Disguised As Dishcloths Pile, Man Hides Inside IKEA

Some German’s art project is to engage in “urban camouflage” by creating three different ghillie suits made of bulk IKEA items: piles of dishcloths, boxes, and shopping bags. Then he goes and “hides” out in the open inside the IKEA, blending in with his surroundings and only disturbing shoppers when he moves. Hilarious, brilliant! Here are the videos so you get the full effect:

URBANCAMOUFLAGE [Official Site] (Thanks to c-side!)

Comments

1. TracyHamandEggs says:

Reason #194501 that I don’t get “art”

2. Matt Redacted says:

I think this is pretty damned cool.

Watch the videos on the urbancamouflage site. They are well worth it.

3. Megladon says:

4. Chris Walters says:

This seems like a good time to show this. I want it for trips to the park.

5. Cat_In_A_Hat says:

lol Reminds me of bushman here in San Francisco. He always makes me chuckle.

6. LegoMan322 says:

Its funny as hell but I am curious why they did it? Was it for the fun? Is there an article that I have not read yet?

7. Jay Dutton says:

It would have been a lot cooler if he jumped out and scared the crap out of shoppers.

• Skunky says:

@Jay Dutton: Or was sniping people in the butt with an airsoft marker.

• bobcatred says:

@Jay Dutton: Yes! I was sort of disappointed with those videos… I wanted to see people jump or scream or something…

• I_am_Awesome says:

@Jay Dutton:

I was surprised by the apparent lack of customers. Maybe he did this in the morning when they first opened? I’ve never seen an Ikea that empty.

• kaceetheconsumer says:

@Jay Dutton: I think the point is more to highlight the vast inconsequential nature of all of the piles of consumer goods and their associated refuse surrounding anyone at any given moment. It’s more meaningful in that context to have people just walk past and not notice, or be vaguely curious about slow movement and be forced to think about the giant pile of X, than it is to play a childish game of BOO.

If the point was to spook people, I’m sure he’d have lots of videos of himself doing that. That’s not the point, and actually counterproductive to the point I believe he’s trying to make.

8. J Daniel Ramirez says:

i saw the set of pictures a couple of days ago, didn’t realize there was video too. For some reason, seeing the video makes it seem a lot less interesting.

9. HogwartsAlum says:

I kept waiting for him to scare someone. Although the box person did make that lady turn around and go the other way.

10. Mike8813 says:

I’ve always wondered why computer screens or TV screens sometimes flicker when caught on camera. Anyone care to explain?

• DaddyMagicBritches says:

@Mike8813: TVs appear to the human eye as a constant image, but are actually refreshing itself about 30 times a second, usually redrawing from top to bottom. Cameras shoot about 30 frames per second, sometimes, the camera is shooting faster or out of sync with the refresh rate and “catches” the TV mid refresh. This gives the effect you describe.

11. ChicagoKev says:

CRTs (computer screens or TV screens) will appear to flicker when caught on camera because the Cathode Ray (The CR in CRT) actually redraws the phosphors of the tube (screen) by quickly scanning across and down many times a second, constantly refreshing the image by making the phosphor dots glow. The speed of drawing is the “refresh rate”.

To a human eye, this looks like a continuous image, but when captured by a video camera, often the frame rate of the camera isn’t quite the same as the “refresh rate” of the screen, and so the camera catches the screen in between redraws, thus the “flicker”.

A similar effect is why some people get headaches when using CRT computer monitors under fluorescent lighting.

• lannister80 says:

@ChicagoKev: Which is why you should turn up the refresh rate of your CRT monitor as high as you can (assuming image looks OK).

I can’t count the number of people with PCs running at 60Hz at my office building (which still has a lot of CRTs) because IT is too dumb to know it causes eye fatigue. I’ll change it for people I know, and they always say it makes it SO much easier to look at the screen.

12. pecan 3.14159265 says:

This made me laugh sooo much…I loved the dishrag one much better than the box one though.

13. pixiegirl1 says:

I kept waiting for him to freak someone out, that would have been hilarious but he never did.

14. David Eckert says:

What IKEA is this? There’s like no one there. Mine is always packed…

15. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Consider me amused! I like how people just move in the opposite direction and try to ignore the giant moving pile of boxes or dishrags.

16. Easton21 says:

Super cool idea, but where are the customers?

17. calquist says:

Hmm.. maybe I should give art another chance. I kinda gave up on it after the self-portrait incident of ’98.

18. Michael Ortega says:

Was that a big box of shamwows? The carnie on TV says they are made in Germany.

19. Joessandwich says:

It would have been more interesting had there been people around to actually experience it, rather than him doing it mostly alone.

20. TechnoDestructo says:

“Just look at all the things you can do when you dont have a job! Thats what we need is the +8 million jobless to go out and just start screwing with everyone else :-)”

Uh, this guy HAS a job, doing viral marketing for Ikea.

(reply doesn’t seem to be working)

21. frodolives35 says:

Yet another reason not to scratch your butt when you THINK your alone.lol

22. Meathamper says:

I never really did get modern art.

23. PDX909 says:

I want those 4 minutes back

24. Nick says:

Not art.

25. AhTrini says:

The first one wasn’t funny to me and the second one only mildly funny. It would have been hilarious if the person in the costume had raised up and scared the beejesus out of shoppers.

26. WalrusTaco says:

I’m more amazed by the lack of people at an IKEA. Maybe I need to take a trip to the IKEA Dusselholf.

27. pecan 3.14159265 says:

That’s an IKEA in Sweden, according to the video description on the youtube page…and it’s possible it’s early in the morning or later at night. In any case, it’s also possible not everyone is as fascinated with IKEA in Sweden as they are here in the US.

Can anyone confirm that it’s in Sweden? I can’t tell if the price signs have a dollar sign or something else.

28. AgentTuttle says:

Haha, we just had a “housewarming party” in one of ikea’s living spaces. [improveverywhere.ning.com]

29. corruptsuperspy says:

The one with the towels doesn’t happen at an Ikea — it’s clearly a grocery store.

30. Regina M. Sharkey says:

that is too funny

31. Brent says:

I’m glad he didn’t scare people. The goal was camouflage, not lame Candid Camera pranks.

32. camille_javal says:

@ Brent – exactly – if he’d been very still and jumping out, it would pretty much just be lacking Alan Funt.

33. bufftbone says:

that was kinda stupid.

34. Justifan says:

lol what if the terrorists and pedophiles find out about this?;)

35. Acolyte says:

How come I didn’t see any question marks over the head of shopper when she saw the pile of boxes moving?

36. LiveToEat says:

This makes me think of the movie Toys (with Robin Williams). LL Cool J’s character was really good at blending in anywhere.

37. jwissick says:

This is not art. This is a dumb ass doing what it does best. Being a dumb ass.

38. Rebecca Brown says:

I completely cracked up at the woman in video 2. She sees the boxes shuffling away, and just very slowly turns and goes the other way.