EHarmony Reunites Customer With His Money, Apologizes

David, who we noted earlier this week was out an extra $140 because eHarmony decided to open a second account in his name, has written back with an update.

I just spoke to Jack from eHarmony and he has informed me that the amount of $143.76 has been refunded back to my PayPal account and verified by myself. He was sincerely apologetic and even listened to me vent a bit about the situation, which I appreciated. Thank you The Consumerist, its readers, PayPal and Jack from eHarmony.

Glad we could help!

(Photo: David Light Orchard)

Comments

1. harleymcc says:

“Lowered Expectations”

2. Meathamper says:

Now, try speed dating.

• IphtashuFitz says:

@Bearded Rapper even though the whole Joaquin Phoenix thing …: I tried speed dating a couple of times. The very first one I went to I ran into a former coworker out of the blue, had a speed date with a woman whose cousin used to work where I worked so knew all about my job, and also saw one woman who apparently had so much to drink that she passed out and the restaurant called an ambulance. I never went out on more than 3 or 4 dates with anybody I met that way. I tried eharmony for a while and have been dating somebody I met through there for close to 6 months now. Speed dating is totally random. eharmony does seem to do a decent job of matching you with people who are likely to be compatible.

3. broncobiker says:

At least they did whats right, though I can’t help but wonder if it had something to do with the story making to this site…among others it may have showed up on. It shouldn’t take a company risking bad reputation to start getting them to do whats right, but its the sad truth that thats how we have to get things accomplished now adays.

4. TacoDave says:

I’m going to start a new dating site called “eTaco.com”. Send me $143.76 via PayPal and I’ll get you registered right away.

5. your new nemesis says:

Maybe they just didn’t think he and his money were compatible. I guess they were wrong.

6. savdavid says:

LOL! Harleymcc, you are so right! I remember MAD’s Lowered Expectations ads. EHarmony sounds like they follow the same business model.

7. nakedscience says:

eHarmony sucks. But I understand why people use it. I remember when dating on the internet was seen as baaaad :)

• MostlyHarmless says:

@nakedscience: There was a time when talking to people you met online in general was bad. I made some new friends within my city, through ICQ (we had mutual friends as it is) and some of my other friends were like “oooooooooo”. I was like “……. wtf was that”

And the comments need to have a followup feature. I got 13 replies in my last thread and I didnt even notice till today.

• trujunglist says:

@Lucifer_Cat:

Yeah, I hear that. Back when the internet didn’t even have a web to tangle people up, I had many friends online and chatted with them constantly. When I’d tell people or they’d ask they’d get instantly weirded out, like I was doing something insane. Some of my online friends even came to visit or I went to visit them. You should’ve seen people flip out over that.
        Lamers.

8. Rebecca Brown says:

If someone said about me, “The customer lacks the fundamental knowledge of how PayPal works”, I’d need to have ALL my money back.

Whatever works for you, I guess.

• trujunglist says:

@Rebecca Brown:

Yeah really, and then the dude turned out to be a completely wrong dick? Sorry, but my money doesn’t go to douchebags if I can help it

• Javin says:

@Rebecca Brown: But David went on to make it blatantly obvious that it was true. He DOES lack the fundamental knowledge of how PayPal works. As do the majority of commenters on this site.