Find the hidden ingredients lurking in your personal-care products. Think the “Ingredients” section of a product’s label tells you all you need to know? Not so fast. ShopSmart points out that certain chemicals that are considered byproducts of other ingredients may not show up on the label. These include possible carcinogens, such as formaldehyde and 1,4-dioxane. Yum. [ShopSmart]

Comments

1. skwidspawn says:

Shop Smart. Shop S Mart!

2. FrugalFreak says:

[q]Find the hidden ingredients lurking in your personal-care products. + [/b]YUM[/b][/q]

Are people eating the shampoo and drinking the shaving gel?

3. sirwired says:

I would not expect manufacturing byproducts to show up on the label. We certainly don’t for food products… When a food product includes grilled meat, we don’t put in the note “Cooked Beef [Beef, Carbon, Nitrosamines, blah-blah stuff that makes it smell like grilled meat]“

4. humphrmi says:

And doctors will inject botulism into people’s lips for huge sums of money.

5. ShortBus says:

It’s not much of an exaggeration to say that polyethylene glycol is used in almost every personal care product on the market. Neither linked blog or that blog’s source offer any shred of evidence to back the claim that its possibly harmful. But I suppose that sensationalism brings the ad impressions.

6. bennilynn says:

I guess I’m a little confused (probably because it’s late), but when they mean byproducts, are they referring to the chemicals actually in the product itself? Or are the byproducts produced in manufacturing and not in anything the consumer would necessarily come in contact with?

Personally, I’m more concerned with some things that are legal additives – such as Red Dye #40. Whew, do I ever get bad allergic reactions to that crap. It’s banned throughout most of Europe, but try finding cough medicine without that stuff here in the US. Nearly impossible, I tell you! And we use it for no other reason than to make things a pretty, unnatural color of red. What a waste.

But I digress.

7. Keter says:

Thanks for this. I’m always looking for more reliable ways to get harmful chemicals out of my house and body. The linked article has another link, to GreenerChoices.org, that has more information about the adverse actions of these chemicals in the body.