Comcast Wants You Back, Leaves Comcastic Love Notes

Kevin abandoned Comcast and switched to FiOS. Since then, his jilted cable/Internet company has made it quite clear how badly they want him back. They can’t believe it when they hear that he won’t see them. Denial is tough to watch.

Comcast has been barraging me with invitations to come back ever since I switched to FiOS. On some days I will open my mailbox to find multiple Comcast ads that are identical. Now I have this one taped to my front door with a nice little note in the upper right corner. How hard up are these guys?

I think Comcast is just feeling needy after their loss to AIG in this year’s Worst Company In America contest.

Comments

1. RonDiaz says:

I’d take it I guess….I am going to pay $80 a mo in Platteville WI just for internet…gotta love the Centurytel Monopoly.

• Josh_G says:

@RonDiaz:

That sounds similar to the Skyline-Skybest monopoly up in Northwestern NC up in the mountains. For a landline phone, dial-up or DSL internet, they are the only option. No cable company at all. Skyline-Skybest is running lines to over cable TV/internet but it’s still them only. It’s the weirdest damn thing I’ve seen, 5 counties with only 1 option for phone/tv/internet.

Dial-up is still $20 + $35 phone line
      DSL (slowest speed only) $54 + $35 phone line

They are also one of those companies that will repeatedly claim it is impossible to have a DSL line without phone service.

I finally moved outside of their reach and get cheap-o time warner cable internet for $20 per month with basic cable!

• anduin says:

@RonDiaz:
      wow that sucks, I feel for you man, I canceled cable long ago because I just won’t watch enough to justify the cost

2. k6richar says:

Strange, the internet got slower in the more expensive package.

• sir_pantsalot says:

@k6richar: What a terrible customer you are. You are not supposed to actually read the details of the deal. You job is to hand over the money and take whatever they give you.

• PipeRifle says:

@k6richar: They had to trim bandwidth to make room for STARZ!

• MikeB says:

@k6richar: The more expensive one has more services. Not a bad deal.

• Corydon says:

@k6richar: If Kevin’s in a DOCSIS 3 area (likely if FiOS is in the neighborhood) then Comcast might have recently upgraded 6/1 to 12/2 and 8/2 to 16/2. The marketing bumpf might just have a slip-up where they forgot to mention the new D3 speeds in the “BEST OFFER!” plan.

• Laughing-Man says:

@k6richar: DUH!!! Bandwidth is limited!!! With more services we have to cut down your internet speeds. Maybe you dont understand, you see the internet is a series of tubes………..

3. Nighthawke says:

Kick Scott in the nutz and be done with them.

4. GildaKorn says:

Comcast seems to be adding a personal touch to their sales and services. I’ve experienced it first hand. I don’t see the problem.

Then again, I haven’t had problems with Comcast service, anyway. The few times it goes out, they send out a tech (on schedule, always) and it gets resolved.

I couldn’t ask for a better provider, frankly. What, exactly, has Comcast done to stir up such bile?

• Papercutninja says:

@GildaKorn: I personally never had an issue with Comcast either. In fact, when i switched over to FiOS, they sent me a check for the balance of my month that i already paid.

• takes_so_little says:

@Papercutninja: “THen again, take a look at the “Comcast” tags on Consumerist. That should give you an idea of the general dislike for Comcast.”

…and the numerous, well-founded reasons behind it.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@GildaKorn: Well, it’s a waste of paper to mail multiple identical ads to one person and if they’re mailing ads, why are they also taping stuff to the OP’s door? I think the complaint is that they’ve gone overboard.

• YourTechSupport says:

@GildaKorn: It just goes to show that 1.) Only a small percentage of outliers are actually getting screwed. or 2.) GildaKorn is a Comcast Shill!

• floraposte says:

@YourTechSupport: Or 3) a significant percentage of people are getting screwed, but there’s still a percentage–and therefore a rather large number–of people who aren’t.

• khiltd says:

@GildaKorn:

Shut up.

• y2julio says:

@khiltd: Thank you for your informative post. You added a lot to the conversation. You’re a gentleman and a scholar my good sir!

• dohtem says:

@GildaKorn: Their outages are few and far between but they come at the worst possible times. The last outage I had was on was on December 24th last year. I called but they couldn’t send a tech out till the 26th.

Guess what day falls in between those dates.

5. Saboth says:

Heh those are some good deals. I pay 135 a month for just dvr, basic + digital cable and 6mb internet. No phone, no movie channels.

• Nighthawke says:

@Saboth: Then 3 months (90 days) after that, BOOM! Your ibills get bback to their “base” retail rates.

• Scoobatz says:

@Saboth: I agree. I basically have the “Best Offer” package and pay $185/month, including my $50/month value customer discount which is good for 12 months.

• West Coast Secessionist says:

@Scoobatz: Yeesh! You and Saboth should seriously consider any alternatives you may have available to you. My dad and I both switched to Dish recently, but at the risk of sounding like a shill i’ll leave it at that and let you do your own research.

6. citking says:

I’m never getting cable again. Too little bandwidth, poor customer service, contracts, introductory fees, etc…just not worth it anymore. Dish Network FTW.

7. scoosdad says:

Unless Comcast is actually mailing the flyers the OP is finding in his mailbox, they’re in violation of several US postal codes. Show them to your local postmaster and file a complaint about Scott Chase and Comcast.

• TEW says:

@scoosdad: I don’t know if the OP is like me but I sometimes call the newspaper box under the actual mailbox my mailbox. Most homes I have seen have this type of setup so neighbors can put stuff near the mailbox and keep it safe and legal.

8. Karl Kvalvik says:

I recently switched from DSL to Cable because of some shoddy business practices they were trying to pull on me. I am finding that DSL is a bit faster, but it drops me every time it rains. We had someone come look at it, and it is a little better, but I think if I am going to bepaying $60 a month for a 10 meg connection, they better be reembursing me for every single time they have an outage, or if I get dropped more than 3 times a night.

It really feels like internet as a whole is being monopolized by companies that seem to be getting away with it.

With CenturyTel, I get 10Mbs for 59.99 a month, but if I sign a 1year contract, it is only 49.99 (plus modem $6 a month). If I want out of that contract, it is 200$ just like a celphone plan.

I am not liking this contract trend that everyone is getting on.

9. nucwin83 says:

Gotta love how these great offers only apply for folks who are in areas where there are competitors. The rest of you folks who rely on Comcast because they’re your only viable option, you get to pay out the arse for less service. Yay!

I’ll be happy when more towns go the route of Wilson, NC and run these companies out of business.

10. Karl Kvalvik says:

Wait scratch that… I want from CABLE to DSL. I am a bit dyslexic! gah, and I can’t edit my post either >_<

11. davere says:

I’ve been getting emails and post cards from my cable company ever since I dumped them for AT&T U-Verse.

I couldn’t be happier without them and it’s funny how suddenly they have all of these offers for me, when before they were not available.

I’m better off without them

12. BeerManMike says:

Why is it when you quit your service with them and switch they want you back all of a sudden? hey comcast, treat us good WHILE were with you and we won’t leave! BTW the LCD goes with me, you can have the dog.

13. jgarfink says:

My roommates and I got something similar to this a while ago. It was a photocopy of one of their ads and someone had written “WOW” and things of that nature all over it. Never mind that our apartment complex only has DirecTV, but still.

14. OMG!StopItWithNASA!_GitEmSteveDave says:

Nothing beats when Cablevision offered me “free 911″ in an effort to get me to switch off FiOS. No thank you, Verizon only charges me $5.00 for 911. [consumerist.com]

15. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

I now have the song “Baby Come Back” stuck in my head.

Thanks a lot, Swiffer. Now anytime anything wants business back I’m going to associate it with you.

• Rachacha says:

@Applekid: I was thinking the same thing. A little cable box hiding in the bushes with its LED display showing a sad face, singing in a sort of digitized “no disassemble Johnny 5″ voice.

16. Limekiller says:

I pay $90+ to Mediacom for slower internet, half the channels, no digital, no DVR, and no HBO. If it were available to me, I’d probably jump on that $79.99 plan after checking the details.

17. Anonymous says:

This looks like a flyer I got when I moved into my last apt. Scott is an independent contractor who sells comact bundles, most likely to a large development. Comcast is not directly behind this.

18. TakingItSeriously is a Technopile says:

I THINK it’s a violation of federal law for a person who is not an agent of the postal service to put mail in your mailbox. Unless these are being mailed to you (and maybe they are) file a complaint with your local Pose Office. You have all the info you need for them to track the person down and fine the crap out of them.

19. SanDiegoDude says:

Honestly, I think it’s a good thing that Comcast is trying to become more “personal” in their attempts to connect with their customers. From what I hear, their twitter team is amazing at getting fast, affective results. Maybe they’ve infected the company with something positive? Who knows.

20. magic8ball says:

It’s much too late to find
    You think you’ve changed your mind
    You’d better change it back or we will both be sorry …

21. Cocoa Vanilla says:

Put a sign on your property “NO SOLICITORS” and set up a video camera. Watch it whenever you can. When they come to your property, come out with a 9mm.

22. dosdelon says:

I think Scott is just looking for some dates here.

23. Triterion says:

I just called Time Warner to cancel and switch to Direct TV and the guy wouldn’t stop begging me to not leave. He offered me 10 dollars off what I was paying before, but that would still be like 60 dollars– 3 times what Direct TV charges, and Time Warner service blows.

24. nocturnaljames says:

typical comcast sales scams. I think these should be illegal. They list the low prices for 12 months, with no sign of how jacked up the prices are really going to be after 12 months. Really shady advertising, it makes people think these are the real prices when they are only temporary discounts.

25. u1itn0w2day says:

These cable and phone companies are getting like the credit card companies . They’re taking too much of your business for granted . So instead of rewarding loyal long time customers by NOT squeezing every penny they can they cry when the competition takes your business with a better offer.

How about a preventive strike by lowering rates . And NO a discount on an additional service doesn’t count . Just lower the existing rates instead begging and crying . Don’t wait til after the fact like the credit card companies are finding out after gouging their customers for years .