Tax-Saving Moves For 14 Big Life Events

Life is full of surprises and challenges. Luckily, there’s a tax form for just about all of them. Via Kiplinger’s, here’s 14 major life events that allow for smart tax-saving moves, and how to make those moves.

1. Graduating from college
12. Getting divorced
13. Retiring
14. Death of a spouse

(Photo: tjean314)

Comments

1. AshleyKeen says:

I resent that “Getting Married” and “Having Children” are listed before “Buying your first home.”

I feel so underaccomplished…

• jpmoney says:

@AshleyKeen: The order of the list is pretty interesting. I like the “changing jobs” -> “working from home” -> “selling your home” interaction myself. Things fall apart much?

Does it really matter anymore though? My (current) fiance and I bought our house a year ago, before our engagement. Then again, we’re also not planning children at all.

I guess its like my mom said recently: “you seem to have put the cart before the horse, but do what is going to make you happy”.

• lordargent says:

@jpmoney:

Getting hit with a major illness or injury -> Getting divorced

“Bob was never the same after the accident.”

2. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Via Kiplinger

Am I the only one that read that as “Val Kilmer”?

The article kind of makes it sound number 8 only applies if you’re only self employed but I can’t imagine those rules don’t apply just because you kept the regular 9-5 job too.

3. j-o-h-n says:

The college one seems to contradict itself:

“Hope and Lifetime Learning Credits. … You can’t claim both credits for the same student in the same year.”

and later

“The Hope Credit may be received along with the Lifetime Learning Credit”

4. Brazell says:

I also read that as Val Kilmer, and my first reaction was, “Oh good, he’s doing something these days.

Most of these are a little ridiculous. “Getting your first job” is NOT a tax saving move… you go from paying little to no taxes to paying 40% of your income in taxes. Even if you can deduct job searching expenses, it’s still called a “deduction,” because you’re deducting the probably about less than 1/100th of a percent of the overall you spend on taxes.

5. crabbygeek says:

Great info, now I can save some money on my taxes!

6. Jabes says:

I am not too sure the “buying a home” one is up to date. It talks about a $7,500 tax credit that has to be repaid. My understanding is that for 2009 it’s now $8,000 and doesn’t have to be repaid.

• Hil-fish says:

@Jabes: The article is from December 2008. The stimulus package was but a gleam in Obama’s eye at that point, so yeah, that info is out of date.

• joshua70448 says:

@Hil-fish: Well, technically it’s true, it just doesn’t include the newer tax credit. The $7500 credit (that has to be repaid) is still in effect, and you can claim it for purchases until July 1. However, you’d definitely want to claim the newer $8000 credit instead if you bought after January 1.

• heybtbm says:

@Jabes:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed that.

Old article…that explains it.

7. SwatLax says:

What about going to grad school?

8. morgasco says:

Um, I’ll ask the obvious question regarding this topic. Where’s tax cat?

9. korybing says:

I read the one about getting married and I’m suddenly scared. I can barely do my own taxes, let alone the taxes for both of us. This will be a financial explosion.

10. georgi55 says:

The Buying your first home is old and it still talks about how the $7500 is interested free loan, and does not mention the current $8000 credit if you buys home before 12/1/09