National Doughnut Day Is Tomorrow! Free Doughnuts!

Tomorrow, June 5th, is National Doughnut Day. Why do you care about this? Because it is your opportunity to grab yourself a free doughnut. And as we all know, free doughnuts have no calories. Actually, that is a lie.

In honor of National Doughnut Day, participating Krispy Kremes are offering one free doughnut per customer, no purchase necessary.
(We feel compelled to mention that the company just released their earnings and the news wasn’t good. Fiscal first-quarter earnings skidded 53%. So, maybe if you’re feeling generous and want to take pity on them, you might want to buy a coffee while you’re there.)

Dunkin’ Donuts also has a deal -- participating locations will give every customer a free doughnut of their choice, with the purchase of any beverage, limit one per customer.

if you’re the sort to get annoyed easily, call first to see if locations are participating.

Comments

1. tobedetermined says:

I haven’t seen Krispy Kreme for a long time. Where are they now? There used be quite a few outlets in the Philadelphia area.

• B says:

@tobedetermined: They overexpanded in the late 90s early 00s, in conjunction with their IPO. After an accounting scandal, they closed a lot of the new stores, retreating back to their base in the Southern US. If you want a Krispy Kreme, try crossing the Mason Dixon line.

• nakedscience says:

@B: Uh, we have Krispey Kreme again here in Phoenix…

• metrophage says:

@B: Got one here in Beaverton, just outside Portland, OR…

• Branan says:

@metrophage: I know exactly where it is!

I’m not fond of Kripsy Kreme, though. There’s a little donut shop on TV highway, in Aloha, that I go to when I get a donut craving.

• Keavy_Rain says:

@B: I have a funny story about that. Here in Sacramento, back in 2000, Krispy Kreme opened a location right next to a family-run donut shop. The local news did a story about how “This quaint family shop may not survive with the Behemoth next door.”

Five years to the day later KK shut its doors and the family-owned place next door had weathered the storm just fine. I went there with a group of friends to celebrate the death of Krispy Kreme. The family shop’s donuts were not only cheaper, but better than those at the Krispy Kreme.

• nycaviation says:

@tobedetermined: My favorite Krispy Kreme location: Inside Harrod’s in London. When I was there about a year ago, two Boston Kremes and a coffee came to around ¬£7, or $14!

• Elginista says:

@tobedetermined: There are still a few in Chicago, but not as many as there used to be.

2. Scuba Steve says:

I can’t eat just one. And that means if I go, I’ll pig out on doughnuts. Nice try, Krispy Kreme.

• ajlei says:

@Scuba Steve: Yeah, exactly. Feeling generous for them isn’t even an issue. I have to get a classic donut, and then an apple fritter, and then a creme filled one, and maybe a lemon filled one. It’s too hard to stop!

3. LegoMan322 says:

Yeah! Exactly what America needs….more doughnuts. ::insert Homer Simpson’s voice::
    D-o-u-g-h-n-u-t-s!

4. ReverendLoki says:

For those lucky enough to be near one, the incomparable Lamar’s Donuts are also giving away free donuts (one per, I believe) on NDD. [www.lamars.com]

5. jeffbone says:

Alas, my closest Krispy Kreme is nearly 20 miles away, through some of the worst traffic DC and NoVA have to offer…

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@jeffbone: I prefer Krispy Kreme, but since it would take fighting armies of traffic and road work (grrrrr to all of you workers on 66), I may have to settle for Dunkins.

• edwardso says:

@pecan 3.14159265: I hope you are lucky enough to avoid the 14th street bridge mess

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@edwardso: Thank God, yes. I’m a pedestrian in D.C. so I don’t have to deal with the hordes of cars, but any pedestrian in D.C. knows there are risks with walking in the city, surrounded by frustrated and panicky drivers…especially today, when it’s storming.

• Shadowfire says:

@jeffbone: Our closest Krispy Kreme is I think 150 miles away? 20 isn’t so bad. ;)

• dave23 says:

@Shadowfire: If you think that 20 miles isn’t so bad, you should try driving it every day. My commute home from work is 22 miles (on the route that Jeff is talking about). It take me an hour and fifteen minutes to get home….30 minutes more if its drizzling.

• Etoiles says:

@jeffbone: Is it that one in Alexandria? That’s over by wrere we’re getting married and any time we need to head that way to see a vendor or something, my North-Carolina-born fianc√© pulls out the puppy eyes and diverts us to Krispy Kreme on the way out or back.

Me, I’m from Boston originally so I love my Dunkin’s. Not so much for the donuts, but a Dunkin Donuts’ french vanilla coffee is my caffeinated bliss of choice.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Etoiles: There’s one in Alexandria, a few in Maryland…but other than that, none of them are convenient for people up here.

• jeffbone says:

@Etoiles: Yep, that’s the one. As much as I appreciate a free fat pill, it’s not worth slugging it out on the beltway and the evil I-66(6) corridor. Guess it’ll be Dunkin’ for me, too.

• BurtReynolds says:

Hence why I really don’t leave the house on the weekend. Prisoner to DC Metro area traffic. Commuting during the week burns me out by Wednesday.

6. everclear75 says:

WooHoo!! Shipley’s is participating!
    [www.shipleydonuts.ws]

7. Trai_Dep says:

Stick it to The Man.
    Visit your local, independent fried doughball establishment and buy a plain buttermilk bar.
    OK, personal bias: buy whichever kind you like.

8. Lara Zielin says:

Give the donut its due, peeps. National Donut Day is this fat-laden treat’s one day to sparkle — or, sprinkle as it were — each year.

9. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

If tomorrow is free doughnut day, the day after has to be cardiologist kickback day, right?

Full Disclosure: I’ve probably eaten more doughnuts in my lifetime than 80% of the general public.

10. gotbock says:

@Meg: Why must you make this blog into a blog of lies? Why?

11. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

When is National 2lb Bacon Cheeseburger Day?

12. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I’m at work, and when I saw this post I say out loud, “Oh, tomorrow is national doughnut day!”

Now I have to bring in doughnuts for everyone >_<

13. Russ Savage says:

i’ll have to prepare multiple disguises for this one. me love doughnuts.

14. Chris Stone says:

I like the idea of no purchase necessary at Krispy Kreme, but it would be cheaper to buy a drink at Dunkin Donuts than to pay for gas for how far my closest KK is.

• econobiker says:

@Chris Stone: Krispy Kremes are so much smaller than Duncan and other NE US Donuts but they are like the crack of donuts- you cannot just eat one…

15. Zak Robinson says:

Isn’t every day free doughnut day at Krispy Kreme? At least, whenever they’re making new doughnuts, it is. That’s why they’ve got that sign that lights up. It’s awful, too… we went there for a lunch dessert one day, not realizing that they were frying up some fresh doughnuts, so then after they gave us free doughnuts, we still felt obligated to buy the one we would have had anyway (heart-shaped, with sprinkles!) so we got *twice* the calories for the price of one!

16. BCK says:

Dunkin’ Donuts may want to ensure their reps are on the same page as corporate. Yesterday the Dunkin’ Donuts twitter rep seemed to believe there was no limit in the order.

17. Jack Doyle says:

A free doughnut is a perfect way to celebrate President Obama’s National GLBT Pride month. Thanks, KK and DD!

18. Quilt says:

So you get a free donut when you walk into a Krispy Kreme? Just to put this into perspective, EVERY time I walk into a Krispy Kreme, they’ve given me a free donut sample.

It’s always free donut day at Krispy Kreme. Yum!

• ludwigk says:

@Quilt: They don’t do this in NorCal, and its like $8 for a dozen. I used to go to Krispy Kreme in the south and get free handouts all the time. Once, we walked in, got free donuts, bought a couple dozen, then stood around to watch the chocolate donuts get made. The employees saw us drooling at the choco-nuts and brought out a tray of those for us to divvy up as well.

Whenever KK is doing a promo, the Pinole and Oakland locations (those nearest to me) are always not participating.

19. mcnerd85 says:

Krispy Kreme was severely raped out of the Houston market….because they just cannot compete with the Godly Circle of Delicious Caloric Intake known as Shipley’s. Best dough nuts ever.

20. zandar says:

Meg Marco, I love you.

21. Lesley Chang says:

Does this apply to Canadian Krispy Kremes as well?

22. TerribleDecade says:

DD sucks… I have to pay for a free doughnut?! Their beverages are overpriced!

23. El_Fez says:

Hurray! Free doughnut! But. . . it’s a Krispy Kreme? Blech! I’d rather feast upon raw sewage. Seriously, people swear up and down by Krispy Kreme, but I’d rather have a Top Pot or Chucks any day of the week. At least those doughnuts are cooked all the way through!

24. FSugino says:

If you go to the Krispy Kreme site and sign up for their mailing list, you’ll get a coupon – Buy One Dozen, Get One Dozen FREE Original Glazed Doughnuts. Good through the end of the month.