Inspiration To Save Money

“Save a part of your income and begin now, for the man with a surplus controls circumstances and the man without a surplus is controlled by circumstances.” – Henry H Buckley

[via Frugal For Life] (Photo: The Glass People)

Comments

1. Mark says:

Can we get a shortened tweetable version? :)

2. Go Pug Yourself says:

ls lk th n frm Cnfcs wh sy, “Whn y sht whr y t dn’t b srprsd whn lf fds y sht sndwch.” Ys vry ws. Hrw!

3. tobedetermined says:

Some people wish to be able to fire their boss but couldn’t because they live paycheck by paycheck.

4. Myownheroine says:

Those words are too long to be motivational. That quote has way too much dork-appeal for me. And I went to school for many, many years.

5. rick_in_texas says:

Having emergency fund money helps me in these ways:

I raised my deductibles for car and home insurance. Thus getting a lower premium.

It makes medical emergencies more “survivable” from a financial standpoint because you can pay those deductibles.

It allows you to take agressive positions in some stocks that for those of us that are ultra conservative might not otherwise take.

It makes sudden car repairs not anything that tips you into the abyss that is debt hell.

And for the person above who wants a short quote: “Save or suffer”

Rick

6. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Tweetable version:

Money is either your tool or your master.

7. usa_gatekeeper says:

Buckley’s right on; the version said to me years ago was, “Pay yourself first”. Know what? It worked.

8. frank64 says:

When you say that I have seen in multiple places online people playing the class card. They say it is easy for you if you make good money and don’t have a family, but try living in their shoes.

My thinking is it is maybe harder, but much more important if you don’t make tons of money because you are more susceptible to life’s normal problems if you don’t.

And I also see their spending habits or life choices. Usually there are things they spend money on that are better not too until they have a savings. They justify it buy saying they work hard so they “deserve it” Everyone whom thinks like that needs to look at their finances again. It is so freeing to not have debt and have some savings so that a car repair is not going to make you get evicted.

9. MikeM_inMD says:

My first step is to give myself a pay raise by switching companies. (Yes, I know that’s not an option for everyone.) Then I’m going to try living on the old salary and save the new money.

10. 100-mortgage.com says:

Best way to save money is to stop spending and pay off your debts