Tell Eerily Resurrected Circuit City To Step Off In One Easy Step

Just like the ending of a horror movie, Circuit City has gone and plunged its soil-covered claw from its grave. Its site may have new owners, but that doesn’t mean it’s lost all of your tasty personal info.

If you’d like this zombie retailer to forget it ever knew you during its previous life, now is the time to ask it to purge your email address from its mailing list at this policy description page. Reader Kevin tipped us off to the opt-out, so if telling the new Circuit City “it’s not you, it’s me” saves you from getting your virtual brain eaten by an undead menace, you’ll have him to thank.

(Photo:TrailofTerror)

Comments

1. whyerhead says:

but the prices.. they’re so… low… can’t stopppp ordering!

2. Can'tReadEnglish_GitEmSteveDave says:

Hey, I’m not complaining. I just got a rebate check from them. Better late than never, rite?

3. onapartyock says:

So, Tiger Direct has how many personalities now?

• sn1per420 says:

@onapartyock: As far as I can tell, Systemax now has 3 faces: Tiger Direct, Circuit City, and CompUSA.

• YourTechSupport says:

@onapartyock: I can’t blame them. Circuit City makes sense for drawing in more ‘regular-average’ customers. I can’t wait to see them bring the old Circuit charm back by jacking the prices and throwing a wrench or five into the ordering system.

Disclaimer: I loves me some Systemax.

• Trai_Dep says:

@onapartyock: As many as your typical split-personality, ax-wielding psychokiller. They have to keep up with the Joneses, after all.

4. chiieddy says:

Page errors out.

5. bohemian says:

I started getting emails from the “new” Linens N Things a few weeks ago. Whomever bought that obviously has at least some of the businesses customer data.

6. Ragman says:

Where’s the wooden stake or shotgun icon?

Yeah, it’s pretty much standard with websites now – the only thing to survive bankruptcy or nuclear explosion will be cockroaches and your personal data.

I’m still waiting on my confirmation email.

7. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

Can you “plunge” upward? I’m thinking the claw “thrust” from the grave. (/editor)

Anyway, CC had enough trouble not emailing me when they were still alive. I’d opt out and then a week later, bam, here’s a new email marketing campaign. They would decide I wanted this new email, since I couldn’t have previously opted out, since it didn’t exist. That corpse had zombie tendencies all along.

• MooseOfReason says:

@larrymac: Right, I was thinking about that:

“-verb (used with object)
      1. to cast or thrust forcibly or suddenly into something, as a liquid, a penetrable substance, a place, etc.; immerse; submerge: to plunge a dagger into one’s heart.”
      [dictionary.reference.com]

8. valen says:

Their “About Us” page explains it all:

These websites’ databases and mailing lists are starting to act like the Hotel California – you can always opt in but you can never truly opt out.

• JeffMc says:

@valen: “On May 19, 2009, selected assets of Circuit City, Inc. were sold to Systemax Inc., including intellectual property (trademarks, patents, etc.), domain names, customer lists, contact information, other customer basic information and other assets”

Anyone have an old copy of Circuit City’s privacy policies? Are they allowed to sell customer information?

• valen says:

@JeffMc: From the October 2007 Privacy Policy

Is information shared with third parties?

We do not rent, sell or exchange your name or other personally-identifiable information to third-party companies for their marketing purposes. We do provide your personal information to reputable organizations that help us to fulfill your order. For example, we use companies to verify and process credit card transactions, to deliver packages, to schedule and perform product installations and to administer service programs. We may share your information with others who help us analyze sales data, maintain our records, and provide other services for Circuit City such as collect site navigation information. We also may share your information with companies that act on our behalf and at our direction to notify you of additional Circuit City products and services. These companies may also conduct customer satisfaction surveys and manage other customer services and benefits for us. In any case, these third parties are not authorized to use your information for any reason other than to perform their contractually assigned functions.

We may be required to disclose your personal information to third parties if necessary to comply with applicable laws, subpoenas or court orders.”

• MooseOfReason says:

@valen: Legally, Systemax isn’t a “third party company”. The “first party” status changed from Circuit City to Systemax.

9. rlee says:

Multiple steps, actually. After you fill in your email address and click, they send you a confirmation email. You click on a link in that, which opens a page where you have to click yet again to finish the process.

10. Anonymous says:

I bought a 25 pack of DVD’s for $.99 and a 4GB Flash Drive for $2.99. Not bad for the New Circuit City website.

I liked the original Circuit City website better.

New Egg is a great website for computer components, but I still use buy.com & pricegrabber.com to gather price information.

I miss to old Circuit City, it was at least competition for Best Buy, I never bought much in the store, I mostly bought stuff online from them. I never experienced the big problems that others complained about Circuit City here on the web, I guess I was lucky, all my experiences at the Saginaw, MI store were good, I aways had help exchanging any deffective product, and good experiences with price matches. Too bad they had poor management at the top in their later years, you can’t do things like that and survive in the market these days.