Our reader Hank Scorpio, while taking a break from plotting to take over the world, suggested an awesome web tool earlier today: Readability. Drag the bookmark to your browser’s bookmark bar, then click it when you’re on a badly cluttered page and watch magic happen. [via Hank Scorpio]

Comments

1. ReverendBrown says:

Trying that on this particular page gives me the Consumerist Team block of text. Works great on The Register, though. I like it.

2. Hank Scorpio says:

I do what I can.

FWIW: I originally spotted this on [daringfireball.net]

(Just thought I’d give props where it’s due.)

3. Chris Walters says:

@ReverendBrown: ah, I see it instinctively knows where the most important text on the page is, then.

4. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

You can seize the east coast any time, Hank Scorpio, you supervillan you.

5. oregongal says:

This will be a great tool for my oldest son. He was declared legally blind Jan 2, 09 due to complications from Diabetes. Thank you Hank Scorpio.

Also a PSA: Please get checked for Diabetes. This disease is horrible and very treatable. Do it for yourself, do it for your family.

6. oldtaku says:

Unfortunately this fails hard on just about every blog site I follow because it can’t figure out which block is the content. It looks very nice when it works though.

• Hank Scorpio says:

@oldtaku:

Yeah, it doesn’t work with every site. Also, it seems to work best once you’ve clicked on a single article/post, rather than the entire site at once.

7. Con Seannery wants the azure F back! says:

I prefer drinkablility.

8. Islandkiwi says:

Beware! He’ll stick you with the Denver Broncos! He’s evil, I tells ya….EEEVVIIILL!!!

9. eelmonger says:

This plugin is so Kafkaesque.

10. Zagroseckt says:

oregongal

sight wise i know how your son feels.

Greatest tool for someone not totaly blind but who need or wants text to speach on a system….

[www.readplease.com]

The program in that list you want is ReadPlease 2003

to register the trial version in the regestration code box type without the quots “No name entered” Capatilse the “N” in no all els lowercase will register the full version of the readplease pro wich can read any text you can copy to the clipbard (highlight Copy Listen)

You can buy the ATT Voice pack but i find the microsoft voices to be a bit more expresive in there reading.

My settings for standerd reading are. (voice) Mike (speed 3) It comes with a few voices but this one is monotone enough that he’s good to listen to without destracting you.

you might wana start at speed 2 tho. i can speed reed at an overide speed of 20 but i’ve ben listning to computers talk since i was five :p

11. groverexploder says:

They do mention on the site that it does not currently work well with forums or comment-heavy sites.

12. dvdchris says:

Scorpio!
    He’ll sting you with his dreams of power and wealth!
    Beware of Scorpio!
    His twisted twin obsessions are his plot to rule the world
    And his employees’ health!
    He’ll welcome you into his lair
    Like the nobleman welcomes his guest!
    With free dental care and a stock plan that helps you invest!
    But beware of his generous pensions
    Plus three weeks paid vacation each year!
    And on Fridays the lunchroom serves hot dogs and burgers and beers!
    He loves German beer!

13. toddkravos says:

doesn’t work on IE 6, FYI.

and before you ask why i’m using such a browser; i’m at work.

14. swedub says:

I like it very much. It makes reading articles at work easier since it removes all the clutter. Plus it removes other stuff which might make your boss suspicious of you not-working.

However, I have one potential caveat, which might not even be an issue. It pulls one Javascript file and 2 CSS files remotely from lab.arc90.com’s server. So with HTTP referrals and whatnot they could potentially track what pages users are viewing with it. If your super paranoid you could always host those files yourself and edit the bookmarklet link to pull them from your own server. Very neat bookmarklet none-the-less.