JoS A. Bank Will Refund Part Of Suit If You Lose Your Job

Work suits starting to look a little shabby? Wishing that that cool worn-in jeans look applied to trousers? One men’s clothier is sick and tired of men cutting back on buying suits because of the economy — so they’re promising to refund a portion of the money you spent on the suit if you lose your job.

“We understand the uncertainty everyone is facing,” Jos. A. Bank CEO R. Neal Blake said in a statement this morning. “We want to help the customer look good at work, and if he loses his job, to be dressed appropriately as he meets with his next employer. It’s like giving all of our customers a bit of unemployment insurance.”

The suits have to be purchased during the $199 suit sale, which runs until April 9. You must lose your job between April 16th and July 1st.

Also, you can keep the suit.

So,this that you could buy a car, a new suit and book a vacation, lose your job and spend your new free time getting money back from JetBlue, Hyundai and JoS A. Bank. Sounds fun.

Jos. A Bank to give suit refunds to customers who lose a job [Balitmore Sun] (Thanks, Dave!)

Comments

1. missy070203 says:

How are they going to prove these people had jobs when they bought the suits and prove that they lost them within the time restraint????

2. calquist says:

It should be the other way around: they will refund part of the price if you don’t GET a job in that time range. Unfortunately, they would probably lose a lot of money that way.

3. philmin says:

A $199 suit probably won’t get you a decent job.

• SpaceBat_GitEmSteveDave says:

@philmin: Both of the suits I got at the Men’s Warehouse for $150 have received nothing but compliments. Never used them for an interview yet though.

• ionerox says:

@philmin: Psh, not all good jobs require wearing suits.
      I get paid the same and do the same work whether I’m wearing jeans to work or something “dressy”. Dress up too much in my office, everyone assumes you’re interviewing for a new job. (And yes, I work in a corporate office for a very large company.)

• Notsewfast says:

@philmin:

I disagree. I wear suits every day and have a range of suits that I purchased from outlet stores for under $200 that look as impressive as my custom made suits that were north of $1,000.

The difference is in the fit, but $200 and some good alterations can get you close.

The thing to remember is always buy suits made of decent wool. They’re cool in the summer, warm in the winter, they have a sheen that can’t be matched by cotton and they don’t wrinkle after sitting all day. Get them lined with silk and you’ll feel like you’re wearing pajamas all day.

• MostlyHarmless says:

@philmin: Au Contraire, My Friend, I got 2 very good offers with a $150 suit. Its a great job and I love it. Suit + Resumes + The trip to the career fair all paid for themselves.

• c_c says:

@philmin:
      You’re obviously not in the scientific/engineering field. Dressing up for me is tucking in a button down. Normal work wear is jeans. When I had my interview for my job they were surprised that I wore a suit…

4. ahwahoo2006 says:

Yes, because there is absolutely no potential for abuse here.

/steals company letterhead

5. SpaceBat_GitEmSteveDave says:

So you can deduct it from your taxes AND get a refund from them? Score!

6. jake7294 says:

@ philmin: Get off your high horse. There is nothing wrong with a $199 suit. Many of us can’t afford $1k suits so we get what we can.

7. Radi0logy says:

@ philmin: Shouldnt you be out spending your taxpayer funded AIG bonuses on cars and stuff?

8. parkavery says:

I’m a freelancer – someone please hire me and fire me! I need a vacation! ;)

9. nataku8_e30 says:

@philmin – I’d say being an engineer is a pretty decent job – I managed to land a good position with a sub $100 suit that I owned for long enough to where I can’t remember how old it is… Also, most decent jobs I’m aware of look at your qualifications over the minutiae of your appearance…

10. Tedicles says:

JoS A. Bank actually has some decent threads. The styling is quite conservative, and not much of a fashion statement, but great for your everyday blazer, dark corporate suit type of thing. I go to their outlet store in my area and get GREAT deals, plus they tailor the pants and stuff cheaply at the outlet. I spent $500 last year and walked away with 2 suits, 3-4 cashmier sweaters, 4 prs socks (dress socks), 1 pair of shoes, 2 pair of dress pants and 1 dress shirt. Still use them all…can’t beat that!

• zaka says:

@Tedicles: Very true. These are good business suits and they also sell terrific clothes for business casual. One point I don’t agree with though. I think they actually out source tailoring and I have had some iffy work done. I suggest you buy here and get a trusted tailor to alter the garments instead.

11. Trai_Dep says:

I’m formally stating that if “Giant Purple Tentacled Soda Debuts” headline link at top of page gets bumped for a “Refund Available on a Freaken Suit”, I’m going postal.
    …And I’ve got the writhing, tentacled, purple, condom-sheathed appendages to make it really NSFW.

> It’s in your hands, Consumerist.
    > Promote your next story c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y.

12. Plates says:

I needed a suit for a funeral last year and I got three for the price of one there! They have some nice suits.

13. philmin says:

@ everyone: Ugh… still frustated at not being able to reply in thread.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew I was kidding around… Unless you are interviewing to be the head of some men’s fashion magazine, Im sure a $199 suit (or less) would do just fine.

14. winstonthorne says:

Quit attacking Philmin – he saw a shot and took it. Nothing wrong with that. To quote one of my favorite films, “NEVER CUT FUNNY!”

15. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@philmin: Looks like you replied just fine to me.

16. lpranal says:

What a horrible time for me to start my lucrative barrel-and-suspenders business. Curse you, Banks!

17. godai says:

Heh, I’m getting laid off at the end of June. I think I’m gonna get me a free suit. :)

No limitation on knowing you are getting laid off before buying the suit.

18. wcnghj says:

“You must lose your job between April 16th and July 1st.”

Nice, that just sounds wrong.

19. RandomHookup says:

April 16th…huh? I’m sure there will be plenty of H&R Block tax advisors lined up to get a free suit.

20. Marshfield says:

The Hyundai deal isn’t quite as sweet: AFAIK you have to give the car back.

21. discounteggroll says:

I landed my current job with a $24.XX suit from GoodWill (still strognly employed in my second year)

granted, I did in fact get an “occasional” suit from Jos. A Bank a few weeks ago for $85 along with 3 $10 trousers. Funny how things work out like that

22. Munsoned says:

Every suit (4) I’ve ever purchased from Jos A. has literally fallen apart within 3-4 years of occasional use. I’ve also had problems with their sweaters, and their overcoats loose buttons as soon as you walk out the door. I’ve moved on to other retailers. Man, reading that back, I can’t believe I shopped there as long as I did!

23. elisa says:

Kinda off-topic, but…Does anyone have recommendations for a good (and not too expensive) WOMEN’S suit store/ outlet? in the L.A. area?

only one I know of is Suit Closet. And yes, I’m going into a very conservative industry, where nice suits are a must.

Thanks!