Craigslist-Bought PS2 Doubles As Roach Motel

Posting on a Gametrailers Forum, gamer VictoriousOne tells a horror story of buying a PS2 on Craigslist, played it for weeks until it broke, then opened it up to find a bunch of roaches inside.

As gross as this sh*t is, we gotta give this PS2 credit for lasting so long, and for possibly being the only system on earth to ever house some dirty little cockroaches!

That’s not counting the cockroaches that are infested deep down in the PS2. I still didn’t even open the cover that shows the motherboard…and I don’t think I want to. That’s also not counting the cockroaches that fell on the carpet while opening up the system!

What’s extremely weird and disturbing is the fact that this PS2 was always being used. The guy I bought it from told me that it’s always been in his kids’ room and it was always being played until they bought a Wii…two days before I bought it from them on craigslist!

Which means some other guy will likely be buying an iinfested Wii on Craigslist at some point, provided the seller’s kids don’t get bored with it before a family of roaches is able to make itself at home.

GameTrailers Forum [GameTrailers, via Destructoid]
(Photo: VictoriousOne)

Comments

1. nakedscience says:

” and for possibly being the only system on earth to ever house some dirty little cockroaches!”

Doubt it. Roaches LOVE warm electronics.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

@nakedscience: Whenever I get new electronics, I always see ants around them until the sweet chemical plastic smells dissipate.

I can totally understand the appeal, personally.

• kateblack says:

@nakedscience: Seconded.

German cockroaches (the ones pictured) are also known as “TV roaches” because they love to live inside TV sets and other small electronics. It’s why I won’t buy them used.

It’s also common enough that most electronics companies void warranties in cases of infestation. Roach frass is corrosive.

• nakedscience says:

@kateblack: I’m battling a roach problem right now (I’ll be moving soon; it’s not me, but neighbors…sigh, neverending). When I move, I’ll be getting a huge U-Haul (or whatever) and bombing the SHIT OUT OF EVERYTHING. Twice.

• kateblack says:

@nakedscience: I sympathize. I live in Brooklyn. ‘Nuff said.

Poison bombs can create resistence — you’ll just have tougher roaches that survive.

I recommend diatomaceous earth. It’s a mechanical killer, which means it never expires or loses effectiveness. It’s like razor wire for roaches, ants, house centipedes, bedbugs, etc. It nicks their exoskeletons and they dehydrate to death within 48 hours. It’s also non-toxic to humans and animals. FDA allows it as an additive (up to 2%) to grain, to keep bugs out.

And since moving into this place w/ grody neighbors, try to keep everything in airtight containers. Glass jars & acrylic bins for foods. Cake savers for stacks of dishes. A huge hermetic jar for cutlery. Giant multi-gallon ziplock bags for small kitchen appliances.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@kateblack:

Does that stuff work on slugs? I can’t put poison out for them because of the kitteh, and I refuse to buy beer for the little nasties.

• tdatl says:

@nakedscience: I think it’s quite common in homes that aren’t kept clean. My company has mostly remote workers, and we send PCs to many of them. We once had a worker quit, and she sent her PC back to the office. It was full of both live and dead roaches. We ended up having to bring in exterminators because before checked the PC, some got out and we ended up with an office infestation.

• nakedscience says:

@tdatl: It’s not even always about keeping them clean. I try, and I fail. Roaches are a BITCH to get rid of. If they find ONE food source, they will take over. In a very old building where the roaches have long lived (much longer than I’ve lived there), they pretty much rule. You can maybe keep them at bay, for a while, but they will never go completely away.

@kateblack: Thanks for that tip! I’ve used Boric acid, but I can’t keep it around my cats (they are another reason I can’t use a lot of sprays). I try to keep a tight lid on my food.

Dude, they even survive microwave blasts. That was a fun one to learn last night. Sigh.

Can’t wait to move! I’m bombing that u-haul TWICE so as not to bring them to my new place.

• WorldHarmony says:

@tdatl: It’s not only about clean homes- that is a stereotype. In some locales, when it’s hotter than Hades roaches will escape the heat by entering homes. This is a rude awakening for folks who think this sort of thing only happens to Other People.

• Timothy Conard says:

@kateblack: Gotta love evolution.

2. GuJiaXian says:

So, the system had buggy hardware?

3. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

The PS2 I picked up from Craiglist just had a bunch of gross looking women asking for several hundred roses each. Dunno what that’s all about.

4. tbax929 says:

Gross. I hate, hate, hate bugs. It would have immediately gone in the trash.

5. Owen Yun says:

First time I’ve actually heard about roaches in a PS2. Ugh, disgusting little things. Even though they are not as creepy as house centipedes.

• Jim Topoleski says:

@Owen Yun: I’d take the house centipedes over roaches HANDS DOWN. Least with the centipedes you know you dont have ants or roaches (they eat them, they are one of those beneficial bugs that eat pests.)

But I bet you cave crickets have both beat. My wifes parents house had a real issues with those. Nasty little things that look like miniature versions of the soldier bugs from Starship Troopers.

• babyruthless says:

@Jim Topoleski: Y’all just need to move to Texas. Here we have these translucent lizard things that move in and eat all the bugs. They kick ass.

• nataku8_e30 says:

@babyruthless: We also have tree roaches. At least they don’t reproduce inside, but they’re awfully hard to keep from coming in, especially for something so large.

• kbrook says:

@nataku83: A friend once claimed his cat got chased out of his house in Florida by a roach. Having seen the roaches that live in Louisiana, I don’t doubt it. At all. I HATE bugs. yech.

• bibliophibian says:

@babyruthless: And in WEST Texas, we have these:
          [www.elaynocentricity.com]
          which, in turn, eat those translucent lizard things. Yay?

That camel spider kept me awake all night with the heebie-jeebie-itching-twitches. It’s been more than two weeks, and I still do a ceiling-and-floor scan of every room I walk into, and shake out the shower curtain before turning the water on.

My son is leaving for two months for the summer, and I’m going to be taking the dogs and the cats and me to a motel for a weekend, and bombing the SHIT out of this house. I should have done it when we moved in last year, but I thought just a regular pesticide treatment would be enough – no, this place needs bombs, BIG bombs, lots of them. If it’s not spiders, it’s ants. If it’s not ants, it’s centipedes*. If it’s not centipedes, it’s crickets. I don’t see too many roaches, but I know they’re there. **shudder**

*~Six inch long centipedes: [www.elaynocentricity.com]

• CaffiendCA says:

@babyruthless: My grandmother lived in Dallas, and had a section of her house she couldn’t get to that had a big old TV. She had roaches that had about a six inch spread of antenna, with a pretty big 4 inch or so body. Scared the living shit out of me. Everything’s big in Texas, indeed.

• rpm773 says:

@Jim Topoleski: We have a few of those jumping around. They’re unpleasant, but they mainly stay in the cellar…except when they climb into the plaster walls and start singing. Grrr.

• econobiker says:

@Owen Yun: Yeah house centipedes do look like aliens- my wife cornered/killed one the other day and it freaked her to no end.

I hate cave crickets too as I had a home with a basement with them in it.

My sister in California said that potato bugs were the most evil of huge azzed bugs though I have never seen one.

• ellastar says:

@econobiker: Yes, potato bugs are HORRID. Ugh, makes me shudder just thinking about them. I always found them in the garage. Luckily I haven’t run across one in years.

• WorldHarmony says:

@Owen Yun:I’ve never had house centipedes but we did have millipedes after every rain. Those are AWFUL- very fast (what with all them legs) and able to slither under the narrowest things to escape.

6. rpm773 says:

FTA: REMEMBER: This isn’t my system! I bought this from someone on craigslist! I have a clean house and a very clean room!

Heh. You mean you did.

7. pythonkid says:

I used to live in a house that had roaches really bad. When I moved out, I packed all my electronics into black plastic bags, and kept them in my car for a couple weeks. it was august, so it got really hot. Any roaches inside the electronics were cooked.

• babyruthless says:

@pythonkid: As were the electronics? A cross country trip with a keyboard in the back dash has been enough for Mr Ruthless to fry the keyboard. Twice.

• nakedscience says:

@pythonkid: Er, roaches love, love warm weather, man.

Your best bet would have been to get a u haul or something and bomb the shit out of ‘em, which is what i’ll be doing.

• emis says:

@nakedscience:

…get a u haul or something and bomb the shit out of ‘em, which is what i’ll be doing.

I’m imaging a U-Haul parked in some random lot with bug-bomb “smoke” pouring out from every crevasse… and the inevitable SWAT / bomb squad team showing up to what must be a terrorist cell truck-bomb :-P

8. ezacharyk says:

I used to work for a rent to own business (I was in college and hated every minute I worked there. Such a bad deal) and we would get computers, tvs and stereos back that were infested with roaches. Disgusting stuff. All electronics had to be fumigated upon return.

Also, when living at my Mom’s house, she had a roach infestation and they were living behind my phone charger that I had left in a wall socket for several weeks. They love those warm electronics.

• econobiker says:

@ezacharyk: I worked with a lady who said the same thing about a rent to own place she had just prior worked at. She said that they would leave the returned or repo’ed vcrs/tvs/stereos outside on the back dock and spray them with something and the roaches would flood out.

Ick!

9. downwithmonstercable says:

That is absolutely horrifying. I f’ing hate cockroaches. I would burn that PS2 in a fire, and then go back and throw it through the guy’s window who sold it to me. Bleh I’m a little freaked out just thinking about the possibility of cockroaches inconspicuously living in my 360.

10. Steve Rhode says:

Roaches are attracted to the dark and warm electronics inside and will leave all sorts of disgusting stuff on them. This situation is unfortunate but could easily happen to anyone.

I spotted this question online “Roaches are living in my electronics!! My phone, computer, printer, gamecube, you name it, there living in it :( How in the world do I get them out of there and kill them without ruining my stuff?” You are not alone.

11. sir_pantsalot says:

Since the topic is roaches and bugs does anyone have any tips for getting rid of them? I am purchasing a house this summer and the two houses I am looking at were built in 1970 and both have been vacant for some time. I am planning on using some raid smoke bombs but does anyone have any other tips?

• downwithmonstercable says:

@sir_pantsalot: Exterminator? Also, pest control places can spray a barrier around the house to help prevent future bugs from entering.

• econobiker says:

@sir_pantsalot: Those homes shouldn’t have alot of roachs if vacant and not occupied recently especially if these were “~cleaned~”. Get the pro exterminator if you are freaked about bugs before spending money on bug bombs. Vacant homes would have more issues with spiders, wasp/mud daubers and nests, etc

If it does have roaches and you want to kill them #1 think like a roach. Figure out where the warm places with food debris would be and super clean these spaces- under stove, refrigerator, under dish washer, under cabinets if accessable. Seal all wall/trim/cabinet cracks around stove,refrig/washer-dryer,dishwasher (if accessible) to cabinets and walls with caulk- who cares if you are renting spend the money and buy caulk to rid yourself of roaches. Sometimes you can get boric acid powder under the cabinet through a plumbing crack, or under the kick plate. Treat areas not accessible to kids /pets with boric acid powder. Make sure of no leaks in plumbing or refrigerator water/ice lines. Do not leave pet food out longer than your pet needs to eat it, seal all pet food up in plastic tubs. One time I did have to keep my dry non-canned food in the refrigerator for a couple of months until I killed the roaches but that was a minor blip for me.

I have moved into several apartments with mild to medium infestations along with treating a 80 year old college class studio/ hallway space (in Central Alabama- now those were BIG roaches!) and have always won agains roaches with -hyper cleanliness- and boric acid powder sometimes in spite of and sometimes combined with the ineffective commercial exterminator treatment. Unless you are living next to or over/under a garbage apartment, you can defeat roaches. Anyone who says you cannot (excepting the garbage apartment proximity) doesn’t know how to be realy clean.

• Powerlurker says:

@econobiker:

Yeah, with most pest infestations, isolation and prevention is a significant part of keeping vermin out. I used to have problems with weevils in my flour and rice and since I started storing both in airtight containers I haven’t seen them in over a year.

• kateblack says:

@econobiker: I would second everything you said EXCEPT boric acid.

For boric acid (Borax) to work, you have to get the roaches to eat it, which generally means mixing with something sweet/sticky like sugar. This can attract more roaches and other types of bugs, as well as small mammals — like family pets who you won’t want to eat Borax. Boric acid is mildly toxic, so it’s not such a big problem for adult humans, but can be for children and pets.

Diatomaceous earth is completely non-toxic and it’s a mechanical killer. You don’t have to get insects to eat it — they just have to walk through it and they’ll die. Available for about $1/lb from garden centers and breweries. (They use it to filter beer.)

• HogwartsAlum says:

@sir_pantsalot:

Buy this stuff called Bengal roach spray. You can get it online and some hardware stores might have it. You can spray it and you won’t see anything for like six months to a year. I used it on an apartment I lived in that had roaches in the AIR CONDITIONER.

It has a regular spray and also comes in a dry spray.

12. Papercutninja says:

i wonder how often the microsoft service centers see this happening? I just got my 360 back from them. Although the 360 gets so hot it could cook off any roaches hidden inside.

13. Dafrety says:

Oh god oh god I would have started hyperventilating right then and there.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Dafrety: Me too. And that PS2 would have gone out the door, and I’d be screaming.

• econobiker says:

@pecan 3.14159265: Do not ever watch any of the Discovery Channel Verminator series if you are freaked on this. Worst one for me was the gal that bought a bedset via an un-named local sales website (craigslist) which was infested with bedbugs! The bad thing was that she icked out and dragged the bed out to the dumpster which the guy said could have then spread the bugs around her apartment more!!!

Gross bug stories to listen to:
        [dsc.discovery.com]

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@Dafrety: I wasn’t expecting to read that this was so common with electronics.

NIGHTMARE FUEL FOR FOREVER

14. Outrun1986 says:

Oh god this is one of my fears when buying used systems since I buy a lot of systems from yard sales. I am in the northeast though so roaches aren’t a huge problem here. There are probably very few houses that are infested with roaches. I guess to be safe the best thing to do would be to open the system up on the porch to make sure that you aren’t letting whatever bugs are inside the system into your house. I always clean whatever I bring home from a yard sale as soon as I get it, unless its something that obviously doesn’t attract bugs.

• econobiker says:

@Outrun1986: I would open the system to blow it out with canned air and you would see them if they were in it. The Northeast is better for a lack of roaches in general due to the winters…

• sponica says:

@econobiker: except NYC….we’re a roach haven. park avenue, brooklyn, it doesn’t matter.

but i’d much rather have roaches than bedbugs….

• econobiker says:

@sponica: Yeah I know cities. I wrote “in general” to give myself an out as most suburbs are roach free. One of my earliest roach battles was when I lived in an apartment in Elizabeth, NJ. It wsa a battle that paled upon living in Central Alabama with its huge primordial roach denizens so large that you slid when you stepped on them…

• kateblack says:

@econobiker: Haha!

I had a run-in with one of those in a southern antique-dealer’s home. I thought I was setting my drink down on a coaster, until the coaster ran towards me.

I’d actually rather deal with the American Cockroach (euphemistically referred to as “palmetto bugs”) than the German cockroaches. While the Americans are disconcerting because of their size, the German ones are much more insidious and destructive. The smell is like nothing else… Far worse than being divebombed by an American roach.

15. ErwinDeimachus says:

Not uncommon, back in the 90’s I worked in a very large electronics repair shop in Atlanta. We used to do a lot of VCR and microwaves that were infested with roaches. Usually you could SMELL them when a customer brought them in. My supervisor was a lead tech and I laughed when I some him waving his hand over the vents…”yep, it’s a roach job” he said as a VCR sat there on the bench with a complaint of not powering up.

Sure enough, removing the cover revealed literally dozens of roach carcasses, some still alive- all over the PCB’s, in the transport…the culprit of the failure was one that shorted out the switching power supply when it crawled across two points on the board. So, he would use a can of RAID to get any living ones out, then clean (as best as possible) the dead ones out, replaced a fuse on the power supply board, do a bench check and on the invoice he put “thorough cleaning and re-calibration”. He never had the heart to tell people they were living in a roach motel! And you would be amazed how many of these critter keepers came from affluent parts of the city like Buckhead- not Bankhead…so it wasn’t the ghetto folks bringing them in, you’d be surprised at the clientele.

Microwaves that we would fix often got zapped by roaches inside when they short out the magnetron, usually the customer would know as they would be using it and hear a loud pop as one would electrocute itself when crawling across the high voltage line leading to the tube. Roach infested electronics usually have a telltale urine smell, very distinct. If you hold a suspect piece of equipment to your nose and smell pee-pee, chances are it has been a roach haven. Often times you can see the feces (looks like little brown or black specs) on the item itself, usually near the vents or openings but often opening the housing reveals the most disgusting places where roaches “relieve themselves”. Sorry but just something to keep in mind when getting used electronics. Cable and satellite TV set top boxes are prime candidates: lots of vents, warm and dry, and are passed from home to home. Check them out before the cable guy leaves, he may have just dropped off some new tenants in your home!

16. sn0zc0r3 says:

I used to work at a gamestop a few years ago and someone traded in a dirty, dirty xbox. It worked just fine, but this thing was pretty nasty; dusty, grimey, ick. So, we bought it and placed it in the back so we could box it up later to send it back to the warehouse to get it cleaned up (or at least that’s what I think we did. That’s what my manager said was going to happen). Well, at one point during the day, one of my coworkers notcied that roaches we’re coming out of the thing in spades.

We wrapped the console up in tape, but it in a box, wrapped the BOX in tape, and wrote “ROACHES!!!” on the box and sent it off to whatever warehouse it was supposedly going to.

Goddamn disgusting.

17. pieoncar says:

Years ago, I picked a Super Nintendo out of the garbage because I wanted to see what was inside of it (I had a SNES that worked fine in the house). I’m glad that I decided to (or maybe my mom made me) open it up in the driveway, because it sure enough had roaches in it.

Anyway, reading this article and these comments pretty much ensures that I will never buy used electronics ever again.

18. JeanStork says:

I had worked at Geek Squad for like 4 years… ive seen so many people with Roach Motels in their PCs… If i opened the case and saw one roach, we’d bag the PC up, call the customer, and send it home… Thats just SICK!!

Makes me not want to craigslist ever again lol

• Michael Belisle says:

@JeanStork: Guess I’ll be taking my hypothetical computer to the above “large electronics repair store” instead, where they’ll fix it anyway.

Did you still charge the customer for looking at it? Knowing Geek Squad, I’d imagine there was a consultation fee ($35), a “OMG! Disgusting!” fee ($50), and a repair refused fee ($25). Total cost for Geek Squad to do nothing: $110 + tax.

19. Anonymous says:

I used to work for Sony in the early 2000s doing tech support for the PSone and the PS2. Quite often a person would send their PS2 in for repair and the tech would open it up only to see it swarming with cockroaches or spiders. Also, damage by urine (pet or otherwise) was a common occurrence.

20. temporaryerror says:

Another way that you can get a roach problem in your home is bringing home boxes from warehouse clubs (such as Sam’s, where you don’t get bags, but they provide old boxes for you to use). I think that the roaches are attracted to the glue, or whatever was in the box and they lay eggs. You bring the box home, toss it in the corner and within a few days baby roaches start appearing.

• kateblack says:

@temporaryerror: True. Just so that people know what they’re looking for, [www.flickr.com] .

An ootheca (roach egg sack) is about 1/4″ to 1/2″ long, and rectangular. Roaches will carry them on their abdomen until the larvae are almost large enough to survive on their own, at which point the momma roach will deposit the egg case on/near a source of food. Generally, they hatch out in 1-3 days. So yes, inspect these things immediately.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@temporaryerror:

Another reason to bring your own cloth bags.

21. albokay says:

i work for a cable company and I go into houses all the time where the boxes are infested with roaches. You move the box and they scatter. The thing that is even worse is that the roaches just crawl on the walls in plain view and the owners dont give a rats ass about it. Its like the roaches are supposed to be there. They dont care, they just want a new box.

• WorldHarmony says:

@albokay: I wouldn’t call it not caring as much as giving up. You learn to live with what you feel powerless over sometimes. Sad but true.

22. ScarletsWalk says:

OMG I am terrified of bugs. Now I am going to be afraid of even more things.

And I’m going to have that creepy, crawly feeling all day…. shiver.

23. akronharry says:

Don’t toss them out. These are the fat, juicy ,and plump type…..perfect for eating!
    Recipe:
    Tape them down to cookie sheet (Careful….they bite really hard) and bake at 450 for ten minutes…..yummy

24. Anonymous says:

He could kill the roaches by putting it in a big ziplock bag and throwing it in the freezer overnight. Make sure it reaches room temp before opening the ziplock again to avoid condensation screwing up the PS2.

How badly does this guy want to play? They won’t do any real harm, if there’s just that number of dead roaches in the PS2. However, I’m guessing he’s already disposed of it.

25. Vastarien202 says:

Sometimes, there is NOTHING you can do to get rid of bugs.
    I live in an apartment complex which has had little to no upkeep since it was built around 1972. There is lead paint everywhere, mold in the walls, unsafe railings, and tons of bugs. Thankfully the huge ones are only outside.
    My neighbor one tried to get rid of his by using one roach bomb a day for one week. The bugs were gone for exactly twenty-four hours. It’s a losing battle that will only end in poisoning ourselves, so we just make sure that anything edible is properly sealed in air-tight containers, and pay attention while things are being cooked. That’s really all you can do once a problem is this entrenched. Getting rid of all cardboard boxes was a good idea, we have seen a huge decrease in them since we did that.
    For those who wonder why we haven’t left this sh–t hole, there is nowhere else we can go. It’s here or the street, and while the street may be better from a health standpoint, I prefer a roof over my head and a lock on my door.

26. MissPeacock says:

This entire thread gives me the willies. I *hate* roaches.

27. AstridWoodpecker says:

Cockroaches love electronics, plenty of hiding places and nice and warm. Tv’s, radios, telephones, wall clocks, stereos and yes even game consoles.

If it is an electric item encased in plastic it is quite possibly for cockroaches to survive inside.

Having said all this, it is normally in a place that has a cockroach infestation. They don’t just seek out a ps2 to jump inside of, the ps2 was in a room/house that already had a cockroach problem.

My job: exterminator for 12 years.

28. thewriteguy says:

If anything, this is another good reason why you should unplug your electronics, even if the devices are switched off — you should make absolutely certain that the device is not drawing in minimal power even in its off state.

29. Syntania says:

Ah yes, I know the pain of this all too well. After living for years in a roach-infested apartment complex (not my fault guys, the roaches lived in the walls of the entire place, bombing just brought them out in spades and the slumlord who owned it refused to tent and fog), by the time I moved, every single electronic device I owned housed a roach colony. It was surreal seeing roaches inside the face of my digital alarm clock.

30. chemmy says:

And I have a buyer for my unused PS2 (roach & bug free)