever someone says otherwise?

If I didn’t know better, and obviously I do, since Savage’s lawyers have forcefully said otherwise and I wouldn’t dare make the mistake that those other bloggers have made, I’d think that someone was a little freaked out about some financial hocus-pocus being discovered.

28. Dan Grossmann says:

Keep your political beliefs out of the consumerist, chris.
    It’s hard enough as I right-winger like me to read the Consumerist without having to deal with all the left wing crap that is sometimes intertwined with some of your guyses posts.

• dantsea says:
    • JulesNoctambule says:

@Dan Grossmann: Poor conservatives; you all have it so hard.

• Trai_Dep says:

@Dan Grossmann: You should visit The Corporatist instead.

• Chris Walters says:

@Dan Grossmann: I thought I published a surprisingly fair post. I actually re-wrote the first two paragraphs twice in order to remove any judgmental subtext, and I made it clear that the real problem is the attempt to hide the connection, not the connection itself.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I went ahead and included a comment on where I stand wrt Savage. Even if I liked him I would have the same problem with someone hiding the political affiliations behind presumably politically neutral products. That would hopefully explain the Michael Moore reference, as I know he’s an equally loathed blowhard on the opposite end of the political commentator spectrum. Transparency in the chain of ownership or affiliation is absolutely 100% a consumer issue, and should be written about and discussed here.

You can certainly label me any political stripe you like, but everyone else please take note, that’s a label this guy applied to me. I do not claim it.

29. frank64 says:

Michael Savage endorses Direct Buy on his program. I don’t know if he does outside commercials for them.

Best Buy is a scam club that get you to join for over $1000 to supposedly get wholesale prices on big ticket items, but they are very prominently listed on ripoff report as a huge scam. There is no way he can’t know this. It really goes to his creditability.

30. pot_roast says:

His father basically has nothing to do with it. Rockstar also does sponsorships for BMX & motocross events. Should we boycott them too?

Meh.

31. Spectre1125 says:

“Liberalism is a mental disorder.” – Michael Savage.

We’ve got a nice padded room for you here, Chris! It’s filled with income tax revenue, welfare money, and dead voters.

32. cmdrsass says:

I fail to see why anyone would give two craps about this.

33. Jeremy Christopher Jacobs says:

I find it strange and deplorable that you would refer to Savage as a “giant colostomy bag of a man”. You seem to be offended by statements against gays and immigrants but have no issue offending someone who has had to use said medical apparatus.

• Cyberxion101 says:

@Jeremy Christopher Jacobs: You’re funny.

• Chris Walters says:

@Jeremy Christopher Jacobs: It’s because I wanted to call him a douchebag, but I don’t like the idea that douching is the worst comparison you can make for a man. The vagina is awesome! (So I’ve heard.) So I figured, well what’s a similarly crude term that involves, say, fecal matter? Ahh, colostomy bag. It will never catch on, because it’s too hard to say compared to the beauty of saying “douchebag,” but I didn’t want to put Savage and the concept of a vagina in the same sentence. He doesn’t really deserve that privilege.

I’m also pretty sure someone who uses a colostomy bag probably doesn’t consider it the most beautiful thing on the planet. If you use one and were offended, I apologize.

• Trai_Dep says:

@Jeremy Christopher Jacobs: Some designer colostomy bags are actually quite fetching. Fashion-forward, even!

• redkamel says:

@Jeremy Christopher Jacobs: he didnt say “Savage is a colostomy bag user”, he said he literally is a colostomy bag. I think even people who use colostomy bags would agree the colostomy bag itself is kind of gross, and that fact has nothing to do with the actual person. I wont shed a tear if you call someone a condom head, although I have been know to use them, and they do tend to get kind of gross too.

34. halcyondays says:

Careful Consumerist, you run the risk of politicizing your site. That would be bad for *your* business.

35. jstonemo says:

These energy drinks are for people who are too busy to get hooked on meth. Considering the prices people pay for these cans of liquid crack, I wonder if meth is cheaper?

36. coan_net says:

I can tell you that I will NEVER have a Rockstar Energy drink now that I know this!!!!!!!!!!

…. of course I never had a Rockstar Energy drink, so I guess this “connection” has no true affect on me. :-)

37. tankertodd says:

Gay folks don’t need our protection. We need protection from the gay folks. Consider what happened in California when the names of Proposition 8 supporters got out. The militant gays went after these people. You would think a group that is rightly seeking equal rights would do so without denying the same freedom to others. Scary.

• redkamel says:

@tankertodd: yeah, look at what heppned when groups from out of state illegally tried to influence an election, ended up losing, then kept funneling money to overturn the decision and finally won! Those gays sure got mad when they lost their hard-won rights, or even were in danger of losing the election to out of state funds from the mormon church, who, ironically, has their own form of “marriage”! Those gay folks should have just sat there and taken it, and never let the quality of their relationships be recognized as equal to those of men and women.

• Anonymous says:

@redkamel:
        I never did get how 52 million people were held at gunpoint when they voted. Or, how the Yes on 8 campaign was outspent by the No guys by millions of dollars, much of it coming from out of state groups too, and churches like the Unitarian Universalist church. I guess I’m just not seeing the giant miscarriage of democracy here.

• Shaggy says:

@tankertodd: Wow. People get mad when you deny them human rights. Who woulda thought?

38. ideagirl says:

when rockstar first launched, Savage promoted in on his show ENDLESSLY, and even gave it away at a personal appearance in the bay area. Recently, Russ Weiner, Savage’s son and founder of the company, made a large political donation to the mayor of San Francisco. It was very publicly returned because of the company’s connection to Savage.

[www.thepoliticalcesspool.org]

39. LostTurntable says:

I stopped buying Rockstar over a year ago when I heard about this. Michael Savage is a hate-fileld beast, a racist homophobe lying sack of shit who should be shot into space. I don’t want to give anyone in his family mother, unless Savage’s son releases a statement saying that he personally deplores everything his father says and has removed him from his estate and will then I’m never buying a Rockstar again.

It’s a shame too, cuz I love the stuff.

40. Ronin-Democrat says:

Insane clown posse strikes

41. Squeezer99 says:

If Michael Savage’s statements about gays and immigrants are “outrageous” then so are Al Gore’s statements about global warming.

• carline711 says:

@Squeezer99:

Neat, I figured someone with the name squeezer would be more open to these things.

• redkamel says:

@Squeezer99: not really. One is blatantly racist, the other is backed up general scientific consensus.

• SacraBos says:

@redkamel: The only problem with Al Gore is that the science is weak (H2O is more of a greenhouse gas than CO2, and also a critical part of the eco-system). The fossil fuels we’re burning were originally lush vegetation and animals (some of those deserts were a virtual Eden at one time!)

Let’s get to the meat of what Al Gore says – people are causing global warming. So in order to get to 1990 levels of CO2 production, we’re going to need to get to 1990′s level of popuplation. Which means we need a swine or bird flu to take out about 1 billion people. Remember, the newest Soylent product is GREEN.

• Squeezer99 says:

@redkamel:

actually more scientists agree that global warming isn’t man made then do.

42. redkamel says:

What I think is more outrageous is legal action for stating facts.

• SacraBos says:

@redkamel: Which means you let the case go to court. And counter sue for damages. And court means discovery – where you can subpoena supporting documents from Savage. The truth is the only defense you need.

43. meechybee says:

Too bad Rush can’t get an endorsement deal for OxyContin or (illegal) Cuban-made cigars.

44. meechybee says:

…although justice will come on the day when illegal immigrants are discovered working at the RockStar bottling plant.

Watch out for the third rail of politics, Consumerist. I think your original post was WAY too inflammatory. Not that I disagree with your opinions, I just think that the original bent of the story — a famous personality shadowing the ownership of a consumable company — is enough to run with.

Believe me, if it were insinuated that illegal muslim gay immigrants were secret owner of a soft drink company — Savage would be all over it.

45. KinetiQ says:

The guy used to hang out with Allen Ginsberg. One time when I was listening to his show he actually screamed into the mic that “the liberals are the diseased minds of our age” so loud it distorted through the compressor. It was the most hilarious thing I’d heard that night.

Michael Savage is the only political yelling radio personality I can listen to because it’s obvious he doesn’t believe anything he says. Limbaugh and Hannity I can’t stand because their presentation is believable.

Seriously, give his show a listen, and constantly ask yourself “This is the guy that Timothy Leary trusted with the key to the Millbrook estate? This guy wrote a book extolling the virtues of medicinal marijuana?” You can’t *not* laugh.

He has advertised the drink and his relation to the drink on-air, so I can’t imagine why they’re going after websites that make it public. Honestly it makes me want to drink more of this stuff, if it means Michael gets a bigger share of the conservative talk-radio market.

46. Anonymous says:

The link provided at the bottom of this article, which attempts to link to “Don’t Drink Hate. BOYCOTT ROCKSTAR* my apology” [Facebook], is now broken because someone hijacked the facebook group and replaced it with “LEGALIZE CHILD LABOR.” The admin of that group is attempting to silence all references to the original group by deleting any comments made about the Rockstar group.

Here is a link to the google cache of the original facebook group: http://www.TinyURL.com/nug9vl

47. RandomHookup says:

@sinfonian94: But there’s a big difference between them and Fred Savage.

48. JBUZZ says:

I would really like everyone hear to judge me according to my father please. Do we even know if Savage makes a cent off this? Do we know if his son even shares the same opinions? Do we know enough about the father of the person who wrote this article? Seriously, It’s pretty shitty to go against this company because it’s someone son. Maybe the son doesn’t want people to know that he needed some help from his father getting a company started and doesn’t want to be judged according to who his father his. This article is kind of douchey on that level…oh well

49. Justifan says:

he’s a shock jock.
    taking literal quotes out of context is a ridiculous way to go after him.

not to mention this is highly political, perhaps you should have posted any product with association with lefty celebrities and tree huggers/peta nuts so we can be “informed” about what things to stay away from….

wait…i’ve never seen such a thing happen …

just stay away from politics..seriously

50. cmdrsass says:

oh boy do I love the update to this post. Keep digging Chris.

• Chris Walters says:

@cmdrsass: I figure any attempt to be sincere or honest on my part is going to bring on more mockery. *shrug* At least I feel like I’m being as fair-minded as possible, both yesterday and today. I guess I can handle any criticism.

I’m still a little surprised that everyone is focused on the apparently “left-wing” bias of this post and ignoring the paragraph about Michael Moore, or my clarifications re. that in the comments above. Oh well, live and learn.

• Trai_Dep says:

@Chris Walters: Well, it’s not as though the other side is known for their amiable lack of a double standard.
        It’s funny how the Progressives are all, Get the information out, let the market decide, chips fall where they may. Obviously, hoping it’ll hurt Savage’s spreading octopus of industries, but sanguine.
        Versus the other side not only wants to mobilize the masses, but also launches significant corporate assets to push the needle to create astroturf rebellions (Dixie Chicks come to mind, for artists’ outrageous crime of suggesting that perhaps GW Bush wasn’t the Second Coming; boy were the Chicks wrong or what!)
        It’s almost like if Big Daddy doesn’t tell them what to be outraged about, they won’t know what to think.

51. Anonymous says:

Three years ago when I was in high school, my chemistry class did an experiment where we extracted pure caffeine from different energy drinks to see if the amount extracted matched the amount that was supposed to be in the drink. Unlike some drinks, Rockstar did not list caffeine content on the can. Unlike AMP, they also did not list the caffeine content online… Over the course of a few weeks I left at least 3 or 4 messages with their “technical department” (which I am pretty sure is just an answer machine), and I never got a call back. I tried calling outside of regular business hours, and a lady answer the phone with a simple, “Hello.” I asked if this was Rockstar and she responded with an, “Oh crap,” and transferred me to an answering machine.

I like Rockstar; it tastes okay for an energy drink. But dang, that is one shady company.

52. Jeremiah Cohick says:

The Facebook group linked in the story changed its name from “Don’t Drink Hate. BOYCOTT ROCKSTAR* my apology” to a pro-Rockstar group this morning. Follow up story??

53. SgtMajorFragg says:

I missed the part where a private citizen’s business interests is particularly relevant to consumer issues.

Shame on you, Chris Walters, for allowing your personal feelings (colostomy bag, sheesh) to interfere with your responsibilities to write such a incendiary post.

Shame on you, The Consumerist, for greenlighting this.

54. SgtMajorFragg says:

“Imagine buying your favorite ketchup and assuming it’s politically meaningless, and then finding out Michael Moore rakes in cash from it. Yes, Michael Moore. How’s that ketchup taste now? “

You mean like Heinz ketchup? Of the Heinz-Kerry ketchup. Personally it does not affect me. I don’t like John Kerry, but it doesn’t mean I’ll stop buying Heinz ketchup if I like it.

Further, boycotting an energy drink is an exercise in futility. Who effin’ cares?

55. btdoyle says:

Politicians, political spokesmen, and media representatives are going to have sons daughters.

Sometimes these individuals become successful starting a company.

Parents and children do not always share the same political opinions.

Focus on the facts and please leave out the hearsay or quasi “consumers must know this fact!” connection.

Guess what, your computer you are writing this on was probably made in china! Did you know china supports bad things?! Please post a story on this.

56. cwlodarczyk says:

I was already aware of this, but I have to say: this is one of the best articles I’ve seen on Consumerist.

Vote with your pocketbooks / wallets people!

57. eskimo81 says:

Another update, the original facebook group creator created another one called “Don’t Drink Hate. BOYCOTT ROCKSTAR* my apology”, which was still pretty damning towards rockstar.

But now, I have to laugh, I have 2 emails regarding this group.

1. That the name was changed from “Don’t Drink Hate. BOYCOTT ROCKSTAR* my apology” to “LEGALIZE CHILD LABOUR!”.
    2. That the name was then changed from “LEGALIZE CHILD LABOUR!” to “ROCKSTAR ENERGY DRINK FANCLUB!”.

Clearly, someone must have thought that those who supported the boycott would have been more embarassed supporting Rockstar than supporting child labour. Which says a lot about Rockstar.

58. S-the-K says:

This is why I don’t buy Heinz or “Newman’s Own” products because the money goes straight into the anti-American Democrat party!

If you buy Heinz, you buy hate!

59. Anonymous says:

I own bars and nightclubs. Not gay ones. But I hate MS! The guys is such a scum bag. Full of hate. Anyway I have banned the product from my establishments and am working with my colleagues around town (LA) to get them to dump it too. Its like if the Shas/Likud/KKK party had a energy drink. Boycott it!

60. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the heads up, and you’re absolutely right, corporate transparency is important. I’m a big believer in putting my money where my mouth is. I don’t appreciate unknowingly supporting something/one I disagree with. Take Dominoes, once I found out that their big corporate charity was Operation Rescue I stopped ordering from them. Simple as that.

61. Anonymous says:

So, an (un)popular celebrity’s son has a popular business/product, um, and this is news how? Oh right, Facebook was involved, and of course that makes it news.

I had heard this several years ago… ho hum…

If no conspiracy exists, let’s invent one!

62. VukZecovic says:

I know I’ll never drink another Rockstar Drink. I’ll drink RedBull, Monster, Vitamin Water, anything but Rockstar. I don’t want one penny of my money going anywhere near Michael Weiner, even if it’s just his son buying that racist thug a father’s day present.

Boycott Rockstar Energy Drink!

63. captainproton says:

@Chris Walters
    “I figure any attempt to be sincere or honest on my part is going to bring on more mockery. *shrug* At least I feel like I’m being as fair-minded as possible, both yesterday and today. I guess I can handle any criticism.”

I noticed some anonymous posts were not posted here, presumably because they are antithetical to your pro-gay agenda of digging Rockstar, Mike Savage et al into the ground. And a couple of other posts that did appear seem removed.

Fair, sincere, and honest? Hmmmm. I’d like to know how censorship that goes against your views is “fair.”

• Chris Walters says:

@captainproton: Don’t mix up the post with the comment section. I said I was trying to write a fair post: here is Savage, here’s what he’s known for, here’s his relationship to a product, here’s why people should know about this sort of thing in general (regardless of political views). And I was trying to be fair-minded by posting a follow-up that clarified what I understood about the situation after further reading.

I think you’re complaining about the fact that the comments section is moderated and not a free-for-all. That’s by design! It makes the comments more readable and helps us police against trolls.

Read more about our comments code here:
      [consumerist.com]

If you don’t think it’s being moderated appropriately according to the code, you can email the moderator (see sidebar for email link). If you disagree with the code itself, you can email Ben or Meg (again, see sidebar).

I don’t moderate the comments. I just read them, bang my head against the desk, distract myself by doing some obscenely gay stuff with gay people (and/or ducks), and then occasionally reply.

• Trai_Dep says:

@captainproton: Should someone calling himself Captain Protein, of all things, really be using dog-whistle phrases like “pro-gay agenda”?
      E.G., Ted Haggard, is that you?

64. Jeff Edwards says:

So why exactly is Michael Savage’s family enterprise sponsoring Marilyn Manson and Slayer on the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival? Who’s duping who? Would Marilyn Manson agree to this sponsorship knowing the ownership connections? Or is it possible that Michael Savage’s family members are secret admirers of Marilyn Manson? Corporate sponsorships sure make for strange bedfellows, if nothing else.

65. Waverly V Phillips says:

Well Its not like I drink crappy energy drinks but this is nice to know. I wouldn’t want any of my cash going to a bigot like Michael Savage family. Its not about being politically correct this guy is way off the radar when it comes to political debate. He has a 1st amendment right to spew hate all he wants but on the other hand people also have a right to boycott.

66. liesandslander says:

i still say shenanigans., just like OP. break out the broomsticks

67. Ray Ray Angel says:

Explain to me how they are not connected? The website CLEARLY lists his dad as one of the inventors on archives and his mom is the CFO. I like how Rockstar is stripping these references off the site but archives show the truth.

68. Anonymous says:

It’s rather ironic to criticise Savage for wanting to end Muslim immigration to the United States. In banning him from entering Britain, the UK’s home secretary said:

“‚ÄúComing to this country is a privilege … If you can‚Äôt live by the rules that we live by, the standards and the values that we live by, we should exclude you from this country and, what‚Äôs more, now we will make public those people that we have excluded.‚Äù

I believe that this statement neatly sums up Savage’s concerns about Muslim immigrants.

69. Bugsy Bucko says:

Who cares? I like listeng to Savage and drinking Rockstar. In AMERICA we have the freedom to do so just like we ALL have freedom of privacy. Get a life and clean your own backyard before complaining about your neighbors. Every liberal wants something to bitch and whine about. In AMERICA I should have the freedom to bitch and whine too…even if it offends someone. I’es called freedom of speach and expression.