Some People Think Generics Are Somehow Inferior

There are people out there who really think the name-brand slapped on conveys some kind of magical properties to medicine not covered in the active ingredient list, as Janet’s sad story of how she got humiliated by her boss shows:

Janet writes:

My boss gave me a list of a few things to pick up for him at CVS last week. Advil liquid gels were on the list. I bought him the CVS brand of liquid gels with the same milligrams of ibuprofen in them. When I returned he flipped out on me saying that they are not the same and these won’t work as well. He told me to keep my penny pinching to my own purchases. Then a few days later he brought it up in front of a few other co-workers. They all agreed with him.

The CVS brand costs half of what Advil costs for the same thing, while I thought I was doing him a favor, I was setting myself up for laughter, apparently. This made me think, how many other people out there believe this? Over-the-counter medications give you a list and amount of ingredients right on the back, if everything is exactly the same, why spend twice as much?

It makes me feel like I must be taking crazy pills.

Don’t feel too bad, Janet, some of those co-workers may have just been nodding their head because they want to keep their job. At least now you know in your office who can’t think for themselves (your boss + those people).

(Photo: yoshiffles)

Comments

1. JulesWinnfield says:

Tell your a-hole boss to do his own shopping.

2. Blinky987 says:

I would’ve told him that he’s wrong and explained why he’s wrong.

• themicah says:

@Blinky987: While I agree that there’s no real difference between Advil and CVS brand ibuprofen, it’s NOT true that all generics work as well as non-generics.

There are absolutely some drugs where the inactive ingredients matter as much as the active ingredients, particularly with prescription meds. A number of years ago, for example, a prescription eye drop had its patent expire and a generic came on the scene. The generic contained the same active ingredient, but the solution in which it was dissolved was not as good, and the medicine therefore was not always evenly distributed in the solution itself, leading to uneven dosage, which in many cases actually made patients’ condition worsen.

Always ask your doctor if the generic equivalent is okay before opting for it. Usually it is, but it’s not always.

• Dragonis says:

@themicah:
        Another thing, my grandmother was on a medication for… something (it was a long time ago) and she switched to the generic brand. It worked just as well, but she had a minor reaction to the inactive ingredient, which was different in the brand-name.

• Blinky987 says:

@Blinky987: Sure, I would agree that there is a significant difference between over-the-counter generics and prescription generics.

• runswithscissors says:

@Blinky987:
      AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That’s a good one! No one would really ever tell their boss that the boss is wrong, unless you enjoy getting fired.

Welcome to the corporation. We own you now.

• arl84 says:

@runswithscissors: People with brains, and balls, do.

• ohenry says:

@arl84: In this economic climate? Risking your job over something so trivial? No thanks.

If the boss is dumb enough to make a fuss over something like the he’s probably dumb enough to fire someone over something so small. I wouldn’t have taken the chance.

• runswithscissors says:

@arl84: People with brains, balls, and very shortly afterwards no job, yeah.

If you have a decent boss then you should be able to constructively tell them when they are wrong without risking your employment.

If you have a power-mongering, manipulative, alpha personality boss – especially one that is basically incompetent at their job (the “Peter Principle”) – then you honestly face a choice in these situations of severely risking your continued employment (or at least wrecking your performance review) vs speaking the truth.

In a good employment climate the answer is to leave that job for one with a good boss. Though I must warn that because the alpha-controlling-jerk personalities are drawn to power like moths to a flame, and they like others of the same personality as they are, about 2/3 of bosses out there are these sorts of power-hungry controlling alpha jerks.

In THIS employment environment you likely cannot leave for a job with a better boss (plus the problem being that you can’t tell what your new boss will be like until after you work for them a bit).

So cling to a good boss like glue when you find one. Believe me they are worth more than a bigger salary or more perks elsewhere.

Or take pride in your brains and balls as you stand in the unemployment line.

• ionerox says:

@arl84: So do people with reasonable bosses that hire employees for their critical thinking skills.

I have no problem disagreeing with my boss, she’d just want to know why I don’t agree.

• OprahBabb says:

@runswithscissors: Nobody likes to be proven “wrong”. It’s all in the presentation of the material.

I only have 11 donuts today, one of you isn’t getting anything, sorry.

11 lukcy people are getting a donut today!! :oD

• Drew5764 says:

@Blinky987: Makes you seriously wonder how qualified he is to do what he does, no?

3. esp13 has a pony named Steve says:

The real difference is that Wal-mart, Rite-Aid and Walgreen’s don’t send reps to doctor’s offices and buy everybody lunch or give away useless pens and crap (like a plush stuffed stomach and esophagus my ex-wife got once). Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but when it comes to life-saving or life-sustaining meds, the exact proper doses are critical and consistancy cannot be achieved with discounted price meds (or did I just buy into the commercialism).

• esp13 has a pony named Steve says:

@esp13: … and someone please direct me to a good report that I can use to back up the Name-brands-are-not-better-than-generic stand.

• BodeMiller says:

@esp13:

Generics are sometimes made in the same factory, on the same line as the name brand drugs. When the patent on a drug expires the company starts to produce the generic as well, the only difference being the packaging.

There are a few drugs where different brands seem to work slightly differently, thyroid replacement hormone (i.e. Synthroid) being one.

Generally speaking however, generics are made to the same standards and work just as well as the branded drugs.

• floraposte says:

@BodeMiller: Overall, I think that individual users may occasionally notice differences between name-brand and generic medications (if you’ve got GI issues different preps may change how well you absorb stuff, for instance), but the vast majority of the time it makes no difference, which is why you start with the cheapo and move up if it doesn’t work. For OTC stuff, I’ve never heard of anybody running into a difference that isn’t down to flavoring preferences or actual allergies. Which doesn’t sound like the nature of Janet’s boss’s objection.

So, Janet, you are not taking crazy pills, generic or otherwise, and your boss has happily decided to spend his money subsidizing brand-name ad campaigns for the same old stuff. You might want to double-check his budget decisions.

• ceriphim says:

@esp13: Umm, hunh? Are we talking about OTC cold medicine or prescription meds? Cause they both have generics but in different ways.

You don’t see Rite-Aid generic Flonase (fluticasone) but there *is* a generic equivalent that works just as well. Generic prescription meds depend on the patents expiring before they can be sold.

• Nick Vandermast says:

@esp13: Umm…

We’re discussing over the counter medication. In which case, can you not simply read the label? If it has the same active ingredients, in the same quantities… What exactly makes those which cost twice as much better?

• parnote says:

@Nick Vandermast: They fell better, cuz they spent more. After all, if it costs more, it must be better, right? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

• The Porkchop Express says:

@parnote: That only works with elicit drugs..the cost more=better thing that is. at least that’s what my dealer says and he never steered me wrong. am I right?

• chrylis says:

@esp13: You just bought into the cmomercialism. Manufacturers of generic medicines are still required to demonstrate that their products are chemically identical to the name-brand medicine. Any difference in effectiveness is due solely to the placebo effect.

• Anonymous says:

@chrylis:

Actually, that’s not quite true. Google “Narrow Therapeutic Index” and see what I mean.

For some reason, the explanation in the 2nd link (http://www.wellmark.com/products/pharmacy/nti.htm) is a lot better than the wikipedia explanation, but the long and short of it is that even insurance companies recognize that certain brand name drugs work better for certain individuals and will even waive the usually higher co-payment.

Note that I’m not claiming that all generics are inferior, but to state that any differences are due solely to the placebo effect is simply incorrect.

• redkamel says:

@esp13: nor do they do any research, but still, you have a point.

• edosan says:

@esp13: “Now, correct me if I’m wrong…”

There are (very few) exceptions, but yes, you are wrong.

4. I_am_Awesome says:

Janet should have grown a set and told her boss the generic has the same active ingredients the first time he criticized her.

• runswithscissors says:

@I_am_Awesome: And the boss would say something like “I understand your concern. On an unrelated matter, your job performance has gone down lately…”.

:p

• arl84 says:

@runswithscissors: Not everyone’s boss is an asshole.

• Anonymous says:

@arl84: No, but a boss that sends someone out for an errand like that, then freaks out at her for not buying PRECISELY what he ORDERED her to buy, then brings it up in front of coworkers to humiliate her afterwards is pretty much the textbook definition of asshole.

• tofupuppy says:

@arl84: Yeah, but Janet’s is.

• runswithscissors says:

@arl84: As I said above – if you have a good boss then realize how lucky you are and cling to that good boss like glue – don’t be lured away by a bit more money or perks.

I’d rather work for 10 grand less a year for a good boss than what I earn now for a bad boss.

And as twelve12 points out – Janet’s boss has clearly demonstrated what type of jerk boss he is here. With bosses like that your only choices are a) shut up, smile, and nod or b) speak up and get disciplined or fired or c) leave for a better boss (not easy at all in this job climate).

• JanetCarol says:

@I_am_Awesome: I did tell him. I have no problem standing up to him, it’s just that his thick head doesn’t want to hear what I have to say. Just like our arguments about open source software.

• MostlyHarmless says:

@JanetCarol: Thats some balls. But i know exactly what you are talking about. I had the same situation with my mom and my school teachers. Even some lecturers in college.

But bosses and team leads… oh i got lucky there! Knock on wood, all my managers so far have been very nice.

• mythago says:

@JanetCarol: Good on ya, but unless you are a personal assistant or similar, you have a boss who a) thinks it’s appropriate to send you out on his personal errands and b) thinks it’s appropriate to bring it up DAYS LATER, IN FRONT OF CO-WORKERS. I hope that when the economy gets better you can ditch this job.

5. porschegal says:

I worked in a plant that made over-the-counter (OTC) generics. It was gross. Products that molded. Beetle eggs in product that would hatch while out on the market. Had a clean FDA inspection. Still in business. Gross.

As for generic versions of prescription drugs, there is a range for Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (the true medicine in a drug) that is acceptible. For the sake of argument, we’ll say 5-10%. Your generic may come in at 5-6% and your brand will more than likely be 9-10%. While this may not be the case in all drugs, it is something to be aware of. Also, brands and generics may have completely different “fillers” or the non-active ingredients. Just my 2 cents.

• funkadelica says:

@porschegal:

Oh wow. Gross gross gross. I mean, I know that shit happens… but sick!

• Paul Hibbard says:

@porschegal: yeah

• pepelicious says:

@porschegal: Oh really? Did you work at a lab that makes pills for the name brands? How are you sure of the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (I’ll call it API from now on so I sound more official) for the name brands was that high?

I’m not a drug manufacturer, but I play on on the Internet.

• jblaze1 says:

@porschegal: This sounds absolutely fake as the FDA mandates that since generic companies do not conduct clinical trials, that the formula is exactly the same. Also, the FDA wouldn’t allow “moldy” factories. Come on!

• Anonymous says:

@porschegal:
      I like the way you think because everything you said is completely true and are things to consider. I would like to add that just because the ingredients listed on the back of the box are the same between the brand-name and generic doesn’t mean they are exactly the same. I work in a research lab and buy chemicals almost every day. You would be surprised to see how many different options there are for a single chemical. For example, you would think that table salt (NaCl) is table salt, right? Well, it isn’t because there are over thirty different types of table salt that I can buy and they all differ by the way they were isolated and how many contaminates still remain. In other words, some of them are more pure than others. Given this information, I would guess that the generic companies buy the cheaper versions of chemicals that are not as pure as the chemicals used by brand-name companies.

• Blaaaah says:

@XylonMagoot: Agreed. There are certain medicines that I dislike taking the generic version for because I notice a different in potency in my own reaction to the drug.

6. funkadelica says:

Um yeah… sometimes generic ISN’T the same. Why don’t you look up how many applications there were last year for companies wanting to make generic prescription meds in places like India and China? It’s a fairly well-known fact that the medication I take – synthetic thyroid hormone – is not as likely to be as accurate or work as well in generic form.

• JoshRogan says:

@funkadelica: If you’re talking about Synthroid, you’ve bought into Abbott Labs marketing. Abbott’s predecessor, Knoll, commissioned a study examining the bioequivalence of Synthroid, Levoxyl, and two generic preparations. All were found to be bioequivalent and “interchangeable in the majority of patients receiving thyroxine replacement therapy”. Knoll attempted to have the study suppressed, and it wound up in litigation and ultimately published in JAMA. Knoll also settled a suit filed by nearly every Attorney General due to Knoll’s false claims that Synthroid was superior to other thyroid-replacement medications.

• BodeMiller says:

@JoshRogan:

This is what my research also showed. The only issue was if a patient had started on one drug (like Synthroid, which is why they give out a million samples) then switched over to another drug–generic or branded. In that case the blood tests used to track the thyroid hormone level at a certain dose may not be consistent from the old drug to the new one. So it would take a new period of fine tuning the dose and checking the blood levels rather than just giving the same dosage and waiting for the next regular checkup.

But that did NOT mean that the other drugs did not work just as well.

• bohemian says:

@JoshRogan: I am that minority of patients that can’t use the generic thyroid meds. I know it wasn’t the placebo effect because I didn’t know I was taking the generic until I finished the 3 month supply. I was mistakenly given generic but the bottled was labeled with the brand name. Since they had increased the dosage the pills were going to be different anyways. When I got the next refill I noticed the pills were the same color but had totally different printing on them. I looked them up on a pill identifier site and double checked with the doctors office. I had been sick and feeling like total crap the three months I was on the generic and had no idea why. After a few weeks of taking the brand name I quit feeling like I had been run over by a truck.

That said, this is the only experience I have ever had where a generic was not just as good.

• maneki neko says:

@bohemian: Hmm…that’s interesting. I’ve noticed no difference between when I take generic synthroid and brand-name, so I assumed there *was* no difference. Guess it’s something in the inactive ingredients.

• Needy's Body says:

@maneki_neko: I bounced between 88 and 100 for 6 months before my doctor told me I had to be on Synthroid because the slight difference in variation of micrograms between the two was probably be what was causing the too little, too much effect. I go in for another round of testing in two weeks – hopefully that will be the problem and it will be solved. Otherwise, I guess I will be cutting the pills up into tiny bits to make 94s.

• AnonyLawyer says:

@bohemian: I can’t use generic Synthroid, either. I believe it has something to do w/ how it is absorbed compared to brand.

• The Porkchop Express says:

@JoshRogan: “interchangeable in the MAJORITY of patients receiving thyroxine replacement therapy”

You see what I did there? that one word says it all.

they taught us this when we went over true/false questions for most standardized testing. Never and Always usually equal a false statement.

Some people’s bodies won’t reconize the generic thyroid replacement as well as some other hormone replacement meds I’m sure.

7. Paul Hibbard says:

I have found some generic brands do not work as well as others. Its not just the amount of the active ingredient but the quality. I buy generic when possible but some just don’t work as well and I end up taking more than with another generic or even a name brand.

• floraposte says:

@BodeMiller: I don’t suppose there was any chance she was thinking OTC vs. prescription strength? No? Okay, laugh on, then.

• diasdiem says:

@Paul Hibbard: Any chance it’s just psychosomatic? The word “generic” is sometimes taken to mean “cut-rate”, and implies a lack of quality (like in consumer electronics). Could it just be that you think it doesn’t work as well because of this association?

• Yokai Monsters Spook Warfare says:

@Paul Hibbard: I have a similar issue with Sudafed. I know its not in my head because I use generic for all my other medications (both Rx and OTC) without a problem, but for some reason, anything but name-brand Sudafed just doesn’t work for me. Sometimes I tell myself that I must be crazy, and buy a generic box because its so much cheaper, only to end up congested for another few days until I can make it back to the pharmacy.

8. Ninja007 says:

in my own anecdotal evidence, Advil is better for curing pain than a generic. It could be the placebo effect, or it could be that Advil’s pills are better engineered.

• mmmsoap says:

@Ninja007: It’s the tasty coating! That makes it go down so much smoother :)

• xthexlanternx says:

@Ninja007: I thought I was the only one who thought Advil tasted good !!!

• Coelacanth says:

@Ninja007: My own anecdotal evidence suggests that differences between Advil and generics are imperceptable. I’m glad you’re willing to at least consider the placebo effect.

That being said, assuming you’re relatively young and healthy, it’s generally okay to just take another pill (within reason) if whatever pain doesn’t subside at the usual dose.

(They market prescription ibuprofen up to 1200mg tablets!)

• Jeff_McAwes0me says:

@Coelacanth: Yeah, you can take a whole bunch of Ibuprofen. When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, the doctor said I could take up to 8 Ibuprofen pills at once. That’s 1600 mg!

Advil does taste good though. It has the same candy coating as M&M’s. I buy it if it’s not much more expensive.

• yevarechecha says:

@Jeff_McAwes0me: 8 pills? Seriously? I take ibuprofen for cramps and have to pop 4 every 4 hours (which gets me around triple the recommended daily consumption) for a day each month and I feel guilty about that! I don’t see how you could take 8 at once. Did you do it? I popped that many over an hour span once when the pain got really bad and although the pain went away, the side effects let me know that it was WAY too much. I was feeling dizzy, nauseous, trembling, etc. Then I got mad constipated. Didn’t do that again.

• HeartBurnKid, creepy morbid freak says:

@yevarechecha: You can do it short-term. Long-term, you’re looking at liver damage.

This is why anything over 200mg (Advil-strength) is prescription only.

• pepelicious says:

@Ninja007: It is the placebo effect. You believe it will work better because you trust the brand and you spent more money on it than the generic version. And so it does. Funny how that works!

Want to put it to the test? It’s very simple. Do a blind test with the name brand and the generic version. Throw in a dummy pill as a control. Try it a few times and see what your results are.

• JackWalker says:

@Ninja007: @Runs With Gophers: Most of the world’s population is heavily medicated for something or other.

Wake up. Take pills. Get ready. Go to work. Work. Work. Lunch break. Take pills. Work. Work. Work. Go home. Eat dinner. Take pills. Go to bed. Repeat.

• JackWalker says:

@JackWalker: Should have only been directed at Runs With Gophers.

• johnva says:

@JackWalker: So you don’t think people should use medication, but you’re for recreational drugs?

• liquidnumb says:

@johnva: “So you don’t think people should use medication, but you’re for recreational drugs? “

He said “Personally, I stopped taking whatever meds I had been on a long time ago. Music, a good cigar and some scotch is therapy enough for me.”

He didn’t say anything about other people, and certainly nothing about what anyone “should” do. The sentence starts out with “personally”.

• TaterTom says:

@johnva: The proposed solution concerns over-the-counter medicine, which helps babies. My opponent is against the legislation, therefore, he hates babies. My opponent kills babies! He rapes them, eats part of them, then rapes them again. Baby rape. If you don’t like me, you like baby rape.

• Kogenta says:

@Ninja007: Even if I happen to disagree with the statement, Advil is ussually on sale so often in the drug stores that it pretty much COSTS the same as the generics, so why not buy the “authentic” experiance if they’re both going to set you back the same amount (Note, I’m just basing this off my experiances with price compare in my area using standard 200mg advil, pricing schemes for extra-strength/liquigels etc are somewhat different).

That being said, I can totally believe that in some cases, the generics may work differently than the brand name because of the non-active ingredients reacting with other shit you might be taking.

• parnote says:

@Ninja007: ROTFLMAO! Better engineered! Like PT Barnum said … a sucker born every minute!

• SnaLanKoat_GitEmSteveDave says:

@parnote: He never actually said that. It was falsely attributed to him.

• MyrtleWilloughby says:

@parnote: Better engineered for deliciousness! I buy generic, but I do agree that the snackability of the candy coating on Advil is their killer app. Similarly, Dimetapp’s generic doesn’t have that certain grapezilla je ne sais quoi.

9. evilmage says:

I have come to the conclusion that most of the population is either on meds, or off their meds.

10. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

And what percentage of generic drugs are from China?
    Or the chemical precursors of the drugs?
    Have you forgotten the heparin scandal of not so long ago?

I know that a huge amount of no brand OTC drugs & vitamins are from the Poisoned Republic of China!

11. atashida says:

I used to agree with this post, then I had a generic that gave me a bad reaction.

Yes, the active ingredients are supposed to be the same: the inactive ingredients don’t have to be. The inactive ingredients can give you a bad reaction.

I’m not saying that all generics are bad, but there needs to be some clarity on the part of both the FDA and insurance companies that a change in the inactive ingredients of a drug CAN affect a certain amount of people.

12. outoftheblew says:

I feel bad for Janet … I’m also a generic user, and have experience being with a friend, trying to help her gather OTC drugs for her upcoming (at the time) childbirth, getting the generic and being told she only wants the namebrand because that’s what her doctor told her to get and she’s not taking any chances. It’s the exact same drug, held to the exact same FDA standard … the generics just haven’t had to pay for the R&D and advertising. And most generics are manufactured by competing brand-name companies.

[www.medicinenet.com]

[www.healthguidance.org]

13. Cocotte says:

There’s a basic courtesy thing here for me, in that if he specified a brand name then it’s polite to assume he wanted that specific brand. His dollar, his brand.

For me I find I sometimes prefer a name brand simply because they offer a version that I find easier to get down my very gaggy throat. And I like my Advil coated tabs… /shrug.

• liquidnumb says:

@Cocotte: If someone specified an item exactly, I would agree. On the other hand, people will commonly call a product in general by the name of the foremost brand. If I were to ask for a band aid or a q-tip, I wouldn’t expect a Band-Aid brand bandage, and I would be just fine with Albertson’s Cotton Swabs.

• ceriphim says:

@liquidnumb: Oh no, I never go generic on the Q-Tips. The generics are far too flexible, they’re uncomfortable to use. Oh, and one horror story from a friend about his generic cotton swab tip detaching while *inside* his ear was enough to put me off the generic forever.

• TaterTom says:

@ceriphim: In that case, I heard about this guy that used the internet and DIED. Forward this to ten people or you will crash into a short bus and burn up under a pile of window lickers.

• ceriphim says:

@TaterTom: Except this actually happened, and instead of “a friend” maybe I should have typed, “my best friend of 20 years”.

Still. Irrational? Yes, I’m aware it is.

• ajlei says:

@Cocotte: I am also very gag-prone so although I rarely take pills, I do love me some candy coated Advil when the need arises.

• DaWezl says:

@Cocotte: In a way, I think the discussion of whether or not generics are equivalent to name brands is almost a distraction from what I found wrong about the story, which is the feeling of entitlement to force a choice upon someone else. She would most certainly be livid if someone decided that she needed a name brand over the generics *she* prefers, and used her money to purchase that when she’d specified clearly that she wanted the store brand. And, whether or not what she bought was of a lesser value is meaningless if the boss is going to have to go back out to get what he wanted in the first place. It’s not saving money if you don’t want it.

As to the appropriateness of the boss asking her to pick something up, it sounds as though she didn’t take issue with the initial request. Her complaint seems to be that now her boss is bringing the conflict up in front of other people. Of course, what we’re not privy to is whether or not she acknowledged that he has a right to a differing opinion, or whether she’s continued to try and sway the boss into agreeing that she was right for buying the substitute product.

14. BodeMiller says:

One time my sister was over and she had a headache and wanted some Tylenol so I got her a bottle of acetamenophen. At the time my significant other worked as an engineer at the company that makes all the name-brand equivalents, so we got all this stuff free.

My sister shook out about six and when I sort of looked at her funny she said, “Well it’s generic so you have to take twice as much.” And she was serious. I am not making this up.

My educated, very intelligent sibling truly believed this. We still bring it up and laugh (at her) about it, it was so silly.

• ColoradoShark says:

@BodeMiller: Oh yeah, that’s might funny when she overdoes on something. I’m not ridiculing you, I’m ridiculing the attitude that OTC is so safe that doubling the dose is still OK>

• BodeMiller says:

@ColoradoShark:

First off, I can assure you that we corrected her assumption about doubling the dose of generics immediately.
        Second, doubling the dose of almost every OTC medication ever developed is not going to overdose a full size, healthy human.
        Finally, in my family we tend to cope with life by finding humor in things. Sue me.

• ajlei says:

@BodeMiller: I’ve become well accustomed to the fact that my sister is much stupider than me. This sounds like something she might do, especially since she has a rich boyfriend who would buy her the most expensive name brand to make her happy. Maybe I should call her, but I doubt she’d listen…

15. Baccus83 says:

Medication – especially prescription medication – is not like breakfast cereal. Equal ingredient quantities does not make for an equal product. Some generic medications are manufactured in dubious conditions, with inferior quality ingredients. Maybe when it comes to ibuprofen and certain pain-killers, there might not be as big of a deal. But let’s please be careful before we imply that all generic medications are equal to their brand-name counterparts.

Additionally, it doesn’t all come down to ingredients. Some brand-name medicines work better because they have a better release system. Not all Gel coating is the same. Now I’m not saying it’s a huge deal or anything, but there IS a difference.

Also, I don’t want to be a jerk – but if the OP’s boss had written down “Advil Liquid Gels” on the shopping list, I would have bought exactly that. I try to be frugal myself, but I’m not going to assume that everybody else is okay with certain brand-name substitutions, especially if I’m paying with their money.

Still, it’s a jerk move for the boss to keep bringing it up in conversation. It’s certainly not something worth “flipping out” about.

16. H3ion says:

The active ingredient is supposed to be the same, and if the FDA is doing its job (question right there) there should be no difference between brand name and generic. However, the delivery system (the inactive ingredients) do not have to be the same and they affect how and how quickly or slowly the active ingredient gets into the bloodstream. For stuff like aspirin, it probably doesn’t matter but for heart medications, etc., I’ll probably stick with the name brand. FWIW, I used to represent a pharmaceutical company who manufactured both name label drugs and generics (different plants) and this was their take on the matter.

• jjeefff says:

@Barrister76: Yes! Especially if you have a sensitive stomach this may make a huge difference.

• SnaLanKoat_GitEmSteveDave says:

@Barrister76: I take a Wellbutrin which has a specific release mechanism. The pill itself never dissolves, just an outside “coating”, which allows the meds to escape through the “skin” of the pill. Part of the literature they give you from the Pharmacy explains you might see a “whole pill” floating in the bowl after using the Bathroom. That being said, someone finally came out w/a generic, but MANY people reported that it wasn’t as effective as the name brand. My psych, who has no problem giving you a generic, had heard this from some of her patients, and there was even an article about it in my local paper when someone wrote in to their medical column.

So yeah, depending on the delivery system, you may get a totally different “experience”

• BridgetPentheus says:

i started with the brand wellbutrin as a sample and it worked well and when i went to fill the prescription not only does my insurance company charge the same for the generic and brand but the problem can be with inactive ingredient like the dyes, which i was severely allergic to. And each time you’re getting a generic it may not be the same one so you can have a different reaction every time. My pharmacist is nice enough on the generic medicines I take to let me know that it will look different if they’ve changed the one that was supplying them.

17. MoreFunThanToast says:

Not all the generic drugs are the same with brand names. Although the active ingredient might be the same, sometimes it is the inactive ingredient that makes the differences perhaps.
    I’ve done some research on BC pills and there are a lot of people complaining about the tri-sprintec which is generic brand as opposed to the Ortho Tri-Cyclen which many people recommended due to it’s lighter side effects.

• Diningbadger says:

@MoreFunThanToast: This is what my doctor said, too. Fillers can be different and often are to avoid Trade Mark litigation. This doesn’t mean that the inactive ingredient doesn’t have adverse reactions “aside” from the active ingredient. For example, fillers may cause upset stomach in some but not others….

• johnva says:

@MoreFunThanToast: That’s apparently a common complaint for birth control pills (that the generics have higher incidence of side effects). This may be because for these medications even a tiny fluctuation in the active ingredient can cause that (and a small deviation is allowed under the FDA rules).

• JulesNoctambule says:

@MoreFunThanToast: I switched to the generic for my BC (Estrostep) and not only am I saving a bundle of cash every month, but I’ve also noticed a decrease in an allergy I’d developed while taking the brand name. My awesome pharmacist said she wouldn’t be surprised if inactive ingredients had been the culprit.

• TBT says:

@MoreFunThanToast: I am so sensitive to the “inactive” ingredients in my BC pills that I can ONLY take one very specific version. Name brand is Levlite, and it makes me wanna jump out of my skin. Barr Pharmeceuticals makes 2 generic versions of it, one in purple packaging and one in light pink. Same active ingredients, same dosage, same company…different COLORS. The pink one makes me cry nonstop, the purple one is totally fine with zero side effects. I still haven’t figured out WHY they make both, but I make my doc prescribe the generic by name and check the DAW box.

• JulesNoctambule says:

@TBT: Is there a chance you’re sensitive to the particular dyes used in the other one? I’ve had weird reactions to medicines for that reason before.

18. tekdemon says:

Other than if a pill has particularly high-tech and patented time-release coatings, the kind you’ll only really find on drugs that need them for safety reasons, the generics will do just as well. Most drugs taken chronically reach a steady-state in your blood anyway so it doesn’t matter.

And for stuff like ibuprofen there’s about a 99.999% chance that there’s no difference. I rather suspect a lot of posters here work for non-generic drug companies judging by the total BS being posted.

Most pills use the same bindings and fillers anyway. A lot of the time if you think a generic isn’t working as well, trying another brand of generic should fix the problem because for a lot of drugs it’s just that some people are more sensitive to a particular binding. But that has nothing to do with generic vs brand names-doctors often switch patients between similar brand names not because the main ingredients have any real difference but because the fillers are slightly different and some people just have better results on one over the other.

If it really floats your boat to waste your money then go ahead, but I still recall (in a public health course no less) some brainwashed girl started SCREAMING at me when I pointed out that Nexium was just an isomer of Prilosec (and arguably actually less effective per mg). For some bizarre reason she felt the need to insist that it was a totally different drug. They must have done a heck of a marketing job because I’ve seen nurses actually ask if their insurance plan covered Nexium over Prilosec, even though anybody who’s read the studies would know that Prilosec was equally or more effective in the majority of studies even though they used twice the dose of Nexium. The only reason it was even approved was because Nexium squeaked a win in two studies (again with twice the dose…because magically the “correct” dose of Nexium was twice as high).

There’s plenty more hilarious drug studies for FDA approved drugs out there too, since drug companies basically throw the spaghetti at the wall with their usage applications and hope they get an approval with correlations that may or may not be real or even have anything to do with the supposed function of the drug. Like the anti-depressants that barely beat placebo, but get approved. Completely ignoring the fact that the likely reason that it beat the placebo was that it makes people drowsy so depressed people got more sleep and felt marginally better than placebo-something that could have been achieved with $2 generic benadryl.

Seriously, ask anybody with actual pharmacology training (and not a drug company employee) and I guarantee you that they themselves use generics, prescribe generics, and support the use of generics. This doesn’t mean that if a patient has a terrible reaction to the fillers in one pill over the other that a doctor wouldn’t switch them, but you’re just as likely to react to the brand name and feel better on a generic.

• Diningbadger says:

@tekdemon: Ibuprofen is very different in different doses. You could take four 200mg to equal the prescription strength but you’d get a heck of a lot more fillers than just one 800gm tablet from the doctor. The filler can give you a very upset stomach…

• BodeMiller says:

@Diningbadger:

Huh, that’s funny then how I’ve had doctors tell me “You can just take x number of the OTC tablets if you have them in the house.”

And you can take it with a small meal if you
        tend to get an upset stomach . . .

• simplekismet says:

@Diningbadger: Actually the reason you get an upset stomach is simply because that is one of the side effects of ibuprofen.

And any doctor or pharmacist NOT telling you to take 800mg of ibuprofen (whichever way you take it) with some food to avoid the upset stomach is not doing their job.

• dhmosquito says:

@tekdemon: “I rather suspect a lot of posters here work for non-generic drug companies judging by the total BS being posted.”

AMEN. Thanks for the sanity.

• miguels says:

@tekdemon: as a pharmacist, i use generics myself. just recently i had an upper respiratory tract infection which my doctor prescribed levaquin for. there is no generic available for levaquin so my co-pay would end up being 40$. instead, i had him change the medication to generic z-pak for a 10$ co-pay. this did the job treating my illness and i saved 30$.

what’s difficult is that some patients will be stuck in the “generics are inferior” mindset where it’s almost impossible for them to try anything but brand name drugs. i work at a retail pharmacy in an upperclass neighborhood so you know how that goes. it’s gotten to the point where i just don’t bother trying to explain that generics are just as effective as their brand counterparts.

generic drugs are not 100% identical to their brand names in respect to filler AND active ingredients (unless the generic is made by the parent company of the brand name and is virtually identically other than for some markings). the FDA allows for the active ingredient in the generic to be X% bioequivalent to the brand. i cant remember, but it’s around 80-90% or so. either way, it’s enough to prove effective in treatment of diseases. more so in clinical trials, there is usually no significant difference in outcomes when comparing brand and generic.

regarding generic synthroid, it is very effective if the patient started and stayed on it. some drugs such as synthroid do have a narrow therapeutic window in which case a generic may not be as efficacious if the patient is at steady state with the brand. a patient having been on brand and going to the generic may experience some adverse effects which may require reevaluation by their physician.

with 99% of drugs, generics will work just fine. you can think of generics in terms of cars. whether you drive a bentley or a honda, the idea is to get from point A to B. both of which do that.

19. Anonymous says:

Sorry to say, but your boss was probably right. According to some research last year, the price of a drug, even though it is the SAME EXACT drug changes the effectiveness of the drug. People think that the more expensive drug works better, and so it does. See here:

20. BrockBrockman says:

An employee felt bad because she couldn’t follow clear instructions, and got reprimanded by her boss? This is a consumer issue how?

Chalk this up as a learning experience, Janet: Bosses have peculiar tastes, likes, dislikes. They may have batshitinsane reasoning, but they are still your boss, and you still have to do what they want. They aren’t asking you to do anything illegal. When you aren’t sure if buying the generic brand is alright, ask.

21. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

When the boss berates you for penny pinching, just tell them it’s because they pay you so little so it’s hard to break the habit. :)

22. mcjake says:

OK. I have to say that while for the most part yes, generic is just as good as the brand name. That is not the case with Tums. Tums works perfectly fine, but one day I thought “oh, I know I will try the Walmart brand.” They had the same exact ingredients so they must work the same right? WRONG! The Walmart brand consistently gave me horrific diheria. Yeah. Horrific.

• johnva says:

@mcjake: I buy the name-brand Tums because I hate how they taste and I think it’s more palatable than any of the generic ones I’ve tried. For something like naproxen sodium I always buy the generic, but when it’s something I have to chew I prefer the one that they’ve put more effort into making taste decent.

23. trujunglist says:

I call bullshit.
    Just because the ingredients are “the same” doesn’t mean that it is the same. In this case, isn’t it possible to get a lower quality active ingredient? You can get lower quality chocolate, metal, paper, weed, alcohol, etc.. are you telling me generics have the same quality as name brand every time? You’re dumb as hell if you think so.
    Case in point: any generic cereal. Many times, they will look the same and have the same ingredients for the most part, but taste like complete shit.
    Fuck that. I admit that I can find some generic brands that are suitable replacements for the name brand, but that’s not always true. Kirkland toilet paper, for example?

• David Brodbeck says:

@trujunglist: The FDA requires the generics to be chemically identical, so no, you’re not going to find them using something cheaper instead of the name brand’s active ingredient.

24. Skeptic says:

As others have noted, generics do not always function clinically exactly like the brand name original. This fact has been shown in some clinical studies and it is a major issue with generics, but, of course, depends on the class of drug and the specific generic.

25. Anonymous says:

I wouldn’t take the comments here as an positive or negative indication about generic drugs. I can find several web sites that I trust more for medical information than a stranger’s opinion in the comments here… even though all commenters on the Consumerist are smarter and more beautiful and handsome that average. :-)

Here is one I might suggest, please read about it before you trust the info. It also links to the FDA which is probably also good.

26. dropkickqueen says:

A chapter in Dan Ariely’s Predictably Irrational talks about a study of his that found that medicines that were said to cost more actually resulted in greater relief of pain than cheaper alternatives, even when the exact same drugs were administered. here’s an article with more details.

27. bohemian says:

After reading the article and some of the comments I find it puzzling how many people are so bound to this mentality that brand name is always better.

Go ahead waste extra money for no apparent reason. Every bit where everyone else wastes money and I don’t just nudges me a bit higher into another economic bracket.

28. u1itn0w2day says:

I use generics all the time but agree not all generics are alike . Sometimes it might take some experimentation but usually there is something out there that works .

Somebody mentioned generics have a different release mechanism . I see that because I use generic sinus meds alot and some seem to work slower . But they work .

Some people are obsessed with the brand name not only because they don’t want to take a chance on it not working but they pride themselves on only using the best/priciest . They don’t want to appear cheap and they want to seem they have higher standards than the average persom . It’s a status thing almost .

29. StutiCebriones says:

No one’s mentioned it, but the bigger issue to me is whether this is in her job description? Or is she doing it as a personal favor to an acquaintance, who happens to manage her?

And since placebos were mentioned — do doctors just go into the Magic Samples Closet for those (“Here, take these for a week and let me know if you don’t get better”), or are there prescription placebos? I assume there are prescription placebos, because there’ll always be cranky old people who refuse to leave without the scrip. But it seems like a huge scam.

30. Anonymous says:

It’s all the same except when the generic companies save money by falsifying data. Do your own search.

31. nospacesinmyname says:

Sorry kids, my organic chemist QA person MIL at a MAJOR pharma say, NOT THE SAME.

32. RodolfoRabulous says:

All I know is, the generic painkiller for UTI pain does nothing for me. The name brand one brings sweet relief.

33. Anonymous says:

The placebo effect is huge. Since last summer there has been a generic version of the oral contraceptive Yasmin available. Ocella looks exactly like Yasmin, same packaging, and made by the same company. But if you google Ocella, you will complaints that it is not as effective as Yasmin, which costs 25% more. There are hundreds of examples of brand name and generic drugs that made by the same company; the only difference is the color of the packaging. Check with your Pharmacist, preferably an independent rather than chain.

34. Nick Bornemann says:

Hey, you know that person in a white coat watching you in the drug aisle? They have spent years studying all this, maybe you should ask them about your drug choice.

Some of the comments here are scaring the shit out of me.
    DON’T MAKE MEDICAL/DRUG DECISIONS BASED ON COMMENT BOARDS OR UNQUALIFIED FRIENDS/FAMILY.

35. lucidpsyche says:

For OTC stuff, I don’t have a problem with generics.

For prescription meds, however, if I’m taking the name brand, I’m not switching to a generic. Tried it once with an antidepressant, and it screwed with my brain chemistry for a week.

Though generics have to prove themselves to be chemically the same (within a margin of error) as the name brand’s active ingredient, they do NOT have to undergo the testing that the name brand meds do. That’s why they’re so much cheaper.

36. godlyfrog says:

It’s OK, Janet, as long as those crazy pills aren’t generic, you’ll be fine.

37. Telekinesis123 says:

I know it doesn’t make a difference for simple normal release medicines but what about extended release medicines? Some of them use a rather complex system, sometimes there is a unique system made just for that one medicine because of its unique properties. Sometimes if XR tablets are not released properly or at the right time in your body they can degrade into harmful substances, if say they dissolve in the stomach rather than mid intestine.

What about these Indian Pharma’s? I wonder if they have the quality control to develop these systems effectively.

• TaterTom says:

@Telekinesis123: Given their skill at call center jobs, even when they give themselves fake american names… I’d say NO.

I didn’t know XR pills were meant for your intestines. I thought those were called suppositories.

38. mommy_dearest says:

Generic anti-depressants have the same ingredients, but they were finding people becoming suicidal while taking them, because the time release coating was different than on name brands, meaning people were not getting the correct dosage. So yes, there are some major differences.

[www.msnbc.msn.com]

39. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I would agree with other commenters that have already mentioned that generics (for the most part) have the same active ingredients, but the inactive ingredients are not the same. I’ve personally never been able to tell the difference, but I believe some people do have reactions to generics.

Of course, when the shoe is on the other foot, I’m sure the bolls tells Janet “Oh, don’t worry, generics are just the same!” when she asks about why her health insurance has a $50 copay on non-generic prescriptions.

Oh, and one last thing..her boss is a dick. The jerkwad should do his owned damned shopping and should stop berating his employee for doing what she thought was the right thing.

40. maztec says:

I have had my wife pick up both generic and branded sudafed, powder them, and give them to me blind – so I could see which really worked better for me. Consistently, the branded sudafed worked better, longer, and did not give me headaches. I don’t know what to say about that, but that was the case. On the other hand, we did the same thing with other generic brands of sudafed – and they worked just fine. Stupid RiteAid brand.

41. simplekismet says:

Wow, I really thought that with two pages of comments I wasn’t going to have a chance to say anything because Consumerist readers are usually pretty intelligent?

I have worked hospital pharmacy as a pharmacy technician for the last three years, retail pharmacy two years before that, and will be starting pharmacy school in the fall. I have a BS in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology.

Let’s get one thing straight: big pharma lies to you. If big pharma tells you that their brand name drug works better than the generic, there’s one good reason: because they want you to buy their brand name drug over the generic.

There are a FEW drugs in which sensitivities have been found but the way this is handled is not to put everyone on the “brand” name but to make sure that if you start on one manufacturer, you stay on that manufacturer. However, about the only time you really see any of this is in retail (where the customer is always right). In the hospital, we stock whatever is cheapest at the time we ordered it. No patients have died yet.

Yes, the inactive ingredients can differ. The only time I have seen any problem has been with one of the generic Vicodins, apparently one of their inactive ingredients is something that a lot of people are sensitive to (like a true allergy, not this “my stomach hurts” bullshit). In reality, 99.99% of the drugs out there you don’t notice the difference, if there is any, in the fillers.

Someone said, “generics are cheaper because they use inferior ingredients” – wrong – generics are cheaper because big pharma jacks up the price on the brand name drugs.

Next time you get your generic pantoprazole, take a look at the tablet. It’s brand name Protonix. It’s the same damn tablet. There’s a number of generics out there that are the exact brand name drugs made by the exact same big pharma companies and marketed by their generic division in order to keep the price jacked up and retain market share.

And someone commented on the cleanliness of the generic-producing plant they worked at – you really think the big pharma brand name plants are cleaner?? (If you saw all the recalls that don’t get past the wholesaler level, you’d know the answer is NO.)

• DanR2 says:

@simplekismet: Seriously, thanks for elevating the level of discussion above the rest of the total nonsense in these comments.

I can’t believe people are making a case and actually believe inactive filler ingredients matter.

42. Brandon Shreve says:

I’m more curious as to why this person is being a personal lapdog to their boss… The guy honestly can’t get advil himself?

43. valthun says:

I will generally try the name brand first, to see if it works for me. If it does, then I will buy the big bulk amount of pills in generic form. However the generics will usually have a worse form of opening the tablet if it is a cardboard box, compared to a pill bottle.

44. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

my insulin doesn’t come in generic – but my cat’s does – sort of. you go to walmart [shhh… i’m telling a story here, i don’t want ‘walmart is evil’ feedback until i’m done, thanks] ask for reli-on N insulin. they hand you a bottle of novolin N insulin in a reli-on N box. novolin N: $45. reli-on N: $24. obviously there’s no difference except the extra sticker over the original label, and the price is $21 less.
    at those savings it’s practically buy one get one free and i’m going to walmart for the cat’s insulin because she doesn’t have insurance.

• RandomHookup says:

@catastrophegirl: Why, oh why, do our cats insist on going without insurance? Why don’t they just get a job? Do they think the government should give them a handout? I’ll bet most cats don’t even have the papers to show they are here legally.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@RandomHookup: nah, she has all her papers. and her job is being cute, but it only pays room and board and doesn’t come with benefits.

45. PinkBox says:

I’m allergic to some coatings pills come in, so yes. Generics CAN be a lot different sometimes.

At any rate, I’d rather be asked before someone bought the generic version of something for me if I asked for the non-generic.

• h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

@PinkBox: The coatings differ even between brand name meds too. I get severely ill from 600mg Trleptal brand name tablets, but could take the 300mg tabs just fine.

46. esp13 has a pony named Steve says:

Ok, I forgot that THIS particular story involves OTC meds, but the same applies to prescriptions.

47. radiochief says:

If your boss tells you to buy something specific you should buy it. The only time I can see not doing that is when you are very friendly with them…

I worked in micro/molecular all my career. For experimental antibiotics and private label foods, drugs and preparatory agents.

And yes, in specific individuals with specific drugs, generics might not be the best idea. But especially with that MSNBC citing- a woman goes off a name brand anti-depressant- goes on a generic and suddenly she suicidal and then she goes back on the name brand and isn’t…? That’s pretty dubious. I’m not saying it did not happen to her… But really, it sounds like she has been misdiagnosed. Perhaps she has some mania issues or bipolar w/depressive features…

But active ingredients are active ingredients are name brand drugs are generic drugs.

All the ‘inactive ingredients’ do in pills is to make the pill more palatable or, the pill physically easier to break down in stomach, or not- with time release technology, or preserve the active drug. That’s pretty much it.

And if you try a generic and it does not work out (especially with a Rx), contact your MD immediately and get the name brand. But let’s stop acting like private or generic label is evil cabal trying to kill you to get your $15 co-pay.

48. Yamunation says:

I often buy generics, but if someone wants something specific, I’d just do that. You can do what Janet did if it’s for your spouse or kid, but not boss. That said, the boss should have just asked her to return it, not berate her either.

49. microguy07828 says:

I worked in the field of Industrial Microbiology for many years and have worked for and with many different generic drug manufacturers.

Generic drugs will have the same level of active ingredients as name-brand drugs. However, sometimes inactive ingredients may vary (binders, fillers, etc.). This should in no way affect the performance of the product. All generics are tested thoroughly to ensure that the active ingredient levels are within specification. Other tests are routinely performed to ensure quality, such as dissolution (dissolve rate), tablet hardness, coating thickness, etc. As a general statement, generic drugs should work as well as the name-brand drugs they are designed to replace.

I can tell you from my experience that generic drug manufacturing plants generally do not have the level of internal controls in place that many name-brand manufacturing plants do. Generic drug manufacturing plants are inspected by the FDA just like the manufacturing plants that produce name-brand drugs, but as a general statement, they are not scrutinized as much.

When a drug is new and produced only as a name brand, the manufacturers are held to very high standards. As time goes on, patents expire and generic manufacturers start production on their generic versions of the drugs. Since the drugs have already been scrutinized while being produced under a name-brand and have stood the test of time, the FDA generally seems to relax their standards a bit.

The FDA also has enormous incentive to keep generic drug companies in business. Generic drugs mean lower prices for consumers and lower prices for the government when they pay for drugs for people using government health plans (Medicare, Medicaid, etc.).

As a general rule, most generic drug manufacturing plants are not as clean and state-of-the-art as the plants that produce name brand drugs. They are clean enough and modern enough to produce the product, but most generic drug manufacturing plants are generally not top-of-the-line. Consider the difference between the name-brand drug manufacturing plants and the generic drug manufacturing plants similar to the difference between flying first-class and coach. You’ll get to your destination either way, but the quality of the experience and amenities will vary.

The quality of labor and training at generic drug manufacturing plants is sometimes lower than that at the name-brand manufacturing plants. Generic drug manufacturing plants generally pay lower wages than name-brand manufacturing plants, so they usually don’t attract the top talent. I’m not saying that the labor quality at the generic drug manufacturing plants is bad, it’s just generally not top-notch.

Keep in mind that if companies are going to sell a product for less, they need to produce a product for less. That means generic drug manufacturers have a lot of pressure to cut corners wherever possible to keep costs down. This includes purchasing cheaper quality raw materials, often from foreign suppliers.

Consider the following: A bottle of Bayer Aspirin (100 count, 325 mg) on Amazon.com is selling for $8.82. See the link.

[www.amazon.com]

A bottle of generic Aspirin (100 count, 325 mg) on Amazon.com is selling for $1.13. See the link.

[www.amazon.com]

In this case, the name brand drug is selling for almost 8 times the cost of the generic brand. Is the quality any different between the two brands? It’s hard to say. What I can tell you is that the generic manufacturer has to do things a little differently than the name-brand manufacturer to bring you a nearly identical product for 1/8 of the price.

In conclusion, generic drugs are designed to deliver the same active ingredients, in the same concentrations as name-brand drugs. The consumer should notice no difference between the performance of a generic drug and a name-brand drug. However, there are often different internal quality standards between generic drug manufacturing plants and name-brand drug manufacturing plants. This ultimately should not affect the quality or performance of the product.

If drug performance is your main focus, generics are the way to go for you. If ultimate quality is your main focus, name-brand drugs are probably your best choice.

P.S. Just as a side note, I personally purchase generic drugs for my own use whenever possible.

My disclaimer: The statements listed above reflect my experience in the industry. Other people in the industry may have had different experiences and ultimately have different opinions.

50. Megan Squier says:

I’ve been using generics for years and haven’t had a problem aside from the fact that some medical staff get confused when I refer to a medication by its chemical name. Trileptal, a seizure medication I take just went generic last year and is thus called by it’s chemical name of oxcarbazepine. When I could get the generic, the only issue I had was the fact that the generic absorbs into the system a little faster because of the different inactive ingredients.

My husband and I always buy the generics as a rule. His medical insurance from work has a $30 co-pay for brand name and a $15 co-pay for generic. That’s a $180 a year savings on one medication alone. All OTC medications are bought generic too and we’ve never had a problem. We’re 20 something tightwads!

I’m amazed at how many people don’t buy basic grocery items like milk and butter generic. I used to work as a cashier in a grocery store when I was in high school and we had a lot of customers that used WIC vouchers from the state for things like milk, eggs, baby formula, etc. I can’t count how many people pitched a fit when the state would only let them get the generic milk! They thought that the more expensive brand was somehow “better”; it all comes from a dang cow!

My parents lived down the road from a dairy farm that sold their milk to two different dairies; the one that processed the generic milk and the expensive dairy. Same cows, same feed, same conditions; not worth the extra dollar per gallon for a label.

51. richcreamerybutter says:

It makes me feel like I must be taking crazy pills.

They must have been those inferior generic crazy pills. Count yourself lucky. Unfortunately, not even the brand-namiest pharma company is capable of creating a drug that will cure the doltist condition of your boss and coworkers.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@richcreamerybutter: no, you CAN get prescription belladona [deadly nightshade] but you’d have to use an off-label [and larger] dose to cure that condition.

52. Tim says:

Might want to get out of that company, Janet. Sure, this was just one person’s personal preference, but if someone making decisions at that company has an obvious preference for things that basically waste money, in this economy, it’s pretty stupid.

Just saying.

53. CountryBoy says:

Sounds like a ‘hostile work environment’ and I am sure ‘pharmacy runs’ for the boss isn’t in the job description. I would sue his ‘belittling’ self. Obviously a man with self awareness, self esteem and genital issues.

54. prodpoke says:

call me superstitious but i believe that if a company only works to copy other medications, the reason why it shadows them is because they’re inferior and would probably take shortcuts. i feel like a name brand have a reputation and an image to uphold we’re critical about and generics just have to pass the test. not that i’m a huge fan of pharmaceutical companies to begin with. it goes beyond the realm of drugs into food, clothing, etc.

55. Anonymous says:

I grew up in a cost-conscious family and used to believe that generics were identical to their name-brand counterparts too. It was Advil, in fact, that first made me question this. Advil works extremely well for me. I bought generic ibuprofen to save money, and discovered that it consistently had a reduced or no effect. The experience that truly convinced me, however, was my birth control pills. I had been using a certain brand for a few years, and I loved it because it reduced my period to about one day a month. Then my supplier switched to a generic version which was supposed to have the same ingredients, but strangely this one did not reduce my period at all! After these experiences, I am now extremely skeptical of generics.

56. Quilt says:

Way to be the bitch at work. Not only doing your bosses shopping, but being openly laughed at and mocked while having to sit there and take it.

You’re never going to live this down. You understand that, right? Your boss will continually bring it up. Constantly making you the bud of a joke in front of new people. That is…until you stand up for yourself.

57. farker says:

Ok TONS of people here are missing the point. For OTC meds, I can’t see how the generic brand would be any different if the ingredients are the same. (I just used Walgreen’s Wal-phed and Wal-tussin to get over a cold, seemed to work fine.)

For prescription meds, I think you need to get your doctor’s approval, but that’s NOT what this woman’s issue was about.

Those two things being said, I find it laughable that this woman’s boss thinks generics are different. It’s up to an individual’s personal preference, generally.

It’s also extremely worrisome that he would go out of his way to embarass her in front of her peers, very poor choice.

Of course she could have never anticipated that would happen, but nonetheless, if he asked for Advil and was going to reimburse you no matter what, why didn’t you just follow instructions?

58. minneapolisite says:

I buy small bottles of brand-name drugs and large bottles of generics. Whenever the small bottle runs out, I refill it with generics. Then, when I have to take Tylenol in public I don’t have to suffer through my acquaintances’ inane comments.

59. NewsMuncher says:

I love how there’s something like 30-40 different toothpaste varieties on the shelf at the grocery store, but if you flip them over on the back they all list fluoride – in the same strength – as the active ingredient. Some special brands – like Arm & Hammer – actually have other ingredients that make a difference. And surfactants or lack of them can make a difference. But besides taste and color, it’s ALL THE SAME THING.

60. duckfat says:

My partner take Xanax and there ABSOLUTELY is a difference with different generics. We had to switch from Rite Aid to CVS because they kept stocking these little triangular Xanax pills made in China. They did not do anything and people that take Xanax know when their meds aren’t working.

He later lost his insurance and now gets proper working pills from Canada. This wasn’t a case of name brand being better it was probably fraud as he saw no effects from the Chinese pills. Other generics worked.

Avoid Chinese (and probably Indian) meds is my advice.

61. WeAre138 says:

I don’t know if this is the same for drugs, but in the case of ice cream, generic can be better than brand.

My roommate has worked at a major ice cream plant for years. He told me that when a grocery store pays them to produce their brand, say “Albertson’s” that the grocery stores typically have hire health standards than the actual company does for their own products. They also send analyst in to make sure their standards are being observed.

Wonder if that holds true with other generics…

62. redhelix says:

Heh! Last time I went to buy pseudoephedrine at my pharmacy, the pharmacy technician suggested I don’t waste my money on sudafed and get generic instead; the active ingredients exactly the same. (At the I did not realize there was a generic psuedoephedrine at CVS, which made me happy.)

I’m sure your boss is a smart guy, but there isn’t much excuse for being THAT ill-informed over drugs you willingly put in your body.

63. RB_Bhoy says:

what i was always told by doctors was that no, there IS NO difference, however you should stick with one version of the med. for example:

you’re continually prescribed percocet. you shouldn’t go back and forth each month from percocet to generic oxycodone. to get the same baseline effect of the drug, you should stick with just the brand name, or just the generic. back 10 years ago when it cost be $5 for brand name and $3 for generic, i opted the 2 extra bucks for the brand name. now it’s $7 generic and $15 brand name (well, that was at least while i had insurance : now i pray that i can get a generic for any meds i take).

kind of off topic but: how can a generic drug (in this case tramadol) cost $51.99 at one pharmacy (walgreens) and no lie, $4.49 at another (target)? same generic drug, same amount dispensed. ridiculous.

64. doodaddy says:

interesting that you chose Flonase as the medication which has a generic that works just the same. My Mother was using Flonase and it ended her headaches. Then the generic came on-line so insurance insisted she switch. But the generic does not stop the headaches. but the insurance insists it does…

65. h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

As Floraposte noted, I start cheap and work my way up. I always go generic if there is an option. If that doesn’t work, I go brand name. If *that* doesn’t work, I change meds. One of my medications now doesn’t come in generic and I’m nervous about changing formulation if a generic does hit the market only because I don’t want to fix what isn’t broken. I’ve had reactions to fillers in brand name meds before and I know I’m sensitive to inactive ingredient changes. If they had a generic option on the market from the start I would have take that initially.

66. bonzombiekitty says:

I opened my room mate up to the world of generics. A couple years ago, he and I were at the pharmacy looking for cold medicine. I grabbed a generic box of something and he grabbed a name brand box and started complaining about how expensive it was. I told him to just get the generic brand, and he asked why he would do that. So I flipped the boxes over and showed him that they’re both the same thing, and he’s paying more for a brand name.

You can also save by buying individual drugs separately and “mixing” them yourself rather than buying combo drugs. For example, Tylenol Cold is just (let’s say) Tylenol and Sudafed in one pill. For a slightly higher up front cost you can buy a bottle of generic acetomitophen (tylenol) and a 48 pack of pseudophedrine (sudafed). Now you just take couple of the generic tylenol and a sudafed and then you have your own Tylenol Cold. Savings wise, you have a lower $ per home made tylenol cold dose than the regular tylenol cold. Also, you now have something more versatile. Just have a headache, but aren’t stuffed up? Now you’ve got a bottle of generic Tylenol to take rather than either having to take an unnecessary drug along with it or purchasing a separate bottle.

67. iamdmann says:

the different filler ingredients are the key here. if a generic contains gluten but doesn’t list it because ‘it’s the same as the brand name’ people with celiac disease (or other ingredients and other intolerances) can get very sick. sometimes buying a brand name is a safer choice for legit health reasons. for me, knowing that my medicine won’t have me in bed for days on end is well worth the difference in cost.

68. majortom1029 says:

Some Generics are better . I am taking levoxyl which from what I understand is the generic of synthroid. My body absorbs levoxyl better then the synthroid. Plus its cheaper. $10 for a 90 day supply

69. Anonymous says:

thank you porshegal for outing the differences between generics and brand names! it’s about time someone credible (ie, who’s actually worked in a generic manufacturing facility) has spoken up. there are also differences in formulation — like older “first generation” version of these drugs that are marketed as generics. other differences include inferior coatings that affect taste and the way the product is absorbed after it’s ingested. so, branding is not just advertising markup, despite what a lot of consumers think…choose for yourself. personally, i always go with the brand.

70. infected says:

Don’t feel bad about that.. people are incredibly sheepish and the “bandwagon effect” is all over the place. Just look at the staggering amount of people that reject well researched science like Evolution due to a belief in God.

71. SidusNare says:

When I get bad headaches, I don’t know why, but the store brand of Excedrin migraine (an Acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine cocktail) don’t work for me. I can take the generics separately and it works, but I don’t want to carry 3 bottles around. I have to have the name brand.

The generic diphenhydramine and pseudoephedrine (benadryl and sudafed) work great.

Also, pay attention to dose and bottle count, I was at a CVS and did the math and the 100ct name brand was cheaper.

72. Rectilinear Propagation says:

I just hope Janet’s looking for a new job. I know it’s really hard to get one right now but that jerk went out of his way to embarrass her.

73. Veeber says:

In most cases the generic is fine, but people do react differently in some minor cases. If the generics don’t work for your boss and maybe it’s just the placebo effect that he needs fine, let him spend the money. But for him to ridicule you for that is a “Go get your own pills from now on”

74. Michael Monaco says:

Generic is not the same as name-brand, due to absorption rate: in order for a generic drug to get an approval stamp by the FDA, the generic’s active ingredient absorption rate must be within a certain range of the original’s. In most cases, this really doesn’t make any difference, but in cases where the dosage is very important to get right (I think blood pressure medication is an example. Lithium DEFINITELY is.), generics can actually be dangerous.

• johnva says:

@Michael Monaco: Yeah, everyone always says they are “the same”, but what a lot of people don’t understand is that it depends on what kind of drug it is and how it’s delivered. Generic drugs are actually ALLOWED to vary a certain amount as far as the delivery rate, etc. For 99% of drugs, it probably doesn’t matter at all. But for drugs where that really makes a difference, it can matter. A big one is various hormonal drugs, including birth control pills…a lot of these not only have very small (microgram) doses, but also can be difficult to change from one formulation to another. It’s not always the brand name that works better (sometimes the generic does, actually) but once someone is on a formulation that is working for them with these drugs where that’s difficult to get right, it’s not such a great idea to change to a different formulation.

Another problem is that insurers are now trying to coerce people into changing to generics. That’s fine most of the time, but not when a doctor has a good reason to not prescribe the generic. My wife had been taking a certain oral BC brand (after going through a number of different ones with her doctor to find one that didn’t give her horrible side effects) and then her insurer decided they were going to make her take the generic version of it. It absolutely was not the same as far as side effects (because again, the generic brands can legally vary in the amount of active ingredients and it matters for some drugs). So her doctor put her back on the name brand and the problems went away instantly. She has to pay more for it now though because the insurers are trying to claim that they’re all generics are the same.

75. ohayou_kun says:

People are entittled to their opinions, and in her case she dropped the ball on this one. The list said Advil specifically, if it didn’t she had free reign on which to get. But it did, her crap up. Next time hopefully she’ll know to do exactly what the list says instead of going off and thinking she’s doing people favors. Better safe then sorry.

76. anonvmoos says:

most good pharmacists will suggest generics and give you generics whenever possible. its cheaper all around. why give pfizer more of your hard earned money when the same drug in another country costs 1/10 the price?

all the people here saying generics arent as good are either naive, ignorant, both or paid to tell such lies.

this anti-generic rhetoric is the same bull that the pharma companies used when everyone figured out that drugs were cheaper in canada.

77. deejaypopnfresh says:

she should have done as her boss had asked her or atleast asked him if he was ok with the generic. but the fact that he called her out in front of other employees and laughed about it was completely uncalled for

78. Anonymously says:

My friend swears that Alavert works for her but Claritin does nothing. They both are both brand-name and contain the same exact active ingredient.

79. Subsound says:

Speaking of generic nonprescription drugs there sometimes can be a difference. Just in personal experience I have had same levels of the active ingredient that don’t seem to function as well, or give an adverse reaction that others do not. Sometimes the generic works better then the regular drug…it just depends. However, if some one asks specifically for the regular drug just get it for them…they know why they asked for it and they are the ones putting it in their body.

80. GMFish says:

If your boss tells you to go to the store to get Advil liquid gels, you go to the store and get him Advil liquid gels. Do what you’re told, not what you think is best. Thinking what’s best is your boss’ job, not yours.

If your boss wanted a Coke, would you get him Dr. Pepper because it was on sale, because their main ingredient is the same: Carbonated high fructose corn syrup.

If your boss wanted you to pick up his laundry, would you pick up someone else’s laundry instead, because it was a cheaper bill? Because the suits were made out of the same materials?

It’s not difficult to follow directions, just do what you’re told.

81. banmojo says:

some generics are equivalent, some aren’t. unfortunately, lay public will never know which is which, unless 20/20 decides to do an expose, and even then, most of America doesn’t watch educational TV if they can avoid it.

time release meds, esp, can have bad results when switched to generic form. Someone with Parkinson’s who has had decent control of symptoms on namebrand sinemet CR then gets switched to generic CR formulation can (often DOES) have clinically significant worsening of their symptoms.

But I buy Walmart Equate ibuprophen all the time, and it seems to work just fine.

82. bbagdan says:

I nearly ended my relationship recently when my girlfriend paid double for Advil over the generic, despite my explanation, pleading, and shock. She even has a commerce degree, yet still couldn’t grasp the marketing aspect.

83. quagmire0 says:

1. This is Advil we are talking about in this case. Not some exotic or different generic drug that you may have had a reaction to. It’s Advil, it’s ibuprofen.

2. For everyone taking the boss’ side, you make me sick, you really do. The guy is a jerk, plain and simple, and doesn’t deserve any support for doing what he did. Even IF he had a point, he could have just left it at ‘Sorry, but I prefer the name brand, because…’. Instead he made it a public spectacle. The boss just sounds like a whiner. Suck it up and take double the dose if you’re so worried about it not working as well.

84. Anonymous says:

I take Effexor XR. I recently had an issue where a generic was issued. According to the pharmacist himself, the generic is not as effective as the real deal. Researching it online, you can find evidence that the generic does NOT work as well as the main brand. Also, the generic does not come in doses as high as the real thing, so I was forced to choose between TWO doses of generic or one dose of the name brand. Since the cost was the same, I chose to go with the name brand.

85. ionerox says:

While I have no problems using generics (and saving a boatload in my migraine meds), if someone I’m not related to gave me money and asked me to buy a specific thing- I’d get the specific thing they requested.

It’s like buying someone generic chocolate sandwich cookies when they requested Oreos.

86. Jessica Haas says:

For me, generics ARE inferior. A few times my pharmacy has filled my supposed to be Zoloft with the generic (even though it’s always written on the prescription NO GENERICS) and every time I’ve had a severe change of mood and mood stability. Sure, I’m one of the <5% this happens to, but I’m not going to risk my health and well being just to be frugal.

87. LiveToEat says:

Generic Vicodin make me throw up. Name brand makes me feel good.

88. chrisjames says:

Placebo effect may be important here, or there could actually be significant differences in inactive ingredients or even the manufacturing processes.

I just started getting Walmart-brand Excedrin. It has the same active ingredient list and, knowing how these manufacturers work, it’s possible the same inactive ingredient list as well. Anyway, the name-brand Excedrin has long been useless at helping with migraines like it used to. The Walmart brand, hot damn! but it works miracles. I can hardly feel the pain anymore.

I’m sure it’s just all in my head, but there are differences beyond just price. I suggest people set aside their prejudices and try one over the other, starting with the cheapest of course. If the cheapest works well enough, then why even bother with something else?

89. Phexerian says:

Regarding generic OTC drugs, brand is not better than generic and generic is not better than brand 99.9% of the time regarding the bioavailability levels in your body.

The medications are required to be within a range of 85-120% of the brand dosage amount. With OTC drugs, the slightly varying amounts make very little difference overall to the availability. Note that with prescription medications that are narrow therapeutic index or narrow window drugs (eg synthroid, coumadin, theophylline, depakote), this is not the case. Even with most prescription medications, generic is fine most of the time.

I do not know of any OTC narrow window drugs. The reason being, if there were to be any, they would have been moved to prescription status as they would be much more dangerous.

Anyone who tells you that brand drugs in general are better than generics is a moron and is under the impression of the placebo effect. Most of the time, they take a brand name drug OTC and it tastes better or is easier to swallow so they think it works better and that person immediately extrapolates that subjective value to all other drugs ever created.

Since I work in a pharmacy and am a pharmacy student I hear this crap all the time and honestly it gets very old. I’ve had people go so far as to tell me that generic drugs kill people.

As far as drugs coming from different countries, all manufacturers of drugs get a component or many components of the drug from another country. Some of the factories violate GMP (Goods and manufacturing practices) and get shut down for a while. This recently happened to Ranbaxy and to one of the makers of metoprolol. It is not that our regulation agencies aren’t doing anything, it is that they are understaffed and underfunded. Last time I checked, each manufacturer was inspected once every 2-3 years which honestly is not enough in my opinion.

That boss is a moron and it sounds like the other employees are his cronies or yes men/women. They may also be terrified of losing their job and suck up to this asshole every chance that they get.

In general, go with the cheapest OTC product first and work your way up to whatever works. Most of the time, the cheapest generic acetaminophen or ibuprofen will work fine.

-Phex
    -3rd Year PharmD/MBA Candidate

90. Bocachica says:

My partner is the same way, Never buys store brands or generics. Always buys the brand.

Sometimes it makes sense but not always.

Drugs? No. Milk? Ice cream? No.

etc.

I also discovered the same deal with cellphones. I got a Net10 prepaid phone and learned that they use AT&T’s network for most of the country.

The point is, sometimes there’s no difference in quality, so why not spend less when you can?

Unless you’re a “conspicuous consumer,” in which case, you’re a butt head anyway!

91. HogwartsAlum says:

Some generic meds aren’t the same as the brand name counterparts. On OTC ones, check the labels.

As for food, most generics are as good as the brand. There are certain things I don’t like generic, like certain pasta sauces, cereals and the like, but most of them are fine. Stuff like graham crackers, noodles, salt and pepper and those herb mix grinder things, milk, cheese and some frozen pizzas are good at ALDI’s and not the name brand.

92. GiuliettaGanymede says:

I have had poor experiences with prescription generics two times I tried to use them. One was a muscle relaxer and the other was a pain killer. (I needed both of them at the same time.) Prior to those two times I had used prescription generics a few times and they seemed to work fine but after the two that failed I felt it is was “crap-shoot” if they are going to work correctly. I would much rather pay the extra for the brand name so I don’t have to worry that it won’t work.

I’m not going to condemn all generics since I don’t know about any that I haven’t taken but like everything else YMMV.

93. 89macrunner says:

this is like the time my sister flipped shit on me for not going out and buying her midol at 2am when we had a bottle of advil in the house.

i showed her the active ingredients and she still didn’t believe me. i guess science isn’t good enough proof these days.

94. Grover Cleveland says:

Let’s step away from the whole generic v. name brand drug argument.

Her boss gave her a list of items to purchase, with specific brands listed, and she substituted with another brand. Let’s pretend she bought Walgreens brand tampons instead of the Tampax he listed. While her intentions might have been good (i.e. to save money) she did not bring back what he asked for. If I ask for Tampax Pearl, I want Tampax Pearl, not the John Wayne Wal-pons.

Certainly the error in judgment is not worth being humiliated by one’s boss, but in this job climate, one might think about carefully following one’s boss’ directions.

95. Anonymous says:

My grandfather was recently diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis. I’m not quite sure how it happened, but somehow the third or fourth month he was taking his medication he was given the generic version of his medication instead, and it simply didn’t work (his eyelids were drastically closed and droopy, worse than we’d ever seen before). I broke my foot recently and I was given generic Vicodin, which doesn’t work for me either. I’m constantly told “it’s the same thing,” but it never seems to work that way. Maybe it’s just luck, maybe it’s just me, but I just don’t trust generic garbage anymore. Medication is NOT just the amount of ingredients, it’s the process as well (anyone who’s taken Organic Chemistry knows this). There are many medications that have accurately developed generic versions, but these aren’t necessarily true for all things deemed “generic.”

96. Anonymous says:

Several members of my family are highly sensitive to pseudoephedrine, the key ingredient in Sudafed. The filler in Walgreens generic Sudafed dissolves more quickly, which releases the medication more quickly, causing a really nasty reaction. This never stops the pharmacist from arguing with me when I purchase the ‘brandname’ product – cripes.

97. lostalaska says:

Perhaps a simple test is in order.

Lets take the boss and someone with roughly the same weight and metabolism and have them start taking pills together, say 4 every 10 minutes, since the boss is betting against the generic he can take the generic and one of the other employees can take the name brand. Whoever overdoses first has the stronger meds, and with a little bit of luck you wont have to deal with your boss for a while.

My totalitarian rule of the office may be detrimental to moral, but things sure do get done! I think finance is building forces for a coup, I’ve got to go rebuild my NERF autoturrets…

98. orlo says:

Strange that no one ever seems to report that generics work better. Many brand-name products are often the most cheaply made and lowest quality.

99. Fitwit says:

You can use drugs made in a 3rd world bath tub if you want. Who’s to know. The whole USA thinks they’re equivalent. FDA can’t verify ‘em all.

100. Aisley says:

Ah my dear, I’m so sorry, how sad!!! To find out how stupid your knucklehead boss is, and in such a public way. Please be kind to him, keep in mind that the poor thing has half a brain and even that half doesn’t work!

Now, to make you feel better here’s my personal experience: I suffer of terrible allergy to dust so I have problems all year long. The only thing that works for me is Benadryl. But you can imagine that I cannot afford to spend that much with each bottle costing almost ten dollars. Well, guess what! Shopper’s, the grocery store close to home, sells their own brand same ingredients at $1.99, yes $1.99 the same ingredients and the same amount that in benadryl costs $10.00. Now, why on earth will I go and pay FIVE TIMES MORE for the same thing? Just because the makers of Benadryl have to pay advertising meanwhile Shopper’s doesn’t? As things are with the economy EVERYBODY needs to save! So don’t feel bad at all because of your boss’ reaction. You need to understand that Q@^&% brains cannot work in an intelligent world!

101. sea0tter12 says:

While the active ingredients may be the same, the filler ingredients aren’t necessarily. It wasn’t OTC, but when I was given a generic drug for my thyroid, I had a really bad allergic reaction to an inactive ingredient, and my doctor got mad at the pharmacist for giving me the generic without asking. (I had no bad reaction to the namebrand.) Apparently this happens a lot with this type of drug, and the namebrand actually works a lot better because it’s a pure form of the drug, whereas the generics have filler ingredients. So, while I think your boss was a douche for being that way about it, it can make a difference.

102. tworld says:

Just another asshole who uses his penis, oh I mean his power, to make a joke at the expense of someone who can’t fight back. What a jackass.

103. Michael Sena says:

Sorry to the original author, but generics aren’t always the same. There’s a wide percentage of efficacy that generics have to be inside of, they aren’t always the same and that’s often why they do cost less, because they aren’t as good as the real deal.

Now, in the case of simple advil, I’m sure there’s not a HUGE difference. But with heart medications, I would never get the generic.
    It’s just like buying anything else in life. Would you buy a TV from a vendor that you’ve never heard of, or more fairly, someone that’s not the big-name Samsung, Sony, etc?
    No! You’d question if the TV worked as well, did it have a good manufacturer’s warranty? etc.
    Same case with generic drugs.

In any case, the original author shouldn’t have strayed from her boss’s plan. If my boss asked me for something, I’d consider it the law. If I DID have to switch something, call him first!
    It’s your own fault you got laughed at, sorry babe.