Reply Button Issue Being Worked On

A number of users have reported that they’re having issues with the reply button not working or appearing in the comments. It popped up last week, then went away, and now it’s back again. Our tech team is on it and consider a high-priority. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. Sidenote: While we’re still on the Gawker platform, you can directly submit bugs and errors to tech at getsatisfaction.com/gawker.

Comments

1. Snarkysnake says:

Why not also work on why our profile has disappeared? Or did I miss a memo somewhere ?

2. NoO and A_GitEmSteveDave says:

Any chance we can get a picture of Captain Duvel Moneycat, with a little static bracelet on, hard a work debugging the code?

3. Raekwon says:

But are you taking it seriously?

I like how you specifically avoided that phrase :-D

• MostlyHarmless says:

@Raekwon: Damn. I was just going to ask that myself!

Just yesterday i was thinking. If i EVER startup a startup and if it ever messes up embarrassingly (which it sure will), i will BAN anyone from saying “we are taking it very seriously” ever.

• stevejust says:

@Raekwon:

It is still happening to me today, but in this thread, ironically, it’s letting me reply.

Ben, you buys are not taking this serious!!!

4. calquist says:

Phew- I thought I was just slowly being banned from commenting.

• Gokuhouse says:

@calquist: Yeah, that was my first thought….If you must reply to someone…refreshing the page until you see the “profile” link at the top seems to be the only time the reply button actually works. It took me 5 times to get to reply to you!

• calquist says:

@Gokuhouse: It is a handy way to weed out crap comments. After a couple refreshes you get the chance to seriously think about the ‘genius’ of what you are about to post.

5. Cocoa Vanilla says:

Yeah, that’s happening to me on Safari 4 beta on OS X. (Everyone, post your browser – as a Web developer myself, sometimes things are a lot easier when you know which browsers are experiencing the issue, although it might be all browsers?)

• trujunglist says:

@Cocoa Vanilla:

Browser doesn’t seem to matter. I’ve used Safari 3 Mac, Firefox 3 Mac, Firefox 3 XP, and IE XP, and none have worked. Follow the suggestion above by Gokuhouse and reload over and over until you see the “profile” link if you really need to respond to someone.

6. IT-Chick says:

I just refresh the page and reply is fine.

7. philmin says:

…and now reply works for me (as of this post). Nice.

8. Joewithay says:

I have to admit that pressing the reply to get top of the page is sort of nice

9. jellybean08 says:

on IE,Firefox and Google Chrome i have to hit the button twice and it finally sends it off. It all started after that 1 disemvowel :( and i thought..uh-oh i guess all it took was 1 bad monday morning and a cuppa dry humor and consumerist didn’t want this 1 silly lassy anymore :( *sniff *sniff

10. nakedscience says:

I knew Gawker was still connected to Consumerist… wee, thanks for fixing it guys, it was starting to drive me batty. Which isn’t all that difficult.

11. nakedscience says:

No, IT-Chick, refreshing the page doesn’t work. SOMETMIES the reply button works, usually it doesn’t, and refreshing the page doesn’t change that. If the “profile” link is not on the page, then I know it doesn’t work. It seems to not work on almost all posts except a random one or two.

12. crazyasianman says:

still not replying for me, got ie7

13. nakedscience says:

Also, Snarkysnake, I think the two are related, because if the Profile link is on the post, the comment button works. At least for me.

14. Corporate_guy says:

Is gawker working a sabotage? They have a profile and logout link on the right edge of the header bar and you can click the reply button just fine over there. Maybe it is time to get off their “platform”.

15. ClutchDude says:

No luck here. I click reply and get kicked to the top of the page. Firefox 3.0.7.

16. caknuck says:

And here I was, think I was blacklisted. Or have I been?

17. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Can we get tech support cat on here ‘taking it seriously’ and working to resolve? If not, I’m going to issue a chargeback, switch to a credit union and cut up my credit card :-P

• LandruBek says:

@pecan 3.14159265: As for me, if I can’t interact with Consumerist, I’m going to deposit all those checks sent me by Nigerian 419 scammers, sign up for extended warranties, and ask my cable company to send over their stinkiest most incompetent repairperson at some random time within the next two weeks to hook up my converter box, now that TV has gone off the air. :-)

18. tc4b says:

Oh thank goodness, I thought I’d been banned but was too embarrassed to ask!

19. Crim Law Geek says:

Out of curiosity, are there plans to move away from the Gawker platform? *crosses fingers for a yes*

20. fatcop says:

Yep yep, FF 3.0.7 still jobbed.

21. Cocoa Vanilla says:

Blah. It worked a second ago (I replied to philmin), and now it’s not. Stupid Gawker POS “platform.”

IIRC, Gawker uses Movable Type as well… you’d think they’d either switch to a more “current” blogging platform (i.e. WordPress) or just write their own (my preference!). Yeah, I guess MT is under development still, but still…

22. chatterboxwriting says:

The reply issue is happening for me in both IE 7 and Firefox 3.0.7, so it looks like it is a widespread issue (in response to the Safari user above who asked us to post our browsers).

I’ve rebooted and refreshed several times, thinking the problem was with my computer, but it still keeps happening. No biggie – I’m just glad my computer’s not broken.

23. pecan 3.14159265 says:

It generally only works when you see the Profile and Logout links at the top right of the page…so you can hit refresh until you get that, I guess.

24. KyleOrton says:

Hasn’t worked for me in about a week. Not once.

25. Mr_D says:

So I take it from the “while we’re still on the Gawker platform” clause, you intend to move to something else? Great, I’ve never been a fan of this newfangled comment system.

26. HogwartsAlum says:

Mine’s not working in any browser and I can’t see Profile or Login either. I can post but not reply.

I thought it was just on my work computer, but it did it on my laptop too.

27. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Its been working for me all week.

• Claytons says:

@Oranges w/ Cheese: Ah, here’s the post. Missed it in the RSS feed. Now I’ll stop clogging the comments per Oranges w/ Cheese’s request. Mustn’t muddle the space for for his intractable wisdom.

28. Brunette Bookworm says:

I’m on IE and having problems Gawker-wide. :( It’s iffy if this will even post.

29. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

no reply function on:
    two computers, different locations and service providers: windows xp and windows vista, both running firefox 3.0.7 AND IE 6.0.2900.2180 [that’s an awful version number]

30. QuantumRiff says:

Not a problem per se, but consumerist seems to have integrated something from facebook. (namely ak.connect.facebook.com when I’m loading pages) Unfortunately, facebook is a very popular site for companies to block on their web filters. How sad ;(

31. kyle4 says:

I actually can’t see the sign in/profile section to the right. It’s gone and has been for a few days now. The reply button is consistently showing up for me.

32. Red_Eye says:

Still Broken!

33. t-r0y says:

Still broken for me!

Are you still taking this seriously?

34. trunkwontopen says:

Comments ae not only still not working for me, I’m still not “accepted” after leaving what I thought was decent comments here and there. What’s it take?