This Verizon Discount Applies To All Plans… Except The One Advertised

Reader Ben says: “This reminds me of the days when Henry Ford used to tell Model T buyers that they could have their car in any color they wanted, as long as it was black. With Verizon, you can have a discount on any plan you want, as long as it’s not the unlimited one.

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

It seemed legit because they forgot to put an
    asterisk * after the phrase New Unlimited Calling.

But the old adage, if it’s too good…

2. ColoradoShark says:

They did have the weasel word “may” in there. It does impy “may not”….

• deliciouscake says:

@ColoradoShark: may != might
      if they say you may, it means they are allowing you to do so
      eg “may i take a break? yes you may”
      “may i save 19% on all plans? yes you may”

• Yossarian says:

@deliciouscake: May may be used to express possibility.

But, hey, if we’re going to hyper-parse, 0% is included in “up to 19%” so it doesn’t really matter whether “may” implies possibility or permission.

3. IcePirate_GitEmSteveDave says:

Well, what exactly is a “monthly access discount”? It doesn’t say the plan is not eligible, just the “monthly access discount”.

4. Allie Trevillian says:

Monthly access discount with Verizon means that you get whatever % off the base price of the plan (i.e. not text messaging, insurance plans, etc). It’s really not that bad of a deal* because the “Unlimited” plans are just the top tier minutes option for any of their different plans. So you can still get a discount on 80-90% of their calling plans.

*Not that bad of a deal if you can get past the stupid wording of their ad.

5. Jeff Schaefer says:

I think this is crazy that you couldnt get the unlimited plan for % off i know this is true because i too went round and round with verizon wireless Corp offices and they would only tell me no. i tried to get this plan and my discount on it when it first came out. now i think i get a better deal with the new friends and family plan with unlimited to 10 numbers.

6. Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

We receive I believe a 17% government discount (he’s in the army) and I find it disturbing that they won’t allow the discount. They are forcing you to take a lesser plan.

• TheUncleBob says:

@verucalise: Perhaps I’m dumb, but I don’t follow your statement. How, exactly, are you being “forced” to take a lesser plan?

• PunditGuy says:

@TheUncleBob: You’re forced to take a lesser plan if the discount is important to an employer — which, in this day and age, it might be.

My employer pays 80% of my cell phone bill. They pushed for us all to use discounts with our carriers. Sprint offers 16%, even on the unlimited plans.

7. c_c says:

Yea I found this out the hard way, I used to have just the 450 min plan and got a 20% employee discount, which was pretty sweet. But last year I had to switch to unlimited and *poof* my 20% discount disappeared.

8. pb5000 says:

We have the same thing with sprint’s unlimited plan, the normal plans give you 25% off but the unlimited doesn’t.

Although the last time I checked they weren’t using the employee discount to promote the unlimited plan to which it does not apply.

9. Anonymous says:

The unlimited plan is already discounted if you talk over 1350 mins then your saving $$. They used to have a 3000 min plan for $120 so you already save $20 if you talk more then your already getting a discount because you only pay $99.99. I used to talk 5000 minutes and my normal bill was $300 for just me, so I will take $99.99 with no employee discount any day than possbily 10%-19% off of $300.

10. Kenneth Bowers says:

This isn’t really anything new, unfortunately. I sell cell phones, and no one lets you get a discount on the unlimited plan. Personally, I find it idiotic, as the unlimited plans usually have the highest profit margin. Most people who use the unlimited plan only end up using <900 minutes in my experience. They just like the idea of “having it if they need it.”
    Average Joe only needs a 450 or 900 minute plan in most cases, but many people see the word “Unlimited” and jump on it. It’s really quite sad.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

@Kenneth Bowers: I agree. If people take into account the people they call that are sharing the same network, how many calls they do during peak hours… it doesn’t pan out usually. We both share a 700 min plan, and because up here in NY Verizon is king, everyone else we call has verizon. So hardly any of our minutes are used. I think we average like 300 a month.

11. Bs Baldwin says:

Hey verizon, keep advertising this in NJ, the AG seems to be doing their job.

12. Anonymous says:

Even if you beg, or plead with Verizon Wireless to give you your employee discount on those unlimited plans, it simply won’t be able to be done. Why? It’s impossible, the billing system is coded to not allow a unlimited calling plan code to be combined with any sort of employee discount. So don’t get angry at the employees when they tell you no, it’s not their fault.

13. johnsakalauskas says:

Interesting because when I requested an employee discount after I signed up for the Verizon North American cell calling plan I was denied and told that our 19% discount applied to all calling plans *except* the North American plan.

14. chris_d says:

“no one lets you get a discount on the unlimited plan. Personally, I find it idiotic, as the unlimited plans usually have the highest profit margin.”
    From a profit standpoint, there’s nothing idiotic about it. You got it right in your post — people will pay extra just to have unlimited even if they don’t need it. It’s a “premium” service. So people will pay for it and the companies know they don’t have to offer a discount. So they don’t.

I can’t believe how willing people are to pay for this unlimited stuff. For 99% of customers, if you really need an unlimited plan, you’re with the wrong cell company. Nearly all of them give you unlimited M2M so figure out who you call most and get on the same network. Then you won’t need many minutes at all. It’s costing us less for 3 cell phones than many people pay for 1.

15. OrtensiaAlcmene says:

You could also try to find out how much tax you’re going to pay on a plan you’re signing up for on line. The Verizon and Sprint systems simply refuse to tell you — which means their systems have refused to tell you the *actual* monthly cost of your proposed plan.

16. Anonymous says:

I do not use Verizon for anything because of their bad practices and this seems like another example. I had my cell and home phone through them. They called me and offered me $5 off/month if I had both billed together. A couple months later I called to ask why this hadn’t happened and was told my cell phone service wasn’t eligible for the discount. Then why did they call me and offer it? And they continued to call me again and again making the same offer. I will never be a Verizon customer again.

17. zyphbear says:

Actually, I had a similar issue, wanted to sign up through Verizon Wireless since I got a discount and even though it lists “ALL PLANS”, I signed up for an EVDO modem and they said this type of plan is not eligible for the discount even though it stipulated it was all plans. They should make a note to show EVERYTHING that is not included BEFORE you buy instead of running through the checkout before you find out.

18. rwalford79 says:

Yeah I have Sprint and they didnt want to give me a discount for this plan, saying it was “heavily discounted” already. But there is no plan on their records that they can compare the “discounted” one to. So its a lie flat out. Ive already had a solution however, I had them add “Pick 3 Unlimited Calling” and then dropped my plan to the 450 Minutes, applied my 25% discount and then complained to the BBB about their deceptive practice of saying one thing, but having nothing to offer in comparison or that allowed the discount of the same minute type.

Needless to say, Verizon is attempting to do the same thing with some people, theway around the whole situation is just to select just under the amount of minutes you need, apply a discount, then ask for some form of bonus minutes, overage credits, and let them see that they are making less money when you use more minutes.