Weezer Introduces Weezer-Branded Snuggie, A Piece Of Us Dies Inside

Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo has decided to follow his rock heroes Kiss down the road of poor merchandising decisions and is partnering with everyone’s favorite wearable blanket to introduce The Wuggie. This is actually happening.

Multiple sources have confirmed that this is not a joke, and there is photographic evidence that the band indeed enjoys the Snuggie. No date has been set for when the Wuggie will hit stores.

We’re going to end this post now before we are overcome with sadness at what has happened to Weezer since Matt Sharp left.

(Photo: weezersnuggie.com)

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

Wow this is so cool! When will it be at Urban Outfitters?!

/barf

2. pb5000 says:

Somehow “if you want to destroy my SNUGGIE” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

3. RideMyDiscoStick?_GitEmSteveDave says:

To quote Mary’s Dad from “There’s Something About Mary”:

“What’s a Wuggie?”

4. ARP says:

I thought this type of ironic merchandising went out of style years ago. Hell, it probably went out of style after Salvador Dali did it (Google/Bing/Wolfram Alpha Nestle and Dali). Oh, and I hate Weezer.

5. Trai_Dep says:

Not much of a shock. It’s sort of like when Miley went slutty*: the surprise wasn’t that s/he did, but rather, what took so long.

* But like dude, that evil magazine totally made her. Totally!

6. calquist says:

If this was *Nsync and it was 1999 I would already own 6. Weezer, you are better than this (even if your last album wasn’t).

7. enriquez the water bottle says:

I think that’s been their entire problem. Apparently Matt Sharp had the talent.

But Sharp would have vetoed the Snuggie, so, good thing he’s gone, am I right?

• raygun21 says:

@enriquez the water bottle: Yup, he’s so talented he’s released what…1 album in the past 5 years? That album I don’t think Weezer fans would like so much (way too somber and unlike the ‘fun’, ‘crazy’ Matt Sharp). And please don’t mention the Rentals as that group had Petra Hayden *and* Maya Rudolph.

• drjayphd says:

@raygun21: Oh, we all know the greatest Weezer side project was the Special Goodness. I think. Maybe I should listen to them first.

• Alex Chasick says:

@drjayphd: Space Twins (Brian Bell) actually had some really enjoyable, quirky songs. Jason Cropper’s (pre-Blue Album) side project wasn’t that good, but wasn’t awful.

And @raygun21: I don’t think you’re using the inclusion of Petra Haden and Maya Rudolph as a bad thing, are you? Matt Sharp might not have been a bandleader or front man, but he had some great bass lines and songwriting ability, and if you saw Weezer in the Blue Album/Pinkerton era, he was their stage presence, as Rivers was very shy.

• o-line says:

@enriquez the water bottle: I don’t know about the talent, but the band certainly turned into a pile of vomit after he left.

I think at this point in his financial ruin, Matt Sharp is working on a lawsuit against Weezer because he was trying to market the Shanket.

8. Aphex242 says:

Et tu, Weezus?

9. Kyattsuai says:

What’s next, the Pearl JamWow?

10. webreacher says:

There was something I didn’t like about Weezer, now I know what…

11. rdm says:

Well they did do that lame Youtube spoofy video a year or so ago, so what did we expect.

12. Stitchopoulis says:

From what I hear, the Slanket is constructed better. I suppose the marketers just didn’t want to deal with trying to sell the “Wanket”.

13. Benny Gesserit says:

Well, if we all bought one, we could remake KLF’s Justified and Ancient.

14. B1663R says:

That picture does not look like anyone from Weezer… i though Rivers was sporting a mustache nowadays…

• MooseOfReason says:

@B1663R: Brian Bell’s on the left. And Scott Shriner is on the right.

Rivers isn’t the only one in the band.

• o-line says:

@B1663R: The whole band is there, plus their extra tour member. Thankfully, the caterpillar on Cuomo’s lip developed into a butterfly and flew away.

15. pmr12002 says:

I just have to say this: Say it Ain’t So!

16. Ben Popken says:

Alex, please don’t use the Royal We when referring to your Weezer love. :)

17. Julius_Seizure says:

Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo has decided to follow his rock heroes Kiss down the road – by doing whatever it takes to try and stay relevant in lieu of producing quality music.

The last time these guys produced anything of quality, Y2K was fresh on everybody’s mind. Quite the shame that the Weezer that gave us modern classic like Blue, Pinkerton, and Green have become the walking punchline that they are today.

18. Laura Northrup says:

The Albany Bureau condones the use of the Royal We in this case.

19. parrotuya says:

Can it get one in blue with white stripes?

DOWn, baby, DOWn1

20. veg-o-matic says:

Oh Weezer.

I shall keep you locked in my memory with all other things from 8th grade, for that is when I loved you most.

Better to burn out than fade away, boys.

21. JulesNoctambule says:

Does it come with a free pack of stick-on HipsterIronic facial hair? Because it looks like it should.

22. unobservant says:

How much of their proceeds are going to charity?

23. UnicornMaster says:

If you want to destroy my Snuggieeeeee!! Pull this string as I walk away!!!!!!

24. chilled says:

The Buddy Holley video is still considered one of the top ever,even after 20yrs or so…

25. Meathamper says: