Madoff Map Shows Geographic Distribution Of Fraud Victims

Data is fun. Check out this map with data about the locations of Bernie Madoff‘s victims, color-coded according to the proximity of victims to each other, and in 3-D. Coooool. (Unless you’re one of the victims represented by those shiny, colorful dots, that is.)

Madoff Map (Via ResourceShelf)

Comments

1. Squeezer99 says:

wow thats pretty cool. look at all the suckers in west palm beach, fl.

2. henwy says:

I heard if you connect all the dots, it forms a giant star of david.

3. zibby says:

Nooooooooo….not Boca!

New York took a big hit for some odd, unknown reason. Can we get some aid out of this?

4. fuzzymuffins says:

North Dakota, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Mississippi appear to have escaped the wrath of madoff

5. skippywasserman says:

Wow, that looks exactly like the heatmap generated by genetic similarity to me. Strangely, none of my relatives – as far as I know, and thankfully – were involved.

I’ll just assume coincidence, thanks.

6. SteveBMD says:

Unless you’re having fun with one datum, I think the correct way to say it is that data are fun. Cool map, though.

7. Snarkysnake says:

The legend on this map is incorrect. It should read ” Map of people that thought that “regular” investing is for suckers and that trusting their money to a secretive “insider” is a lot easier than working.

Longer,but more accurate.Please make a note of this new legend.

8. NigerianScammer says:

Boca Raton represent baby, I knew we were the best at something.

9. Trai_Dep says:

Nice to see that the Bay Area was relatively unscathed, considering its size & wealth.
    San Francisco REPRESENT!!

• Clumber says:

sadly, for many of them Madoff was not a stranger, but an old friend or even a relative. Others were referred to him by friends and relatives. I am sure this was on both the CNBC and the PBS documentaries about him.

Keep in mind, too, that as far as anyone knew he had been certified A-OK by the gubbermint.

Anyone know a method to stow away one’s restrictive sense of ethics in order to run a ponzi scheme just for a few years? It seems like they ALWAYS work, even when a drooling idiot is at the helm.

10. sanjsrik says:

I just think it’s funny, everything your mother ever told you NOT to do, give money to strangers and not ask where it’s going, is exactly what all these people did. Every one of them thought they were in on a scam that the average person didn’t know about.

Turns out they were right.