Recent Class Action Lawsuits: Are You Eligible?

We’ve heard about quite a few recent class-action settlements that you just might be eligible for, as well as cute little baby suits still looking for claimants. Products included: energy drinks, name-brand prescription drugs, and zombie microwaves.

Fuze Slenderize
Advertising for Fuze Slenderize energy drinks was allegedly misleading consumers with claims that the drinks would cause appetite suppression and/or weight loss. (Consumerist was suspicious of Fuze’s advertising claims years ago.) If you bought a Slenderize drink between July 16, 2004 and April 6, 2009 (July 16, 2002 and July 15, 2004 in New Jersey) You can claim for fewer than ten bottles without proof of purchase. Fill out the form here. Deadline: July 10, 2009.

T-Moble Early Termination Fees
If you were charged a flat-rate early termination fee instead of a prorated one when canceling your T-Mobile contract between July 23, 1999 and February 19, 2009, you’re eligible. However, you’re also eligible if you happened to be under a T-Mobile contract with a flat-rate ETF during that period, whether you canceled the contract or not. The claim form is located here. Deadline: September 25, 2009.

450 Prescription Drugs
The suit alleges price-fixing among major pharmaceutical companies, and consumers who paid cash (between 8/1/01 and 1/23/09) or percentage-based co-pays (between 8/1/01 and 3/15/05) for any of 450 name-brand drugs (PDF link) are eligible. Evidence such as receipts or a doctor’s letter is recommended, but not required. Get the claim form for your class here. Deadline: July 9, 2009.

Bextra and Celebrex

The suit claims that Bextra (which is now off the market) and Celebrex were marketed in a way that was not consistent with their FDA approval. If you paid cash or a co-pay for Bextra or Celebrex before July 29, 2005, you’re eligible to file a claim. Deadline: October 23, 2009

GE Microwaves (warning: site immediately plays video with sound)
A number of GE microwave owners have experienced scary, scary problems with their appliances, including control panel failures, arcing, fires, pet deaths, property damage, and the microwaves turn themselves on for no reason. They are looking for other people who have experienced similar problems and are interested in a class action suit.

(Thanks to Top Class Actions for some of this info, and our lovely readers for the rest!)

(Photo: muffet)

Comments

1. chauncy that billups says:

Does anyone know WTF happened with the DeBeer’s lawsuit settlement? I filled out the forms…I’m wondering if there were so many applicants that it averaged out to less than $10 / person, which if I recall was the threshold where they didn’t have to actually make a payment to you.

• picantel says:

@bilups:

The last I checked a few months ago it was settled and then about 8 or so people filed objections to the settlement and that pretty much doomed it for the next century.

• ScottHardy says:

@bilups: As Picantel mentioned this was challenged. There’s no firm date as to when it will be resolved, but, the hope is that this will happen by the end of next year. I personally submitted a rather large claim for this class action lawsuit so I’m hopeful it wraps up soon!

Warm Regards,
      Scott
      President and CEO of Top Class Actions LLC
      [www.TopClassActions.com]

2. bluewyvern says:

Any idea what the Fuze settlement entails? I’m sure I bought a bottle, and I’m pretty sure of the store, but the date would have to be a guess…so what would I be getting?

This kind of roundup is much appreciated. Class action settlements are often a farce, going only to punish the company and reward the lawyers with very little going to the public at all — in some cases, worse than nothing with coupons and credits that just end up MAKING money for the company. But they’re even more ridiculous when nobody even hears about them, so spread the word.

Also, could you put a note that the link with the drug list is a pdf? Gave my browser a bit of the hiccups and I’m just using Foxit…I know surprise pdf links are a HUGE pain if you unsuspectingly click on one and launch Adobe…

• Laura Northrup says:

@bluewyvern: Sure, I’ll put in a warning. My computer just downloads them and throws them on my desktop, so I forget what a hassle they can be for other people.

• sam1am says:

@bluewyvern: I know I’ve purchased at least 10 bottles of Fuze since 2004. I drink it fairly often. I just guessed at the dates, filing two purchases for varying amounts.

The affirmation down at the bottom doesn’t make you swear your dates are correct, just that the drinks were purchased between those dates.

Being able to remember every date you ever purchased a Fuze would be nothing short as a miracle, as is evidenced by this news story:

• EarlNowak says:

@bluewyvern: Looks like the settlement is 50¢ per bottle you purchased. If you don’t have receipts, it’s a max of $5.

• bohemian says:

@bluewyvern: Like the TJMAXX settlement? Coupons and not even good ones are hardly compensation for having my debt card data stolen and having my card shut down without me knowing it by my bank.

• RvLeshrac says:

@bohemian:

Class-action suit payouts are related to the terms of the settlement and, in the case of a cash settlement, the amount and number of claims. Some claims (like the Fuze claim) are fixed at a specific amount, while others (the drug claim) will be fixed once the settlement is finalized and the number of claims are in.

For the CD price-fixing lawsuit, I claimed two discs, and got $20 back. 3 years later. But, hey, surprise money is awesome. It took me an hour or two just to figure out that a) it wasn’t a scam and b) WTF it was for.

• MustyBuckets says:

@bluewyvern: I know it’s a little off topic, but I recommend getting rid of Adobe and installing foxit. It’s a much faster loading and easier to use PDF reader that works in browser and out.

And it’s free –
      [www.foxitsoftware.com]

3. dianabanana says:

Is the T-Mobile one just for New Jersey?

4. Andrew Dorsett says:

Hmm, I have bought plenty of Fuze Slenderize drinks during that time. But is it morally wrong to be part of this if I was fully aware that this would do nothing for appetite suppressing or weight loss? I bought them because they were tasty and low in calories. Eh, already filled out the form.

5. bibliophibian says:

Small detail – the one with the list of 450 drugs is for people who paid cash or paid a percentage-based copay. If you have the type of copay that most people I know have, where you pay a flat rate based on what “tier” a given drug is in, you’re not eligible. If you pay, say, 10% or 20% of the cost of the drug, or 100% (of course), then you are.

• bohemian says:

@bibliophibian: There is a ton of commonly prescribed drugs on that list. Just the short period of time we had no insurance coverage resulted in a few of those that qualify on the cash payment side.

• bibliophibian says:

@bohemian: Yep, there were several on there that I had at least one prescription for – then I realized it’s % only and I was sad. I pay % for my doctors’ visits, but the drug copays are still flat $ amounts based on tier. Dangit! And I think I missed the Bextra/Celebrex window by a year or so.

• henwy says:

@bibliophibian:

Ya, saw that after I went through the list of drugs. Oh well. I know I took a couple rounds of celebrex so at least there’s that one.

6. RodolfoRabulous says:

I qualify for the drug one but cannot find a claim form. Help!

• bibliophibian says:

@RodolfoRabulous: For the one with the 450 drugs, if you click the “header” of the paragraph (“450 Prescription Drugs) it takes you to a website where you you are asked to ‘click here’ for consumer co-pay, consumer cash-pay, or third party payor. When you click on either of the consumer links, there is a sidebar menu on the left and the third option on both is “Claim form.”

For the Bextra and Celebrex one, clicking the “file a claim” at the end of the paragraph takes you to the online claim form.

7. rlee says:

Coincidentally, I just received mail today about one against Nationwide Insurance. Only people who had a claim for structural repair which required a general contractor supervising 3 or more others need apply.

While we’re on the subject, whatever happened to the one against credit card companies for their foreign transaction fees? I sent in the form ages ago, and … nothing.

• Dustbunny says:

@rlee:

I’ve been wondering about the credit card suit too — I also filled out the firms – I even had dates and receipts for when I was overseas. It’s been so long since I mailed everything in, I’ve moved twice since then.

8. HogwartsAlum says:

Man, that microwave thing is SCARY.

• Chmeeee says:

@HogwartsAlum: I actually had the problem they describe with a GE Microwave made in 1998, starting about a year ago. It would turn on when I closed the door, even though no cooking settings had been entered (in fact, the display was showing the clock, meaning it should be off).

I dealt with it like that for a week or so (you would just have to keep trying to close the door until it closed without turning on). The last straw was when I was walking through the kitchen and it just turned on. Holy shit! Plug came out of the wall post-haste!

I figured that it had served well over 10 years, so I looked at new GEs briefly on Amazon and was frightened to see people complaining of new units doing the EXACT SAME THING. You think they’d figure this shit out in 10 years. LG for me.

• RedwoodFlyer says:

@HogwartsAlum: I flat out refuse GE microwaves, and made the seller of our old house replace the existing GE over range one – and it had nothing to do with this thing. Most GE microwaves have this annoying “feature” that makes it go “BEEP” every 30 seconds when it’s done – it’s like water torture when someone cooks something and walks away to do something else for awhile!

9. JulesNoctambule says:

Well, colour me surprised — the only prescription drug I take is on the list! Now how do I get in on this?

10. Geekmom says:

I was on Zofran for 6 months in 2004 and off and on since. I have bad reactions to the other nausea medications. This stuff is terribly expensive. I can’t see where this claim form is that McKessonAWPSettlement site talks about.

• H3ion says:

@Geekmom: Go to the McKesson AWP settlement web site (use the link in the story). Select the class you’re in. That will take you to a notice page. The claim form is accessible from a menu on the left side of the page.

11. Anonymous says:

Costco has also a class action against them: http://www.costco.com/renewalsettlement.pdf

12. KerriNiger says:

It might be helpful to note in your article that this prescription class action lawsuit is NOT for people who paid flat-rate co-pays (i.e. $20 per brand, $10 per generic), but rather for people who paid a percentage based co-pay.

13. gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

i’m sorry, PET DEATHS? how?

PRO TIP: the microwave is not a good place to keep your hamster.

i’ve had my current GE microwave since mid 2002 when it was installed, and about a year ago the turntable started making a loud grinding noise, then stopped working entirely. (now it doesn’t work, but still makes the grinding noise about 80% of the time)

14. wishing upon says:

There’s the iPod nano class action lawsuit, too.

[www.ipodnanosettlement.com]

15. starrion says:

I haven’t been able to find out anything about when the debeer’s settlement will progress. How many years will that appeal to the settlement actually take anyway?

16. Wendy Sloan says:

My coworker had the same problem with her Cuisinart microwave. Seems that the more sophisticated the microwave is, the more likely it’s gonna turn on by itself a la Maximum Overdrive.

The Tmobile settlement gives you a choice of the following:
    extra 50 call minutes per month for 3 months
    extra 200 txt msgs per month for 3 months
    7 days hotspot access.

17. Joe Bastone says:

There is also a class action lawsuit from Costco regarding how memberships were renewed.
    [www.costco.com]

18. parrotuya says:

I have been a part of several class-action suits. I can assure you all that the only ones getting rich are the blood-sucking lawyers who initiate them.

smallest settlement: $1.63 from Allstate

second smallest settlement: $2.35 from Ucarco (remember them?)

largest settlement: 1 free CD from Columbia House ~ $10

DOWn, baby, DOWn!

• RedwoodFlyer says:

@parrotuya: I got $55 from the Airborne settlement…

• ScottHardy says:

@parrotuya: I’d recommend checking out Top Class Actions. There are multiple open settlements right now that would allow you make a claim which could REALLY boost those numbers. You’ll be surprised what you may be eligible to claim.
      [www.topclassactions.com]
      There are multiple settlements open right now covering prescription drugs. Those could amount to hundreds of dollars per person if you’re eligible.

Warm Regards,
      Scott
      President of Top Class Actions
      [www.TopClassActions.com]

19. nukee says:

I got one today about bluetooth headsets. Apparently the manufacturers didn’t warn me about the risk of hearing loss from using the product.

On a related note, when the fuck did common sense fly out the window?

20. thelushie says:

There were commercials awhile back concerning Heparin. I first saw it while sitting in the hospital room watching my mom have a Heparin drip put in.

21. Winteridge2 says:

You forgot to include the financial market. I once had some retirement monies “invested” with Merrill Lynch, and I constantly get mailers from them with this or that firm being sued for misrepresenting/cheating/scamming. I did it once; filled out 10 pages, signed and notarized, and finally got back a check for $2.25 on a multi-million $ settlement. Almost paid the postage. Now I throw them all out.