It’s like the dot-com boom is finally over. Time Warner is spinning AOL off into its own company once again by the end of the year. AOL will get most of the terrible customer service in the divorce. [Bloomberg]

Comments

1. HasPonies!Envy_GitEmSteveDave says:

So does this mean my AOL stock certificates will be good again? I wonder where the hell those are….

2. Crystal Judy says:

this totally sounds like what Cingular/ATT did… hmmmm…

• Rachacha says:

@Crystal Judy: Maybe in a few years Apple will partner with AOL to provide Dial-up internet access on your phone… or maybe someone will pay AOL $5 for the rights to the “You’ve got mail” wav file and that will be the last valuable asset for the company and they will shut their doors.

I can see the AOL Firesale auction now:
      Lot 492: 700,426 3.5″ floppy diskettes
      Lot 624: 1,254,731 CDs in DVD cases

• Trai_Dep says:

@Rachacha: Although, if you’re thinking of a rock-bottom, crappy product, customer-raping hellhole of a company that AOL would partner with, wouldn’t Dell be a better candidate?
        One can say many things about Apple, but considering they were the first computer company to stop using floppy drives (while the PC fanboys kicked up QUITE a storm about it), cheap, crappy, obsolescence ain’t them.
        Dell, HP, Asus, etc., fit the bill better.

3. Goatweed says:

How is it possible that AOL is still running a business? Can there be that many elderly people out there needing spoon-fed internet?

• Laura Northrup says:

@Goatweed: You’d be surprised.

• Rachacha says:

@Goatweed: My parents just left AOL Dial Up last year. I tried to set my parents up with an Internet Explorer (yeah I know) shortcut and a local mail client to pull their AOL E-mail and their ISP E-mail into a single location. Sadly, my parents STILL do everything through the AOL Home page. For them, if it is not available on AOL, it does not exist on the internet (unless I send them a link)

4. P_Smith says:

AOHell still exists?

5. RobertBaron says:

I was just thinking I needed some new coasters for my coffee table