Get A Cheap Hotel When The Airlines Fudges Up

If airlines are hooking up passengers with deals on local hotels (due to crazy weather, canceled flights, mechanical difficulties, etc), 888-895-2320 is the number to call to get a rate on a discounted hotel room. The number won’t work if the airlines haven’t notified the hotels in the area that they’re sending over passengers. “Hotel, motel, Holiday Inn…” (Photo: and parsecs to go)

Comments

1. spoondoggydog says:

Is this supposed to be purposefully vague?

2. Yossarian says:

I believe that may be the first Rapper’s Delight reference I’ve seen here.

How does one determine whether the airlines have notified hotels (short of calling the number, I guess)… not that rushing out into poor weather to get a good price on a hotel is something I’d do very often.

3. Ninja007 says:

If the weather is bad the airline doesn’t have to put you up in a hotel room, but if its mechanical failure the airlines is obligated to find you accommodations. The post isn’t exactly clear.

• bonzombiekitty says:

@Ninja007: The post isn’t about putting people up in hotels, it’s about getting cheap rates. I’d assume that airlines have contracts with hotels to offer people discounted rooms when there’s major flight delays for some reason or another.

4. cybercjh says:

888-895-2320 is the number to call for cheap hotel rooms. But, that number won’t work unless the airlines notified the hotels in the area that they’re sending over passengers.

OK … What is the point of this number then?

• Confuzius says:

@cybercjh:
      I believe the idea is that you can get a discounted room, even if you weren’t on said delayed flight, but if you’re in a city with a major airport, especially near the holidays there’s a good chance that there’s a delayed flight and people are getting discounted rooms and you should too.

5. wcnghj says:

If it was a cancelled flight not due to the weather, or mechanical difficulties and the airline would not put me in a hotel…

A call to my CCC would be in order to get a chargeback on the cost of a hotel and diner.

• keeper1616 says:

@wcnghj: Which the CCC would probably not do, since the airline is under no obligation to offer free rooms and dinner when the delay is not their fault.

• Dennis Peytchev says:

@keeper1616:

certainly one could get a full reimbursement if one chooses the optional insurance. I find the AMEX one pretty generous, 2 hrs delay gets you $50, and overnight gets you another $50 for food, and up to $200 for hotel room. Not too shabby. oh, and its just like $9 per flight, not a % of the price.

• RedwoodFlyer says:

@wcnghj: Man this article is poorly written! This number in primarily for use with indirect weather situations….such as you getting stuck at ORD overnight because the plane you were supposed to be on is still in MSY due to a thunderstorm. The incident is still weather related – so you’re on your own…but since it’s just one flight (vs. thousands of people being stranded), it’s not like every hotel room in the area will be packed full – therefore, the hotels actually have to worry about competing with everyone else in the area, which is why they make these agreements with airlines. It’s usually a reverse auction type situation, and the lowest bidding hotel gets first dibs on pax..etc etc.

6. OctaviaAmyntor says:

Instead of trying to understand this post or dealing with the phone number… just ask for the “distressed (airline) passenger” rate when you get to a hotel desk (assuming the hotel is near the airport, of which there are always many). This rate is always super low and affordable. Quite nice. You usually don’t need a coupon or proof either.

7. Vanilla5 says:

Whatever you do – do NOT stay at a Microtel Inn, especially the one near the Atlanta airport! AirTran “helped me” get a hotel room there (I paid, at some special “discounted” rate after they made me call for myself) after I went through a HORRENDOUS ordeal with them – at the fault of their own people (TWICE!).

That place was so friggin scary. I thought I was going to be beheaded and have a video of it end up on YouTube. I wish I still had the picture of the creepy room to prove it to you. I’ve only been afraid of my surroundings a couple times in my life – and that was one of them.

8. I_am_Awesome says:

It looks like at least four previous commenters understood this post to be implying that you could use this number to get good deals on hotels even if you weren’t stranded by an airline. So I don’t think I’m out of line for saying that I’m appalled that the Consumerist would implicitly suggest that their readers use fraud to get deals. Does the Consumerist hold itself to such low ethical standards? Do you, Ben Popken, have any integrity?

Disgusting.

9. feckingmorons says:

BFD it is a travel agency, Nationwide Hospitality. They specialize in hotels for airline personnel and passengers.

The airlines outsourced this function some time ago and this agency has picked up the business. You can call them for a hotel room if you want but you need a voucher or coupon from the airline.

10. rlee says:

The recent snow in the northeast left me stuck in Miami for 2 nights after arriving there. The airline didn’t comp the room, of course, but they offered me a choice of decent hotels they would give me a discount voucher for. They assured me they had a block of rooms so I didn’t have to worry about not getting one. Since they actually handed me the voucher, I don’t know if you could get the discount just by calling. On the other hand, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with asking the hotel for the lower rate though I agree falsely claiming hardship when you do is a bit sleazy.

11. bbagdan says:

Always book your flight with a travel rewards gold card. Then you have travel delay insurance and don’t have to stay in a cheap hotel. You can stay at the Waldorf.