Shrink Ray Turned On Latest Issue Of GOOD Magazine

The latest issue of GOOD magazine, which arrived in our mailbox yesterday, seems to be equal parts tongue-in-cheek and an actual attempt to save money on printing. To be honest, it’s the first time we ever made it entirely through a magazine in one sitting, so in that sense we kind of like the new format, even if it’s just for one issue. Of note: if your resume sucks, you can enter it in their resume-makeover contest.

In case you can’t read that, send your ugly resume + a reason why you deserve the makeover to helpme@goodinc.com.

You can read other articles, including ones that didn’t make it into the reduced-capacity issue, at www.good.is.

Comments

1. Preyfar says:

Step 1) Print Resume
    Step 2) Add Cat
    Step 3) …

Oh, you know the rest.

2. N.RobertMoses says:

I think a magazine makeover contest might help them better.

3. redskull says:

I noticed that this month’s Juxtapoz magazine shrank considerably as well. Not as radically as this one, but it was noticeable.

I’m sure the cover price shrunk along with the size, right? ;^)

4. thisotherguy says:

Wow! You sure have hairy arms.

5. Anonymous says:

In fairness to Good Magazine, they say right in there that this mini version doesn’t actually count against the number of magazines subscribers have left – if you had 4 issues left in your subscription a week ago, you still have 4 issues left now. It’s really just a stopgap as they prepare to become a quarterly rather than bi-monthly magazine.

6. HawkWolf says:

“Here is my resume. As you can see, my old one was partly eaten by my tortoiseshell cat, who proceeded to lick my forehead for three and a half hours as thanks for the special treat.”

7. conquestofbread says:

Will the cat help revamp resumes or is this resume help for cats?

I am so confused…

8. Pixelantes Anonymous says:

The previous issue was already shrunk so much I was wondering if the next issue would come as a two-sided printout instead, but I notice they’ve come with a great idea and reduce the page size so that they can boast they still have more than half a dozen pages on the entire issue.

9. mcjake says:

Awesome, i really appreciate the honesty. imagine seeing “Now 80% less content!” on a newspaper. Would make my frickin day.

10. ScottRose says:

I wonder if Wired’s recent B&W cover was an attempt at cost-cutting, or good design.

Has anyone noticed them cutting down on the real expensive gold, silver, and fluorescent neon inks lately?

11. Yoko Broke Up The Beatles says:

Rolling Stone also got the shrink ray treatment a while back….. Oh, if only that meant that they removed the POLITICS from the magazine and just focused on MUSIC.

12. Samantha Brown says:

They actually don’t make any revenue from subscriptions(it all goes to charity) so they make everything from ad revenue. Unfortunately, since sales are down across the board, my guess is that they just had to eliminate pages and condense content:)

13. CumaeanSibyl says:

My resume sucks because there’s nothing good on it. Will they give me a job so I can fix that?

14. MinervaAutolycus says:

So with the Shrink Ray the magazine went from Good to Good Enough.

15. creative differences says:

it used to be GOOD; now it’s just OKAY.

16. STrRedWolf says:

Hey! It’s a magazine even Captian Moneycat can read!

17. Anonymous says:

I love GOOD magazine. I even had a subscription their first year but they stopped sending them after 5 months even though I payed for a year. I talked to their customer service rep who told me they would send me some more issues, but they never did.

18. Avitania says:

Crap – I thought the little magazine was just some sort of spam for renewing my subscription and chucked it straight into the recycle bin. I didn’t know it was supposed to be the actual magazine! Oops.

19. nakedscience says:

I actually like this idea. Would help save the planet, too! And most magazines (and newspapers for that matter) could probably use some shrinkage. Most of it is fluff, anyway.

20. Scott Stowell says:

I’m the design director of GOOD magazine (my studio Open has designed the first 14 issues of GOOD, and I’m in Vermont on press for number 15 today).

I saw your post about the “recession issue.” Don’t worry–that is not the permanent new format of GOOD. There have been some changes in content and frequency, but not size.

The “recession issue” was made in-house at GOOD and sent out to subscribers to tide them over until the first quarterly issue (the design of which looks great, if we do say so ourselves).