Did you use a credit card at a Sports Authority store in California between April 30, 2007 and April 30, 2008? If so, you’re eligible for a class-action settlement. At that time, the store required customers to give their zip codes during all credit card transactions. A customer filed suit because he believed this was an invasion of his privacy. Class members receive a $20 voucher to The Sports Authority. (via Slickdeals – Thanks, Toland!)

Comments

1. Marcia Williams says:

Sports Authority is still currently asking for your zip code – I shopped there yesterday.

2. TEW says:

I bought gas and the pay at the pump asked me for my zip code. According to the gas station they wanted the zip code for the card to prevent theft. I was very happy to see that the gas stations were trying to protect me from theft.

• scoosdad says:

@TEW: Yeah, the court document on the settlement said that Sports Authority was asking for zip codes in conjunction with accepting payment by credit card. Apparently in California, that’s against he law. So gas stations in CA shouldn’t be asking for zips either.

It’s one thing to ask for zip codes to instantly verify against your credit card information that you’re the true owner of the card, and I think that’s a unique way to cut down on misuse. But it’s quite another to collect zip codes and use them for demographic research on your customers. Not sure which was happening here, the linked websites don’t say.

• H3ion says:

@scoosdad: Automated gasoline pumps will ask for the zip code to which the credit card is billed to prevent use of stolen credit cards. No problem. For stores that ask me for a zip code I usually use one from New Jersey and when they ask for a phone number, they get the White House. They didn’t say the information had to be accurate.

3. GitemHomerJay! says:

Oh… You didn’t actually want us to answer the question?
    Sorry.

4. erikislame says:

Someone filed a class action suit for this? Thanks for making it easier for my money to get stolen–asshole.

If you’re that opposed to it, carry cash. Don’t fuck w/ people who like security protections on plastic.

Man I hate pantshitters like this.

• Laura Northrup says:

@erikislame: I only use cash with the serial numbers blacked out so the government can’t trace me.

• Moosehawk says:

@Laura Northrup: lol. I have nothing else to say to that

• Trai_Dep says:

@Laura Northrup: You own hamsters, correct?
        Save a Sharpie – put them to work!
        Err, assuming their gnawing is precise enough to just get the #s, and that they’re more trainable than, say, cats. (I’ve taught mine the fine tricks of Eat, Sleep, Purr and Jump On My Bare Chest With Claws Extended At 4am When They’re Hungry (they learned the last one especially fast).

5. tsume says:

I don’t think Sports Authority should have lost this one…

6. gravitus says:

At my work, on occasion we process a credit card from a customer without the card physically in our hands. We use a web interface with our card processor to handle these transactions. If we enter a CC number without the zip code we pay a higher processing fee. Sometimes we have the instance where the zip code doesn’t pop up on our CC machine in the office. We pay a higher rate for this transaction.

When people get pissy about me asking for their zip code, I simply tell them why. I get paid less from you in the end because you don’t want to give up your zip code. These people will trust us with their cars for hours after just meeting them but think I am invading their privacy when I ask for a zip code attached to the CC. In the end it’s a ¬Ω% point for these transactions, I don’t want to make less money because someone is being difficult. Multiply this over the course of a year and it adds up to a significant amount of money. The difference between staying in business and closing the doors for some people‚Ķ

• oldgraygeek says:

@gravitus: I accept card transactions at the customer’s house on a paper imprinter, and punch them into my terminal when I get back to the office. When I manually enter a card number, my terminal asks for the address (house number only) and the Zip code.
      The conversation usually goes like this:

I take the imprint, write down the amount, and ask, “Is this house the billing address for this card?”
      “Yes, it is.”
      “This is house number 742, right?”
      “Yes.” I write it on the slip.
      “What’s your Zip code?”
      “02657.” I write that down.
      “Thanks. I get charged higher transaction fees if I don’t enter that information.”
      They sign the slip, and get a copy that includes their house number and Zip code.

Then, I enter the address info into my terminal as part of the transaction process.
      I prefer to openly admit that I will use that info to get the lowest transaction rate. Since I have already showed up at the customer’s house, they don’t mind confirming those parts of their address.

7. Eldritch says:

I don’t understand? They ask this in places like Victoria’s Secret and Bath & Body

8. krunk4ever says:

Personally I have nothing against asking zip for purchase and even prefer it in some situations (i.e. unmanned transactions like at gas stations or self-checkout lanes) which helps prevent fraud.

You’re already asked your FULL billing address when you purchase online, so I don’t really see what the big deal is.

9. Mega Mike says:

travelzzo.com
    and be done with it

10. Mega Mike says:

thats travelzoo.com
    sorry

11. stillthesame says:

They just asked me for my phone number this morning here in Tucson, AZ – anybody know anything about that?

12. el-brazo-onofre says:

In a word, LAME. What about my frickin’ ZIP code is private? Anyone can grab my property deed from the deeds office, and there are plenty of names and addresses in the phone book. What can Sports Authority do with my ZIP code that invades my privacy? “Oh, I see you live in a 10-mile vicinity of A-town.” It helps their marketers and that’s it. Nothing personal. Damn.

13. oneandone says:

It doesn’t bother me in terms of privacy, but I don’t want to help them build their marketing database. I don’t like targeted ads, and even though sometimes I like to fill out surveys, I don’t want to information collected about me & my shopping patterns without my consent. So I decline to give my phone number and zip code, and so far haven’t had a problem. It doesn’t seem to be used for preventing theft – just building marketing databases. I want to be able to opt out.

14. cedarpointfan says:

Let me guess…

The 20 dollar voucher does not include: The North Face, Under Armour, Nike, Adidas, Coleman, Puma, Worth, Everlast, Diadora….etc…