2010 Prius Uses Roman Numerals For Trim Levels. Eh?

Instead of stuff like SE, LE and XLE, the different options packages or “trim levels” on the 2010 Prius will be demarcated by roman numerals II, III, and IV. There is no Prius I. Odd. Probably to set it apart from your normal, not-getting-50-mpg cars. [Kicking Tires]

Comments

1. Borax-Johnson says:

I think I like the design of the MMX better than the MMIX.

2. N.RobertMoses says:

I am amazed they didn’t go with, Smug, Ãœber Smug, and Hey Look at me I am Saving the Planet Through Chinese Strip Mining!

• Costner says:

@N.RobertMoses:

Ug….so very true.

They should also come with bumper stickers that read “Yes my total cost of ownership is higher than your car, but people think I’m saving the planet…so that’s worth something right?”

• RedwoodFlyer says:

@Costner: Morons…. the “study” that calculated the TCO as the Prius as being higher vs. the Hummer assumed that the Prius only lasted 100,000 miles, while the Hummer lasted 300,000 miles without so much as a spark plug change.

BTW, it’s not Chinese Strip Mining….it’s done in Canada and it’s a mine & fill operation.

3. Canino says:

I will not be yielding right-of-way to anyone driving one of these.

4. Claytons says:

Comment quote/reply system busted for anyone else?

5. mattwiggins says:

Intergalactic Jellybean is right. Good god.

6. dwasifar says:

“Demaracted” by “numberals”?

7. Segador says:

Trim levels:
    Shoe I
    Shoe II
    Shoe III
    Shoe IV

8. mobilene says:

Plymouth tried this on the Fury in the 60s and it looked dumb even then!

• N.RobertMoses says:

@mobilene: But they look oh so much better:

• Mike S. says:

@mobilene:
      And as we Chrysler fans know, the Fury wasn’t the only Plymouth to get the Roman treatment. The 1965-67 Belvedere series (I & II) also used them to designate trim levels. But then, the Belevedere had only two trim levels (plus the Satellite and later GTX) versus three for the Fury–not counting the Sport Fury, Gran Fury, VIP and other variations. I believe the Fury I, II and III ran from 1965 until 1974.

9. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Maybe they can partner with Jellybelly and instead of roman numerals they can use flavors. Who’s driving the blueberry and who is driving the coconut?

10. mistaketv says:

That looks like a concept car. That can’t be the actual production model.

11. pecan 3.14159265 says:

@mistaketv: I don’t think that’s the actual model…I’ve seen a photo of what I think is the actual model and I think it’s not quite as jellybean like.

12. econobiker says:

Or another bumper sticker:

My car gets 30mpg & only cost $2000 used. Eat that Prius owners.

13. pecan 3.14159265 says:

My only problem with the Prius is the price. There’s such a huge demand that a used one is often just as much as a brand new one. I would love to drive a Prius, especially since I think it looks better than the Honda Civic hybrid, but my motivations are for the awesome gas mileage, not to save the environment. I save the environment by taking public transportation, and by walking. On the weekends I drive an SUV, so maybe that negates it…

Oh when are we going to get a hybrid Honda Fit or Toyota Matrix? I would love one of those.

14. DoctorMD says:

–Funny quote. Don’t remember the source

15. quagmire0 says:

@pecan: Correct. The roman numerals won’t appear on the car, they are just to organize the trim packages that you see when you go to buy the car. So, the only place you’d see it would be on the sticker.

16. quagmire0 says:

The Prius is a nice car, much like most Toyota’s. It’s not a family car by any means, and once our family expands past two kids we’ll probably need to trade in my Civic for an SUV. But for now it keeps us from amassing ‘junk’. When I need to haul something, I just call my in-laws who have an SUV, or I rent. Although with the back seat down, the Prius has tons of room.

• ZukeZuke says:

@quagmire0: Horrid rear visibility though. Giant blind spots by the C-pillar and the thick window spoiler. With the rear seats up, it’s even worse.

Most of our staff like driving our Prius pool cars for MPG, but feel a bit unsafe because of those features.

• RedwoodFlyer says:

@quagmire0: Toyotas, not Toyota’s! Charles Barker Toyota in VA has that mistake all over their sales material and ads…drives me nuts!

17. rickhamilton620 says:

@pecan, the new Honda Insight uses some Fit mechanicals to keep the cost down… It starts at around 19K.

18. xerotope says:

The current Prius uses Arabic numerals for the trim levels: 2, 3, 5

19. frodolives35 says:

Alot of you are full of crap my wifes prius goes just as fast just as quick as any other car we have owned. If you have to go around the driver may be hyper mileing and can get up to 80 miles per gal. We however drive ours like a normal car and get right at 50 mpg. I guess it helps to offset my jeep at 19 mpg. Yall quit hatin.

20. Czum says:

I’d like to see a variation of this on all cars: add a prefix on every model made by a given manufacturer, from $ to $$$$ to indicate how much bail-out money they got from taxpayers. Sort of a scarlet letter approach, but in this case justified.

21. hedonia says:

@DoctorMD:

“For every gallon of gas saved by a Prius, 3 gallons are wasted by everyone else slowing, waiting, and getting around said Prius
    –Funny quote. Don’t remember the source “

Are you dumb, or just ignorant? That’s neither funny, nor does it make any sense.

22. yagisencho says:

I considered the Prius in my recent round of car-buying. The dealers know they have a good thing going though, and charge a hefty premium for one. The cheapest I could have realistically driven one off a lot was for 25k. As it was, most were marked in the 26-29k range. Sure, they were covering sales tax at the time, but big whoop.

Ended up going with a car (Scion xD) that cost 10k less. Even with gas at $5/gallon, it will take fifteen years to make up the difference in fuel costs. And I’ve never owned a car for fifteen years.

Hoping my next vehicle is a plug-in hybrid.

23. admiral_stabbin says:

Personally, I prefer the simplification. I hope this starts a “follow the leader” trend…

24. mcjake says:

I gotta say it makes sense. I never liked the DX LX EX system of levels.

25. WTRickman says:

Chrysler did this back in the 70’s with the Plymouth Fury I, II, III and Gran Fury.

26. parkavery says:

No “I”, ehh? Is that the same logic that keeps some restaurants from selling “small” pizzas/drinks? (I’m looking at you, Pizza Hut!) No one’s supposed to want the “worst” option.

27. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@Claytons: Sorry, it just gets annoying when the first comment of almost every post is “Reply feature broken?” and nothing pertinent to the article!

28. Manksgloob says:

The picture is of a 2010 production model. It was redesigned, that’s why it looks slightly different.