Evil, Evil Person Steals $800 From Cookie-Selling Girl Scouts

The news just keeps getting worse for the Girl Scouts. First some jerk started paying for cookies with fake money — now some guy in a ski mask robbed some Girl Scouts who were selling cookies outside of a grocery store in Alaska.

According to the Juneau Empire, the girls and their troop leader were just about finished with a four hour cookie shift when “a man in a ski mask and goggles allegedly nabbed a cash box around 5:50 p.m. and fled through the parking lot.”

The troop leader tried chasing the man, but he got away. Apparently someone was quick enough to jot down the license plate of the car, but the Juneau police have yet to comment on the status of the cookie investigation.

Linda Sylvester, program and membership coordinator for the Tongass Alaska Girl Scout Council, said she has never heard of a similar incident involving the annual fundraising event. Last year, someone purchased cookies with a counterfeit $50 bill, and Sylvester said she heard a story of someone using a fraudulent check in Washington.

“Those were the most egregious things that I’d ever heard of, but nobody has robbed a Girl Scout troop,” Sylvester said. “That’s really bad karma.”

It’s tough being a Girl Scout in an economic meltdown.

Masked man nabs $800 from Girl Scouts [Juneau Empire]

Comments

1. N.RobertMoses says:

Given it was Alaska, I am amazed nobody shot the guy dead.

2. Darin Strouts says:

Would they get a badge for that?

3. nakedscience says:

People are messed up. What the hell :(

4. pecan 3.14159265 says:

At first I thought he had stolen the cookies. But stealing the money – that’s even worse.

5. Costner says:

I tell you what robbery is… selling a box of 10 cookies for $4.

• Ninja007 says:

@Costner: and for that price you think they would taste good!

• Tightlines says:

@Costner: Purchasing Girl Scout cookies just a donation to a worthy cause. Why would that upset you?

• Anathema777 says:

@Costner: Right. And you’re absolutely forced to buy them, right? It’s not like they’re the only cookies in town.

• HFC says:

@Costner: What cookies are you buying? All the boxes are $3.50. While the number of cookies per box varies, they are primarily between 15 and 20.

So there! Get your facts straight TROLL!

Jesus, what have I become? I think I need to get my daughter out of Girl Scouts.

• b.k. says:

@HFC: They’re only $3 here. Woo woo!

• scoobydoo says:

@HFC: NO – YOU get your facts straight. The pricing apparently varies per state. Here in IL the cookies are all $4 per box.

I know because I have purchased from one troop member and 2 stalls at the local grocery store.

• Costner says:

@HFC:

Genius. First of all pricing varies – and here they are $4. If you want thin mints, yes you get more cookies, but if you want those carmel delite thingys, you get a something like 10 cookies.

Bear in mind the box sizes are smaller this year than they were last year. I can’t say that is true everywhere, but around here it was either raise prices to make the box smaller, so they opted for the second option.

In any case I was simply making an observation and humorous comment. Don’t get too worked up about it.

(And yes I still buy them as it is for a good cause)

• Graverobber says:

@Costner: Just give the Girl Scouts $4.00, decline the cookies, and ask for a receipt. Then you will have the satisfaction of having done something good for your fellow Americans, you don’t have to question the value of each cookie you swallow, and you can take off the cost as a tax deduction.

Oh, and when the high school band comes around selling almond roca, you have my permission to close the door on them. That stuff looks like cat poop.

• zonk7ate9 says:

@Costner: Not to mention 10 cookies that are smaller than thye were last year.

[consumerist.com]

6. BlondeGrlz says:

7. philmin says:

“Sylv-ester”. For some reason, I imagine this isn’t a typo and people from Juneau have last names like this.

Also… I wonder if the police had a hard time believing they had $800 dollars of cookie sales in that box.

• scoobydoo says:

@philmin: Not really – if they were selling them at the inflated price of $4 per box, that is only 200 boxes. If they had a really good location, like outside a Walmart, they’ll sell 200 boxes in a couple of hours.

8. idip says:

No surprise this is happening. This happened last month in San Antonio as well.

[www.woai.com]

9. jwald says:

Damn cookie monsters!

10. dragonfire81 says:

11. pecan 3.14159265 says:

@philmin: Sometimes hyphens happen when people copy and paste stories to the web and get lazy about checking for these things.

12. squablow says:

Quote “The really sad thing is that whomever stole the money was probably wanting to pay his mortgage or feed his family…”

If by “mortgage” you mean “dealer” and if by “family” you mean “Meth addiction” then yes, I agree with you.

13. grapedog says:

$4 for cookies is stealing…200 boxes of cookies, $800…ridiculous.

14. Laughing-Man says:

What a piece of scum to steal from little girls. I hope when he gets caught the entire scout troop gets to beat him within an inch of his life.

15. dangerp says:

Apparently, even with the ski mask, the Juneau police were able to get a character sketch of the guy:

[tinyurl.com]

sorry, couldn’t resist

16. Onion_Volcano says:

are those beggars still out there trying to hawk their cookies? They are worse than those Salvation Army bums. Everyone’s got their hand out it seems.

17. GreatWhiteNorth says:

BlondeGrlz
    “The universe finally finds the perfect job for Sarah Palin and she fails to appear when needed.”

You have me laughing so hard I can’t even reply to your post properly…

18. codepage9 says:

Serves them right, I had girl scouts double charge me for cookies once. Ordered them and then again on delivery, of course I wasn’t home when they arrived so I had to pay my roomie back.

19. oneliketadow says:

I don’t think you needed to say “Cookie-Selling”, isn’t that all the Girl Scouts do?

20. strathmeyer says:

Is, is robbing them worse than the fact that these little girls are being pimped out to sell a product?

21. nakedscience says:

Uh, oneliketadow, that’s not all the Girl Scouts do. I was a Girl Scout. It is a great organization (not at ALL related to the Boy Scouts, btw) and I have fond memories. We didn’t do much cookie selling, actually. LOTS of camping and fun stuff, though.

strathmeyer, what? They aren’t being “pimped out” — perhaps you need to look up the definition of “pimp.” They are fundraising.

22. lalaland13 says:

@BlondeGrlz: Maybe Bristol sent Levi to get the cookies, because she’s hungry and trying to take care of the baby and the least he can do is rob a cookie stand for her.

23. rpm773 says:

I’ve been trying to clean up the image of the ski mask and its wearers for years. This store undermines years of my hard work.

24. akuma_x says:

Palin needs to do something to make that $17,000 that she stole from the people of Alaska in order to pay for her kids to fly to events they weren’t invited to.

25. FuryOfFirestorm says:

Two teenage girls stole money from Girl Scouts last year. They were caught a few hours later, but had already spent the money on clothes. When asked by the press if they were sorry for robbing little girls, they said they only sorry that they got caught. It’s not surprising that the 2 thieving girls were Paris Hilton/The Hills wannabes…

26. axiomatic says:

If you steal from Girl Scouts YOU ARE SUPPORTING TERRORISM!

27. nakedscience says:

Girl Scouts =/= Hookers.

28. kduhtoe says:

Why do the media and the girl scouts always accuse someone of intentionally buying their cookies with counterfeit bills? I seriously doubt people are saving up their counterfeit bills to dump on the girl scouts every year. I’m quite sure many of us have unknowingly received, handled, and paid with counterfeit bills at some point, and I’m sure many of us have purchased girl scout cookies. If those two events happen to coincide, that doesn’t mean anyone has committed an “egregious” offense.

29. jbrecken says:

Are both of the girls in the photo girl scouts? The one on the left looks more like a brownie.

30. Mr-Mr says:

Anyone who steals from these fundraisers need to get castrated and make them eat their own schlong.

31. chauncy that billups says:

The placement of the eyes on the costume of the girl on the left is really unfortunate.

32. MinervaAutolycus says:

Last year, Girl Scouts outside a local Walmart were selling cookies that would be sent to the troops. I bought a few boxes, got a receipt, and had the sugary snacks sent to Iraq or Afghanistan. Good deal!

33. From the cubicle of PGibbons says:

Canary in the coal mine for this economy.

I stopped buying GS cookies once I realized they were loaded with hydrogenated oils. Last I checked they still do.

34. HogwartsAlum says:

When I sold them, they were 50 cents a box.

Christ, I’m old. :P

35. lostalaska says:

I live in Juneau (Mendenhall Valley), and was at that Fred Meyers about an hour before the thievery took place. The girl in the picture wearing the cookie costume… yeah she looked just as unhappy as in the picture an hour before I’m guessing she hadn’t volunteered to wear that totally lame cookie outfit.

Poor kid should at least get some kind of girl scout badge after this. Do they have one for handgun safety?

36. fall_farewell says:

there are much better charities/places to donate your money and you don’t have to deal with crappy cookies.

37. "I Like Potatoes" says:

@ MinervaAutolycus: Don’t believe that the troops are feeding their girl scout cookies to bomb sniffing dogs. My husband was in Afghanistan and received some cookies from a generous girl scout troop and his guys were very grateful to get them. I’m sure the bomb sniffing dogs are only eating the skittles from the MRE’s.

38. Yamunation says:

What in the world is that outfit worn by the girl on the left?

Had to do four double-takes before I realized it was a face, and not two ginormous boobs and a bikini bottom!

39. TechnoDestructo says:

It’s a city of 30000 people, with no roads in or out.

The odds of this story having a happy ending are pretty high I think.

40. TemporaryAphasia says:

@undefined: @Costner: Dude, I’m in Europe where we don’t have Girl Scouts and I would give my firstborn for a box of Thin Mints. Those things must have crack in them. You’re DAMN LUCKY to be able to pay $4 for a box of pure unadulterated heaven.

41. redkamel says:

I love Girl Scout cookies! Only people to come up with a fundraising thing I actually want to buy (screw Almond Roca, wrapping paper, wax-chocolate bars, abd car washes (its always the boys teams or the marines…)

I too, have been trying to bring the ski mask back. its the only thing that fits my big head and can keep my face warm when snowboarding. It also makes me look like Special Forces, except to my friends, who say I look like a terrorist.

42. chocolate1234 says:

I’ve had Thin Mints in my freezer for the past week. Delicious delicious dinner. MMM. :)

43. lostalaska says:

Well here’s an update on the Cookie Caper in Juneau from the Juneau Empire.

Looks like the Juneau police are close to getting enough evidence to nail the driver of the car and the thief that jumped into it to escape.

[www.juneauempire.com]