This Grocery Store Truly Understands Tax Season

Reader Kevin took this photo at a Fred Meyer store in Seattle. It seems like they understand tax season pretty well.

Comments

1. Chavez_must_die says:

Honestly this is quite appropriate. I imagine the amount of drinking done by the general populace increase quite a bit around tax season. And I believe this year with the compounded problems of a failing economy, drinking will probably at an all time high just prior to April 15th.

2. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

If they really did understand tax season, that TaxCut software display would be next to the Vaseline.

3. The_Legend says:

The IRS would rather have you dry.

4. pb5000 says:

I need something better than Bud Light after taxes, but hey it’s a start!

5. The Porkchop Express says:

damn you, I was going to say that.

6. the_spaghetti_avenger says:

step 1: get liquored up
    step 2: stare at turbo tax
    step 3: get more liquored up

7. fatcop says:

Should be a display of Bartles & James or Zima. What I used to get chicks liquored up and easy back in HS.

8. Jesse says:

Too funny.

I an accountant at a CPA firm. With the upcoming marathon due to 1099’s getting out late this year, there won’t be too many nights I won’t want a beer or two after getting home late.

9. BeerManMike says:

Wow $12 for an 18-pack!

10. Chavez_must_die says:

I think this is completely appropriate. I mean I bet if you were to look at the statistics, the amount of drinking done increases as April 15th comes closer.

11. SynMonger says:

I got a nice little refund of about $1500 myself. I prefer not to give the government an interest free loan though, so once I saw how much I was getting back, I had my withholding adjusted.

I’m getting about $100 more per paycheck now that goes into savings, and my refund should only be about $70 next year.

12. Eels says:

I like tax season. It still means money for me.

My mother acts really proud of me for getting my taxes done within a week or two of getting my all my forms, but this makes no sense. Why would I postpone something that gets me money?

The act of preparing my taxes becomes slightly more painful each year. I don’t think it will ever be “case of Bud Light painful” though.

13. emona says:

I used to love tax season until I wrote the wrong deduction and ended up owing over $800. After that happy little payment plan ended I swore I’d be more vigilant.

I worked as a contractor for two companies, so will likely owe more this year. Now I hate taxes with a burning passion and to top it off, I lost my 1099MISC forms when I moved. God knows when I’ll be done with this nightmare.

Oh, how I long for my carefree 1040EZ days… tear.

14. HogwartsAlum says:

That reminds me; I need to call my tax preparer and get that going.

No, I can’t do my own. I mess up.

• howie_in_az says:

@HogwartsAlum: I’m going to sound like a shill but I thought the exact same thing before a coworker introduced me to TurboTax. I’ve done 4 filings via TT now and can’t imagine paying someone to do my taxes for me anymore.

The only downside is that we paid $60+$20+$20 for TT (state filings are $20/state) a week before NewEgg advertised it, including one state filing, for ~$45.

• joe18521 says:

@HogwartsAlum:

The key is do the taxes BEFORE the beer.

• dohtem says:

@HogwartsAlum: I used to think that till I tried TurboTax. Now I swear by it.

15. theblackdog says:

I finally got my taxes done last night, after finally getting one of my 1099’s straightened out, thank you Bank of America for delaying me for three weeks *flips the bird*

16. t-r0y says:

TaxCut is the way to go, but I’d pair it with Guinness.

Don’t use TurboTax, it’s so messed up that greatest economic mind in American can’t figure it out.

17. JediJohn82 says:

I got my refund of $12K a few weeks ago. Disney World here I come!

18. Warll says:

Odd, that looks just like H&R Block’s Canadian tax software display.

19. MinervaAutolycus says:

I love Turbo Tax. Our tax is fairly easy, although we have lots of deductions. I got both the fed and state done in a couple of hours. Fed filing is free this year so I sent it right in and our refund was in savings within 8 days. They wanted an outrageous amount to e-file the state, so I mailed it since California doesn’t know when it’ll give out its tax refunds this year.

20. picantel says:

We actually made less this year than last year, stayed with the same exemptions, and now suddenly owe $500 extra in taxes. I feel better knowing that the money we cannot afford is going to pay for somebody’s 45 million dollar mansion. Life is good.

21. AustinTXProgrammer says:

I’ll second turbo tax, but I would have missed the tax credit (loan) from the housing act of 2008 had I not gone looking for it.

I way over withheld last year. I bought a house in October and was taking advantage of the 2008 $7500 credit and dropped my withholding substantially the last quarter to try to get some of it early. I ended up getting unexpected long term capital gains after a company was acquired that added quite a bit to my tax liability, and STILL got back $8600. I have put my withholding back to somewhere in between the two numbers (per Turbo Tax, should have done that last year).

22. u1itn0w2day says:

Drink yes,Turbo no but it is a rather appropiate combination .

I wind up doing my taxes with paper,adding machines,magnafying glass and a prayer .I get the same numbers 3 times in a row over a couple of days I’m done .The IRS might not be but I am .

I figure it’s easier for me to learn how it’s done and what they want by actually doing it line by line page by page and form by form .Sometimes multiple trips to the library .

And after all that it is time for a drink,or two,or three,or four …