No More BPA Baby Bottles In US?

Philips Avent, the nation’s largest seller of baby bottles, announced today that it will voluntarily stop selling bottles containing the controversial chemical bisphenol A (BPA). Attorneys general from Connecticut and New Jersey had written a letter to several bottle makers asking them to stop, and the Washington Post says the six largest baby bottle manufacturers in the country have voluntarily complied.

A Philips spokeswoman points out that retailers and customers had pretty much made the choice easy: “We made a business decision to move out of BPA. Babies R Us was banning it, Target was going to, CVS was going to, and so the distribution channels were lessening and lessening. We felt like we had hit a tipping point with our consumers and with our retailers.”

“No BPA For Baby Bottles In U.S.” [Washington Post]

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’m really surprised by this…really surprised. Where’s the hidden agenda? Are bottles of things going to go up in price?

• cmdrsass says:

@pecan 3.14159265: The bottles are much more expensive – and even better, they leak terribly.

• cabjf says:

@cmdrsass: I haven’t noticed any leaking problems, but then I’ve been using Born Free brand bottles (BPA free to begin with). Maybe other manufactures are having issues?

• ceilingFANBOY says:

@cabjf: I could actually see how being BPA free actually leads to a better seal anyway. Since those bottles are less rigid, they probably grip the lid a bit better. I had a waterbottle that I carried around that was one of the hard plastic ones (probably with BPA, never actually checked the number) and it would leak all the time. Besides, I’m surprised they haven’t switched to BPA free bottles just because they are softer and better to have around little kids.

• cmdrsass says:

@ceilingFANBOY: I’ve been using the Avent BPA-free bottles and the seal between bottle and nipple doesn’t stay tight. Can’t speak for the other manufacturers. I started on them last year when they first began making them. Perhaps the process has improved since then.

• cabjf says:

@pecan 3.14159265: Customers and retail outlets flocking to brands that are BPA free is enough of an incentive to change. Not to mention that you get a lot more good will equity by voluntarily switching rather than switching in reaction to the government forcing it.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@pecan 3.14159265: My mom still has my *glass* baby bottle.

Now I think its funny how she complained about the lack of “designs”… at least my plain bottle wasn’t poisonous.

2. Blueskylaw says:

Pretty soon, behemoths like Wal-Mart will be demanding manufacturers install RFID tags into all their products.

Ohhh, wait…

3. tobedetermined says:

I heard DHMO is also very bad substance too. We should ban that.

/joke

4. Trai_Dep says:

Well, so much for my global economic domination plan of buying uni-sex children’s clothing’s manufacturers stock…

5. psknapp says:

This is good news, though I wish it happened sooner. We have a newborn (4 weeks old tomorrow) and we made sure the bottles were BPA free. I haven’t noticed any leaking issues.

6. Anonymous says:

They were banner here in CAnada Last year – way too late albeit – but banned. I ended up switching to Nuby brand which are awesome, they are cheaper but don’t leak like my old Avent ones and they are BPA free. Althought I am sure 5 years from now something else will come about. One tip I can tell you is simply don’t heat them. Apparently it is the extreme heat that releases ANY chemical from the plastic. I just heat in a mug and pour :) works great.

7. JediJohn82 says:

Avent bottles are the best! I am not sure what the big deal with BPA is but our baby is just fine.

8. "I Like Potatoes" says:

I bought Avent bottles about 6 months ago that were labeled as BPA free. I just assumed that Avent was already doing this.

9. AstraBabble says:

what’s the big deal about BPA? If poor brain development. cancer and hormonal imbalances aren’t any big deal to you, then by all means, keep poisoning your child. I think it is shameful that this company wouldn’t make the right descision until they were forced to by stores and concerned parents. I’m glad the market still works, but BPA has been known to be bad for at least a couple of years in the main stream.

10. Happy13178 says:

Its been banned in Canada for a while now, and no crazy price hikes, no leaky products, it was just a change. It was kind of a non-issue when it was banned up here…seemed like as soon as it was reported as being dangerous, it was banned before anyone got riled up.