New Jersey: Sorry, We Mailed Your SSN To Some Random Companies

Oh, human error. New Jersey has announced that an unknown number of unemployed residents had their personal information shared with companies they never worked for.

From the NJ.com:

Those who received warnings were told the state had no way of knowing whether their information was sent incorrectly.

“This letter is to inform you that due to an error at the Department of Labor and Workforce Development your name and Social Security number may have been accidentally delivered to an employer for which you did not work,” the letter reads.

The mistake came because, due to the staggering amount of layoffs in New Jersey, quarterly reports listing former employees who were receiving unemployment benefits were, in some cases, too long and had to be stuffed by hand.

Some lists got stuffed into the wrong envelopes. The error was discovered when seven companies reported receiving the wrong list of names.

N.J. accidentally reveals personal data of 28K unemployed residents [NJ]
(Photo:gumbyliberation)

Comments

1. Irish Lion says:

Uh, oops?

2. Skankingmike says:

Yea NJ you stay classy

3. RandomHookup says:

So the solution would be to layoff some envelope stuffers?

4. CrowMignon says:

Perhaps there will be some new careers available in the lucrative credit-monitoring industry?

5. Eldritch says:

Goddammit, NJ. Stop sucking.

That’s it, I’m moving back to Long Island.

6. AtConsumeristPanel_GitEmSteveDave says:

Great, that’s all I need. Yet another company taking taxes out of me. I blame you Corzine!

7. TheFuzz53 says:

Good old NJ state employees. Overpaid and underworked with absolute job security, annual raises for breathing, and benefits until the day they die.

• salvatorecondegni says:

@TheFuzz53: Actually, the excellent benefits is what keeps employees. Some are also in unions which would account for annual raises and benefits. It’s not so much NJ i’d blame.

• joellevand says:

@TheFuzz53: Wow, yes, the $30k a year I make is SOOOOO much more than I deserve while monitoring your deadbeat ex (and several hundred more) to make sure he pays your child support on time and making sure a bench warrant issues if he doesn’t.

I would really appreciate it if those who’ve never had a state job would stop acting as if they knew what the judiciary, DYFS, and other government organizations (who, OMG, are state employees!) did. Because you’d quit if you had to do my job for my pay. Trust me. I only stay for the medical benefits.

• joellevand says:

Let me make that clear:

$30k/year
      After 4 years
      With a bachelor’s degree.
      Working 40+ hours a week, no overtime

Yup, I’m totally overpaid. Hell, I made more as a retail store manager, and at least then I got a discount!

(Note: I’m not complaining about my job. I like my job. I like that I help fathers and mothers put food on the table and clothes on their backs. I’m just tired of people bitching that state workers such as me are lazy, good-for-nothing slobs that could be replaced by homeless people and you’d get the same quality work. And our union does jack shit to challenge that reputation, which leave me — and many of my colleagues — as angry as the taxpayers about the unions. Are there bad state employees that the union protects above all others? Absolutely. But the majority of us are hard working, loyal employees who could make more in the private sector but would rather work some place that has some job security and health benefits. Of course, take that away, and I’m moving out of state, because I don’t even want to imagine the caliber of workers you’d have if you paid them what the vocal minority of tax payers would like.)

• sponica says:

@joellevand: I feel your pain. My mom’s a teacher….which apparently makes her incompetent because as the saying goes, “those who can’t do, teach” and apparently it’s the easiest job in the world with awesome hours. Right. That’s why I NEVER saw her when I was growing up…or maybe it was all the committees she sat on to earn more stipends because she decided to teach in a lower income rural school that didn’t pay as much. Now she teaches HS english there and this year made all her students apply to one college. Not exactly following her job description, but if she wasn’t, you’d end up with hicks who never left the town they grew up in.
        I may complain, but she wouldn’t have it any other way. There’s something refreshing about the people who wake up in the morning, and GASP, love their jobs despite the mixed messages society sends them.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@sponica:

NO WAY is it an easy job!!! I quit teacher school because I decided working full time and writing was easier!

Too much boolsheet. And I LOVE that she made them apply to college. Maybe some of them will actually go.

8. salvatorecondegni says:

I’ve had someone else’s vehicle registration form mailed to me recently. Thankfully, it was behind mine(yes, in one envelope). The guy lived around the block so I did him a favor and brought it to him. I’m not too crazy about having my driver’s license # printed on shit that gets mailed incorrectly.

9. nato0519 says:

As an NJ tax payer I think it’s funny that NJ employees are complaining because they are getting furloughed. This is a great reason why they all need to just be fired. Bunch of moronic idiots who need to be sent through a sausage grinder. Sorry live in NJ for two months and you’ll want to hang yourselves to.

• joellevand says:

@nato0519: Listen to the 101.5 lies much?

• Drew5764 says:

@nato0519: Based on your poor grammar and spelling, I want to hang myself.

They all need to just be fired, but then they need to be sent through a sausage grinder? Which is it!?!

• WorldHarmony says:

@nato0519: I can only assume you are very young with little life experience, that you have a job, and that you have never experienced a crippling cut in wages. For some, furloughs- with their accompanying loss of income for workers- wreak havoc. Sure a furlough is better than being laid off, but let’s not diminish the suffering people experience when their pay is slashed. And to label an entire group of people as “moronic idiots” is senseless.

10. LegoMan322 says:

Jersey is so incompetent with everything they do. I live here for 30 years and cannot believe the amount of incompetence that takes place at the state level and the people of Jersey.

The DMV (rebranded MVC) is my least favorite to deal with. I would rather explain sex to a child/teenager. It’s that uncomfortable.

• sponica says:

@LegoMan322: MA was worse…I guarantee you.
      Although everytime I drive the GSP, I feel like I have to pray to a higher God that I’ll survive the trip alive.

11. KivaWolf says:

I’m surprised they haven’t said about “taking it seriously” yet or blaming it on the Jersey Devil.

12. Darkest Daze says:

And this is just another reason why I’ll be out of this state within the next 6 months….